Bell complains.
Bell released.
Mehta hit pieces.
Mehta revoked.
Lucas mouths off.
Lucas fired.
Beningo rants.
Beningo fired.

If you look at Gase sideways, you are out.  He's Don Corleone.  He's got his wartime Consigliere in Elhai.  He's got his Neri in Douglas.  He's got his Fredo in Williams; (watch for the fishing trip this week or next).

SAR I

How dare you take the Corleone name in vain? Where are the mods?

• Haha 1

On 10/21/2020 at 1:02 PM, DoubleDown said:

I have zero interest in Joe Douglas making a public statement or holding a press conference.  I'm not really sure why fans put so much stock into it.

If/when it happens, it's going to be the same old boring company lines about how this is a "process" and how they are trying to "change the culture" and "compete for a Superbowl every year."

So basically he doesn’t have any power. 

I really don't want to hear from Joe D right now.  What could he possibly say? I don't even want Gase fired until the end of the season.  I want to do everything possible to ensure that we have a perfect 0-16 season.  Then Joe D will be in the crosshairs to deliver.  If he doesn't hit a homerun in the draft and FA, then he should be jettisoned, too.

56 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Correct.

Adam Gase is the Football Man we've waited for.  He hired Douglas and Elhai, he's behind all the players being cut, he's behind the stockpiling of picks, he's going to save us.

SAR I

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

All of the guys you listed except for Perine and Griffin are band-aids.  Players who are all essentially on 1-year deals are not at all "core guys" like many would like to paint them.  Band-aids, by their very nature, are rarely going to impress, and almost all of them will be off the team prior to the 2021 season.

Judge him harshly on Perine if you wish.  I was hoping for more from him out of the gate, even with the run-blocking and Gase scheme doing him no favors.

The Griffin contract obviously made him a TE2 that JD wanted around for a while.  His injury was most unfortunate, but it happened AFTER Griffin signed his deal.  

So, yeah, I don't see the problem in all of this.  Everything comes down to him nailing his draft picks.  If the 2020 class is a bust, that will be a problem.  We'll know a lot more about this class some time in 2021.

I mostly agree with this.  The Draft is ultimately where a GM succeeds or fails and he should get more than just one (or even two) Drafts in my opinion unless we're seeing some egregious mistakes.

With that said, I still think it's fair to evaluate Douglas even on the specific "band-aid players" he chose to bring here.  They certainly aren't core, long term guys, and even decent players like Poole and Jenkins are on value-oriented 1-year deals.  But this is the team Douglas has constructed for this season, he pursued these band-aids (ex. Fant, Perriman, Desir) over other options (ex. Conklin, Robby Anderson, etc.)....and the ones we have don't seem to be working out too well IMO.  It looks like there have been several misses, be it due to injury or otherwise.  And, if the goal was to stabilize the offense and give even a modicum of support to his young QB then he has failed in that regard this year.  There's almost no consistency of players year to year and other than Jamison Crowder and 91-year old Frank Gore, there has been very, very little reliability on the offense (and even Crowder missed time).

Nobody expected JD to dramatically improve this roster in one year.  But we didn't expect it to take not one, but two steps backwards as Douglas moved ahead with his rebuild.  His approach to the wide receiver position in particular has been a colossal failure.  Not just the decision to sign Tampa Bay's WR3 to be the Jets WR1, not just letting Robby Anderson walk away over a few million $$, or even pinning the WR2 hopes on a late 2nd round pick in Denzel Mims who has been hurt the whole season.  But why, in one of the deeper WR drafts in history did the Jets only dip their toes in the water once?  On a team that was bad at WR last year AND subtracted Robby Anderson and Demaryius Thomas from the group, why didn't JD get another veteran besides Perriman here until begrudgingly signing Chris Hogan in a Ryan Kalil type move out of necessity?  WR was the second biggest priority on this team besides OLine.  It was crucial to stabilize the WR group, if not upgrade it, this year just so that the offense could function since opponents knew the Jets were also not building a rushing attack or investing in the RB position.

Yes, it's a rebuild.  Yes, it's not pretty watching the sausage being made in the kitchen.  Yes, JD deserves some time.  But while he's tearing down the bloated cruise ship that Maccagnan had built he should have provided some life boats.  He didn't really do that IMO, and he can be judged on that.

• Upvote 3

Make no mistake, he IS hiding. You would be to. I just think there's no way he could have made this season any better? He had no say on the HC and the damage was already done when it came to the players. His FA moves did NOTHING to help a very bad situation.

30 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Correct.

Adam Gase is the Football Man we've waited for.  He hired Douglas and Elhai, he's behind all the players being cut, he's behind the stockpiling of picks, he's going to save us.

SAR I

DINGBAT stuck in 1st gear

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No one could win with a roster this thin and this injured.  This is what a teardown rebuild looks like.  You can't judge your head coach or your quarterback under such circumstances.

SAR I

You're being an idiot - mainly cause you're wasting our time. Youre not actually this stupid... everyone in the universe knows he's not getting it done. "The players know... Tony. The players know."

And guess what, it doesn't matter. Chances of me drafting as the Jets GM are better than Adam Gase being the coach of 2021 Jets. The optics alone necessitate it. We're fcking joke across the league... there is 0% chance Adam doesn't fall on the sword - regardless. 

'Forget about it.

• Upvote 2

On 10/21/2020 at 7:15 AM, SAR I said:

I believe that when he took the job as a recently-fired head coach, he believed he was a great offensive coordinator and not much else.  But now that he's been here awhile and given the power in the building to reshape the entire franchise, he's proven to himself that he's more than just an offensive coordinator.  No way he admits to a room full of reporters that he's considering giving up playcalling duties unless he's realizing he should.

So he's going to let that part go, hire an offensive coordinator and playcaller, and continue to do what he does best-  evaluate front office and roster talent and motivate a locker room that is going to be doing a whole lot of losing before they are re-stocked through the draft and turn a corner in 2022.  Gase is experienced and expert at [insert joke here] managing a downtrodden locker room full of losers and keeping them together as a team, keeping their hopes up, taking the hits from the media, protecting them and giving them opportunity.  He's probably the best coach in the NFL at that sad task.

SAR I

How the hell do you know this?  Do you work at One Jet Drive? Are you related to AG... Geeze, you have your preverbal head stuck so far up AG ass your suppositions boarder on the realm of absurdity.    

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

No one could win with a roster this thin and this injured.  This is what a teardown rebuild looks like.  You can't judge your head coach or your quarterback under such circumstances.

SAR I

The players, other coaches, media, multiple owners,  and pretty much every NFL lifer in every job, from Studio Analyst to Beat writer to ex-players, and now HOF former Coaches either despise Adam Gase, or think he is a clueless buffoon.  

Its not just meathead fans that think he sucks, its down to everyone aside from SAR and Dowlell Logglaino.

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because he doesn't have to tell anybody anything?  And meanwhile Jets fans are notoriously impatient.  Telling the fans it's a throwaway year would never fly here.  It's a big reason all the GM's the Johnson's hire have been instructed to essentially shoot for 8-8 every season.  

His job is to build a perennial contender.  Not make the fans happy in the short-term.  Anything he says in a press conference is going to be uninteresting and not worthwhile.  I'd rather him be on the phones trying to make deals at the trade deadline right now and then after the deadline spending all of his time prepping for an absolutely crucial 2021 offseason.

Yes but the New York Rangers did actually come clean and said that they were rebuilding and give to give them time to do it right. He better be on the phones, that’s his job. Plus, just how press conferences does he do? 2?, 3?

We’re big boys, I think the majority of this fan base would have appreciated the transparency.

Yes but the New York Rangers did actually come clean and said that they were rebuilding and give to give them time to do it right. He better be on the phones, that’s his job. Plus, just how press conferences does he do? 2?, 3?
We’re big boys, I think the majority of this fan base would have appreciated the transparency.

You think far more highly of this fanbase than I.
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I think it was pretty obvious by his actions what he was doing.  We shouldn’t need him to tell us, especially because these guys never tell the truth anyway.  Judge by the actual moves he’s making to understand the strategy.

Taking away irrational fan thinking - he couldn’t have been more clear about his intentions.

20 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think it was pretty obvious by his actions what he was doing.  We shouldn’t need him to tell us, especially because these guys never tell the truth anyway.  Judge by the actual moves he’s making to understand the strategy.

Taking away irrational fan thinking - he couldn’t have been more clear about his intentions.

Your saying that most expected this team to be the front runner for the #1 pick this year hence flushing our 23 year old QB ?

i beg to differ 

11 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Your saying that most expected this team to be the front runner for the #1 pick this year hence flushing our 23 year old QB ?

i beg to differ 

I’m saying most believed the Jets were a bottom five team in the NFL - go and review pre-season projections. It was clear to any unbiased person paying attention.

No, being possibly the worst team of all-times wasn’t projected - but the point I was making is, we shouldn’t need JD to come out and tell us he was tanking - it was obvious by his actions.

And for the record, I absolutely knew he had moved on From Darnold.  Again, very clear if you watched JD’s actions.

Bottom line, Don’t listen to what GM’s say, look at what they do to determine their plans.

On 10/21/2020 at 1:02 PM, DoubleDown said:

I have zero interest in Joe Douglas making a public statement or holding a press conference.  I'm not really sure why fans put so much stock into it.

If/when it happens, it's going to be the same old boring company lines about how this is a "process" and how they are trying to "change the culture" and "compete for a Superbowl every year."

16 hours ago, Matt39 said:

What does your response have to do with the post you quoted?
How does a press conference establish power? Teams don't get better via press conference and every GM just dances around questions.

We all know the reality by just watching the moves JD is making. He is trading away everyone of value and bringing back draft capital. #tanking

15 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I mostly agree with this.  The Draft is ultimately where a GM succeeds or fails and he should get more than just one (or even two) Drafts in my opinion unless we're seeing some egregious mistakes.

With that said, I still think it's fair to evaluate Douglas even on the specific "band-aid players" he chose to bring here.  They certainly aren't core, long term guys, and even decent players like Poole and Jenkins are on value-oriented 1-year deals.  But this is the team Douglas has constructed for this season, he pursued these band-aids (ex. Fant, Perriman, Desir) over other options (ex. Conklin, Robby Anderson, etc.)....and the ones we have don't seem to be working out too well IMO.  It looks like there have been several misses, be it due to injury or otherwise.  And, if the goal was to stabilize the offense and give even a modicum of support to his young QB then he has failed in that regard this year.  There's almost no consistency of players year to year and other than Jamison Crowder and 91-year old Frank Gore, there has been very, very little reliability on the offense (and even Crowder missed time).

Nobody expected JD to dramatically improve this roster in one year.  But we didn't expect it to take not one, but two steps backwards as Douglas moved ahead with his rebuild.  His approach to the wide receiver position in particular has been a colossal failure.  Not just the decision to sign Tampa Bay's WR3 to be the Jets WR1, not just letting Robby Anderson walk away over a few million $$, or even pinning the WR2 hopes on a late 2nd round pick in Denzel Mims who has been hurt the whole season.  But why, in one of the deeper WR drafts in history did the Jets only dip their toes in the water once?  On a team that was bad at WR last year AND subtracted Robby Anderson and Demaryius Thomas from the group, why didn't JD get another veteran besides Perriman here until begrudgingly signing Chris Hogan in a Ryan Kalil type move out of necessity?  WR was the second biggest priority on this team besides OLine.  It was crucial to stabilize the WR group, if not upgrade it, this year just so that the offense could function since opponents knew the Jets were also not building a rushing attack or investing in the RB position.

Yes, it's a rebuild.  Yes, it's not pretty watching the sausage being made in the kitchen.  Yes, JD deserves some time.  But while he's tearing down the bloated cruise ship that Maccagnan had built he should have provided some life boats.  He didn't really do that IMO, and he can be judged on that.

Well said

not picking a 2nd WR with 5 picks in rounds 3 & 4 is where I think his biggest mistake is

I'm good with Davis & Zuniga as 2 of the 5 picks ... probably had a pretty good idea already that he was going to get rid of Adams ... and rolling the dice on a pass rushing DE

I love the double dip at OL with Cameron Clark

Perine and mostly Morgan instead of WR is where I have the biggest issue

---

Bandaids have been more misses than hits

---

Some good, some bad

I'm onboard with tossing away 2020 for an upwards trend from 2022 and beyond

still reserving judgement on his handling of that

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

What does your response have to do with the post you quoted?
How does a press conference establish power? Teams don't get better via press conference and every GM just dances around questions.

We all know the reality by just watching the moves JD is making. He is trading away everyone of value and bringing back draft capital. #tanking

It would be nice for once for someone allegedly in power in this organization to go off script. JD has zero authority to do that. It’s unfortunate.

11 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

I love how so many JD fanboys overlook this tremendous whif and a miss

yep we are supposed to "build through the draft" and we use a 4 to get a player that will never play for the jets in a starters role-at best he is a back up to sam or tl 

Joe whiffed on every pick outside of round two and round two is a big question mark still too.