Ralph Vacchiano: Sources: Jets not expected to fire Adam Gase midseason

Jetsbb

https://sny.tv/articles/sources-jets-not-expected-to-fire-adam-gase-midseason

A coaching change may feel inevitable for the Jets, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to happen any time soon.

Embattled Jets head coach Adam Gase has obviously survived a miserable, 0-6 start littered with non-competitive games, and there is a real chance he will survive the season, according to multiple sources familiar with the Jets' thinking. The sense is that neither CEO Christopher Johnson nor GM Joe Douglas wants to fire the 42-year-old head coach midseason and doesn’t feel any need or pressure to do it.

That could always change, of course, since it’s not clear just how high Johnson’s pain threshold will be if this season continues to devolve. And there’s always a chance that the Jets continue to spiral – more blowout losses, or players or coaches airing their gripes through the media, for example – that circumstances will force their hand.

But for the moment, it appears that any coaching change won’t come until after the season ends.

“They really don’t want to do it,” one source said. “They may have to, at some point. But they know a midseason coaching change doesn’t change their situation. I think they’re going to hold off as long as they can.”

There are some good, logical reasons for holding off, too, based on conversations with people inside and outside of the organization:

• Midseason coaching changes rarely do anything in the NFL, and at 0-6 and facing a tough schedule it really won’t matter for the Jets. They’d need a miracle just to get near .500 at this point, and they don’t appear to have the talent for that.
  • Though the Jets aren’t “Tanking for Trevor” Lawrence, the Clemson quarterback expected to go No. 1 overall in the 2021 draft, Douglas is surely cognizant of the importance of a Top 5 pick. That takes away some of the urgency to fix the Jets’ problems this far into a lost season and could make them wary of any small bounce a coaching change could give them.
  • With no fans in the stands and no tickets to sell, there really is no outside pressure. If fans had been in the stands to boo or chant “Fire Gase” and, more importantly, tickets had gone unsold, Gase might already be gone. But the pandemic has created sort of a cone of silence around Jets headquarters, as long as no one turns on talk radio on their way home.
  • Gase is a lightning rod, and there are some outside the organization who think this is a big factor. All the heat right now is on him, which takes the pressure off what increasingly looks like a poor offseason and shaky first draft by Douglas. It also distracts from the sticky situation Johnson created by essentially letting his coach have a hand in choosing the GM.
  • Who would replace him anyway? The obvious choice had always been defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who certainly has the respect of the defensive players. But he’s a volatile personality and his thinly veiled shot at the offense last week reminded everyone of that. The last thing the Jets would want is a coaching change that leads to more chaos.

Of course, all those reasons might not be enough to prevent an in-season coaching change if, one morning, Johnson wakes up screaming “Enough!” But if he didn’t do that after the loss to the winless Broncos three weeks ago, or after the Jets' 24-0 shellacking in Miami last Sunday, maybe he won’t. The Jets already have lost five of six games by 10 points or more (and the other one by nine), their average loss this season is 31-13 and they have one of the worst offenses in the NFL – again.

Yes, things could always get worse and there’s no guarantee the Jets are at rock bottom. But for the moment, the pain tolerance of Gase’s bosses appears to be high enough to buy him some time.

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

They are seriously going to ride Gase to a 1-15 or 0-16 record  while the fans and media are either screaming or laughing?

Gase is the perfect fall guy for the team’s failures this year.  He insulates the gm and owner.  If they get the first pick, great, gase gets canned and we’ll see who wants to coach Lawrence.  If they don’t get the first pick, ok, hopefully that means that darnold played his butt off the 2nd half of the year.  But with the team so injured and trending towards a top 3 pick, gase staying is perfect for douglas and the johnsons.  

• Upvote 3

Vacchiano is right. Gase really is lucky there are no fans in the stadium this season. No fans looks better than a half empty stadium booing the product. Fair enough. I guess the fans are also lucky not to be there with the garbage being put on the field. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I still believe they're hoping to bring him back next year.  

Me too, all part of the show kids. He has them adequately snookered especially with him and the GM having history. He hired Douglas for Pete’s sake, this is nothing more than a step in a series of terrible directions for this franchise.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Me too, all part of the show kids. He has them adequately snookered especially with him and the GM having history. He hired Douglas for Pete’s sake, this is nothing more than a step in a series of terrible directions for this franchise.

I’d say that there’s no way they can be that dumb ...but then again, Jets.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

• Gase is a lightning rod, and there are some outside the organization who think this is a big factor. All the heat right now is on him, which takes the pressure off what increasingly looks like a poor offseason and shaky first draft by Douglas. It also distracts from the sticky situation Johnson created by essentially letting his coach have a hand in choosing the GM.

This is the most interesting tidbit, IMO. The idea that Douglas might be onboard with letting Gase absorb all the heat given the offseason didn't exactly play out the way he wanted it to -- especially if the blame for some of the poorer moves (letting Robby walk) can be pinned on Gase.

• Upvote 3

I think it is all about the 2021 draft at this point.  Let Gase get us a top 5 pick if not the #1 overall and then fire him.  We can either trade the pick and get more to rebuild with or get Lawrence.  Hopefully we can attract a winning, veteran coach that can turn this team around.  If we get another "up-and-coming" coordinator, we're fvcked for the foreseeable future.  This team can't afford another bust at Head Coach, we've already had  6 losers in a row.  Every coach since 2001 had less than a .500 winning record, and every successive coach got worse.  Talk about a team in need of a winning coach.  Geez.....but wait it gets worse.  The only coach we've ever had (that coached more than 1 season, so I'm not counting Groh) with a greater than .500 winning record was Bill Parcells.  That's 18 head coaches since 1960 with overall losing records (I also didn't count Bill Belichick's 0-0 all time record...as impressive as that is ?) .  No wonder this franchise is the NFL's laughing stock.

16 Al Groh* 2000* 16 9 7 0 .563   [19]
17 Herman Edwards 20012005 80 39 41 0 .488 5 2 3   [20]
18 Eric Mangini 20062008 48 23 25 0 .479 1 0 1   [21]
19 Rex Ryan 20092014 96 46 50 0 .479 6 4 2   [22]
20 Todd Bowles 20152018 64 24 40 0 .375   [23]
21 Adam Gase 2019–present 22 7 15 0 .318
  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

27 minutes ago, nycdan said:

They are seriously going to ride Gase to a 1-15 or 0-16 record  while the fans and media are either screaming or laughing?

Here's my concern.  I think there's STILL a chance they keep him beyond this year.  Don't know if it's a 10% chance, 30% or even 60%, but a few potential reasons...

1. I think Gase is in on the tank.  I think he's the willing co-pilot to JD on this thing and there's a very good chance that Douglas has told him, "Hey, sit tight...it's going to be ugly.  Do the best you can but I'm going to be pulling good players off this team every week and sending them away for whatever I can get.  It won't be held against you in the W-L columns, but keep the ship afloat and try to compete.  We need draft picks, Cap space and other assets to rebuild here and you'll benefit when I start bringing those players onboard next year."  Gase has been fairly quiet about the roster and doesn't seem to be coaching like a guy who thinks he's going anywhere.

2. CJ's full-throated endorsement of Gase earlier this season, continuing to call him a genius, and giving no indication of having high expectations for this year.

3. The Johnsons don't like to pay guys who are no longer here.  They were already doing it with Macc and Bowles I believe.  They're certainly doing it with Le'Veon Bell.  I don't think they want to get rid of Gase after just two seasons and continue to pay him.

If I had to ballpark it I'd say there's a 40% chance Gase comes back if the Jets win 1 game, maybe 25% if they go winless.

Hue Jackson was kept on the Browns through their epic winless spell including all of their 0-16 season.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yup.

He was part of the rebuild plan - helped architect it.  

They knew they were throwing out garbage this year.  Gase has them convinced none of this is his fault.  Just a few months ago the owners called him a genius. 

IMHO there's still a good chance he's back next year.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I can't imagine that's a real possibility -- if there are going to be fans in the stands next year I can guarantee he'll be gone.

If we have a shiny new QB and 3 additional picks in the top 33 - the stands will be packed.

People aren't going to defect because of the coach.  

My guess, the only way Gase really gets fired is if TL doesn't want to play for him.  Jet's hand will be forced then.  Otherwise he's part of the long-term plan here.

Frankly don't see the big deal on whether they fire him in season or postseason. He's not keeping the job if this season stays on the current trajectory.  Williams comments from last week probably hurt any chance he had of interim HC in addition to the poor play of the defense. 

• Upvote 1

Worst case scenario is the team goes full "Major League" where JD flips Crowder, Maye, Q, etc. for Serrano, Vaughn and Willie Mays Hayes. And then they start winning under Gase.  Key tell will be if there's a picture of Woody on an easel in the background of Gase's Zoom calls with strategic pieces of clothing missing...

• Sympathy 1