Sign in to follow this  
AL047

It's getting worse and worse for the Jets!!!!

14 hours ago, AL047 said:

Now a few people are stepping in telling or advising Trevor Lawrence to stay in Clemson and not to be the Jets #! pick or QB. 

This was going to happen eventually because people are seeing that this team has NO OFFENSE!!!!

There is no head coach to lead this team that can convince everyone about this team's future!!!!

Now Trevor Lawrence doesn't want to go to the Jets!!!!

IMG_2391.JPG

Thia guy is probably voting in a few weeks. ūü§™

15 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Those words aren't real... but the possibility that he will refuse to play for the Jets is absolutely real.

Those words are fake and the possibility of him not playing here is real but I highly doubt he stays in school. I also doubt he snubs the Jets. I know Manning did it but how often has that happened? Never. Manning is the only time I can think of. 

The Jets need to do 3 things that would actually make him want to come here. 

1. Get healthy. The Jets need to get Becton and Mims on the field. Perriman just came back and showed he can make plays. He played well against the Dolphins and got open regularly. If Mims ends up being legit, that changes everything. We already know Crowder is a solid slot receiver. 

2. Fire Gase. Clearly the Jets need to show Lawrence that Gase won't be here to ruin him like he did Darnold. Glenn N. brought this up in his latest JetNation podcast- maybe they bring in 3 candidates and say ok Trevor, pick one, who would you prefer, thats how badly we want you here. I mean, thats extreme but the bottom line is the Jets need to get rid of Gase and get someone who would work well with a player like Lawrence. Obviously Eric Bieniemy makes sense if he becomes available. 

3. Begin the offensive rebuild before the draft. Bring in a WR or an O-lineman or whatever help you feel the offense needs before the draft to show Lawrence that the 2021 Offense, under a new coach, and a new QB (Lawrence) will be much better. In general, don't be too cheap in FA b/c you need to field a decent team and a lot of FAs will need to be signed. 

And of course you need to draft with Lawrence in mind. Continue drafting O-linemen and WRs. Bring in a talented RB. I would not be against bringing in his buddy Etienne, depending on where he was available (not in Rd. 1). 

In a way, most of this stuff you should be doing regardless of whether or not you plan to draft Lawrence. So its not like you are going too far out of your way as a GM for a prospect. 

• Upvote 1

Trevor obviously didn’t say that out loud but he probably finishes his prayers with it each and every night.,

13 hours ago, Tezza said:

What is he going to do when we get the first overall pick next year?

..he won't care because he'll already be in the NFL. i'm not sure with which team though   :unsure:

p.s. i hope he'll just have completed his rookie season with us   ;)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Those words are fake and the possibility of him not playing here is real but I highly doubt he stays in school. I also doubt he snubs the Jets. I know Manning did it but how often has that happened? Never. Manning is the only time I can think of. 

I believe both Manning brothers, and John Elway.  Elway had leverage as the Yankees were interested in him playing in their minor league farm system.

56 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Trevor obviously didn’t say that out loud but he probably finishes his prayers with it each and every night.,

dear Crusher, hi !  8::  

if i may, "..he finishes his prayers with it each and every  morning & night. "   ;) 

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

The Jets need to do 3 things that would actually make him want to come here. 

1. Get healthy. The Jets need to get Becton and Mims on the field. Perriman just came back and showed he can make plays. He played well against the Dolphins and got open regularly. If Mims ends up being legit, that changes everything. We already know Crowder is a solid slot receiver. 

2. Fire Gase. Clearly the Jets need to show Lawrence that Gase won't be here to ruin him like he did Darnold. Glenn N. brought this up in his latest JetNation podcast- maybe they bring in 3 candidates and say ok Trevor, pick one, who would you prefer, thats how badly we want you here. I mean, thats extreme but the bottom line is the Jets need to get rid of Gase and get someone who would work well with a player like Lawrence. Obviously Eric Bieniemy makes sense if he becomes available. 

3. Begin the offensive rebuild before the draft. Bring in a WR or an O-lineman or whatever help you feel the offense needs before the draft to show Lawrence that the 2021 Offense, under a new coach, and a new QB (Lawrence) will be much better. In general, don't be too cheap in FA b/c you need to field a decent team and a lot of FAs will need to be signed. 

And of course you need to draft with Lawrence in mind. Continue drafting O-linemen and WRs. Bring in a talented RB. I would not be against bringing in his buddy Etienne, depending on where he was available (not in Rd. 1). 

In a way, most of this stuff you should be doing regardless of whether or not you plan to draft Lawrence. So its not like you are going too far out of your way as a GM for a prospect. 

You must be young.

Elway did it.  So did Bo Jackson.

29 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

You must be young.

Elway did it.  So did Bo Jackson.

Elway had a backup plan in baseball. As Connor Hughes said on his podcast, even the Eli situation isn't the same. Eli didn't want to play for the Chargers because back then we didn't have a rookie pay scale and draft picks negotiated directly with the teams that drafted them. Archie and Eli felt that the Chargers couldn't pay them what they felt he deserved because they were notoriously cheap owners. This played out with Rivers because he had to hold out more than half of the preseason in order to get what he deserved and that is why they started off the season with Brees as the starter. 

So in the last 40 years we have basically 3 examples of players doing this to teams - Elway had baseball as leverage, Eli only did it because he wanted to get paid and I guess you can throw in Peyton going back to school but again, with the $30M guaranteed contracts given out to players now, there is no way Lawrence goes back to school next year. 

He'll be drafted and play for whoever has the #1 pick....just like every other #1 QB in the last 40 years outside of the 3 above. 

1 hour ago, JetFreak89 said:

Elway had a backup plan in baseball. As Connor Hughes said on his podcast, even the Eli situation isn't the same. Eli didn't want to play for the Chargers because back then we didn't have a rookie pay scale and draft picks negotiated directly with the teams that drafted them. Archie and Eli felt that the Chargers couldn't pay them what they felt he deserved because they were notoriously cheap owners. This played out with Rivers because he had to hold out more than half of the preseason in order to get what he deserved and that is why they started off the season with Brees as the starter. 

So in the last 40 years we have basically 3 examples of players doing this to teams - Elway had baseball as leverage, Eli only did it because he wanted to get paid and I guess you can throw in Peyton going back to school but again, with the $30M guaranteed contracts given out to players now, there is no way Lawrence goes back to school next year. 

He'll be drafted and play for whoever has the #1 pick....just like every other #1 QB in the last 40 years outside of the 3 above. 

Peyton Manning did it to the Jets too.  We all seem to forget that from time to time.

You're underestimating the leverage Lawrence has.  I decided to look at the #1 overall picks that were QBs since Elway.  Not many were as highly touted a prospect as Lawrence AND the #1 pick belonged to such an awful franchise in total disarray.  See for yourself.

Elway (*)

Vinny T.

Aikman

George

Bledsoe

P. Manning (*)

Couch

Vick

David Carr (bet he wishes he did)

Palmer

E. Manning (*)

A. Smith

Jamarcus

Stafford (bet he wishes he did too)

Bradford

Cam

Luck

Winston

Goff

Mayfield

Murray

Burrow

If the Jets have the number 1 pick, I would be surprised if Trevor Lawrence elected to stay in school for another year.  Just too risky.  A serious injury could cost him tens of millions of dollars at the very  least.  Even though the Jets have been terrible and the organization sucks, he would still be playing in the Country's biggest market.  Eli Manning has made more money so far than anyone else who played in the NFL.  And that doesn't include endorsements.  If the Jets draft him, and he wants to become a multi-millionaire, he really has not choice.  If Burrows could go to the Bengals, Trevor can come here.