Sam's Last Stand

40 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I'd expand the question to 2-6. 

Does JD like Fields or Lance over Sam? That is the big question to me. 

you pick the one you prefer and make Sam COMPETE like a MF to earn the starting spot, if he does, fine, if he dont, trade him.

(or maybe even trade him if he DOES start....   after he plays a few games) 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

think that's a better way of looking at it.  

but to be honest - if the Jets are picking 2nd we are most likely taking a QB.  and probably 3rd as well.  

I probably would, but it really depends on what JD thinks of Lance and Fields. 

A lot of people have concerns over Fields busting because of recent OSU busts and Lance busting because he's so inexperienced. 

I honestly am not sure how the Jets will play it if they don't get the top pick. 

If JD didn't like Lance or Fields, another option would be to bring a vet in to compete with Darnold. (i..e what the Bears did this year with Foles/Trubisky)

4 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

you pick the one you prefer and make Sam COMPETE like a MF to earn the starting spot, if he does, fine, if he dont, trade him.

(or maybe even trade him if he DOES start....   after he plays a few games) 

Possibly - But my best guess is that the Jets would trade Darnold if they picked a QB in the first round. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, batman10023 said:

this is a quant model.  Josh Allen had a higher bust potential.  Darnold was roughly in the same percentage as Rosen.

even the authors own words

But if I were the analytics director for an NFL franchise, I would feel no need to disagree with a scouting director who placed Darnold ahead of Rosen.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/qbase-2018

which non analytics draft guru said Darold would be a bust.  the vast majority did not say this.

Key work "potential".

Rosen is a bust.  Darnold is teetering on the edge of being a bust.

Allan, so far, has avoided his bust potential, in large part due to his supportive cast and coaches, but also his own play.

Quibbling over what people said pre-2018 draft is pointless now anyway.  We have (going on) three years of actuals with which to judge.

7 minutes ago, David Harris said:

How do we repair the relationship with Sam Darnold if we don’t get the number one pick?

How does this guy ever sign an extension with this team if we don’t get TL?

Canning Gase would go a long way. Anyone other than him would be a breath of fresh air.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, David Harris said:

How do we repair the relationship with Sam Darnold if we don’t get the number one pick?

Because media and fan speculation and commentary have nothing to do with the Jets.

I know a lot of people think the Jets are tanking. Just because they are terrible doesn't mean they are not trying.

Personally I am looking forward to Sunday and seeing how Sam responds to all this noise. I'm rooting for him to have a great game.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Because media and fan speculation and commentary have nothing to do with the Jets.
I know a lot of people think the Jets are tanking. Just because they are terrible doesn't mean they are not trying.
Personally I am looking forward to Sunday and seeing how Sam responds to all this noise. I'm rooting for him to have a great game.

Yeah and the coaching staff isn’t necessarily supposed to align with upper management when it comes to tanking.

But hey. If Sam can pull out 3... maybe 4 wins by the end of the season. He can save his own job. Imagine if we got the 2nd or 3rd pick!!!
If he really wants to be the qb of the jets he can screw all of us over so badly. I’m not totally done with him. But I’m team Trevor.

This time we get a way better qb with extra draft capital to build around him. As bad as the jets seem there has to be a decent coach who believes they can win with Trevor here. And take it from there

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

jet fans are beyond fickle and expectations on darnold completely unrealistic- not one of you guys said he had such high bust potential when everyone was we have to suck for sam - no one - and with this team and this coaching staff not one hall of fame qb could be successful - he is not repeat not sanchez 2.0 - i think trading down in draft to gain more premium picks and jd prioritizing positions on offense and hitting on them will make all the difference in sam’s performance next year and beyond - forget the picks he sees and does things a fqb needs to do - i know i’ll get killed for this but it’s true - gase was brought in to develop sam and we know what a total loser gase is - sam deserves a head coach who can well you know .... coach

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

31 minutes ago, ncjetman said:

jet fans are beyond fickle and expectations on darnold completely unrealistic- not one of you guys said he had such high bust potential when everyone was we have to suck for sam - no one - 

Not one of us guys?  Suck for Sam?  No one?

Were you here?  Personally, I liked Darnold better than Mayfield and Rosen, but I was far from completely sold on him.  We had long conversations about how much he turned the ball over, his lack of improvement from 2016 to 2017, the hitch in his delivery and the "cow on ice" comments.  The he only reason he wasn't blasted harder is because most figured the Browns or Giants would take him and we'd be choosing between three out of Mayfield, Rosen, Allen and Barkley.  

FWIW, I liked Allen a bunch, but he was the most scary.  His inaccuracy at a small school was terrifying and he certainly had the highest boom/bust potential, as similar to Jackson as to the others.  At least he has a cannon.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

if i recall correctly once we didn't get Payton we gave our QB at the time a nice big fat extension.

2 hours ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

Yeah and the coaching staff isn’t necessarily supposed to align with upper management when it comes to tanking.

But hey. If Sam can pull out 3... maybe 4 wins by the end of the season. He can save his own job. Imagine if we got the 2nd or 3rd pick!!!
If he really wants to be the qb of the jets he can screw all of us over so badly. I’m not totally done with him. But I’m team Trevor.

This time we get a way better qb with extra draft capital to build around him. As bad as the jets seem there has to be a decent coach who believes they can win with Trevor here. And take it from there

If Sam can win 4 of the next 10 games with this team and coach and do so looking sharp, he is here to stay.

Of course, the key is that they don't play well enough to save Gase's job....

Alternatively, we really are an 0-16 team and we draft TL and trade Sam

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

Be advised that on Sunday it seems Sam's got some weather to contend with-  59 degrees, sunny, 3 mph wind.

SAR I

If there is weather he'll have to contend with because Gase isnt smart enough to realize in the NE, with weather, you need to have a run as a plan.

1 hour ago, y2k8 said:

If Sam can win 4 of the next 10 games with this team and coach and do so looking sharp, he is here to stay.

Of course, the key is that they don't play well enough to save Gase's job....

Alternatively, we really are an 0-16 team and we draft TL and trade Sam

The thing is we can't stop anyone and are actively trading away what talent there is on both sides of the ball. 

Sam is playing on quick sand. He needs to win as you say because of the realities associated with resetting the clock if the Jets pick first... But this is a tough brief...

• Upvote 1