Think of the possibilities

genot

12 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

If the Jets pass on Lawrence, then I walk into Florham Park the next day with enough C4 strapped to my chest to blow a hole in the ozone layer.

The sooner people realize that there's no such thing as a can't miss prospect,the more they'll understand the value in accumulating picks to fill a variety of needs on both sides of the ball.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I don't think anyone is saying that Trevor Lawrence alone is going to turn this team into an immediate contender. Yes, we'll still have holes all over the roster, but this is a QB- driven league. It starts with the QB -- the hardest position to fill -- and when you have a shot at a potential generational franchise QB, you don't pass up on it.

For those who want to say there are no guarantees and highly touted QBs bust all the time, well that cuts both ways. There's no guarantee that the next guy is gonna be any good either. You keep taking QBs until you KNOW you have one.

I'd rather let the team build up around the QB, then build the team first just to watch all that talent go to waste because we still can't find a QB, a la 2009-2010.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

If the Jets pass on Lawrence, then I walk into Florham Park the next day with enough C4 strapped to my chest to blow a hole in the ozone layer.

With all due respect my friend, you said the same thing about Kirk Cousins and Bell. 

Fields + picks is a legit option 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

No way in hell you pass on a prospect like Lawrence and risk remaining stuck in QB limbo for the foreseeable future.

That’s just dumb

I feel like this is your trademark post. “No way in hell they do X”

yet they often do. Lawrence isn’t so much better than fields that ignore a call

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

With all due respect my friend, you said the same thing about Kirk Cousins and Bell. 

Fields + picks is a legit option 

To some extent 

I certainly wanted both Cousins and Bell, but with Cousins it was mainly due to me believing that we were going to be stuck in QB limbo before the trade up with the Colts.

With Bell...well...I thought we needed a legit weapon to couple with Darnold. And the FA class at WR and TE was hot doo-doo. It was basically Bell or nothing. I never could’ve dreamed that Gase would be so utterly inept in how to use him. It’s true that Bell has lost a step since he was in Pittsburgh, but the guy should still be a Top 15 back with a competent coach and supporting cast.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

To some extent 

I certainly wanted both Cousins and Bell, but with Cousins it was mainly due to me believing that we were going to be stuck in QB limbo before the trade up with the Colts.

With Bell...well...I thought we needed a legit weapon to couple with Darnold. And the FA class at WR and TE was hot doo-doo. It was basically Bell or nothing. I never could’ve dreamed that Gase would be so utterly inept in how to use him. It’s true that Bell has lost a step since he was in Pittsburgh, but the guy should still be a Top 15 back with a competent coach and supporting cast.

I get it, I don’t often disagree with your line of thinking. I just think there’s less tunnel vision in the oval office. For example, I can guarantee you nobody involved in the Jets draft will say no way in hell we pass on Lawrence. He may be the preferable option but they’ll always consider what avenues are available.

We’re gonna take a QB. Most likely Lawrence. New HC and darnold’s contract situation necessitates it  

But your post about our situation tells me that you’re underestimating how many holes this roster has. If we could move back one spot even, take Justin fields and get more top 50 picks, 100% that should on the table to consider

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

After drafting a USC quarterback with a top 5 pick for the second time in 9 years the Jets should consider following up by passing on Trevor Lawrence for a Ohio State quarterback.

Quick name the last good quarterback from thee Ohio State University to end up a good NFL quarterback.

Most of the starting quarterbacks today come from places that don’t fit the bill of “quarterback factory”. Assess the player not the helmet. Cmon man. Smh. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Don't see it.  Easy to execute from the outside looking in, but if it's your career on the line, I'm not sure you can pass on Lawrence, and have that albatross around your neck.  I think, ultimately, the person making the decision doesn't take the chance of skipping out on the "generational talent" and being out of work and remembered for nothing more than that.

I'm not saying I think JD is going to do this, I'm saying I would.  

53 minutes ago, genot said:

The sooner people realize that there's no such thing as a can't miss prospect,the more they'll understand the value in accumulating picks to fill a variety of needs on both sides of the ball.

There's plenty of other ways to accumulate picks.  Douglas managed to trade down multiple times last draft.  He's already, of course, added picks with the Leonard Williams and Jamal Adams trades.  I'm sure at least one more trade is coming before the deadline, plus more attempts to trade down in future drafts.

Granted, you'll never get nearly as much out of a trade as you can with the # 1 pick in a strong QB class.  But it's also possible we will be able to eat our cake and have it too:  Grab a solid QB prospect at the top PLUS fill a lot of our needs.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, genot said:

If we have the first pick, had the opportunity to trade down with Atlanta to get an additional 2nd,3rd, in 2021, and a 1st in 22, plus Calvin Ridley, would you do it. I certainly would. We would literally be able to fill alot of our holes in this years draft,with top round talent considering trade ups,and our draft capital in 2022. 

If TL is in the same category of Manning/Brady, then you stay put even if offered 3 first rounders. 

Ask the Chiefs if they would trade Mahomes for 3 or even 4 first rounders. No one in their right mind would do that. 

i would take my chances as is and trade Sam instead. We already have plenty of draft capital over the next two drafts to inject youth in an already young football team. 

3 hours ago, flgreen said:

Everbody seems to be forgetting about Fields.  No, he doesn't appear to be on the level of Lawrence, but he looks like an excellent prospect. IMO if the Jets only have 1-2 wins, means Darnold is done in NY

Winston?  Oh man, that would be fun.  At one time I thought Winston was going to be the next great one.  Like Mayfield he just doesn't seem to be able to get the stupid out of him.

I'm not forgetting Fields.  I love his game.  I think he's a better passer than Lawrence.  I'm very excited to see him this year. I think we have two incredible QB prospects expected to come out and if both come out, it's my favorite QB class since Watson/Mahomes.That's why I'm saying as of right now, it it were my decisions, I would trade out.  The way opportunity to build your team is too great IMO but also have reservations about Lawrence, I dont think he's generational, so it's easier for me to say that right now.

Im very curious about Winston life after Brees/Payton.  Unlike Mayfield, Winston can do it all with his arm, the picks are just insane.  But if by osmosis or he learned something to cut it down behind Brees/Payton, he could be one of the best QB's in the league.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Jets cannot afford to pass on Lawrence. Darnold rookie contract is coming to an end, and the Jets are in need of a major overhaul. Trading Darnold is the right move for the Jets, and perhaps the right move for Darnold's career in the NFL.

Trade Sam to an NFC team for a low 1st or high 2nd rd pick, and wish him well. 

You keep trying until you hit with QB’s. 

even if you messed your own shot up with this one.(in Darnold’s case) It’s best to press the eject button on the entire thing. Whatever gets you a productive QB is what matters. So while that includes getting pieces around the QB, it also means give up on one making the same mistakes he’s been making since year 1. It could probably work elsewhere for Darnold with a clean slate, but here, now?

It’s not happening.

In the offseason it was lets get our guy some weapons and upgrade our offensive line. Now,3 games into his 3rd season, it's let get rid of Sam. We upgraded at LT. No other player on that line has been upgraded. Additionally, without Anderson,we're significantly weaker at WR.Is Darnold failing even with a stronger supporting cast. No.

5 hours ago, Untouchable said:

The Jets take Lawrence and they still have 4 other picks in the Top 100 alone. 5 in the Top 105.

Not to mention the copious amounts of cap space.

And then they have another two 1st rounders next year...

No way in hell you pass on a prospect like Lawrence and risk remaining stuck in QB limbo for the foreseeable future.

That’s just dumb

With respect, they're are some people,(like me), who think Darnold with a quality supporting cast and HC can take us to whe're we want to be.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, JiF said:

Right now, I'm leaning in this direction.

The haul would be MASSIVE.  If executed properly, the best influx of young talent we've ever had on this team instead of putting it all on the shoulders of a kid.

Plus; you could still be in play for Fields/Lance if that was your preference or yeah, float something for Ryan or sign Jameis Winston, etc.

There are good arguments for this. I think Lawrence would be a good fit for Atlanta. You know the whole local boy and all.  The thing is the jets still have to get there and they need to get the first pick and presumably Lawrence in their pocket. Maybe Lawrence doesn’t declare for the draft or pulls an Elway or gets injured. And then it will also take a decision on darnold. Is he good enough to keep or should they just move on?

17 hours ago, Untouchable said:

The Jets take Lawrence and they still have 4 other picks in the Top 100 alone. 5 in the Top 105.

Not to mention the copious amounts of cap space.

And then they have another two 1st rounders next year...

That’s just dumb

You’re also likely to get, at worst, a 2nd for Sam.

So now you’re looking at 4 in top 50 (possibly top 33) Five in the top 65.

1 overall, Seattles 1, 33 overall, Sam, 65 overall!

Now, trade Q for a late 1, spend cap money on strategic vets and you’ve rebuilt your team in one off-season.

22 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Sam isn't injury prone. He got sick last year and didn't miss a game after that and got rag dolled on a sack. Honestly, I don't know why a sack like that didn't draw a flag. It was excessive. 

ABSOLUTELY! I said it when he was WHIPPED around onto his shoulder! The egregious nature in which established QBs are protected & a guy like Darnold can be abused with no penalty is turning me off from this league entirely. Also where was Adam Gase protesting with the refs on that play? Bill Parcells would have been spitting fire. 

• Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, jetophile said:

Possibilities, nah. I'm thinking of the pastabilities. I'm paisan and I'm hungry.

Would you rather have a pan on the table of lasagna,(TL), or a table loaded with ravioli,sausage and peppers, eggplant,and a side of cheeses and desert. (Trade down)

• Upvote 1

On 10/22/2020 at 6:50 AM, JiF said:

Right now, I'm leaning in this direction.

The haul would be MASSIVE.  If executed properly, the best influx of young talent we've ever had on this team instead of putting it all on the shoulders of a kid.

Plus; you could still be in play for Fields/Lance if that was your preference or yeah, float something for Ryan or sign Jameis Winston, etc.

good headline

JiveAss Winston Saves Jet Fans form Miserable FLaccid Johnsons