Ian Fleming’s Feelings on the 2020 Jets

37 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

How's the whiskey tonight ?emoji8.png

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

I’m reflecting on this season with a snifter of Sambuca.

I was cautiously optimistic, but unenthusiastic at the start. But, the disaster this first quarter of the season has left me indifferent. My childhood excitement endured the decline of the Coslet regime, the interrupted promise of Carol, the disastrous Kotite years.

I thought the organization emerged into success during relatively prosperous 1997-2012 era. We will recapture that time. The question is of course, when?

I’m also thinking of all the Jets fans who came before us who waited for their time to experience the extacy of a Super Bowl triumph; but, alas, never did. We are their legacy, the ownership of course has not done them justice. But, I like to think we’ve proven to have matched our fan forefathers’ passion. A drink to their memory

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

James Bond literature?  They were pretty cool stories but not exactly what’s considered literature.

Fleming’s crisp yet descriptive writing style and ability to weave current events/ culture into his fiction was unique. That and the relatively recent declassification of his WWII service record shows that much of his work was influenced by his and his close associates’ military/ intelligence experience.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Ian Fleming said:

Fleming’s crisp yet descriptive writing style and ability to weave current events/ culture into his fiction was unique. That and the relatively recent declassification of his WWII service record shows that much of his work was influenced by his and his close associates’ military/ intelligence experience.

are you sure you don't have him mixed up with john le carre?  i know about ian flemings role in the intelligence services. roald dahl also served with him as well as george smiley.  i've read all of his books (the ones written by him).  they are good tales but i still wouldn't calssify them as literature.

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

are you sure you don't have him mixed up with john le carre?  i know about ian flemings role in the intelligence services. roald dahl also served with him as well as george smiley.  i've read all of his books (the ones written by him).  they are good tales but i still wouldn't calssify them as literature.

I think you’ve confused Smiley with his creator, L Carre. I’m a fan of 1960s-1980’s Le Carre; he just writes from the perspective of individuals caught up in the business. 

But, I think Fleming’s best judges are his successors. Fleming was selected as one of the top 50 greatest British writers of the 20th Century about 5 years ago by esteemed writers, no small prize.

Fleming’s books introduced many to cuisine, personality assessments, foreign languages and unique perspectives on life. 

1 hour ago, Ian Fleming said:

I think you’ve confused Smiley with his creator, L Carre. I’m a fan of 1960s-1980’s Le Carre; he just writes from the perspective of individuals caught up in the business. 

But, I think Fleming’s best judges are his successors. Fleming was selected as one of the top 50 greatest British writers of the 20th Century about 5 years ago by esteemed writers, no small prize.

Fleming’s books introduced many to cuisine, personality assessments, foreign languages and unique perspectives on life. 

You are right but I confused smiley with Stevenson. Another guy who seems to have some insider info is Frederick Forsythe. I’ve read quite a few of his novels besides day of the jackal and always wonder if the event was true to some degree.