Adam Gase Should Never Have Been a Head Coach in the NFL

My drawing of Adam Gase as a zombie.

Adam Gase Ambles Onward, Unkillable

By Chris Thompson

The New York Jets lost again on Sunday, a humiliating 24-0 shutout at the hands of the Dolphins, who are themselves not much better than ho-hum. I woke up this morning quite certain that I would read about the overnight firing of head coach Adam Gase, who has deserved to be fired for very nearly as long as he has had this particular job. It is now Monday afternoon and there is no firing in sight. Every week the Jets hit some new low, and every week Gase climbs back atop the throne of crap at the head of this crap football operation like nothing happened.

The injustice of it is staggering. I demand a world in which there are consequences for this level of incompetence!

After falling to 0-6 with a 24-0 loss to the Dolphins on Sunday, the Jets have been outscored 185-75 so far this season. Their -110 point differential is by far the worst in the NFL, and it is equal to the combined point differentials of the second-worst and third-worst teams. (The Jaguars’ point differential is -56 and the Football Team’s point differential is -54.)

Project their current -110 point differential over a 16-game season, and the Jets would get outscored by 293 points this season. That would be the worst point differential in NFL history, topping the current record of -287 by the 1976 Buccaneers.

Pro Football Talk

Is Gase at least suffering the constant bellyache of fear that he will be fired at any moment? He is not.

How is it that you and I must confront the daily anxiety of job insecurity while the world’s worst football coach enjoys the peace of stability? For one thing, the presumptive interim in a post-Gase world would be the vile Gregg Williams, and perhaps even the Jets view that outcome as too grim to face. It’s also possible that the team is looking ahead to the 2021 draft and views the rewards for sucking mondo ass as more significant than the potential rewards for having an even semi-competent head coach over the remainder of this lost season. Or, most likely of all, owner Woody Johnson is too distracted by his idiot pal’s presidential re-election campaign to give a rip about his putrefying professional football organization. It’s an ideal confluence of circumstances for a person with zero redeeming qualities as a head football coach to collect as many unearned paychecks as possible, and Gase, via whatever unholy pact, is that person.

Does this blog mostly exist so that I can show you my doodle of Gase as a zombie? Sure, yes. Still! This damn Adam Gase quite simply cannot be destroyed, and I am sick of it.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

7 minutes ago, Ian Fleming said:

Somebody here previously posted an article dated after Gase’s hire predicting disaster for Darnold because Gase’s offensive strategies were not compatible with Darnold’s skills and would ultimately damage Darnold’s development.

That report was eerily prescient.

Must've missed that. Would love to see/read it.

• Upvote 3

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

You'd likely find it ironic then that his OC resume is actually excellent and his HC record abysmal.

I'm not talking about his record-  no HC could win with this Maccagnan mess in such an injured state and without a quarterback.

I'm talking about his actions.  He's cleaned house and is executing the rebuild very efficiently and is serving the purpose of taking all hits so the players don't have to.  He's managing the media, he's keeping the locker room together.  Just like he did last year.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 2
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This is a very good analytical critique of his offense that jives with what my eyes tell me :

https://elitesportsny.com/2020/09/17/adam-gases-antiquated-offense-is-setting-up-the-new-york-jets-for-failure/

Really interesting.  I'm trying to translate this into how Peyton Manning succeeded with Gase...

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Ian Fleming said:

Somebody here previously posted an article dated after Gase’s hire predicting disaster for Darnold because Gase’s offensive strategies were not compatible with Darnold’s skills and would ultimately damage Darnold’s development.

That report was eerily prescient.

I've been saying the same thing over and over again since Gase was hired. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Really interesting.  I'm trying to translate this into how Peyton Manning succeeded with Gase...

IMO, Peyton Manning's success with Gase is largely irrelevant because he was already a HOF QB before Gase who was always particularly good at diagnosing the defense with his pre-snap reads and getting his offense into the best possible play. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Connor Hughes reported that his guys inside the jets weren’t even giving him a solid answer that Gase would be the HC against the bills for this week on his podcast earlier this week.  

What does this mean?

Once Gase wasn't fired Monday morning, he was always going to coach the Bills game. 

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I'm not talking about his record-  no HC could win with this Maccagnan mess in such an injured state and without a quarterback.

I'm talking about his actions.  He's cleaned house and is executing the rebuild very efficiently and is serving the purpose of taking all hits so the players don't have to.  He's managing the media, he's keeping the locker room together.  Just like he did last year.

SAR I

He's clearly a terrible coach but one thing I'll give you -- he immediately recognized that Maccagnan was incompetent and had him promptly fired. I suppose, despite this 0-6 quagmire he deserves credit for that.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

IMO, Peyton Manning's success with Gase is largely irrelevant because he was already a HOF QB before Gase who was always particularly good at diagnosing the defense with his pre-snap reads and getting his offense into the best possible play. 

It's even more remarkable considering Gase's schemes don't rely on motion pre-snap or otherwise to help the QB with his reads...

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

He's clearly a terrible coach but one thing I'll give you -- he immediately recognized that Maccagnan was incompetent and had him promptly fired. I suppose, despite this 0-6 quagmire he deserves credit for that.

Agreed.  For as terrible as he has been,  he was right about Maccagnan and right now Bell should have never been signed.   

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

What does this mean?

Once Gase wasn't fired Monday morning, he was always going to coach the Bills game. 

I believe it was the episode from Monday morning but being the Jets are so dysfunctional, is it hard to believe that CJ would fire him, on say, a Wednesday?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

the whole locker room thing is very hard to assess.  i don't think i've heard or read any players dissing him about his demeanor or the way he goes about his business but then again we don't see a whole lot of smart play on the field.  about the only people who say things are in complete disarray are the ny sports talking heads.  they don't know for sure.  the jets have been pretty good at controlling the media. if they play like they practice then they are practicing wrong.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

Yeah, I won't be watching that video.  Adam Gase is not a good offensive coordinator but he's a very good head coach.  

SAR I

yeha based on wins he is has definitely not been the absolute worst in the NFL. 

R U drunk? Gase has been terrible. Even with the while lets not count half the games like you did last year, if you count half the games this year he is still worst..

You pay for seats dont you? How can you actually sit in one and think you know Gase is a great coach?

36 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

You pay for seats dont you? How can you actually sit in one and think you know Gase is a great coach?

For a team in this condition that can't win, he's doing all the right things.  Front office moves, roster moves, motivation, keeping the team focused, insulating them from the media, etc.

The guy is an animal.  He is decisive.  He is vicious.  We need his toughness.

SAR I