Willie Colon had some interesting comments- Jets need more guys who love football

Matt39

The central part of what the Jets have been missing in FA and the draft- scouts get it right when evaluating, they've just missed on how much they love the game. My biggest worry with Becton and Mims- where's the fire? The Jets have handed out money to guys who have just given up. This latest draft...I dont get the sense JD did enough digging, there's just no excuse for every single rookie besides Perine and the Punter to be in the trainers room.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The Jets need more players that are talented.  All this love of the game stuff is BS IMO.   The Jets need talent and a lot of it.   It’s not a mystery.  

i also dont think you can equate injuries to love of the game.  Just because guys are in the training room they dont "love the game"?  idk doesnt make sense to me. 

Also has anyone noticed the amount of shoulder injuries the jets are having on the line this year?  worrisome trend. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The Jets need more players that are talented.  All this love of the game stuff is BS IMO.   The Jets need talent and a lot of it.   It’s not a mystery.  

If you put in all the time from pee wee to middle school, to high school, through the recruiting process, onto college (whatever level), you love the game. At least I am sure at least 90% do.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

If you put in all the time from pee wee to middle school, to high school, through the recruiting process, onto college (whatever level), you love the game. At least I am sure at least 90% do.

The amount of guys who get far on god given talent...you'd be shocked. Add millions to the mix and pff.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

You need talent and guys who are dedicated. The Jets have neither. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Yeah agreed, plenty of all time greats played and didnt "love the game" - they were just really good.  Van Roten came out yesterday talking about how he gets it the fans frustrations, his dad is 60 year Jets fan and he said something along the lines of, "this lockerroom loves the game" etc.  It's not his fault they suck.  They can love the game all they want, hell, you could argue some of these fringe rosters players love it the most with what they have to go through to make a roster.  They're just like, not good enough.  Simple. 

As for the rookies not playing, it sucks but I'm not overly concerned, this team is god awful I'm not sure there are even meaningful snaps to have.  If these guys just get a few games under their belt before the season ends, I think that's just fine.  Not ideal but nothing was coming from this season other then "experience" and I'm not quite sure this "experience" would even be beneficial.  Besides, it's not like Gase would play them...

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yeah agreed, plenty of all time greats played and didnt "love the game" - they were just really good.  Van Roten came out yesterday talking about how he gets it the fans frustrations, his dad is 60 year Jets fan and he said something along the lines of, "this lockerroom loves the game" etc.  It's not his fault they suck.  They can love the game all they want, hell, you could argue some of these fringe rosters players love it the most with what they have to go through to make a roster.  They're just like, not good enough.  Simple. 

As for the rookies not playing, it sucks but I'm not overly concerned, this team is god awful I'm not sure there are even meaningful snaps to have.  If these guys just get a few games under their belt before the season ends, I think that's just fine.  Not ideal but nothing was coming from this season other then "experience" and I'm not quite sure this "experience" would even be beneficial.  Besides, it's not like Gase would play them...

I think every snap a rookie takes is meaningful.   These guys, specifically Becton, Mims and Perine need to start seeing stuff on an NFL level.   Becton needs to see speed rushers, bull rushers, stunts etc...  Mims needs to just get on the field, but also he needs to start learning how to beat press man and how to set up NFL corners when running routes.   Perine needs to see blitzes and how to recognize where the pass rush is coming from.  Any reps they take this year is just more experience they have so that next year isn’t another “rookie” season.   

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The amount of guys who get far on god given talent...you'd be shocked. Add millions to the mix and pff.

I probably know 50 kids (families) that were/are Division 1 athletes (baseball and football). I witnessed the process for all of them.There was not ONE that ever skimped or did not go what I would consider the extra mile. Tremendous work ethic for all of them, as well a love of the game.

I have also seen kids that you look at them as a teenager and think, "this kids got all the goods to go far". And then they wash out. They either get bored with the game or did not have the work ethic. Those kids make themselves noticed pretty quickly. Even at the high school level.

Now, I only know a handful of kids that have made it to the NFL or MLB. So my sample size there is much smaller. None of these are "superstars", so again I may have a skewed look, but those kids all busted their ass.

• Upvote 1

One thing I would say is that the Jets lack "leaders". Who would we really consider guys that will step up, show the others how it is done, and set example?

This is why I have no problem with Frank Gore on the Jets. He has that attitude, he has that mentality. Don't mistake that for me thinking he needs the bulk of carries either. But those guys can be big on how this locker room moves forward.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agree.  I love football, but I dont think I'd be much help on the field these days :-)

• Upvote 1

I feel like you can “love the game” and still struggle with low morale because of the leadership in the room. You see it with teams all the time. I don’t think players hate Gase as much as they simply don’t find him to be a motivational figure. Gregggg Williams was the rah-rah guy and he’s had major depression all year long. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, varjet said:

https://www.newyorkjets.com/team/front-office-roster/

I answered my own question.  Athletic training reports separately from Gase.  HymIe most likely is in charge of all of those interns. 

That is the problem. 

That os not necessarily an organizational chart of reporting. That is just a list. Same as all other org's publish it.

That said, I am sure the Jets hierarchy structure probably represents some bastardized patchwork.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

One thing I would say is that the Jets lack "leaders". Who would we really consider guys that will step up, show the others how it is done, and set example?

This is why I have no problem with Frank Gore on the Jets. He has that attitude, he has that mentality. Don't mistake that for me thinking he needs the bulk of carries either. But those guys can be big on how this locker room moves forward.

It’s another space where they tried shoe-horning Darnold into the leadership role and he’s been a mess.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I probably know 50 kids (families) that were/are Division 1 athletes (baseball and football). I witnessed the process for all of them.There was not ONE that ever skimped or did not go what I would consider the extra mile. Tremendous work ethic for all of them, as well a love of the game.

I have also seen kids that you look at them as a teenager and think, "this kids got all the goods to go far". And then they wash out. They either get bored with the game or did not have the work ethic. Those kids make themselves noticed pretty quickly. Even at the high school level.

Now, I only know a handful of kids that have made it to the NFL or MLB. So my sample size there is much smaller. None of these are "superstars", so again I may have a skewed look, but those kids all busted their ass.

I think it was Tony Gonzalez who once said people would be shocked with dedication level even at the NFL level. Guys like him are rare.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jets0712 said:

Curtis Martin didn’t love the game. How’d he turn out?? What we need are professionals. From top to bottom

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I dont think worth ethic or dedication was one of Martin's weaknesses. There's a gap in the Jets draft process and it's directly correlated to this once the player gets paid. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

It’s another space where they tried shoe-horning Darnold into the leadership role and he’s been a mess.

He just does not appear to be that guy. Southern Cal laid back. 

The ONLY good thing that can come out of this year (beside the hopeful top pick), is a shell shocked locker room that you hope the guys that are staying create a united front of, "we are never going to allow this again". Of course, that means a leader coming in that they can all buy. into. And JD is going to have to do quite a bit of selling in the offseason of his vision for the Jets, and allow players to buy in.

To the original point of this thread, the Jets are going to need some veteran acquisitions that are known locker room positives. Much like when Kirk Gibson turned around the Dodgers in 1988, and removed the country club atmosphere. They don't have to be stars, but the Jets are going to be young and they are going to need to shown how winning organizations do it.

• Upvote 2

Talent is important but the players also have to want to play. Watching the games this year it is obvious that the players don't even care about being on the field they lost each game before a single snap was fielded.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1