Flip the Script: WHY is Robby Anderson so Good for Carolina?

Warfish

So we've had endless threads about how dumb it was to move Anderson.  Because JD should have known he'd be this awesome...here?  Which he clearly didn't.

So it begs the REAL question:  Why is Robby Anderson a contender for best WR in the NFL in Carolina, when he was an afterthought of a player/producer here in New York his entire career? 

What would the Jets have had to do/change to get this level of production for Anderson?

Rather than "just resign Anderson", this question is IMO the more important.  What ELSE would Douglas have had to do to get THIS Anderson for us in 2020, because simply resigning him is clearly not enough.

So presuming Anderson is a great as he is showing in CAR, how could WE have gotten that?  Please, be specific.

His stats this year are similar to his 2017 season here once he established a raport with McCown. Once McCown got hurt the Bowles and Morton had no viable QB and the passing game we had went in the tank.

Bottom Line Gase came in and Robby like every other player on our offense was/is held back.

We can go down the list of players that are JETS and players before Gase was with the JETS, this is what he/his system is. 

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Choir boys won't win football games. 

Maybe not, but when you are building a team from the ground up, you look to instill the locker room with leader types, with players with proven work ethic and players that are team oriented. This allows you to cultivate a culture.

Once you have that cultured instilled, then you can have players like a "Robbie Anderson ilk" come in and make them adapt to the culture that is set. They are not then the culture setters.

If you begin and build around a culture of me-first, and poor discipline, then you get a team of that.

This is team building 101, whether in sport or any professional career. Many, many great coaches have adopted this mentality.

Does it mean it is always successful? No. But you build a team in your image, and I think this is an image that Joe D is looking to establish. Just my guess.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So we've had endless threads about how dumb it was to move Anderson.  Because JD should have known he'd be this awesome...here?  Which he clearly didn't.

So it begs the REAL question:  Why is Robby Anderson a contender for best WR in the NFL in Carolina, when he was an afterthought of a player/producer here in New York his entire career? 

What would the Jets have had to do/change to get this level of production for Anderson?

Rather than "just resign Anderson", this question is IMO the more important.  What ELSE would Douglas have had to do to get THIS Anderson for us in 2020, because simply resigning him is clearly not enough.

So presuming Anderson is a great as he is showing in CAR, how could WE have gotten that?  Please, be specific.

I went over this with Shane earlier...

he is running far more short routes than he did here...  the routes he is running THERE at Caro are being run HERE by Crowder...

he target rate is up, the depth of his routes is down, his YAC is up cos he is turning it upfield after the catch...

to do THAT here, Crowder we have to play far fewer snaps and Robbo would get a larger share of targets on those shorter routes...

ifyou look atthe advanced metrics the avg depth of his route is down roughly 5 yards from last 2 years here where it was~15

now its 10

targets last yr, 6 per game, this year 8.5....

after catch yds per catch was 3.7 2 yrs here w/ Sam, and is now 5.9...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AndeRo04.htm#all_detailed_receiving_and_rushing

as I also said to Shane, his limitations show up in the DYAR/DVOA at FO.  he doesnt really get you much more than "expected"

like the real elite WRs do...   

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/wr/2020

while i have always liked and supported Robbo, i always said pretty simply that he is a solid WR2/3 that is a good piece on any NFL team.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

Robbie's present coaching staff isn't so concerned about forcing square pegs into round holes.  You adopt your system to the players you have, rather than trying to get your players to do things that they suck at, and give them more opportunities to do the things they are good at.

That does not describe our current coaching staff, now or last season. As a matter of fact, they seem to be a coaching staff in name only. (Although, judging by the rags today, looks like all the McCarthy groupies might want to reconsider their enthusiasm - seems he's about the same as Gase: getting by on the coattails of a great QB in his previous job.)

EXCTACTLY!!!!!

Let's see what an "amature" analysis does...

Hmmmmmmm Lets see what RA does here....

Maybe Gase and the FO should look here..

What a Joke

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

i thought the plan here was to re-build through the draft. 

Who said differently?

As was pointed out to me yesterday by an astute poster here, Douglas drafted 3 players that were team captains on their team last year. I was not aware of that.

It only strengthened my belief that JD wants a disciplined, leader oriented locker room. I may be wrong.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

he's playing for a coach who knows him really well. Rhule coached Anderson at Temple

the Jets could have had Matt Rhule 

they already had Teddy 

Robby was already here 

this isn't one super crazy hypothetical to have all 3 together in green and white 

the difference is Carolina is willing to spend money and the New York Jets aren't

Rhule required a buyout + 8M a year. Teddy and Robby needed real NFL player second contracts. 

the Jets instead chose Gase and pay him in Ham Sandwiches 

• Upvote 3

I think it's a combination of coaching, system, and effort.  He is in a system where he is being utilized differently (i.e. occasionally lining up in the slot, something he never did on the Jets), he has a coach that has identified and maximized some of his strengths, and he seems to be finishing routes on a more consistent basis.

With that said, I think it should be noted that we still have a small sample size.  There were multiple 4 game stretches with the Jets where Robby Anderson had top 10 WR stats.  The problem with him was always consistency.  He would look great one month, then disappear the next month.  Let's see how the rest of this season goes.

Maybe we're not giving JD credit for thinking Andersons moods might not play well on a tanking team rebuilding from the ground up. 

Anderson had many games where he didn't finish routes, shook his head after being missed or not thrown too, maybe, just maybe JD didn't look at Robbie Anderson as a leader to build the WR group around. 

Just now, Jetster said:

Maybe we're not giving JD credit for thinking Andersons moods might not play well on a ranking team rebuilding from the ground up. 

I still believe that Douglas can be an awesome GM for us, bus some of the Douglas ball-washing on this board is waaaaaay out of control. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Simply amazing that the Jets could have fairly easily had Bridgewater, Robby Anderson and Matt Rhule here.  Two were already on the team, the other would have taken the HC job if Macc didn't grandstand and dictate things like the coaches Rhule would have to hire.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1