Miami - sounds like something that woud happen here

CTJetsFan

Ryan Fitzpatrick said he was "shocked" by the Dolphins' decision to bench him and name Tua Tagovailoa the starter for Week 8 against the Rams.

Fitzpatrick was caught off guard when he was called into coach Brian Flores' office to learn the news and admitted it "broke his heart" to find out he's not the starter anymore. "I basically got fired yesterday and my day today consisted of Zoom meetings listening to the guy who fired me, and being in a spaced out room listening to the guy who replaced me," Fitzpatrick said. He felt the Dolphins were his team right now, and he was playing well, leading the Dolphins to a 3-3 record headed into their bye week. Clearly, if this was Miami's plan all along, Fitzpatrick had no idea and was blindsided by it. There's been some chatter that the Dolphins could potentially listen to trade offers for Fitzpatrick ahead of the November 3 deadline. The NFL is always more fun when Fitzpatrick is playing.

• Haha 1

I respect Fitz but he is limited and has never been a playoff QB for a reason (look at his career record vs. winning teams). 

We also don't know how Tua looks in practice compared to Fitz (maybe he's just lighting it up and is obviously the better player?). I would have waited for a couple of losses before making the move, but I can't go crazy about it. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

Why? To try and make a playoff push?

Noooooo for those looking to restore some decency here or to teach Sam Darnold IF he's our QB of the future. 

Joe Flacco certainly isn't teaching him a damn thing. 

Im ok with 0-16 I want 0-16 IF it gets us Trevor Lawrence. 

Ultimately, it's no different than what the Giants pulled on Warner back in 2004, who were 5-4 at the time.  Can't really blame Fitzpatrick for being unhappy about it, since it's not anything he did that led to this change, but it's obviously more of a move of what they think is best for the team's future than anything else.  It's not exactly like anyone considers them Super Bowl contenders with Fitz anyway.

• Post of the Week 1

Better to pull off the band-aid now than in 6 weeks, obviously Fitz is limited and will disappoint when it matters most. He put up like 3 ducks last week that should have been picked and they kind of played like crap even though they won 24-0 lol

• Upvote 1

if this was the plan it’s dumb for a couple of reasons...

if you want to build up Tuas confidence Start him against the Jets...not against Aaron Darnold and the Rams the next week

veterans on the team don’t like throwing a rookie in when vet playing well and in the hunt for a playoff spot($$$)   Also losing starting job when you are playing well For no reason doesn’t send a great message either.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Remember when the Bills benched Doug Flutie for Rob Johnson right before the playoffs?

That was the music city miracle, right?

I tokk the train into NYC that day and was waiting in a Penn Station bar for my bro at the end of that game....

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Didn't this basically happen in 2016? I don't remember Fitz being thrilled about being benched for Bryce Petty and IIRC seeking out McCown was related to wanting a better locker room guy.

Huger difference

Fitz sucked in 2016 and the team was losing.

19 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

if you want to build up Tuas confidence Start him against the Jets...not against Aaron Darnold and the Rams the next week

They did it now because they have a bye week, not the Rams

Either youre ready to play him or you dont think hes ready and you keep hi on the bench.  Theres a lot of tough teams on the schedule.  Though they could have waited a month for the Broncos game

Just now, Jet Nut said:

They did it now because they have a bye week, not the Rams

Either youre ready to play him or you dont think hes ready and you keep hi on the bench.  Theres a lot of tough teams on the schedule.  Though they could have waited a month for the Broncos game

The Broncos beat NE this past weekend. 

3 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

"I basically got fired yesterday and my day today consisted of Zoom meetings listening to the guy who fired me, and being in a spaced out room listening to the guy who replaced me,"

Reality check, Ryan.  You didn't get fired.   You are still employed by the Dolphins.  You were just replaced as a starting QB.  You are still getting paid your same $500K per game for the rest of the season.  Be a good teammate, accept your role and support the young guy who replaced you.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Ultimately, it's no different than what the Giants pulled on Warner back in 2004, who were 5-4 at the time.  Can't really blame Fitzpatrick for being unhappy about it, since it's not anything he did that led to this change, but it's obviously more of a move of what they think is best for the team's future than anything else.  It's not exactly like anyone considers them Super Bowl contenders with Fitz anyway.

Warner was in a tailspin when they benched him and was fumbling like Daniel Jones. The Giants were losing games. Fitz has won his last three games and impressively at that. 

I find this bizarre. They're playing really well and all in depth stats were showing they were much better than their record. They're one play away from leading the division.

I think this is an absolutely bizarre move. Especially given Fitzpatrick is an extremely popular teammate, he was here and was there. This is the sort of decision that could destroy a locker room if Tua isn't immediately good. He must be playing lights out in practice for them to make this call now. Let's hope for the worst.

It's the same BS he pulled here with Geno, shocked he was benched after throwing like 11 intercept able passes in one game.  Unfortunately for us, we had a divided locker room and a dearth of talent.  He knows he's a journeyman, but he plays the good guy back up when he's starting.  Everyone kissing his ass about how happy he was to see Tua go in,  Wonder what happened to that.  

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fitz saying he felt this was "his team".  They drafted a QB in the first round, and you've been on 8 teams in your career to date.  You don't have a "team".  You're a journeyman.  This is what happens to journeymen QB's on teams who drafted a QB round 1. 

His own teammates were saying as much of late. He might be the most popular player in the league. Loved by all except bitter Jets fans. 

He's 3-3. Had his defence not let him down vs Buffalo he'd be in the division lead. He's playing well. It's a ridiculous decision unless Tua is looking exceptional. 

35 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

His own teammates were saying as much of late. He might be the most popular player in the league. Loved by all except bitter Jets fans. 

He's 3-3. Had his defence not let him down vs Buffalo he'd be in the division lead. He's playing well. It's a ridiculous decision unless Tua is looking exceptional. 

Nah.

• Upvote 1