Scott Dierking

Small solace in 2019 coaching options

it was the wrong determination by cj and mac but i think the reason they insisted on having say in rhule’s staff is because bowles didn’t have deep relationships in the league and couldn’t hire anyone significant for offensive coordinator- bringing both chan gailey and jeremy bates of retirement - conventional nfl wisdom says you can’t have an entire staff that isn’t from college ranks - plus mac was an idiot so how could cj trust him to help rhule with staffing? idk i would have preferred rhule too of course in hindsight and now there’s talk of joe brady as hot head coach candidate - dear lord we’re are so screwed up

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

Here's thinking outside the box, if we get the number 1 pick and are going for Lawrence why not get in touch with him well ahead the draft and say look we are selecting you and want your input on the HC coaching hire. I know he is not technically part of the team yet at that point, but when you own the number 1 pick you can negotiate the player's contract with them that your are selecting so what is the real difference?. This also would provide a better chance Lawrence would want to come here since he would feel the Jets respect him enough to let him in on these decisions where QBs like Elway and Manning had that type of clout.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Mike Mccarthy would not have been the guy either.

It should have been Rhule. Jets were just never going to allow it. Imagine the audacity to select your own staff?

Funny, Joe Beningo (who was right about Gase) was screaming about how great Mike McCarthy was. He was the man. And Matt Rhule was trash. 

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

It should have been Rhule. Jets were just never going to allow it. Imagine the audacity to select your own staff?

Yeah, until Rhule sucks next year.  It's always this way with coaches.  Edwards, Mangini, Ryan, Bowles, we've seen this show before first hand.  Come in like they're Lombardi, quickly turn into Kotite.

SAR I

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yeah, until Rhule sucks next year.  It's always this way with coaches.  Edwards, Mangini, Ryan, Bowles, we've seen this show before first hand.  Come in like they're Lombardi, quickly turn into Kotite.

SAR I

You would need to understand Matt Rhule as a man and as a leader. That has never been his MO. He is a strong leader and has a system of values and team concept. 

Will Matt Rhule ver win a SB? I have no idea. But everywhere Matt Rhule has been, he has stepped into dormant programs and breathed life into them. Sustained life as long as he was there.

He knew a rotten apple when he was exposed to it, and spit at the Jets.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Here's thinking outside the box, if we get the number 1 pick and are going for Lawrence why not get in touch with him well ahead the draft and say look we are selecting you and want your input on the HC coaching hire. I know he is not technically part of the team yet at that point, but when you own the number 1 pick you can negotiate the player's contract with them that your are selecting so what is the real difference?. This also would provide a better chance Lawrence would want to come here since he would feel the Jets respect him enough to let him in on these decisions where QBs like Elway and Manning had that type of clout.

Sam liked Gase before he was hired.  You don’t let a player choose the coach.  Just a recipe for disaster  

you need to have CJ get out of Joe Douglas’ way and have full control. That includes coaches without a committee approach. 

• Upvote 2

The general view was that Gase was an ok hire at the time, Rhule needed to defer to management because coming from Baylor he did not have enough coaching connections (Brady would not have coached the Jets last year) and McCarthy was a burned out has been that would have been good for Darnold. 

We suspected Gases’ issues but did not think they were that bad.  They are worse on the Jets. 

The issue to me is not so much that Gase was a bad hire.  It is that he is not the right guy for the Jets in 2021 and needs to go before that.  I actually don’t think he is the right guy for anybody at this point.  He will need to reprove himself on a better team. 

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Unlike Gase, who came in like Kotite and managed to go downhill from there...

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

Funny, Joe Beningo (who was right about Gase) was screaming about how great Mike McCarthy was. He was the man. And Matt Rhule was trash. 

Wow can’t believe Beningo would issue a half-baked take very loudly for months on end and that take would be wrong

14 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You would need to understand Matt Rhule as a man and as a leader. That has never been his MO. He is a strong leader and has a system of values and team concept. 

Will Matt Rhule ver win a SB? I have no idea. But everywhere Matt Rhule has been, he has stepped into dormant programs and breathed life into them. Sustained life as long as he was there.

The big test for Rhule comes when they inevitably have to transition away from Bridgewater to a QB they can win a chip with. That’s when things get rocky for any head coach. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Gase came in like Kotite right away!

26 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

better to come in like you're Lombardi instead of coming in like Kotite and become Gase

38 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Already suggest it. Was called dumb for giving a 21 year old input on a coaching decision. Ya, better to leave it to the pros!

A Plea To Chris/Woody Johnson - Gang Green Nation

Sam liked Gase before he was hired.  You don’t let a player choose the coach.  Just a recipe for disaster  
you need to have CJ get out of Joe Douglas’ way and have full control. That includes coaches without a committee approach. 
Wonder how sam feels about gase now?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

The right coach for the Jets is dead.  Casey Stengel.  

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Already suggest it. Was called dumb for giving a 21 year old input on a coaching decision. Ya, better to leave it to the pros!

It is not fair to ask a college kid who he would like to be his coach. If the rest of the team is aware of that (and they will be cause this is NY and a public business), and things happen to go south, then the rest of the team may start to think, "Way to go Lawrence, the supposed savior picked his own guy as a coach and look where we are". Just not fair to do that to a kid.

You can ask him about offensive systems he likes. Ask him about players in college he liked and impressed him. Let him feel like he's is a part of something.

But, the Jets need to portray strength with a plan. If I was 21 yr old and coming into an organization and the Big Boss asked me, "who would you like to lead you and the team", I would be worried.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

It is not fair to ask a college kid who he would like to be his coach. If the rest of the team is aware of that (and they will be cause this is NY and a public business), and things happen to go south, then the rest of the team may start to think, "Way to go Lawrence, the supposed savior picked his own guy as a coach and look where we are". Just not fair to do that to a kid.

You can ask him about offensive systems he likes. Ask him about players in college he liked and impressed him. Let him feel like he's is a part of something.

But, the Jets need to portray strength with a plan. If I was 21 yr old and coming into an organization and the Big Boss asked me, "who would you like to lead you and the team", I would be worried.

I'm worried about him dodging the Jets. JD should give him prima nocta with the Flight Crew if it gets his name on a contract.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, jgb said:

I'm worried about him dodging the Jets. JD should give him prima nocta with the Flight Crew if it gets his name on a contract.

he really does not have any options. And, if he is a guy that does not want to come into this situation, then he was not the guy you wanted anyway.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

he really does not have any options. And, if he is a guy that does not want to come into this situation, then he was not the guy you wanted anyway.

Would make him smart and foresighted. You're right, not a fit lol

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I posted this observation elsewhere but the Steelers have forced DC's on Mike Tomlin. First Dick Labeau and then Keith Butler. Notably, Tomlin was a DC who ran a Cover 2 scheme. The Steelers basically forced Tomlin into becoming a HC by taking his D expertise mostly off the table. That wouldn't apply with Ruhle who was already a HC, but perhaps the Jets should have forced and OC an QB on Gase.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Another passenger on the college coach hype train.  Talk to me after Year 5 when he's manning a sustained winner.  Until then, he's just another guy.  As for the Jets, he ran away to a tiny media market instead of facing the challenge of turning the second-banana team around in the biggest media market in the sport.  Sounds like a pussy to me.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

31 minutes ago, viffer said:

Unlike Gase, who came in like Kotite and managed to go downhill from there...

Gase finshed 6-2 last year with a beat up 1-7 team.  That's uphill.  As far as this season, the combination of injuries and all the players we've cut in this rebuild is too much for him, or any other coach, to overcome.

SAR I

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Another passenger on the college coach hype train.  Talk to me after Year 5 when he's manning a sustained winner.  Until then, he's just another guy.  As for the Jets, he ran away to a tiny media market instead of facing the challenge of turning the second-banana team around in the biggest media market in the sport.  Sounds like a pussy to me.

SAR I

Sounds like a guy who trusts himself a lot more than the lucky sperm bros to choose his assistants for him. I really hope that the Jets hire Panthers OC to be our next HC. My posts would write themselves for a month.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

You know, I believe you are just posting to post these days. Mailing it in.

You obviously do not know Rhule's background. He walked into the greatest scandal of college football since the PSU debacle. Baylor was toxic to any coach coming in. Recruits were fleeing. Players were shell shocked. The program was dormant.

And you call him a pussy? Really weak.

And with all this said, I was only a slight tilt toward Rhule at the time of Jets selecting. I was not sure how he would play in the pros. Early returns are good. Just like every other dead program he has walked into. He changed culture and began winning.

Pussy? Really stupid comment.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Gase finshed 6-2 last year with a beat up 1-7 team.  That's uphill.  As far as this season, the combination of injuries and all the players we've cut in this rebuild is too much for him, or any other coach, to overcome.

SAR I

I'm still not on your Gase is the Answer train (and never will be), but I can not reconcile last year's 6-2 finish with what I am seeing now. Can the injuries really have hurt this much? So much that it makes the offense look like the keystone cops? I am anxious for players to get healthy and to see what the Offense looks like with a healthy Darnold, Becton, Mims and Perriman alongside Crowder and Herndon because I do believe that the is more, not a whole lot admittedly, talent on the Offense than last season.

As to your the injuries and rebuild are too much for Gase to overcome. Come on, man! The O is not even competitive. He's got to own that. It is his job to guide the team through adversity. That is one of a HC's primary responsibility. Granted the Steelers have more talent, but they had no QB last year, had lost AB, and had a ton of injuries. No excuses there. They competed and were in almost every game barely missing a playoff spot.

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You know, I believe you are just posting to post these days. Mailing it in.

You obviously do not know Rhule's background. He walked into the greatest scandal of college football since the PSU debacle. Baylor was toxic to any coach coming in. Recruits were fleeing. Players were shell shocked. The program was dormant.

And you call him a pussy? Really weak.

And with all this said, I was only a slight tilt toward Rhule at the time of Jets selecting. I was not sure how he would play in the pros. Early returns are good. Just like every other dead program he has walked into. He changed culture and began winning.

Pussy? Really stupid comment.

At the time of consideration, Rhule was 8-17 at Baylor.  Rhule is a New Yorker.  Instead of accepting the challenge of the Jets he chose to run back to college and eventually took a small town job with the Panthers.  Kitty cat moves.  

Don't want any rookie head coaches, especially not those out of college.  It's a good thing we didn't get him.  He's not the answer.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

At the time of consideration, Rhule was 8-17 at Baylor.  Rhule is a New Yorker.  Instead of accepting the challenge of the Jets he chose to run back to college and eventually took a small town job with the Panthers.  Kitty cat moves.  

Don't want any rookie head coaches, especially not those out of college.  It's a good thing we didn't get him.  He's not the answer.

SAR I

Belichick is also a p***y for going to smaller market Boston over this great opportunity he had in NY...

For a brief moment you dropped your schtick Sunday in the gamethread and acted like a human. Back to the unfunny, stale, and pathetic schtick.

• Upvote 2

Just going to throw it out there that Adam Gase in Dallas running that old Broncos offense with Dak and Elliott is probably, at least 4-2 right now.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, jgb said:

Sounds like a guy who trusts himself a lot more than the lucky sperm bros to choose his assistants for him. I really hope that the Jets hire Panthers OC to be our next HC. My posts would write themselves for a month.

Well, we had Gregg Williams all lined up to manage our defense and Brant Boyer was special teams coach of the year, so why was that a bad idea?  Why wouldn't the Jets be better off with two of the Top 10 coordinators in the NFL at their respective positions?  Why would we want some college coach with a losing record at a small school punting on those two?  Why wouldn't he want guys with those types of resumes?

Looking back, it makes no difference so why bother talking about it?  With those injuries, those players traded/released, and a full-on rebuild, a rookie head coach from Baylor wasn't the right decision.  

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Well, we had Gregg Williams all lined up to manage our defense and Brant Boyer was special teams coach of the year, so why was that a bad idea?  Why wouldn't the Jets be better off with two of the Top 10 coordinators in the NFL at their respective positions?  Why would we want some college coach with a losing record at a small school punting on those two?  Why wouldn't he want guys with those types of resumes?

Looking back, it makes no difference so why bother talking about it?  With those injuries, those players traded/released, and a full-on rebuild, a rookie head coach from Baylor wasn't the right decision.  

SAR I

You need to go in for servicing. Your programming is starting to return a lot more null sets than usual.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

As suspected, you have no idea what Rhule had to overcome at Baylor. Or at Temple.

Mental note made to never discuss college football with you.

I dont know if its fair to judge McCarthy yet,  the offense was humming with Dak at QB, Dalton is who he is, not a leader on the field and can be very inaccurate with his throws at times.  They have had a slew of injuries on both sides of the ball as well.  My only problem with McCarthy is - why the heck do you choose Mike Nolan as DC?   Nolan is as vanilla as it gets on D. 

43 minutes ago, jgb said:

CJ a millionaire asked a 22 year old rookie kid to facetime with a guy for 10 minutes. You think Sam was gonna say nah he sucks ? He could have made Sam facetime with Rich Kotite and Sam would have been like "erhm... yeah I like him"

Scott, I agree with you on all points, but, for the love of God, the axiom is “small solace.” “Small solitude” is when his case rep at the home rolls @joewilly12 into a broom closet for three hours so she can have some peace. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, deucebag said:

I dont know if its fair to judge McCarthy yet,  the offense was humming with Dak at QB, Dalton is who he is, not a leader on the field and can be very inaccurate with his throws at times.  They have had a slew of injuries on both sides of the ball as well.  My only problem with McCarthy is - why the heck do you choose Mike Nolan as DC?   Nolan is as vanilla as it gets on D. 

That defense is awful. Mccarthy has to own that though.