Rex redeaux

rangerous

3 hours ago, THE BARON said:

I've suggested this a few times.  Rex is a good in-game coach, face of the franchise, media man and motivator, but he is a piss poor administrator and even worse as defacto GM.

Rex can work well as a team's HC and DC, BUT

1. There must be a VERY strong GM that handles all roster decisions and drafting.  Rex does not get his way.  He can have input over what type of players he likes, IE versatile 3 technique lineman and OLB's, but no way does he get to run the draft or decide on FA moves. 

2. There must be a highly qualified OC that is left unfettered by Rex meddling.  This would be ensured by the strong GM.

If you could set it up that way, it would be successful and a lot of fun too. 

That’s kind of where I was going with this. It means putting the gm above the coach in the pecking order. If gase is launched it’ll be interesting if the jets maintain equal standing of coach and gm.  I certainly hope Douglas gets this changed.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, rangerous said:

That’s kind of where I was going with this. It means putting the gm above the coach in the pecking order. If gase is launched it’ll be interesting if the jets maintain equal standing of coach and gm.  I certainly hope Douglas gets this changed.

agree. HC and GM on equal footing is bad news.  

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The defense was ranked top 5 under Jim Schwartz in 2014.

It was ranked outside of the top 20 under Rex Ryan in both 2015 and 2016.

If Rex couldn't take an excellent defense and keep them excellent, or even competent, then what good was he?  Rex was a dinosaur by 2015.  The league had figured him out.  It's why he hasn't gotten a HC job at the NFL OR collegiate level (he expressed interest in the U of Miami job in 2018 and never got an interview) since 2016.

Because the Bills had 4 - 3 personnel and Rex was a 3 - 4 guy.

The Jets had 2009 - 1st ranked defense, 2010 - 6th ranked and 2011 - 3rd ranked. The Rex cant coach defense narrative doesnt fly.

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd put both Walton and Michaels above Rex, for sure.  IMO the best teams in Jets history were the following:

1. '69 Jets (Weeb)
  2. '98 Jets (Parcells)
  3. '68 Jets (Weeb)
  4. '85 Jets (Walton)
  5. '82 Jets (Michaels)
  6. 2009 Jets (Ryan)
  7. '81 Jets (Michaels)
  8. 2010 Jets (Ryan)

Walton having team # 4 puts him above Michaels for me, but its close.  

1. Weeb
  2. Parcells
  3. Walton
  4. Michaels
  5. Rex Ryan
  6. Mangini

Don't understand how you could possibly put Walton ahead of Michaels when Michaels took a trash team from the late 70's and built it into a legit super bowl contender in the early 80's only to be fired before he could see it through (admittedly somewhat from his own doing).   Walton took over Michael's team had some success before ultimately running it into the ground.   The defense was all Michaels.   There is a reason that by the end "Joe must go" was more prominent than J-E-T-S.   Also don't ever remember seeing a burning inflatable pumpkin being knocked through the stands on National TV while Walt was the coach.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Francis Sawyer 37 said:

The Jets had 2009 - 1st ranked defense, 2010 - 6th ranked and 2011 - 3rd ranked. The Rex cant coach defense narrative doesnt fly.

To be fair....I liked Rex.   He was a good defensive coach IF he had the players for his system.  If he was really a great defensive mind, he would have been able to take that 4-3 personnel and adapt his defensive system to them to produce a quality defense.   He couldn't do that.

6 minutes ago, pajet said:

To be fair....I liked Rex.   He was a good defensive coach IF he had the players for his system.  If he was really a great defensive mind, he would have been able to take that 4-3 personnel and adapt his defensive system to them to produce a quality defense.   He couldn't do that.

Rex made too many Super Bowl promises and predictions of the Patriots demise.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Francis Sawyer 37 said:

Painfully true....too bad he couldn't deliver.   Beat the Pats in the playoffs...one of my favorite games as a Jets fan, then came out flat the next week.   If they could have won that year Rex and his bravado would have been immortal...now just a punchline.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, pajet said:

Painfully true....too bad he couldn't deliver.   Beat the Pats in the playoffs...one of my favorite games as a Jets fan, then came out flat the next week.   If they could have won that year Rex and his bravado would have been immortal...now just a punchline.

If you were a fan of another AFC team you hated Rex. He would start up crap and if the other team responded, then he would claim that he was the injured party and the Jets team would rally around him ready to bust heads. Beating Brady and the Patriots in NE during the post season was huge. The only other teams to do it were the Ravens and the Titans last season.

Rex had the Jets too amped up for the AFC Championship. He needs to learn how to let of the gas and not let the team get burned out.

7 hours ago, Francis Sawyer 37 said:

I loved Rex, but how was he at developing a QB and on overseeing as a HC his offense?

On 10/20/2020 at 10:05 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Absolutely not.  Joe Walton and Bill Parcells were the # 2 and 3 HC's in Jets history, in whichever order you want to put them.

Parcells #2 because he was brought in to change the culture and did

But the real #2 IMO was Walt Michaels.  Solid coach, solid at developing players and had an eye for talent.  Brought in players like the Sack Exchange

• Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Jets fans who want to bring back Rex are like two degrees away from Dolphins fans who want to bring back Gase.

Rex brought a team to back to back AFCCGs.  

Gase didnt accomplish anything near that

Rex built a top defense, top running game

Gase didnt accomplish anything near that

One has nothing to do with the other and isnt comparable.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, pajet said:

Don't understand how you could possibly put Walton ahead of Michaels when Michaels took a trash team from the late 70's and built it into a legit super bowl contender in the early 80's only to be fired before he could see it through (admittedly somewhat from his own doing).   Walton took over Michael's team had some success before ultimately running it into the ground.   The defense was all Michaels.   There is a reason that by the end "Joe must go" was more prominent than J-E-T-S.   Also don't ever remember seeing a burning inflatable pumpkin being knocked through the stands on National TV while Walt was the coach.

Cant get the image of Walton picking his nose on the sidelines out of my head whenever his name comes up

Walton was terrible coach of a pretty talented team that underperformed.  

Not comparable to Michaels

On 10/20/2020 at 8:39 PM, rangerous said:

I don’t thinkI’ve been a supporter of Rex returning as coach, he ran a circus, but it does seem like he could motivate the players a lot better than most. Put him with a gm who has a real plan to build and maintain a team and maybe Rex would be better.  At the very least he’d distract the media and talking heads away from the team and let them around to the business of practicing and playing.  Is a Douglas -Rex pairing viable?

budddwyer.gif

51 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Rex brought a team to back to back AFCCGs.  

Gase didnt accomplish anything near that

Rex built a top defense, top running game

Gase didnt accomplish anything near that

One has nothing to do with the other and isnt comparable.  

They're both failures who left the place in shambles before going to a division rival and crapping the bed even worse. Nobody with any clue would ever consider bringing either of them back. They're actually pretty similar.

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

They're both failures who left the place in shambles before going to a division rival and crapping the bed even worse. Nobody with any clue would ever consider bringing either of them back. They're actually pretty similar.

That would be wrong.

Tanny and then Idzik failed to bring in talent or let what was left go.

Rex was good when he had talent, those early team did not underperform.  The case could be made that those two playoff teams over performed.  Especially given the QB.  

They arent similar in any way.  When Gase gets to a AFCCG I'll consider it

9 hours ago, Francis Sawyer 37 said:

He used to be able to coach defense.  That ended starting in 2012.  

Good coaches work with the personnel they have.  They don't force square pegs into round holes.  Rex couldn't adapt.  I mean, how many times do you have to see an overload blitz fail because the offense was fully ready for it before you change it up?  

I'm sure someone out there would hire him as a DC still if he was interested.  But he completely ruined his reputation as a defensive mastermind in Buffalo.  The game had passed him by.  

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, how many time do you have to see an overload blitz fail because the offense was fully ready for it before you change it up?  

Thats exactly what we said when, coincidentally, the talent level fell off in NY with Rex and Bowles.  

But now, coincidentally, Bowles' defenses is winning games in Tampa, blitzing away.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Cant get the image of Walton picking his nose on the sidelines out of my head whenever his name comes up

Walton was terrible coach of a pretty talented team that underperformed.  

Not comparable to Michaels

yep.  i'd class michaels as the second best coach in the jets history.  as for walton, i think he may have been too old school to contend with the players strike and all of the other changes in the nfl.  he was a pretty good oc under michaels.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

yep.  i'd class michaels as the second best coach in the jets history.  as for walton, i think he may have been too old school to contend with the players strike and all of the other changes in the nfl.  he was a pretty good oc under michaels.

Walton was also a really good OC in Washington with Theisman 

If the Jets need a hype man let's bring him back ASAP. His swagger is hilarious when the team deserves swagger. 

2009-2010 was a blast as a fan and the intersection of a lot of good things. Sexy Rexy's defensive scheme worked extremely well with the roster. The team could execute enough on offensive to be competitive. But then the bill for that roster started becoming due in 2011, Tannenbaum didn't have a plan for how to keep momentum, the rest of the league got better at attacking his defense and Rex didn't have a plan to adapt that he could execute with the roster. Let's enjoy those two years for what they were.

There's a reason he isn't coaching anywhere. He could probably work as a coordinator in college or a lower level defensive coach in the NFL right now but nobody is brining him in as a head coach and he's probably making more doing less as a commentator than as a defensive line coach.

On 10/20/2020 at 8:49 PM, k-met57 said:

You Rex lovers do realize that he ran Buffalo into the ground after leaving here right? How’d they do after he left?

He had a .500 record after they went 9-7 the year before.  That’s a very unique definition of running a team “into the ground”

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Francis Sawyer 37 said:

He only made the one super bowl promise at his press conference when he was hired.  He never predicted the patriots demise he simply said he wouldn’t kiss Belichick’s rings

but hey that ESPN kool aid must be sweet

On 10/20/2020 at 8:39 PM, rangerous said:

I don’t thinkI’ve been a supporter of Rex returning as coach, he ran a circus, but it does seem like he could motivate the players a lot better than most. Put him with a gm who has a real plan to build and maintain a team and maybe Rex would be better.  At the very least he’d distract the media and talking heads away from the team and let them around to the business of practicing and playing.  Is a Douglas -Rex pairing viable?

I would love to see Rex become HC again and with a decent GM he'll win several SB's. That said, I don't want Rex back right now. When the season ends, then I'd immediately hire Rex. Let Gase complete the perfect 0-16 and get us the number 1 pick.....

• Upvote 1