Jets can trade Sam Darnold,hard to pass on monster Trevor Lawrence:Joe Namath

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Joe is the only spokesperson the Jets have these days. If they were gonna send someone from the organization to Trevors house to vouch for us he’s the only guy. Maybe Curtis Martin? I don’t know who else. I don’t think Revis would vouch for us 

I don't think ANY former Jets would speak positively about being a JET in it's current form.  NOT even Namath.  

As long as the Johnsons are here....   we're toast.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

In the 1970s, 80s and even 90s I wasn't as upset about it. But, having now waited 50 years for the next SB appearance, I've grown to despise Namath for the wasted opportunity.

What year was the latest you think he cost us a title?  Whatever year it was, we'd be coming up on 50 years without a title regardless, no?

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

What year was the latest you think he cost us a title?  Whatever year it was, we'd be coming up on 50 years without a title regardless, no?

But I'd have 2. As it stands now everyone thinks the Jets win was a fluke delivered by the great Joe Namath. It was no fluke. It was a great team with many great players. So, instead of having one "miracle" win guaranteed by their charismatic QB, people would appreciate the Jets team. 

13 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

But I'd have 2. As it stands now everyone thinks the Jets win was a fluke delivered by the great Joe Namath. It was no fluke. It was a great team with many great players. So, instead of having one "miracle" win guaranteed by their charismatic QB, people would appreciate the Jets team. 

In some ways, only winning 1 might add to the legend.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I don't think ANY former Jets would speak positively about being a JET in it's current form.  NOT even Namath.  

As long as the Johnsons are here....   we're toast.

I think Namath has the biggest incentive to be an ambassador to the organization.  If we're an embarrassment then it takes away from his statute, no?  As in "he's the greatest QB in this pathetic franchise's history".

• Sympathy 1

I think Namath has the biggest incentive to be an ambassador to the organization.  If we're an embarrassment then it takes away from his statute, no?  As in "he's the greatest QB in this pathetic franchise's history".
I think he also realises that we look to him as ole noble leader! He can't bad-mouth thousands of us who are still hanging on to hope and change for this franchise.

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think it's time to let that go.  It's been 50 years now.  :)

People need to remember the real Namath. The self absorbed a-hole that refused to do the simple things needed to win in favor of doing the flashy things to feed his ego and build his brand.

I'll leave you with this. The year the Jets won the SB, they lost to the Bills. It was the Bills only win of the season. Here is a recap:

The Bills won only one game that entire year. They beat the Jets, 37-35, in a few hours of utter football madness. “Joe Namath completed seven touchdown passes,” said Dan Darragh, the Bills quarterback at the time. “Four were to his team, and three were to us.”

Indeed, the Bills scored one offensive touchdown, on a 2-yard-run by Ben Gregory. They won the game by turning three of Namath's five interceptions into touchdowns, including back-to-back picks by Byrd and Booker Edgerson in the fourth quarter, interceptions that were only 62 seconds apart. Byrd returned his for a 53-yard score, Edgerson for 45.

Earlier in the game, safety Tom Janik intercepted Namath and took the ball 100 yards, the length of the field, for a touchdown.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/sean-kirst-speaking-of-bills-upsets-remember-68-jolt-to-joe-namaths-jets/article_4b30c5b2-dcea-5637-88a9-5749e7ee3aed.html

• Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

People need to remember the real Namath. The self absorbed a-hole that refused to do the simple things needed to win in favor of doing the flashy things to feed his ego and build his brand.

I'll leave you with this. The year the Jets won the SB, they lost to the Bills. It was the Bills only win of the season. Here is a recap:

Maybe the partying was part of that era?  As in "tough guys can party all night and still win".  I know the Packers had that in SB I with Max McGee (though he didn't expect to play).

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Not to mention, Joe did everything he could to cost us the AFL Championship Game, creeping out of a midtown hotel at 5AM on gameday hungover after a night partying.

So f***ing what, Joe still got his eight hours in.  Back then the players only had to wake up early enough to be at the stadium 5 minutes before kickoff.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Joe is the only spokesperson the Jets have these days. If they were gonna send someone from the organization to Trevors house to vouch for us he’s the only guy. Maybe Curtis Martin? I don’t know who else. I don’t think Revis would vouch for us 

4386A761-BD36-43BD-9F83-527F668A88A2.jpeg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

So f***ing what, Joe still got his eight hours in.  Back then the players only had to wake up early enough to be at the stadium 5 minutes before kickoff.

It's an irresponsible thing to do to your teammates, coaches, and millions of fans depending on you.

If not for a miracle catch by Maynard or a dumb lateral by Lamonica, Joe Namath's legacy would forever be partying away the Jets chance at a Super Bowl.

SAR I

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Maybe the partying was part of that era?  As in "tough guys can party all night and still win".  I know the Packers had that in SB I with Max McGee (though he didn't expect to play).

91gy54YqvYL.jpg

Read this book.  It will forever change your perception of Mr. Guarantee and also explain why he shows up every time something goes wrong with the Jets like clockwork.

SAR I

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

91gy54YqvYL.jpg

Read this book.  It will forever change your perception of Mr. Guarantee and also explain why he shows up every time something goes wrong with the Jets like clockwork.

SAR I

Mister, it would take the entire Chinese army to show up every time something goes wrong with the Jets.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

It's an irresponsible thing to do to your teammates, coaches, and millions of fans depending on you.

If not for a miracle catch by Maynard or a dumb lateral by Lamonica, Joe Namath's legacy would forever be partying away the Jets chance at a Super Bowl.

SAR I

Sh*tting on Broadway Joe with your tongue firmly up Adam Gase's ass. 

You are an interesting one, I'll give you that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Jets can trade Sam Darnold, hard to pass on ‘monster’ Trevor Lawrence: Joe Namath

October 21, 2020 | 1:22pm

Joe Namath doesn’t know what the Jets will do if they secure the No. 1 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, but the Super Bowl III MVP believes it will be difficult for any team to bypass Clemson star quarterback Trevor Lawrence.

“It’d be hard to pass on Lawrence, I’ll tell you,” Namath said Wednesday in an interview on the Jake Asman Show on SportsMap Radio. “He’s just a marvelous player and has been the last few years.

“Everything about him — his passing ability, his movement, his habit of winning — he’s a monster. So whoever is going to have a chance to get him will probably take him.”

The Jets have opened the season 0-6 under beleaguered second-year coach Adam Gase; they are the league’s only winless team entering Sunday’s game against the Buffalo Bills.

Sam Darnold, the No. 3 overall pick in the 2018 draft, posted just a 70.7 passer rating with a poor completion percentage (59.4 percent) and just three touchdowns with four interceptions through four games before missing the last two with a shoulder injury.

“I don’t know whether Sam is still going to be there,” Namath said. “If the Jets are in that undesirable position…of being in last place, but being in the most desirable position to have the first pick, I don’t know what they’re gonna do. They could maybe get other draft choices. Do they still believe in Sam? I don’t look at the video of the game and the replays the way the coaches do, so they’ll make that decision.

–“If it did end up being our guys, our team, (GM) Joe Douglas, who’s there now, they’ll make that decision. Because they probably can…there’s a lot of other teams, there’s 31 other teams and Sam Darnold can play for several of them. So he may be somewhere else starting if that scenario did unfold. If the Jets had that No. 1 pick they might do something with Sam to get another high draft choice or two or three. So I don’t know.”

Asked earlier in the interview about the hot-seated Gase, Broadway Joe said he believes the Jets’ poor record is more a reflection of the players.

“He’s young yet,” Namath said of the 42-year-old Gase. “Different coaches go about their work in different ways, but ultimately it comes down to the execution on the field.

“The Jets have had a tough time and being such a fan myself of the Jets, I just have a tough time talking about them. I’d like to say something positive, and I just know that they’re trying hard. I know that coach Gase is trying hard. The players I hope are still trying hard. It’s frustrating. The fans, as you know, it’s not fun to not have a good team, not just one season, but year in and year out. We haven’t been to the playoffs very often since we got (to the Super Bowl) the first time.”

image.gif

Joe Namath Starring in: 

B3D86710-C8CC-4CDA-969E-C2E3619C587F.jpeg

11 hours ago, GreenFish said:

I didn’t not realize Gase was only 42. He ruined any chance of having another shot at HC. He should have taking time off from being a HC and learned from his mistakes. He had plenty of time to get the top spot again.

Yep he's only 42 and our QB is only 23. But we should fire and trade everybody because we didn't make it to a Super Bowl in a season and a half! That sure is the Jets fans and New York media for ya!!

13 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Great Player no doubt. But, I hate him. If Jet fans only realized what his on-field arrogance cost the Jets, no one would be a Namath fan. Every game should have looked like Superbowl III --  Heavy run; no high risk passes; lean on the D. Instead, he lost as many games as he won with his arm. The guy was never a leader. Always in it for himself. 

The guy wouldn't have been cleared to play a game in today's NFL.  Namath had some huge issues including drinking himself close to death.  I have no doubt some of it was self medicating.  I suspect he never got out of bed without severe pain one time when he suited up for the Jets.  The guy was a lot of things that weren't pretty.  He embraced New York and he was an absolute warrior.  Opposing teams tried to kill him when they got to him.  He took a hit from Ben Davidson that would put most of the QB's that played for the Jets into retirement.  

The guy carried the league into the NFL.  He was one of the pioneers of the modern NFL passing game.  He loved New York.  He was a very flawed man.  Hating him is way over the top.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

NY Jets fans always need to hate or blame someone for all thats wrong here. 

Fans that hate Joe Namath couldn't shine his shoes. 

Joe Namath isn't to blame. 

Joe Namath was incredibly selfish with his play & the only reason we won the Super Bowl was because early in that season after throwing numerous interceptions that forced the defense back onto the field Gerry Philbin & his buddies had a coming to Jesus talk with Namath & told him to CUT THE SH*T and play within the program. That's a fact & Namath had to be reigned in because he was wreckless with the ball to the detriment of the team. 

None of this matters if GASE is still the coach.  We have this dysfunctional organization because we're owned by a couple of spoiled little rich kids, who wanted an NFL toy. If someone doesn't get to them, and keep pounding the idea of a President of Football Operations, and leave what's his name (Hymie) to the financials, then this org is doomed to continue on it's path for years and years to come. If they are not going to hire a Gil Brandt (type), not saying him, to run this org, then JD need to have full control of this team, and no more Gase reporting to CJ. This way we can know if JD can be the man.

29 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The guy wouldn't have been cleared to play a game in today's NFL.  Namath had some huge issues including drinking himself close to death.  I have no doubt some of it was self medicating.  I suspect he never got out of bed without severe pain one time when he suited up for the Jets.  The guy was a lot of things that weren't pretty.  He embraced New York and he was an absolute warrior.  Opposing teams tried to kill him when they got to him.  He took a hit from Ben Davidson that would put most of the QB's that played for the Jets into retirement.  

The guy carried the league into the NFL.  He was one of the pioneers of the modern NFL passing game.  He loved New York.  He was a very flawed man.  Hating him is way over the top.  

This I agree with, hating him? The NFL was a way different game back then, some guys had jobs in the offseason. Take one look at photos of Joe Namath knee scars, dude was tough as nails. QBs today are pussies compared to Joe Namath. That's why Joe got away with his White Shoes & Fur Coats. Defensive players wanted to Kill him & some got the opportunity but none of them thought Namath was soft, that's for damn sure, they all knew Joe was a tough Pennsylvania SOB. 

17 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Joe Namath was incredibly selfish with his play & the only reason we won the Super Bowl was because early in that season after throwing numerous interceptions that forced the defense back onto the field Gerry Philbin & his buddies had a coming to Jesus talk with Namath & told him to CUT THE SH*T and play within the program. That's a fact & Namath had to be reigned in because he was wreckless with the ball to the detriment of the team. 

He did reign in his game but his reputation, release and ability to quick strike teams made the running game work.  How does the fact that he reigned in his game to benefit a championship run make him selfish?  It shows he matured and developed.