Scoop24

Jordan Willis is out

That's exactly what I was thinking. This looks like the kind of trade you do when you're trying to dump a players salary. If we are on the clock in the 7th rd this year and a team wants that pick, a 6th the following year is pretty standard compensation. So why the hell did we trade a player for this? 
So we basically traded a player for the right to move back in the draft an entire year?Wtf
This is short term thinking ... thank God Joe D is a long term strategist.

You simply don't go all in every year.

And no a 6th is not the same as a 7th. No matter what the year.

Adelsus Thomas, Antonio Brown, Tom Brady, Delanie Walker, Antoine Bethea, Tyrod Taylor, Jason Kelce, Alfred Morris ...

6th rnd picks ...
... all in the last 20 yrs.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Adelsus Thomas, Antonio Brown, Tom Brady, Delanie Walker, Antoine Bethea, Tyrod Taylor, Jason Kelce, Alfred Morris ...

6th rnd picks ...

It doesn't matter whether you're talking about the short term or the long term. Over any period it is easier to fool Jets fans than it is to win in the NFL. Douglas just took a player he was going to cut and traded him for a very slightly negative return specifically so that he could turn around and misrepresent it as a very slightly positive one. It shouldn't come as any surprise to anyone that we wound up with yet another nuclear cockroach in the proud tradition of Terry Bradway, Mike Tannenbaum, and Mike Maccagnan, but it will. Presumably in about five years.

• Thumb Down 1

Wrong.

We got value for nothing and trimmed some cap.

It doesn't matter whether you're talking about the short term or the long term. Over any period it is easier to fool Jets fans than it is to win in the NFL. Douglas just took a player he was going to cut and traded him for a very slightly negative return specifically so that he could turn around and misrepresent it as a very slightly positive one. It shouldn't come as any surprise to anyone that we wound up with yet another nuclear cockroach in the proud tradition of Terry Bradway, Mike Tannenbaum, and Mike Maccagnan, but it will. Presumably in about five years.

there is no value in stock piling late draft picks when we never get any players from there that work out. We trade players with some value essentially for players with  no value.

but but joe is in charge now it will be different-oh really and I dont need to wait years to know most of these guys suck

Joe will get 1 to 2 productive players out of his draft(IF and a big IF Mims can play and proves he is not stephen hill or devin smith

Round 1, pick 11: Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville--good pick any 5 year old could have made 

Round 2, pick 59: Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor- have to hope he does not suck like Hill or Smith-so far has added no value-he has half a season to show he is not a scrub-for now we can say the book is open at best.

Round 3, pick 68: Ashtyn Davis, S, California-scrub

Round 3, pick 79: Jabari Zuniga, DE, Florida-scrub

Round 4, pick 120: Lamical Perine, RB, Florida-scrub cant pick up blitz or catch

Round 4, pick 125: James Morgan, QB, Florida International-compete waste of a pick-jets would rather play flacco over him and now they want to draft TL

Round 4, pick 129 (from Patriots via Ravens): Cameron Clark, OT, UNC Charlotte -scrib

Round 5, pick 158: Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia-scrub

Round 6, pick 191: Braden Mann, P, Texas A&M--we talking punters ? in  my best iverson voice-punters? he is fair-claim to fame he can tackle lol

p.s  if your roster  is one of the worst in the league it should be VERY easy to draft picks to play. My dad and I used to talk about this all of the time. Jets would draft guys that could not break through and start and the jets would say it is because of the in house talent being so good(at the same time the actual team was terrible)

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, section314 said:

You are really doing yourself a career disservice by not getting an NFL scouting or GM job ASAP. The fact that you are able to tell that 6 22 year old kids suck without ever playing a game is truly remarkable. I guess some people are just blessed.

thanks I do have remarkable skills . I am sure you are one of the guys that said hackenberg was a great pick-do you still need time for him to develop?

I am sure perine is the next barry sanders-we all are being deceived by what we have seen when he has been on the field

you tell me one guy besides after round two that is going to be a very productive player for us-

19 minutes ago, kmnj said:

I am sure perine is the next barry sanders-we all are being deceived by what we have seen when he has been on the field

you tell me one guy besides after round two that is going to be a very productive player for us-

That is my point.....no one can until these guys play a bunch. Me trying to say a guy is going to be really good would be just as crazy as you saying they all stink.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

That is my point.....no one can until these guys play a bunch. Me trying to say a guy is going to be really good would be just as crazy as you saying they all stink.

Teams have to make that evaluation when they are drafted so why not the fans, or at least the fans that have balls.

It is a worthless observation to only make a judgment after the fact, after we know if a guy is good or bad because teams do not get that luxury.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Teams have to make that evaluation when they are drafted so why not the fans, or at least the fans that have balls.

It is a worthless observation to only make a judgment after the fact, after we know if a guy is good or bad because teams do not get that luxury.

This is so crazy that I don't even know where to start. We had no preseason, and 75% of these guys haven't played a down. Neither you, nor I, or anybody "with balls" were at practice to see these guys in action. But to play the game of idiots, I think that based on what I saw of Morgan, Clark, Zunigna and Hall in college, I think all of them will be multiple all pros. Satisfied?

1 hour ago, section314 said:

This is so crazy that I don't even know where to start. We had no preseason, and 75% of these guys haven't played a down. Neither you, nor I, or anybody "with balls" were at practice to see these guys in action. But to play the game of idiots, I think that based on what I saw of Morgan, Clark, Zunigna and Hall in college, I think all of them will be multiple all pros. Satisfied?

u are crazy I am sure you were cheering the hackenburg pick

none of those four will be all pros and the Morgan was a terrible  pick considering our needs-at best he will be a back up down the road if he stays on the roster-jets will roll out sam or tl next year-you dont use a 4th round pick for a guy that has no hope of being a starter when you have needs all over the place

Joe D is moving these 7th round to 6th in 2022 because you can only have so many late round picks to cull through in camp & preseason. 

Unlike us, he's already determined this is a 3 year rebuild that began the moment he was able to cut Trumaine Johnson, perform his 1st draft & follow it up with cutting Le'veon Bell. 2 ridiculous albatross contracts with guys that were never going to be part of our turnaround.

They'll find some guys late in 2021, cut some guys they took late & try again in 2022 with a bunch of 6th rounders. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Scoop24 said:
Getting anything for him is kinda impressive.

A mid-late 6th in 2022 is less valuable than an early 7th in 2021, I'd say.  Kind of strange but whatever.  Burn it all down!

EDIT:  Then again the 2021 draft has a lot more uncertainty than 2022 because of the limited number of college games.  So I guess I can see the merit there. 

3 pages on a guy I had no idea was on the team lol 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A mid-late 6th in 2022 is less valuable than an early 7th in 2021, I'd say.  Kind of strange but whatever.  Burn it all down!

EDIT:  Then again the 2021 draft has a lot more uncertainty than 2022 because of the limited number of college games.  So I guess I can see the merit there. 

Any decrease in value to the 2021 pick due to uncertainty in scouting a small sample is way more than offset by the increased time value of a year under contract in a season when the cap is going down. You can't spin this. The great wide hope is la cucaracha del mundo.

On 10/21/2020 at 6:02 PM, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

The discount rate for future picks is about a round a year. The difference between the presumably good 49ers likely low sixth rounder and the presumably bad Jets likely high seventh rounder is about a handful of slots.

Douglas might be a complete idiot.

Yeah, that is EXACTLY what you should get from this trade.

On 10/21/2020 at 4:48 PM, Beaver said:

Will be the best player on the Jets 

Ring of Honor candidate after he gets cut in 2027 and never plays in the NFL again.

Is this trade official yet 

the Jets have not said anything 

does he still count on our roster on Sunday ? 

He wants to play one more game for the NY Jets so he appreciates the trade more when it finally happens. 

On 10/22/2020 at 11:28 AM, Beerfish said:

It is a worthless observation to only make a judgment after the fact, after we know if a guy is good or bad because teams do not get that luxury

Nobody would do that on a message board

On 10/22/2020 at 5:40 AM, Dunnie said:

6th rnd picks ...

No one said a 6th is the same as a 7th. The point that was made was that if someone wanted to trade for your 7th round pick this year, adequate compensation would be a 6th the following year. You with me so far? 

A player and a 7th makes no sense. I have no problem with a long game, the point is this was simply just a stupid trade that makes no sense unless you were intentionally giving away extra compensation because the other team was taking a horrible contract off your hands. Obv that wasnt the case here.

Also, listing off random successful 6th rd picks is completely irrelevant to my original point. 

On 10/22/2020 at 1:51 AM, kelticwizard said:

True, the 2001 7th round pick and 2022 6th round pick are roughly equivalent, so basically Jordan Willis got traded for nothing.  

@Dunnie THIS, If you needed further clarification.

A 6th and a 7th are not the same value, IN THE SAME YEAR. But if you're talking a 7th this year and a 6th two years from now, that is completely different and in that scenario a 6th absolutely does equal a 7th. 

The player was worth 0 to us this year and allowed us to get greater value in the draft and dump salary ... it's not a tough concept.

No one said a 6th is the same as a 7th. The point that was made was that if someone wanted to trade for your 7th round pick this year, adequate compensation would be a 6th the following year. You with me so far? 
A player and a 7th makes no sense. I have no problem with a long game, the point is this was simply just a stupid trade that makes no sense unless you were intentionally giving away extra compensation because the other team was taking a horrible contract off your hands. Obv that wasnt the case here.
Also, listing off random successful 6th rd picks is completely irrelevant to my original point. 

Its is not different if you know your rebuild is over multiple years.

[mention=28731]Dunnie[/mention] THIS, If you needed further clarification.
A 6th and a 7th are not the same value, IN THE SAME YEAR. But if you're talking a 7th this year and a 6th two years from now, that is completely different and in that scenario a 6th absolutely does equal a 7th.