No serious offers for Quinnen as of yet

Rhg1084

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Steelers would never have drafted Quinnen Williams, because they're smart.

No they would have drafted combine, measurable, JN king.  

They'd also have half the number of sacks and half the number of tackles

While playing on a much better DL.

Unless the choice was JA. ?

32 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The lack of quality talent at the top of that draft board does not make Quinnen Williams a good pick by default.

But even having said that....For all of your hate on Josh Allen because the Jaguars' record is bad, he has 12.5 Sacks, 2 FF's, 49 QB Pressures, 17 QB Hurries and 19 QB Knockdowns in 20 games played.  This despite only playing a little over 50 % of the snaps for the team since he arrived. 

He's a situational pass rusher, yes.  But he's a disruptive one.  The best option would have been to trade down.  The 2nd best option would have been Josh Allen.

EDGE guys who specialize in the 3-4 are hard to find.  Macc instead took the 4-3 DT.

Cool story.

So anyway this year Josh Allen has 7 tackles and 2 sacks playing a position conducive to getting sacks.  Hes regressed.

Q has 13 tackles, 2 sacks, and a forced fumble playing out of position on the inside.  Hes improving.

So throw up your pictures of hamburgers and pretend there were obvious better picks but ill stick with reality.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Pac said:

Just imagine where we'd be had we drafted TJ Hackeysack over Q like many were advocating.  In Gases O hed look like Antonio Gates in his prime rather than the very mediocre player he is with the Lions.

Some of us said, and I'll quote myself from prior to that draft, "Another DT? No. **** it, just draft DK Metcalf at 3 and call it a night".

?

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Douglas didn't make the pick.  That part is irrelevant.  

Leonard Williams was a former # 6 overall pick. He got rid of him for a 3 and a 5.  And we very clearly won that trade.

but he was gone in less than a year.  Q we have for a while.  i'd keep him for a second round.  probably get rid of him for top 20 first round pick though.

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

Cool story.

So anyway this year Josh Allen has 7 tackles and 2 sacks playing a position conducive to getting sacks.  Hes regressed.

Q has 13 tackles, 2 sacks, and a forced fumble playing out of position on the inside.  Hes improving.

So throw up your pictures of hamburgers and pretend there were obvious better picks but ill stick with reality.

Cool story.  Josh Allen has nearly 3x as many sacks, nearly 4x as many QB Pressures, 3x as many QB Hurries and 5x as many QB Knockdowns as Quinnen Williams.

You got this one wrong, adding to your extensive list.  

Hamburger gif it is, and is well-deserved @Paccagnan.

food drink mcdonalds GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Beyond the pick, the value to trading him is shedding his $9.5 million cap hit in 2021 and 2022. They can use that to invest in a top FA WR while using the pick they acquire to address the interior of the offensive line. If they do draft Lawrence they actually need to build around him from inside out and I actually think JD knows that.  And even if Darnold plays well down the stretch and they are out of the Lawrence running they still need to build this offensive line and acquire weapons for whoever the QB is going to be. 

• Upvote 1

Maybe I'm in the minority but I think for what QW has shown on the field this year getting a 2nd for him would be a minor miracle. Without factoring draft status if you told me we could only keep one of QW or John Franklyn-Myers it would not be that easy of a decision.  The fact that it's a tough decision tells you how much trade value QW has right now. Myers has 1 sack and 3x as many QB Hits while playing half as much as QW. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Beyond the pick, the value to trading him is shedding his $9.5 million cap hit in 2021 and 2022. 

Yes, we'd shed some cap space (about $5.5M), but we'd also take on a sizable dead cap hit.  According to overthecap.com, it looks to me that that would be $2M+ this season, $3.6M next season, and $5.1M in 2022.  Hence a big reason why teams tend to hold onto their high draft picks for a while, even when they're busts.

Any trade involving QW needs to take that into account, and be a reason for Douglas to ask for more.

I think for a first round pick you trade him, because even if the Jets draft another DT they then have him under a cheap contract for 4 years.  

Because Q received a substantial signing bonus, the cap hit to trade him is quite significant.  

If the Jets plan on being halfway decent in 2021 and 2022, having a decent DT on the roster for his marginal cost is not really a bad deal.   At some point in time JD is going to have to put a halfway decent football team on the field.

But, even though Q is playing better, it was just a terrible pick.  

10 minutes ago, CTM said:

huh? wasn't it well known that he was trading JA, 

Not really, no.  That news took people by surprise.  At least the timing of it, anyways.  And I recall that many at the time still felt Douglas wouldn't move him until the trade deadline, at earliest, unless he got blown away with an offer.

Some assumed the final straw was the Manish hit piece/interview with Adams that came out a day or 2 before the trade was finalized.  In actuality, the trade had been getting hammered out for several days prior, maybe even weeks.  Douglas did a good job of keeping that from reaching the press.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not really, no.  That news took people by surprise.  At least the timing of it, anyways.  And I recall that many at the time still felt Douglas wouldn't move him until the trade deadline, at earliest, unless he got blown away with an offer.

Some assumed the final straw was the Manish hit piece/interview with Adams that came out a day or 2 before the trade was finalized.  In actuality, the trade had been getting hammered out for several days prior, maybe even weeks.  Douglas did a good job of keeping that from reaching the press.

I don't remember being suprised, mouth breathers like Pac sure but I feel like it was widely speculated this was going to happen

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Huh?  Leonard Williams was here 4.5 seasons prior to getting traded.  

I think he was referring to the fact that he would have been a free agent and the Jets would not have re-signed him. He meant Leo would be gone in a year.

14 minutes ago, pointman said:

He was an insta-let down the moment Bosa was drafted. 

One day, a disheveled bound & gagged Macc will be yanked out of trunk a (think Lincoln town car) -- in an abandon industrial building, circa Robocop 1987. 

I'll be sitting at a table, but my face will be shrouded in shadows.. Sipping on scotch while my other hand traces over a table of shiny surgery tools.

"Please, sit. We have a lot to talk about.... I'd like to start with the 2015 draft. How does that sound..." 

• Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, jago said:

i dont get this trade talk, he's an improving young player, good contract, just leave him be, he's not the problem.
forget who and where he was drafted, just let him develop.

He's NOT the problem.  But, he IS an asset. 

If we could exchange him for an asset on the offensive line, say for the draft's best IOL (Creed Humphrey, or Wyatt Davis) I would go for it.  Not only would that be better for us and what we're trying to do (Humphrey compares to a larger Nick Mangold; Davis to a right-side Quinton Nelson), but it may benefit him as well to play on a 4-3.  He could likely get more stats and a bigger payday here in two years.  win win win

17 minutes ago, Paradis said:

One day, a disheveled bound & gagged Macc will be yanked out of trunk a (think Lincoln town car) -- in an abandon industrial building, circa Robocop 1987. 

I'll be sitting at a table, but my face will be shrouded in shadows.. Sipping on scotch while my other hand traces over a table of shiny surgery tools.

"Please, sit. We have a lot to talk about.... I'd like to start with the 2015 draft. How does that sound..." 

You ok? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CTM said:

huh? wasn't it well known that he was trading JA, 

No details of the trade leaked out ahead of time. The team and the compensation were not known. 

Of course people knew Adams was trying to force a trade by his bizarre behavior but nothing came from JD.

Quinnen Williams at #3 overall was a stupid, awful,  ridiculous, moronic selection for the Jets in 2019.

Quinnen Williams is a young player with upside, on his rookie deal, and should be kept for at least 2 more years.

Both of these statements are true.  

• Upvote 3

Who in the Jets defensive front 7 are opposing offenses most worried about?  What players take any degree of attention off Quinnen Williams?

Trading QW now seems like a buy high, sell low move.  I think his best days are ahead of him.  Still underperforming for sure on a defense that is flat out bad, but he looks better than last year and I'm confident he'd be worth more next year than this year.  No reason to trade him right now, especially after subtracting 3 players on the defense this year (Adams, McClendon, Willis) and seeing zero draft contribution on defense (Zuniga hurt all season, Davis playing mostly special teams and doing backflips).

• Post of the Week 1