Possible scenario: Draft Penei Sewell and move Becton to RT

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yes and I view Lawrence to be in the Josh Allen realm  (the current josh allen)  I do not view him as manning, brady, mahommes, etc etc that most people on here are tossing around

Well it's not just people on here saying that about Lawrence, it's, well, everyone.

If you think you know more about them, and that they're just drumming up noise for the sake of drama and will be proven wrong, then fair enough. I can respect that.

I just know that I don't know more than all the analysts, pundits, scouts, etc., so I'll defer to their collective opinion.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Well it's not just people on here saying that about Lawrence, it's, well, everyone.

If you think you know more about them, and that they're just drumming up noise for the sake of drama and will be proven wrong, then fair enough. I can respect that.

I just know that I don't know more than all the analysts, pundits, scouts, etc., so I'll defer to their collective opinion.

Most people that jamarcus russell was really good.

Most people thought quinnen and leo were the best players in the draft.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Not really.  A lot about Lawrence will be answered in this years college playoff.  He was only okay vs ohio state last year and was bad vs lsu where burrow outplayed him so much it was laughable,

The annointing of lawrence is so premature

He’s one of the best QB prospects over the past 20 years. That doesn’t mean he will be a star but there is no denying his status as an elite prospect. 

49 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

There not gonna move Becton from LT. Especially with dominance he has shown at the position. Not saying they wouldn’t draft sewell but i doubt Becton would Be making position change if they do.

Yup Becton is one of the few building blocks we have at LT....however if we don't pick 1st drafting Sewell intrigues me....have 2 monstar bookend tackles is an excellent way to start the OL rebuild

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, 82nd Airborne said:

I want the Jets to win this year. I don't want any part of a 0-16 in my lifetime and want to beat the Patriots this year regardless. 

I want 2 trillion dollars and a Ferrari.  

That doesn’t mean I’m going to get it.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

If I’m a Jets fan and I had the choice of selecting 1st overall and Trevor Lawrence or drafting 5th overall and going 1-15, I’m taking the franchise QB 10 out of 10 times.

Darnold is our franchise QB who has been dealt a crappy coach, OL, broke dick rookies, no running game, just crap! 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

If I’m a Jets fan and I had the choice of selecting 1st overall and Trevor Lawrence or drafting 5th overall and going 1-15 in an absolutely meaningless season, I’m taking the franchise QB 10 out of 10 times.

Every year is a hype with QBs. We need to build the trenches and provide our QB with quality weapons. Also, why you keep mentioning #5?  Building our line with super studs should be the upmost priority, Protect the QB, provide air and ground attack, just basics...we are not even close.  We have a young QB that needs support! 

10 minutes ago, 82nd Airborne said:

#1 Natural LT

#2 Improve our running game with a natural RT

#3 Our OL sucks

We just drafted an LT.  George Fant has played well at RT.

So, you want to spend a HIGH draft pick on another LT, and move our LT to RT.

I have to admit, that would be a Jetsy move!

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

We just drafted an LT.  George Fant has played well at RT.

So, you want to spend a HIGH draft pick on another LT, and move our LT to RT.

I have to admit, that would be a Jetsy move!

Fant is a versatile player but not a mauler.  Drafting a stud, again a stud LT will anchor our line for the next 4-5 years.  Fant is good but not our long term solution! 

5 minutes ago, 82nd Airborne said:

Darnold is our franchise QB who has been dealt a crappy coach, OL, broke dick rookies, no running game, just crap! 

Okay, arguing that Darnold IS the guy, and that Joe Douglas believes in him, landing the #1 pick would give us the opportunity to trade down and amass a haul of picks that would better help this team than a single #6 draft slot.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Spoot-Face said:

Okay, arguing that Darnold IS the guy, and that Joe Douglas believes in him, landing the #1 pick would give us the opportunity to trade down and amass a haul of picks that would better help this team than a single #6 draft slot.

Please specify what the hell the Jets done for Darnold?  I will gladly wait for the answers. 

• Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, 82nd Airborne said:

Please specify what the hell the Jets done for Darnold?  I will gladly wait for the answers. 

I'm not refuting they've failed to build a team around Darnold, but the fact is he hasn't done anything this season to buy him a vote in confidence should we be facing the decision of whether or not to take Trevor Lawrence with the #1 pick.

A prospect of Lawrence's caliber on a fresh, new rookie contract would be nigh impossible to pass on.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

17 hours ago, 82nd Airborne said:

That’s nice.  The coaches and talent aren’t telling Darnold to throw across his body, down the field interceptions like the the Bills game.  

They also aren’t telling him to throw into triple coverage like the Colts game.

They sure aren’t telling him to miss wide open receivers for TDs like the Broncos game either.

Darnold hasn’t proved anything to anyone and, unfortunately for him, the Jets can’t take the financial risk on him after this year because if he doesn’t buck this trend, it will absolutely destroy the team for years to come.  He needs a change of scenery to even have a small chance of salvaging his career, and we need to restart on a rookie contract to properly rebuild. Cut bait. Move on.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

48 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Well, you do need two tackles. The caveat is that one of them will have to accept a career paycut moving from LT to RT.

Not an easy ask, if they both see themselves as franchise LTs. I don't know the numbers, but I'd imagine that difference is no small chunk of change.

Yes, we have an amazing prospect at left tackle. Let’s leave him there and draft the lesser of the two, a right tackle. Not like we don’t have eleventy billion other positions we need filling. 

• Upvote 1

Honestly you can take Sewell and play him wherever you want. That's Douglas's philosophy: play the best 5 no matter position. 

I know people look at size and assume Becton goes to RT. I'm not so sure. Sewell played RT through high school, he was the No. 2 Guard recruit, and he's got a lot of size himself. Also, just because Becton wasn't the top prospect coming in/Sewell is a "generational talent" coming in does not mean he won't be the better long-term. If Becton is proven to be an elite LT, he's going to stay there. Also, if Fant continues to play well, he'll probably stay at RT for another year or two too. 

That means you draft Sewell and plug him in on the weakest unit on the line. If in the future his best position is LT and Becton's is RT, great. If his is RT and Becton's is LT, great. Either way - it's all great. 

Personally, I absolutely love the idea of having Becton, Sewell, Fant, McGovern, Lewis/Clark on the same line. I think long-term, yes, Becton and Sewell would be the tackles. Which sides? Who cares. Right tackles have become far more impactful than they used to be given the new style passing offenses. Happy to have both. 

image.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, carlito1171 said:

Yup Becton is one of the few building blocks we have at LT....however if we don't pick 1st drafting Sewell intrigues me....have 2 monstar bookend tackles is an excellent way to start the OL rebuild

I would do that, and either with the 2nd first or in FA find the biggest left guard marker i can find.

When in doubt, run between the guard and tackle and let Becton just explode on people.  No one can withstand that man for 4 quarters if he os just teeing off on you.

• Upvote 2

Here we go again. Lets ignore the wr’s even though it’s by far the worst position group on the team and killing Sam. We need the best receiver in the draft this year - an elite playmaker to pair with Mims. It’s why he forces the ball into triple coverage because no one is OPEN. It’s why he holds the ball too long sometimes. Our OLine has been much better this year and we have some young guys that won’t see the field this year. Late first round is fine for best available OL as we no longer need a left tackle. Part of our issue this year is we didn’t draft or sign enough receivers.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, 82nd Airborne said:

#1 Natural LT

#2 Improve our running game with a natural RT

#3 Our OL sucks

This mess of a team will get first pick.....T Lawrence  is head and shoulders above the prospect Sam was and I like Sam....you take Lawrence who can attract a coach and staff before you take a T who attracts what? W Sam?

2 hours ago, football guy said:

Honestly you can take Sewell and play him wherever you want. That's Douglas's philosophy: play the best 5 no matter position. 

I know people look at size and assume Becton goes to RT. I'm not so sure. Sewell played RT through high school, he was the No. 2 Guard recruit, and he's got a lot of size himself. Also, just because Becton wasn't the top prospect coming in/Sewell is a "generational talent" coming in does not mean he won't be the better long-term. If Becton is proven to be an elite LT, he's going to stay there. Also, if Fant continues to play well, he'll probably stay at RT for another year or two too. 

That means you draft Sewell and plug him in on the weakest unit on the line. If in the future his best position is LT and Becton's is RT, great. If his is RT and Becton's is LT, great. Either way - it's all great. 

Personally, I absolutely love the idea of having Becton, Sewell, Fant, McGovern, Lewis/Clark on the same line. I think long-term, yes, Becton and Sewell would be the tackles. Which sides? Who cares. Right tackles have become far more impactful than they used to be given the new style passing offenses. Happy to have both. 

image.png

I'm pretty sure Becton and Sewell might care.

Top 10 2020 LT Salaries:

Indy - Anthony Castonzo - $17mil

KC - Eric Fisher - ~$15mil

GB - David Bakhtiari $14.7mil

TB - Donovan Smith - $14.5mil

Houston - Laremy Tunsil - $14mil

CAR - Russell Okung - $13mil

BAL - Ronnie Stanley - $12.8mil

SEA - Duane Brown - $12.5mil

SF - Trent Williams - $12.5mil

ATL - Jake Matthews - $10.7mil

Top 10 2020 RT Salaries:

KC - Mitchell Schwartz - $10.8mil

PHI - Lane Johnson - $10.2mil

WSH - Morgan Moses - $8.6mil

CHI - Bobby Massie - $8.3mil

CLE - Jack Conklin - $8mil

CIN - Bobby Hart - $6.8mil

LA - Rob Havenstein - $6.2mil

DET - Halapoulivaati Vaitai - $5.4mil

SF - Mike McGlinchey - $5mil

MIA - Jesse Davis - $4.8mil

Now, I only skimmed these numbers on spotrac, and haven't confirmed whether these numbers accurately represent each starting position, as I only went by the highest paid player on each team for either position, and that, in itself, is flawed. For example, they had Andrew Thomas as a RT, rather than LT, for NYG, Fant would be our highest paid LT, while Van Roten would be our highest paid RT, etc.

But even despite those inconsistencies, you can see a clear pattern. Left tackles just get paid more. So, assuming Becton continues on his trend of franchise LT worthy play, and Sewell lives up to his assumed draft slot, then either you have to overpay one of them to play RT, or risk losing him if he decides he's worth more than RT money, and wants to go play LT on another team and be paid accordingly. In that case, of course, we could always flip him for draft picks/players, but I'd much rather prefer using the initial draft slot to find a WR, while using a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th on a RT.