Flip the Script: WHY is Robby Anderson so Good for Carolina?

Warfish

11 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Plus Rhule is one of those spoiled me-first types who insists on hiring his own assistants

here's an example of how Rhule built that Carolina team:

He hires the offensive line guy from San Diego/LA Chargers despite having no direct connection with him whatsoever

that guy coached Russell Okung and Michael Schofield and Rhule brought them both over. Schofield played with the center Matt Paradis during the Super Bowl win vs CAR (they were on Denver).  John Miller the right guard played with Teddy Bridgewater when they were at Louisville together. Taylor Moton is the only starter from last year on paper that's terrible but these guys all have little connections before they arrived 

and in waltzes Robby Anderson a 4.3 WR2 type who just happens know the Matt Rhule offense the most out of everyone there. Even more than CmC and the so called stars, Robby knows this offense and is used as a role model in practice  (!) to teach other other DJ Moore level dum dums. 

now is Carolina going to win the Super Bowl this year? heck no

but they are competitive mostly and are learning from their mistakes (Rhule included) 

contrast how Rhule and built this team vs how JD/CJ and the accountants "built" this Jets team.

Rhule took players with a plan and put them in positions to succeed. Adam Gase wants everyone to fit to his mythical offense mold, which wasn't really that creative 10 years ago 

Gregg Williams is stealing money at this point at DC

to your original point

Picking one's assistants seems minor... it's actually huge 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Jokes aside, I thought Anderson was an improving player for us last year and begged the Jets to resign him. They didn't.

Oh well

It so reminds me of what the Jets did with Braylon Edwards, instead of adding to their weak WR depth they subtract from it!

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

It so reminds me of what the Jets did with Braylon Edwards, instead of adding to their weak WR depth they subtract from it!

James Farrior 

Keyshawn

there's a long tradition here even Pre-Revis and Pre- Adams of very good players going to other teams in favor of cheaper alternatives 

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Rhule took players with a plan and put them in positions to succeed. Adam Gase wants everyone to fit to his mythical offense mold, which wasn't really that creative 10 years ago 

As I'm reading this, I am having flashbacks to Pat Riley's stint with the Knicks.  Forcing square pegs into 'triangle' holes.  That worked so well.  

• Upvote 1

He was a better player than we thought, and was saddled with bad play calling, QB play, and a subpar Oline that neutralized some of his deeper routes by not giving the play time to develop.

The evaluation of RA was a big misfire, and every time I think Enunwa got paid but he didn't I get sick

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the Jets could have had Matt Rhule 

they already had Teddy 

Robby was already here 

this isn't one super crazy hypothetical to have all 3 together in green and white 

the difference is Carolina is willing to spend money and the New York Jets aren't

Rhule required a buyout + 8M a year. Teddy and Robby needed real NFL player second contracts. 

the Jets instead chose Gase and pay him in Ham Sandwiches 

So just to make sure I understand, your position is that we should have:

1. Signed Teddy Bridgewater to a long-term deal to be our starting QB pre-2018 season (instead of trading him to N.O.) and (presumably) never drafted Sam Darnold, retaining the 2018 #1 and the thre 32's we traded to acquire him?

2. Should have hired Matt Rhule, including his buyout and given him full control over his staff, instead of Gase.

3. Should have resigned Robby to a long-term deal at his asking price pre-2020

Is that right?

I'm curious, especially for #1, did you propose that idea at the time, or is this a pure hindsight position?

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So just to make sure I understand, your position is that we should have:

1. Signed Teddy Bridgewater to a long-term deal to be our starting QB pre-2018 season (instead of trading him to N.O.) and (presumably) never drafted Sam Darnold, retaining the 2018 #1 and the thre 32's we traded to acquire him?

2. Should have hired Matt Rhule, including his buyout and given him full control over his staff, instead of Gase.

3. Should have resigned Robby to a long-term deal at his asking price pre-2020

Is that right?

I'm curious, especially for #1, did you propose that idea at the time, or is this a pure hindsight position?

For the record, and it's on this very board, able for anyone to search

I wanted Mahomes instead of Jamal Adams prior to the Teddy B window

Mahomes went 10, Adams went 6

no one remembers that crap. They remember gholston and Drob but not this 

I would have signed Robby during his RFA year before Free agency and I would have yes hired Rhule (again this is all searchable)

that aside you forgot to include draft Quenton Nelson at 6

but if they had drafted Mahomes maybe they aren't at 6 

a butterfly and the tsunami, etc 

Hypothetically Teddy in a fair QB competition would have beaten out Darnold but the Jets had to coronate another QB 

they can't abide competition 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

the Jets could have had Matt Rhule 

they already had Teddy 

Robby was already here 

this isn't one super crazy hypothetical to have all 3 together in green and white 

the difference is Carolina is willing to spend money and the New York Jets aren't

Rhule required a buyout + 8M a year. Teddy and Robby needed real NFL player second contracts. 

the Jets instead chose Gase and pay him in Ham Sandwiches 

I keep finding myself agreeing with you. ?

Fidelio is making sense and his Eeyore mentality is fitting for this dumpster fire so there is no reason to find a quarrel with him.

DWC crawled back into his hole. I keep leaving bait outside of it but not even a nibble.

I have no one to throw barbs with.

Anyone else who was fun to harass put me on ignore because of their sensitivities. 

If ever a season called for more internet blood sports it's this one yet there is no sport to be had ..... 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, bitonti said:

For the record, and it's on this very board, able for anyone to search

Cool, can you find it and link it, because I am unable to do so.  I'd really love to read it in context.

Since it's available for anyone to search, I presume you (who wrote it) can do better than I in finding it and linking it.  Appreciated.

I wanted Mahomes instead of Jamal Adams prior to the Teddy B window

Mahomes went 10, Adams went 6

no one remembers that crap. They remember gholston and Drob but not this 

Sure we remember Bit.  Same way I remember I wanted Watson, no Adams.  Many of us wanted a QB drafted that draft.

I would have signed Robby during his RFA year before Free agency and I would have yes hired Rhule (again this is all searchable)

No need on this one, I recall you being a Rhule fan.  

a butterfly and the tsunami, etc 

Indeed, once you make one major change, it's really a hundred changes.  

I'm mostly interested in this "sign Bridgewater to be our long-term QB" post or posts.  I recall being a Teddy guy at the time, I don't recall many others, and I definitely do not recall anyone calling for him to get a long term deal and be given a chance to compete in any legit way vs. Darnold.

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Now, let's flip the script, in this flip the script post:

-Do we believe that Robbie Anderson is a high character, locker room leader type? I don't know. Some of his off field stuff, suggests maybe not.

By all appearances, Douglas is looking to fill his club with high character guys.

C'mon...who here amongst us hasn't wanted to nut in a cop's wife's eye? 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bungaman said:

Robbie's present coaching staff isn't so concerned about forcing square pegs into round holes.  You adopt your system to the players you have, rather than trying to get your players to do things that they suck at, and give them more opportunities to do the things they are good at.

That does not describe our current coaching staff, now or last season. As a matter of fact, they seem to be a coaching staff in name only. (Although, judging by the rags today, looks like all the McCarthy groupies might want to reconsider their enthusiasm - seems he's about the same as Gase: getting by on the coattails of a great QB in his previous job.)

Who the hell hires someone because Peyton gave a thumbs up. It's an absolute joke and makes me sick to my stomach that people in a position to be fortunate enough to own any franchise don't have the brains to hire people that are smarter around them, JD is our only hope.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

I went over this with Shane earlier...

he is running far more short routes than he did here...  the routes he is running THERE at Caro are being run HERE by Crowder...

he target rate is up, the depth of his routes is down, his YAC is up cos he is turning it upfield after the catch...

to do THAT here, Crowder we have to play far fewer snaps and Robbo would get a larger share of targets on those shorter routes...

ifyou look atthe advanced metrics the avg depth of his route is down roughly 5 yards from last 2 years here where it was~15

now its 10

I hadn't thought of this but it's a good point.  When I watched some of those Tampa games at the end of last year where Perriman went off, he was running a lot of hitches and short crossers vs. all Go routes.  Now he has slotted into Robby's role here and he's a JAG while Crowder's getting 10+ targets a game...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I hadn't thought of this but it's a good point.  When I watched some of those Tampa games at the end of last year where Perriman went off, he was running a lot of hitches and short crossers vs. all Go routes.  Now he has slotted into Robby's role here and he's a JAG while Crowder's getting 10+ targets a game...

andyou add that Teddy B's game is more accuracy and game management than going deep....

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Until McCown's Denver meltdown & inevitable injury, he was on pace for 1100 yards and 9 TDs in his 2nd season. 

He just needed upgrades from Josh McCown and John Morton.

Instead he got downgrades to Sam Darnold and Bates/Loggains/Gase.

mccowns 2017 was respectable and 15th in NFL in ESPNQBR (0-100) 

thats signifcantly better than Sam has played to date.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

So we've had endless threads about how dumb it was to move Anderson.  Because JD should have known he'd be this awesome...here?  Which he clearly didn't.

So it begs the REAL question:  Why is Robby Anderson a contender for best WR in the NFL in Carolina, when he was an afterthought of a player/producer here in New York his entire career? 

What would the Jets have had to do/change to get this level of production for Anderson?

Rather than "just resign Anderson", this question is IMO the more important.  What ELSE would Douglas have had to do to get THIS Anderson for us in 2020, because simply resigning him is clearly not enough.

So presuming Anderson is a great as he is showing in CAR, how could WE have gotten that?  Please, be specific.

Why is it only important what we get out of him in 2020?

Pretty sure we could sign him for longer. Have him play under a coach who isn't the worst in the league.

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Now, let's flip the script, in this flip the script post:

-Do we believe that Robbie Anderson is a high character, locker room leader type? I don't know. Some of his off field stuff, suggests maybe not.

By all appearances, Douglas is looking to fill his club with high character guys.

IMO Robbie May not be very articulate or speak the kings English but an interview I saw with him showed a guy who wanted to get better and wasn’t the thug that was portrayed after he said stupid things to a cop.  I don’t think his locker room presence or demeanor caused Douglas to not match or exceed the money he got. I think it was mainly that they didn’t think he was progressing as a route runner. In hindsight they should have gone higher. At least Robbie, even with his smallish frame didn’t get injured and would fight for balls.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Why is it only important what we get out of him in 2020?

It's not.

Pretty sure we could sign him for longer.

We could.

Have him play under a coach who isn't the worst in the league.

You know who our next Coach (and QB) are, and when they'll be here?  

Care to share?

4 hours ago, Jet Life said:

I mean the guy averaged 800 yards and 6 TDs for 3 years straight here with suspect QB play. Not like he was a bad player. The "he wouldn't be as good here because Gase sucks" reasoning for not signing a player is idiotic. Robby haters just take your L and move on. Not that hard to do, its ok to be wrong about things in life

Sam will make the pro bowl as soon as he escapes from Gase

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Effort.

This is it. 

Carolina is force feeding Robby balls, keeping him engaged in the game, and he is also trying to turn the stop gap contract he signed this off-season into a large payday.  Credit to him for finally giving a sh*t, but if he gave a microcosm of that effort here, he’d still be a Jets WR with a long-term, big money contract.

Joe Brady also helps.

There is tangible proof of him dogging routes.  This isn’t something that is up for debate.

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

So we've had endless threads about how dumb it was to move Anderson.  Because JD should have known he'd be this awesome...here?  Which he clearly didn't.

So it begs the REAL question:  Why is Robby Anderson a contender for best WR in the NFL in Carolina, when he was an afterthought of a player/producer here in New York his entire career? 

What would the Jets have had to do/change to get this level of production for Anderson?

Rather than "just resign Anderson", this question is IMO the more important.  What ELSE would Douglas have had to do to get THIS Anderson for us in 2020, because simply resigning him is clearly not enough.

So presuming Anderson is a great as he is showing in CAR, how could WE have gotten that?  Please, be specific.

My spontaneous response was that Robby has a more accurate QB 

If you watch the film he's actually running a lot of the same routes that he was here last year.  But the difference is a few things:

1) he's not the only wr on that team.  They have 3 capable guys

2) Their offensive line is doing a great job in pass protection allowing his routes to develop more

3) Teddy is very accurate with his throws and getting him the ball in the right spots.  

He's always had talent, just needed a better situation to showcase it.  

His issue here was that he was lazy a lot of times because he always assumed the line would crap out which it usually did.  But when it didnt it highlighted him throttling down on routes.  He's taken his play up a notch under a coach that is on him to succeed. 

19 hours ago, Warfish said:

Cool, can you find it and link it, because I am unable to do so.  I'd really love to read it in context.

Since it's available for anyone to search, I presume you (who wrote it) can do better than I in finding it and linking it.  Appreciated.