HawkeyeJet

A real catch-22 for Jets fans the next month or so

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Nothing wrong with losing a lot of 24-17 type games where all of the rookies you mentioned, and Darnold, look good and competitive.

A season like last year where the Jets finished 6-2, gave us some hope, and still got the LT that looks like he was worth a Top 5 pick turned out to be great.  In other words, drafting 6th, 8th or 11th last year didn't really matter.  I think we got the right guy.  This year's colossal step backwards was unexpected by most and due to a variety of things - the active removal of talent from the roster, injuries, poor free agent signings, a bad HC and a QB unable to rise above all that.

In my mind, a dream scenario would be getting the #1 pick after finishing with a 1-15 record and having many of our key players look good (Darnold, Becton, Mims, Zuniga, Davis, Perine, etc.).  This would give JD lots of options including taking Lawrence, getting great trade value for Darnold after he finishes well, etc. and spare us the embarrassment of going winless.

If we are 1-15, Darnold didn’t play well enough to move forward with. That’s the bottom line. 

Darnold probably has to win a minimum of 4-5 games to keep his job, IMO. 

Otherwise, Douglas will be staring at one of Lawrence, Fields, or Lance with a chance to reset the rookie QB contract window.

street fighter GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Great post.  I have no idea if Lawrence is better than Darnold.  Some here are convinced of it for whatever reason (scouting reports, level of competition, QBASE scores, playing at USC vs. playing at Clemson, etc.).  But none of us can definitively say, with all things being equal, who would turn out to be a better QB.  But I CAN say with a high degree of confidence that no young QB will play very well here with the kind of coaching and roster the Jets currently have.

It just doesn't matter who the QB is right now.  Nobody is good enough to overcome Gase's coaching and fake handoffs to Frank Gore while hitting Braxton Berrios for big plays while Chuma Edoga is blocking for him.  Sure, there are probably some QBs who could get this Jets team to 2 or 3 wins, but nobody is having sustained success.  So, why not build up the team and the roster and have a nice landing spot for a future QB rather than doing the opposite?  Why continue to put highly drafted, high quality QB prospects in horrible situations where they are the only bright spot on a team that needs to rebuild for 2-3 years?

Fix the team first, then add the QB like the Chiefs did with Mahomes, like the Ravens did with Lamar, like Tennessee did before adding Tannehill, etc.  Lots of the NFL's best teams took their QBs at #10 or later in the Draft (Packers, Bills, Chiefs, Seahawks, Steelers, etc.).  This idea that you need to have a Top 2 or 3 pick to get a franchise QB is horsesh!t.  It only mattered when we had Maccagnan because he couldn't scout and had to look at concensus rankings to know who he wanted.  A real GM finds a QB who he can win with.  Again, Baltimore, Tennessee, Kansas City, Buffalo are all good examples.

You are entirely correct - nobody knows for certain what any college player will become - including Lawrence 

But the other big issue is financial. Having your QB on year 1 of his rookie contract is an enormous advantage going forward 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

What is this obsession with resetting the rookie deal on the QB. There is nobody on this team due for a big payday including Sam. How could anyone justify giving him a big contract. He would probably get a deal in the area of 15 Mill. That would be peanuts for a young QB. We are also sitting on a ton of cap. This thing about having cap space is only important if you have vets you want to resign. There are none of those on the Jets. 

The fact that Sam hasn’t earned a big payday yet is precisely the problem. We have to make a decision on Sam one way or another next year and he hasn’t shown the consistency necessary to prove that he can be the guy. 

So, if Sam doesn’t start playing really, really well like right now, we will basically be heading into next year with Sam having one season to prove himself before having to either make a big financial commitment to him or lose him for nothing. 

But if you draft Lawrence, you now have an awesome QB prospect who you don’t have to commit to long term for several years. 

This is Sam’s third year - he has to put it together now. That’s the way the NFL works, unfortunately. You don’t get half a decade to develop into a franchise QB on one team.  

• Upvote 1

It’s really simple friends - If Sam wants to be here next year, he has to carry us to enough wins to keep us from drafting his replacement.

This would unavoidably require that he play a lot better going forward than he has so far this season. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The problem with that is we have been trying to evaluate Sam with his shoe laces tied together. I think Sam can be the guy but if the chance to draft Lawrence presents itself, it makes sense to go that direction and let some other team develop Sam. I just don't want to see this team draft Fields so we can reset the QB clock and have another QB prospect no better than Sam. 

I agree.

I wouldn’t necessarily take Fields or Lance over Sam, but I would be very tempted. 

If JD thinks Fields or Lance can be the guy, he should take one of them. If not, trade down and try to build a legit team around Darnold.

I’m good with whatever Douglas decides if Lawrence is off the table. I’m honestly not overly opinionated on Lance or Fields one way or another. 

15 minutes ago, riggy001 said:

You are correct, tough spot, and also throw in the small chance, they play well , go 5-5, and keep gase. Brutal.

If the Jets won 5 straight against Buffalo, KC, NE, LA, and Miami, it would legit be one of the most shocking turnarounds in NFL history. All bets would be off at that point.

Nice to day dream about, but not happening. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Root for the Jets, since we're all Jets Fans.

The Draft will be what it will be.  

Rooting for losses....man, what a miserable way to watch your team, getting mad when they do good, being pissed if they win, why bother at that point?  May as well just not watch at all.

I contend that 99% of the people here who now say they are actively rooting against the Jets aren’t actually rooting against the Jets. 

You can know in your head that the jets are better off in the long run getting the top pick than wining 3 or 4 games and still feel sick to your stomach watching Joe Flacco take a 30 yard sack or Gase call an off tackle run down by three scores in the second half on 2nd and 26. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company