Jets can trade Sam Darnold,hard to pass on monster Trevor Lawrence:Joe Namath

Jets can trade Sam Darnold, hard to pass on ‘monster’ Trevor Lawrence: Joe Namath

October 21, 2020 | 1:22pm

Joe Namath doesn’t know what the Jets will do if they secure the No. 1 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, but the Super Bowl III MVP believes it will be difficult for any team to bypass Clemson star quarterback Trevor Lawrence.

“It’d be hard to pass on Lawrence, I’ll tell you,” Namath said Wednesday in an interview on the Jake Asman Show on SportsMap Radio. “He’s just a marvelous player and has been the last few years.

“Everything about him — his passing ability, his movement, his habit of winning — he’s a monster. So whoever is going to have a chance to get him will probably take him.”

The Jets have opened the season 0-6 under beleaguered second-year coach Adam Gase; they are the league’s only winless team entering Sunday’s game against the Buffalo Bills.

Sam Darnold, the No. 3 overall pick in the 2018 draft, posted just a 70.7 passer rating with a poor completion percentage (59.4 percent) and just three touchdowns with four interceptions through four games before missing the last two with a shoulder injury.

“I don’t know whether Sam is still going to be there,” Namath said. “If the Jets are in that undesirable position…of being in last place, but being in the most desirable position to have the first pick, I don’t know what they’re gonna do. They could maybe get other draft choices. Do they still believe in Sam? I don’t look at the video of the game and the replays the way the coaches do, so they’ll make that decision.

–“If it did end up being our guys, our team, (GM) Joe Douglas, who’s there now, they’ll make that decision. Because they probably can…there’s a lot of other teams, there’s 31 other teams and Sam Darnold can play for several of them. So he may be somewhere else starting if that scenario did unfold. If the Jets had that No. 1 pick they might do something with Sam to get another high draft choice or two or three. So I don’t know.”

Asked earlier in the interview about the hot-seated Gase, Broadway Joe said he believes the Jets’ poor record is more a reflection of the players.

“He’s young yet,” Namath said of the 42-year-old Gase. “Different coaches go about their work in different ways, but ultimately it comes down to the execution on the field.

“The Jets have had a tough time and being such a fan myself of the Jets, I just have a tough time talking about them. I’d like to say something positive, and I just know that they’re trying hard. I know that coach Gase is trying hard. The players I hope are still trying hard. It’s frustrating. The fans, as you know, it’s not fun to not have a good team, not just one season, but year in and year out. We haven’t been to the playoffs very often since we got (to the Super Bowl) the first time.”

image.gif

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Joe is the only spokesperson the Jets have these days. If they were gonna send someone from the organization to Trevors house to vouch for us he’s the only guy. Maybe Curtis Martin? I don’t know who else. I don’t think Revis would vouch for us 

Wayne Chrebet 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Jets can trade Sam Darnold, hard to pass on ‘monster’ Trevor Lawrence: Joe Namath

October 21, 2020 | 1:22pm

Joe Namath doesn’t know what the Jets will do if they secure the No. 1 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, but the Super Bowl III MVP believes it will be difficult for any team to bypass Clemson star quarterback Trevor Lawrence.

“It’d be hard to pass on Lawrence, I’ll tell you,” Namath said Wednesday in an interview on the Jake Asman Show on SportsMap Radio. “He’s just a marvelous player and has been the last few years.

“Everything about him — his passing ability, his movement, his habit of winning — he’s a monster. So whoever is going to have a chance to get him will probably take him.”

The Jets have opened the season 0-6 under beleaguered second-year coach Adam Gase; they are the league’s only winless team entering Sunday’s game against the Buffalo Bills.

Sam Darnold, the No. 3 overall pick in the 2018 draft, posted just a 70.7 passer rating with a poor completion percentage (59.4 percent) and just three touchdowns with four interceptions through four games before missing the last two with a shoulder injury.

“I don’t know whether Sam is still going to be there,” Namath said. “If the Jets are in that undesirable position…of being in last place, but being in the most desirable position to have the first pick, I don’t know what they’re gonna do. They could maybe get other draft choices. Do they still believe in Sam? I don’t look at the video of the game and the replays the way the coaches do, so they’ll make that decision.

–“If it did end up being our guys, our team, (GM) Joe Douglas, who’s there now, they’ll make that decision. Because they probably can…there’s a lot of other teams, there’s 31 other teams and Sam Darnold can play for several of them. So he may be somewhere else starting if that scenario did unfold. If the Jets had that No. 1 pick they might do something with Sam to get another high draft choice or two or three. So I don’t know.”

Asked earlier in the interview about the hot-seated Gase, Broadway Joe said he believes the Jets’ poor record is more a reflection of the players.

“He’s young yet,” Namath said of the 42-year-old Gase. “Different coaches go about their work in different ways, but ultimately it comes down to the execution on the field.

“The Jets have had a tough time and being such a fan myself of the Jets, I just have a tough time talking about them. I’d like to say something positive, and I just know that they’re trying hard. I know that coach Gase is trying hard. The players I hope are still trying hard. It’s frustrating. The fans, as you know, it’s not fun to not have a good team, not just one season, but year in and year out. We haven’t been to the playoffs very often since we got (to the Super Bowl) the first time.”

image.gif

I think a bunch of us would sign up to see that lol?

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I know he is a Jets Icon but come on. The guy probably barely remembers what he did a day ago. This is who is evaluating the Jets for the fans. 

WRONG and DISRESPECTFUL 

I met Joe Namath a few years ago the guy is all there and still remembers his playing days. 

He probably knows more about football than Adam Gase and Joe Douglas. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

....and here comes the weekly Joe Namath follow me on social media pile-on. 

Don't want to hear from him ever again.  He's the Fireman Ed of retired Jets.

SAR I

What has Joe Namath ever done for this franchise anyway.  Let's hand the keys over to Adam Gase, instead!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Joe is the only spokesperson the Jets have these days. If they were gonna send someone from the organization to Trevors house to vouch for us he’s the only guy. Maybe Curtis Martin? I don’t know who else. I don’t think Revis would vouch for us 

Send mangold to have dinner and drinks with trevor

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

....and here comes the weekly Joe Namath follow me on social media pile-on. 

Don't want to hear from him ever again.  He's the Fireman Ed of retired Jets.

SAR I

Great Player no doubt. But, I hate him. If Jet fans only realized what his on-field arrogance cost the Jets, no one would be a Namath fan. Every game should have looked like Superbowl III --  Heavy run; no high risk passes; lean on the D. Instead, he lost as many games as he won with his arm. The guy was never a leader. Always in it for himself. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Great Player no doubt. But, I hate him. If Jet fans only realized what his on-field arrogance cost the Jets, no one would be a Namath fan. Every game should have looked like Superbowl III --  Heavy run; no high risk passes; lean on the D. Instead, he lost as many games as he won with his arm. The guy was never a leader. Always in it for himself. 

Hear hear.  Not to mention, Joe did everything he could to cost us the AFL Championship Game, creeping out of a midtown hotel at 5AM on gameday hungover after a night partying.

Then, with chronic knees, he goes water skiing and blows out both hamstrings, missing an entire season.  Water skiing.  On those knees.  Think about it.

The guy was a train wreck.  It's a miracle he got us our one tiny moment of relevance and now all he is is a decrepit reminder of 50 years of frustration who shows up like clockwork every October to chime in like we care what he has to say.  I used to worship the guy.  Not anymore.

SAR I

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

What has Joe Namath ever done for this franchise anyway.  Let's hand the keys over to Adam Gase, instead!

Yeah, he won a SB, thanks to his D, O line and running game. And cost the Jets 2 more SBs due to his arrogance in the passing game. From 1966 to 1969 you could always count on Namath to throw away an easily winnable game .

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Hear hear.  Not to mention, Joe did everything he could to cost us the AFL Championship Game, creeping out of a midtown hotel at 5AM on gameday hungover after a night partying.

Then, with chronic knees, he goes water skiing and blows out both hamstrings, missing an entire season.  Water skiing.  On those knees.  Think about it.

The guy was a train wreck.  It's a miracle he got us our one tiny moment of relevance and now all he is is a decrepit reminder of 50 years of frustration who shows up like clockwork every October to chime in like we care what he has to say.  I used to worship the guy.  Not anymore.

SAR I

Even his teammates didn't respect him. Weeb MADE the players pick Namath as their captain. Gerry Philbin, who REALLY is one of the greatest Jets of all time, hates Namath, always has. 

• Post of the Week 1

37 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Yeah, he won a SB, thanks to his D, O line and running game. And cost the Jets 2 more SBs due to his arrogance in the passing game. From 1966 to 1969 you could always count on Namath to throw away an easily winnable game .

He was before my time but that's interesting to hear.  In any case, I think we'd all love to see even 1 SB win these days.  Throwing away a couple more would absolutely svck but we are so far in the abyss right now that it doesn't sound too bad at the moment.  Most great teams blow championships anyway.  Russell Wilson should've thrown the ball away.  Aaron Rodgers only has 1 SB.  Brett Favre only got 1.  Dallas fired Jimmy Johnson when they could've won 4 straight.  etc

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

He was before my time but that's interesting to hear.  In any case, I think we'd all love to see even 1 SB win these days.  Throwing away a couple more would absolutely svck but we are so far in the abyss right now that it doesn't sound too bad at the moment.  Most great teams blow championships anyway.  Russell Wilson should've thrown the ball away.  Aaron Rodgers only has 1 SB.  Brett Favre only got 1.  Dallas fired Jimmy Johnson when they could've won 4 straight.  etc

In the 1970s, 80s and even 90s I wasn't as upset about it. But, having now waited 50 years for the next SB appearance, I've grown to despise Namath for the wasted opportunity.