Ralph Vacchiano: Sources: Jets not expected to fire Adam Gase midseason

Jetsbb

44 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I still believe they're hoping to bring him back next year.  

Sure.  The Johnson's are paying him for the next two years so of course they would love a reason to keep him.  I think the only way he stays is if he get the team to at least 8-8, but there's no realistic way they go 8-2 for the remaining season,  so he's as good as gone on 4 Jan 21

This Vacchiano report is a direct contradiction of reports we received from;

Pauline said a Gase firing was 'near.'

Pat McAfee said, they were basically 'intentionally tanking.'

We really don't know what is happening.  We do know that the Jets are doing the wrong thing, like always... whatever it is.

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Unlike that absolute clown show (who blocked me on Twitter for calling him out lmao) I have an actual source and have proven that multiple times here.  Choose to believe it or not, I don’t need the validation.  I just like keeping this forum informed the best that I can.

@maury77 and some moderators are just a few that can vouch for me.

Ok, Manish Mogglez. 

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

No surprise but the logic is still flawed.

This coach is doing tangible damage to the team and players.  There is evidence all over the place that players play poorly under gase and flourish after he is gone.

The jets have plenty have of interim candidates that could take over for the rest of the year.

100%

It's staggering how often the media shows a real lack of lockerroom perspective. Players come with a psychological/cognitive liability. A galvanized roster can move mountains, and so too can a toxic one.  

• Upvote 4

22 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Here's my concern.  I think there's STILL a chance they keep him beyond this year.  Don't know if it's a 10% chance, 30% or even 60%, but a few potential reasons...

1. I think Gase is in on the tank.  I think he's the willing co-pilot to JD on this thing and there's a very good chance that Douglas has told him, "Hey, sit tight...it's going to be ugly.  Do the best you can but I'm going to be pulling good players off this team every week and sending them away for whatever I can get.  It won't be held against you in the W-L columns, but keep the ship afloat and try to compete.  We need draft picks, Cap space and other assets to rebuild here and you'll benefit when I start bringing those players onboard next year."  Gase has been fairly quiet about the roster and doesn't seem to be coaching like a guy who thinks he's going anywhere.

2. CJ's full-throated endorsement of Gase earlier this season, continuing to call him a genius, and giving no indication of having high expectations for this year.

3. The Johnsons don't like to pay guys who are no longer here.  They were already doing it with Macc and Bowles I believe.  They're certainly doing it with Le'Veon Bell.  I don't think they want to get rid of Gase after just two seasons and continue to pay him.

If I had to ballpark it I'd say there's a 40% chance Gase comes back if the Jets win 1 game, maybe 25% if they go winless.

Hue Jackson was kept on the Browns through their epic winless spell including all of their 0-16 season.

1. doubt very much Gase is in on a tank. This is him coaching. I know we're searching for explanations to this team's futility, that'd make them seem more competent than they are, but it's not grounded in reality. He's a bad coach, coaching a bad team. Or is the suggestion that Williams is also in on the tank? The D has been no better than the offense -- even with all the bad teams we've seen over the years (not just the Jets) I've never seen a team with the 11th-fewest pass attempts against still give up the most yards, and none of those opponents are even ranked among the top 10 offenses. 

2. deep-throated

3. In fairness, is there anybody on earth who likes to pay guys who no longer work for them? If they did "like" it they'd be even dumber than we already think. They fired Bowles with 2 full years left on his contract; Macc with <5 months shy of that. 

The only thing keeping Gase employed is the combination of #2 plus maybe Douglas sticking up for the guy who got him hired (i.e. "we're not winning anything this year anyhow, and at least let him stick around long enough for more starters to return to the field"). 

He just sucks. So he's in the right place & fits right in this year. I don't think he has much chance of returning next year, let alone if we end up with the #1 pick. If he finishes 7-9 again somehow, then I agree he's got a chance. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

Midseason coaching changes rarely do anything in the NFL, and at 0-6 and facing a tough schedule it really won’t matter for the Jets. They’d need a miracle just to get near .500 at this point, and they don’t appear to have the talent for that.

5 minutes ago, pointman said:

Apparently you and Manish Mogglez are sensitive and can't take a joke. 

nah, wasn't anything venomous in my post. Just letting you know you should be familiar with him by now. He's given us a handful of sneak-peeks over the years about what's going on behind closed doors. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Paradis said:

On topic:

I don't think he makes it through season. On paper it seems to make sense, but talk to me when we're 0-10 and the players are mailing it in.

The optics alone will move their hand. 

If he makes it through the BYE I don’t see it happening mid-season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Me too, all part of the show kids. He has them adequately snookered especially with him and the GM having history. He hired Douglas for Pete’s sake, this is nothing more than a step in a series of terrible directions for this franchise.

Yup.

My fear too.

And possibly, not bullsh*t, my breaking point.  Just....no.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Midseason coaching changes rarely do anything in the NFL, and at 0-6 and facing a tough schedule it really won’t matter for the Jets. They’d need a miracle just to get near .500 at this point, and they don’t appear to have the talent for that.

What would you do?  You ok letting Gase go 0-16, setting a new all-time Kotite-eclipsing era of failure for our franchise, without any action from Ownership to try and right the sinking ship?  Is "well, it doesn't do anything anyway" good enough to hand wave away this era?  Do you maybe even give Gase a chance to come back in 2021, since after all it's not HIS fault the roster is bad.....right?

Draft Pick aside (I get 99% of JN is now rooting for Jets losses, I get it), are you cool with just having Gase lose by 20 points week after week after week, potentially ending Darnold here in NY, and think the best choice is just "do nothing"?

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

If he makes it through the BYE I don’t see it happening mid-season.

Yea, that's kind about what i'm thinking... It's clear our record and performance isn't going to be a catalyst in and of itself, but the collective NFL media is starting really circle the wagons and a few more "episodes" with coaches and players.... yea. Gotta give the sharks something to chew on. 

I can see the value in keeping Adam's firing in your backpocket as a lifeline.... wait until you absolutely have to, to stave off mutiny. 

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Warfish said:

What would you do?  You ok letting Gase go 0-16, setting a new all-time Kotite-eclipsing era of failure for our franchise, without any action from Ownership to try and right the sinking ship?

Draft Pick aside (I get 99% of JN is now rooting for Jets losses, I get it), are you cool with just having Gase lose by 20 points week after week after week, and think the bets choice is "do nothing"?

Leave it the way it is.  If you think he should go wait until the end of the season.  We're not getting a boost by firing Gase and putting someone else in charge of an 0-6 team.  Its mid season, it makes absolutely no sense other than for cosmetics.  You cant change schemes, you will run the same offense and what will that do?  

I dont think a thing changes in the play of the team.  Gase is a failure and will take the hit but seriously, no one is going to win or be competitive with this roster.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Leave it the way it is.  If you think he should go wait until the end of the season.  We're not getting a boost by firing Gase and putting someone else in charge of an 0-6 team.  Its mid season, it makes absolutely no sense other than for cosmetics.  You cant change schemes, you will run the same offense and what will that do?  

I dont think a thing changes in the play of the team.  Gase is a failure and will take the hit but seriously, no one is going to win or be competitive with this roster.

So 0-16, with no attempt to change anything, is the Nut plan.  Ok, fair enough.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If we have to suffer watching all of these games then Gase should be contractually obligated to do the same. Firing him mid-season would be doing Gase a favor. Now his career coaching record will be forever tainted. 

0-16 will almost guarantee Adam Gase never works in the NFL again.