Possible scenario: Draft Penei Sewell and move Becton to RT

We will win games this year folks, the #1 pick will go to Washington, they are worst than us. 

We need to overhaul the OL and getting Sewell should be our top priority.  We won't develop any QB with our trash OL.  Therefore, playing Becton at RT (played 10 games in college) and drafting Sewell will anchor our line for years to come.   

Again, I am skeptic about Lawrence and Washington will be there before us, mark it! 

https://www.nfl.com/news/scouting-oregon-s-penei-sewell-nfl-s-next-great-left-tackle

I spent a lot of time studying former Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert leading up to the 2020 NFL Draft. While poring over Herbert's tape, I couldn't help but be impressed by his left tackle, Penei Sewell. We call that scan-scouting. Sometimes you notice those flashes of greatness from others while studying a certain prospect, but once you really focus on the player who flashed -- on every single play -- the shine wears off. That wasn't the case with Sewell. After putting him under the microscope, I came away even more impressed! Here are my notes from my initial scouting report on the Oregon junior.

Height, weight: 6-foot-6, 330 pounds (school measurements).

Game tape watched: Auburn (Aug. 31, 2019), Stanford (Sept. 21, 2019), USC (Nov. 2, 2019).

What I liked: Sewell has ideal size, quickness and power for the position. In the passing game, he's quick out of his stance and does a nice job of staying square against his opponent. He's a knee-bender and rarely lunges or loses his balance. He has extremely strong hands to lock on and steer edge rushers. He's very aware versus games/stunts and if he's free, he looks for work (nasty knockdowns).

In the run game, Sewell consistently gets underneath defenders, uproots and moves them off the line of scrimmage. He excels when he's pulling or working up to the second level, and he gets there in a hurry. The 2019 Outland Trophy winner (best interior lineman) also collects plenty of knockdowns against second- and third-level defenders. He's effective on combo blocks, too, working with the guard. I love his overall demeanor and toughness.

Where he needs to improve: There aren't many flaws in Sewell's game. He had a very good battle against the talented Auburn defensive line in last year's season opener, winning the majority of his one-on-one matchups. However, Derrick Brown -- the seventh overall pick in this year's draft -- did beat him a couple of times. On those plays, Sewell's hands were too wide and Brown was able to get control of Sewell's chest to knock him back. Outside of those couple plays, though, his hand placement was excellent. That's about all I can criticize in his play. He was solid in every other area of importance at the position.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, 82nd Airborne said:

We will win games this year folks, the #1 pick will go to Washington, they are worst than us. 

We need to overhaul the OL and getting Sewell should be our top priority.  We won't develop any QB with our trash OL.  Therefore, playing Becton at RT (played 10 games in college) and drafting Sewell will anchor our line for years to come.   

Again, I am skeptic about Lawrence and Washington will be there before us, mark it! 

https://www.nfl.com/news/scouting-oregon-s-penei-sewell-nfl-s-next-great-left-tackle

I spent a lot of time studying former Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert leading up to the 2020 NFL Draft. While poring over Herbert's tape, I couldn't help but be impressed by his left tackle, Penei Sewell. We call that scan-scouting. Sometimes you notice those flashes of greatness from others while studying a certain prospect, but once you really focus on the player who flashed -- on every single play -- the shine wears off. That wasn't the case with Sewell. After putting him under the microscope, I came away even more impressed! Here are my notes from my initial scouting report on the Oregon junior.

Game tape watched: Auburn (Aug. 31, 2019), Stanford (Sept. 21, 2019), USC (Nov. 2, 2019).

What I liked: Sewell has ideal size, quickness and power for the position. In the passing game, he's quick out of his stance and does a nice job of staying square against his opponent. He's a knee-bender and rarely lunges or loses his balance. He has extremely strong hands to lock on and steer edge rushers. He's very aware versus games/stunts and if he's free, he looks for work (nasty knockdowns).

In the run game, Sewell consistently gets underneath defenders, uproots and moves them off the line of scrimmage. He excels when he's pulling or working up to the second level, and he gets there in a hurry. The 2019 Outland Trophy winner (best interior lineman) also collects plenty of knockdowns against second- and third-level defenders. He's effective on combo blocks, too, working with the guard. I love his overall demeanor and toughness.

Where he needs to improve: There aren't many flaws in Sewell's game. He had a very good battle against the talented Auburn defensive line in last year's season opener, winning the majority of his one-on-one matchups. However, Derrick Brown -- the seventh overall pick in this year's draft -- did beat him a couple of times. On those plays, Sewell's hands were too wide and Brown was able to get control of Sewell's chest to knock him back. Outside of those couple plays, though, his hand placement was excellent. That's about all I can criticize in his play. He was solid in every other area of importance at the position.

No one has awarded the #1 pick AND that the season isn’t over yet. Lots can still happen. 
You’d think otherwise if you read all the threads on this site.

This tackle seems like a beast.

i applaud thee.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

Absolutely reasonable. Actually would love to see Bekton be a mauling road grader RT.

”Skeptical about Lawrence” is just silly. Trying too hard to be a contrarian. 

Not really.  A lot about Lawrence will be answered in this years college playoff.  He was only okay vs ohio state last year and was bad vs lsu where burrow outplayed him so much it was laughable,

The annointing of lawrence is so premature

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I would have no issue with taking another high end oline.  Even if we did not take sewel i want one of our 1st three picks taken to be oline.  High end guard or a center or another tackle.

Yeah, I can't really argue with building up the O-line if QB isn't in our reach. Just as long as one of Becton or Sewell is comfortable making the switch to RT and the pay cut that will come with it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

So, the strategy is move the only decent player we have drafted in a decade to another position and draft another player for the position he shows promise at? We deserve all the misery we get. 

A top LT to build the tranches with a natural RT will be a great combination for years to come. Our line is terrible and is a MUST with any given QB. 

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Not really.  A lot about Lawrence will be answered in this years college playoff.  He was only okay vs ohio state last year and was bad vs lsu where burrow outplayed him so much it was laughable,

I mean he was pretty good against OSU. He led them on the game winning drive for a td. He had over 100 rushing yards. The LSU game was the only bad game he’s ever had going back to high school. 

CE85768C-49E8-4F7D-AE9D-8694B1D18ABC.png

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Josh Allen was downright deplorable against Power-5 teams in college. Now look at him.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I mean he was pretty good against OSU. He led them on the game winning drive for a td. He had over 100 rushing yards. The LSU game was the only bad game he’s ever had going back to high school. 

We are only projected at #1, but we will win games this year.  If you are a loyal Jets fan, the last thing we want is to be an 0-16 team, ever! 

• Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Josh Allen was downright deplorable against Power-5 teams in college. Now look at him.

Yes and I view Lawrence to be in the Josh Allen realm  (the current josh allen)  I do not view him as manning, brady, mahommes, etc etc that most people on here are tossing around

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

So, the strategy is move the only decent player we have drafted in a decade to another position and draft another player for the position he shows promise at? We deserve all the misery we get. 

Well, you do need two tackles. The caveat is that one of them will have to accept a career paycut moving from LT to RT.

Not an easy ask, if they both see themselves as franchise LTs. I don't know the numbers, but I'd imagine that difference is no small chunk of change.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Well, you do need two tackles. The caveat is that one of them will have to accept a career paycut moving from LT to RT.

Not an easy ask, if they both see themselves as franchise LTs. I don't know the numbers, but I'd imagine that difference is no small chunk of change.

Bingo!

41 minutes ago, 82nd Airborne said:

With our schedule and Miami just blanking us 24-0 tell me where these wins are coming from ...then again why would I doubt this we are the Jets

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Its not happening ...I know it was a suggestion and in a perfect world where money is no object is the only place something like this would happen

7 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

He had a 70 yard rushing td i believe. And the come from behind victory.

I think Fields threw 2 picks in the game. The 2nd int was on the 20 yard line with like 30 seconds left in the game