Flip the Script: WHY is Robby Anderson so Good for Carolina?

Warfish

One thing I look at with Robby is that in pretty much every year he played regularly with the Jets, he had a 3-4 game stretch where he looked like a #1 level receiver.  Then might have another game or 2 sprinkled in throughout the year that were positive, then the rest of the season was meh at best.

So far this year, he's produced more regularly.  Does that mean he will keep it up?  That remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

it's also incredibly insulting to both Jackson and Riley to be compared to Adam Gase

Not really.  Jackson's stint with the Knicks was terrible.  Almost everything he did turned out to be a disaster, except for drafting Porzingis and even that went bad eventually.  He tried to bring the triangle offense back into the league and it flopped and he had no answer for that.  I see a striking parallel between that and what Gase is doing here.

23 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Not really.  Jackson's stint with the Knicks was terrible.  Almost everything he did turned out to be a disaster, except for drafting Porzingis and even that went bad eventually.  He tried to bring the triangle offense back into the league and it flopped and he had no answer for that.  I see a striking parallel between that and what Gase is doing here.

except that one guy is Phil Jackson, HOF coach all time great but past his prime (riley too)

the other is Adam Gase future mental institution resident who never really had a prime 

On 10/21/2020 at 2:20 PM, nycdan said:

This thread is making me sad.

It's hard not to lash out and ban everybody.  It was that or day-drinking.  Tito, my old friend, come to papa.

Evidently, Max has a Thanos/Doomsday button in his arsenal that he used during the draft to accomplish exactly this.  Maybe you could look into this?

55 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Evidently, Max has a Thanos/Doomsday button in his arsenal that he used during the draft to accomplish exactly this.  Maybe you could look into this?

I would really be doing everyone a favor, wouldn't I?  That sounds a lot like what Thanos would say.

• Haha 1

Anderson, Darnold, Bell,have been nuetered by a HC who isn't capable of calling plays that take advantage of the players skillset. He's a system coach, much like Steve Spurrier. Gase. A college coach at best. Past tense on Anderson and Bell obviously. Lol.

22 hours ago, rangerous said:

IMO Robbie May not be very articulate or speak the kings English but an interview I saw with him showed a guy who wanted to get better and wasn’t the thug that was portrayed after he said stupid things to a cop.  I don’t think his locker room presence or demeanor caused Douglas to not match or exceed the money he got. I think it was mainly that they didn’t think he was progressing as a route runner. In hindsight they should have gone higher. At least Robbie, even with his smallish frame didn’t get injured and would fight for balls.

So all he needed, to "progress" as a route runner, was virtual/Zoom minicamps and like 3.5 weeks of half-assed / covid-abbreviated TC away from the Jets? That's a hard one to sell.

5 minutes ago, genot said:

Anderson, Darnold, Bell,have been nuetered by a HC who isn't capable of calling plays that take advantage of the players skillset. He's a system coach, much like Steve Spurrier. Gase. A college coach at best

Anderson has been in the NFL since 2016.  He is on his 3rd head coach and his 5th offensive coordinator.  

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So all he needed, to "progress" as a route runner, was virtual/Zoom minicamps and like 3.5 weeks of half-assed / covid-abbreviated TC away from the Jets? That's a hard one to sell.

that's not what i said.  it was in response to why robbie wasn't pursued more by the jets and it could that was their assessment.  i'm just a fan.  i couldn't tell a good route from a bad so i rely on the reporters and posters like you for my player assessments.  i thought robbie was worth keeping, just not at no. 1 receiver money.

We have people that have overrated and underrated him but reality is he is a good WR2. On Carolina, he and DJ Moore do a Good job of playing off each other and helping each other out. On the jets Robby could be taken away with good game planning. We didn’t see him as a game breaker but if he had another solid WR2 the jets could have had a Thielen/Diggs combo

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

On 10/21/2020 at 1:27 PM, Warfish said:

So we've had endless threads about how dumb it was to move Anderson.  Because JD should have known he'd be this awesome...here?  Which he clearly didn't.

So it begs the REAL question:  Why is Robby Anderson a contender for best WR in the NFL in Carolina, when he was an afterthought of a player/producer here in New York his entire career? 

What would the Jets have had to do/change to get this level of production for Anderson?

Rather than "just resign Anderson", this question is IMO the more important.  What ELSE would Douglas have had to do to get THIS Anderson for us in 2020, because simply resigning him is clearly not enough.

So presuming Anderson is a great as he is showing in CAR, how could WE have gotten that?  Please, be specific.

The bottom line with ALL of this imho is TALENT. And maybe a slight, little bit of idiocy on RA's part? RA's part is essentially so small that it's pretty much irrelevant. 

Robbie had "Geno Smith disease" for a while. His actions off the field were that of an a$$hole. So rightfully so, Jets management and the fan base were pretty much in lock step on Robbie. Offer him a contract but not one with crazy money. His conduct off the field had something to do with his reduced offer as well.

However, the biggest reason why he's excelling now is because he actually has talent around him. Carolina is nothing special IMO when it comes to drafting? They're average as far as I'm concerned. But even being average at drafting is infinitely better than the Jets train wreck of a scouting department. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm exaggerating the issue here? You must have talent to win and the Jets have ZERO. Then, when the Jets start to acquire a genuinely talented athlete like a Jamal Adams, they immediately TRADE said staple player for picks. As though suddenly the Jets can acquire an equal or greater amount of talent with those picks. Well, I'm not here to go off on Joe Douglas. IMO, the jury is still out on Joe? IMO, thus far he's been shaky at best in handling the draft and FA? What I can say with 100% confidence is that trading Jamal for picks with Mac making decisions? Would have meant just another train wreck of BAD decisions in a long, long list.

In the end, Robbie's development in Carolina, should be equally as eye opening as watch the Jets field the very worst team, potentially, in the history of the league. The Jets are currently expansion team bad. This only can change when the GENERAL MANAGER, and no one else, starts doing his job.

BTW, Robby Anderson's numbers have all the earmarks of being a "possession" receiver type.

-46 receptions place him tied for 6th in the NFL

-640 yards place him second in the NFL.

-13.9 YPR place him 36th in the NFL.

-1 Td reception ties him for 99th in the league.

Of course, small sample size of only 7 games. But this guy is not a break the seal over the top WR. He is more Jamison Crowder than that.

On 10/21/2020 at 12:33 PM, joewilly12 said:

He's not being relied on to be a #1 WR.

Not only that but teams are taking him away and forcing Bridgewater to go elsewhere. THe same thing teams did when he was a Jet but there are some idiots in this fan base that couldn't comprehend this.

On 10/22/2020 at 2:50 PM, rangerous said:

that's not what i said.  it was in response to why robbie wasn't pursued more by the jets and it could that was their assessment.  i'm just a fan.  i couldn't tell a good route from a bad so i rely on the reporters and posters like you for my player assessments.  i thought robbie was worth keeping, just not at no. 1 receiver money.

Ask yourself this question: Is a homerun hitter in baseball worth paying if he's a game changer? Or a NBA player who's an excellent 3 point shooter worth paying even though he isn't good at defense? If you say yes to at least one of these questions then Robby was worth paying no. 1 receiver money...though we aren't talking about Julio Jones type money.

7 minutes ago, STLuLu said:

Ask yourself this question: Is a homerun hitter in baseball worth paying if he's a game changer? Or a NBA player who's an excellent 3 point shooter worth paying even though he isn't good at defense? If you say yes to at least one of these questions then Robby was worth paying no. 1 receiver money...though we aren't talking about Julio Jones type money.

not for nothing in yesterday's game it looked like mims and perriman are going to fill in very nicely for robbie.  it would've been great to have both of these guys playing from game 1.

25 minutes ago, rangerous said:

not for nothing in yesterday's game it looked like mims and perriman are going to fill in very nicely for robbie.  it would've been great to have both of these guys playing from game 1.

How come the Jets couldn't have had all three? Mims is a rookie and Perriman wasn't in high demand so it wouldn't have been a cap issue.

1 hour ago, STLuLu said:

Don't see how Robbie is now considered a "homerun hitter". He has 1 TD. As mentioned earlier in this thread, he looks more like a possession receiver.

1 hour ago, STLuLu said:

How come the Jets couldn't have had all three? Mims is a rookie and Perriman wasn't in high demand so it wouldn't have been a cap issue.

maybe robbie just wanted to play for rhule.  you know it takes two to tango.  if the jets offered robbie a good deal and he still left then maybe we should just accept it and move on.  it wouldn't be the first time a potential jet player took a different, and sometimes lower paying, deal.

31 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Don't see how Robbie is now considered a "homerun hitter". He has 1 TD. As mentioned earlier in this thread, he looks more like a possession receiver.

Because he doesn't have a QB with a fastball. Bridgewater just throws change-ups. At least they have a coach that understands that. If you recall all the Robby haters on here used to complain that he was a one-trick pony and all he knew how to do was go deep.

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

maybe robbie just wanted to play for rhule.  you know it takes two to tango.  if the jets offered robbie a good deal and he still left then maybe we should just accept it and move on.  it wouldn't be the first time a potential jet player took a different, and sometimes lower paying, deal.

Now I have to ask how come the Jets didn't make a push for Rhule instead of letting him walk and settling for the disaster that we have now? The bottom line is that this organization is incompetent.