Vikings trade Ngakoue- Tanking

Was just gonna post. Wow

Ravens acquired DE Yannick Ngakoue from the Vikings in exchange for a 2021 third-round pick and 2022 conditional fifth-round pick.

The Vikings parted with a 2021 second-round pick and 2022 conditional fifth-round pick to acquire Ngakoue from the Jaguars in late August. He signed a one-year, $12 million deal with Minnesota, missing out on almost $6 million he would have made on his franchise tender in Jacksonville. Ngakoue, who had five sacks for the Vikings through six games, joins a Baltimore front seven that has pressured the passer on 10.5 percent of its snaps in 2020 -- the 13th highest rate in the league. Only the Steelers have recorded more sacks this season than the Ravens. Ngakoue could make the Ravens a nightmare for opposing quarterbacks. 

15 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Good deal for the Ravens

This is why teams like the Ravens, Steelers and Patriots, etc. have stayed relevant for such a long time.

Good drafting and personal choices and then feasting on the dregs of the rest of the league when necessary.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

See this is a move I would’ve done for the Jets. Giving up a 3rd round pick for him 

Trading for high priced defensive players in the middle of tanking season would be a very Jets thing to do. Luckily I think Douglas knows better than to trade away picks for good players while tanking. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Trading for high priced defensive players in the middle of tanking season would be a very Jets thing to do. Luckily I think Douglas knows better than to trade away picks for good players while tanking. 

I mean he’s a young guy, could be a building piece is my point 

13 minutes ago, peebag said:

This is why teams like the Ravens, Steelers and Patriots, etc. have stayed relevant for such a long time.

Good drafting and personal choices and then feasting on the dregs of the rest of the league when necessary.

None have ever made deals for NY Jets players either. 

Just now, Rhg1084 said:

I mean he’s a young guy, could be a building piece is my point 

The Vikings are tanking/rebuilding/playing for next year and traded him away for a reason. 

We can always use our extra draft picks to trade for guys like Ngokoue in the offseason. No need to bring him in here now and risk getting hurt and/or risk helping us win meaningless games. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

51 minutes ago, peebag said:

Then if he leaves in FA, they get a 3 back.

Ravens are well run.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

They traded a 2nd 2 months ago to trade him again for a 3rd today? Yuck

Guy wants to play for a winning team, forced his way out of Jax and now Minn. Luckily for Baltimore they're good and he went to college at Maryland, so he shouldn't be a malcontent there.

As for OP, doesn't matter, Vikings aren't getting the #1 pick. They'll win a couple games here and there. The team to be concerned about is Jax, they suck, but Minshew might put together a few good games and steal a couple. Plus, they play the Colts at the end of the year who could easily rest there starters.

I was very displeased with the Vikings when they beat us in the "Kirk Cousins Sweepstakes."  Then we got screwed with the Anthony Barr deal.  I kept rooting for them to lose.  Now that Cousins has turned out to be a disastrously expensive bust, and Barr is out for the season (I believe),  I'm rooting for them to win enough games to be out of the running for Trevor.

On 10/22/2020 at 11:09 AM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Teams trying to make playoff push generally don't make this type of trade. Looks like they will be in the running for Lawrence going forward. 

teams that are 1-5 dont generally think theyre making a playoff push

Every team that makes a trade isnt tanking 

On 10/22/2020 at 12:34 PM, carlito1171 said:

Slightly off topic: If Zimmer gets canned would you hire him for HC?

No, but if he gets canned & we get a new coach, he'd be a great hire for DC, much better than GW & a better track record of consistency than GW. 

Gregg Williams wears out his welcome everywhere. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/22/2020 at 8:35 AM, peebag said:

This is a good but RISKY deal for the Ravens. They are giving up a 3rd round pick for a mid season rental. Now, it makes sense for them because they are a contender and Yannick could be a real difference maker for them. The talent also surpasses the value they are giving up. But again, if they get knocked out of the playoffs early or he is out even a handful of games down the stretch and they don't re-sign him it's flushing a 3rd rounder down the toilet. 

But I agree, THE REASON teams like the Ravens, Pats and Steelers can allow themselves to make risky trades like this is because of good drafting.  

46 minutes ago, PepPep said:

This is a good but RISKY deal for the Ravens. They are giving up a 3rd round pick for a mid season rental. Now, it makes sense for them because they are a contender and Yannick could be a real difference maker for them. The talent also surpasses the value they are giving up. But again, if they get knocked out of the playoffs early or he is out even a handful of games down the stretch and they don't re-sign him it's flushing a 3rd rounder down the toilet. 

But I agree, THE REASON teams like the Ravens, Pats and Steelers can allow themselves to make risky trades like this is because of good drafting.  

But they most likely would receive a 3rd as a compensatory pick in 2022, at least they could recoup something if he walks.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

But they most likely would receive a 3rd as a compensatory pick in 2022, at least they could recoup something if he walks.  

Exactly.  It is a low risk move for the Ravens as long as they manage the comp pick system in the offseason.  And I am not sure any team (excpet maybe NE) works the comp pick system better then the Ravens do.

• Upvote 1