Ralph Vacchiano: Sources: Jets not expected to fire Adam Gase midseason

Jetsbb

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So 0-16, with no attempt to change anything, is the Nut plan.  Ok, fair enough.

And its pretty much the plan of every NFL team that is going to change HCs.  Its been that way as long as I've watched football, this isnt a new plan exclusive to me.  Read Vaccianos piece.  The response didnt need sarcasm 

While ignoring the point that the offensive schemes will be the same, the plays will be basically the same.  You need an offseason to implement changes, this isnt baseball.  Add in the fact that the shltty talent level will be the same.  

If you think your a decent to good team and he HC is holding you back, a rarity you can make a change.  But the change just because, is pointless.  

The response didnt need sarcasm 

2 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

https://sny.tv/articles/sources-jets-not-expected-to-fire-adam-gase-midseason

A coaching change may feel inevitable for the Jets, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to happen any time soon.

Embattled Jets head coach Adam Gase has obviously survived a miserable, 0-6 start littered with non-competitive games, and there is a real chance he will survive the season, according to multiple sources familiar with the Jets' thinking. The sense is that neither CEO Christopher Johnson nor GM Joe Douglas wants to fire the 42-year-old head coach midseason and doesn’t feel any need or pressure to do it.

That could always change, of course, since it’s not clear just how high Johnson’s pain threshold will be if this season continues to devolve. And there’s always a chance that the Jets continue to spiral – more blowout losses, or players or coaches airing their gripes through the media, for example – that circumstances will force their hand.

But for the moment, it appears that any coaching change won’t come until after the season ends.

“They really don’t want to do it,” one source said. “They may have to, at some point. But they know a midseason coaching change doesn’t change their situation. I think they’re going to hold off as long as they can.”

There are some good, logical reasons for holding off, too, based on conversations with people inside and outside of the organization:

• Midseason coaching changes rarely do anything in the NFL, and at 0-6 and facing a tough schedule it really won’t matter for the Jets. They’d need a miracle just to get near .500 at this point, and they don’t appear to have the talent for that.
  • Though the Jets aren’t “Tanking for Trevor” Lawrence, the Clemson quarterback expected to go No. 1 overall in the 2021 draft, Douglas is surely cognizant of the importance of a Top 5 pick. That takes away some of the urgency to fix the Jets’ problems this far into a lost season and could make them wary of any small bounce a coaching change could give them.
  • With no fans in the stands and no tickets to sell, there really is no outside pressure. If fans had been in the stands to boo or chant “Fire Gase” and, more importantly, tickets had gone unsold, Gase might already be gone. But the pandemic has created sort of a cone of silence around Jets headquarters, as long as no one turns on talk radio on their way home.
  • Gase is a lightning rod, and there are some outside the organization who think this is a big factor. All the heat right now is on him, which takes the pressure off what increasingly looks like a poor offseason and shaky first draft by Douglas. It also distracts from the sticky situation Johnson created by essentially letting his coach have a hand in choosing the GM.
  • Who would replace him anyway? The obvious choice had always been defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who certainly has the respect of the defensive players. But he’s a volatile personality and his thinly veiled shot at the offense last week reminded everyone of that. The last thing the Jets would want is a coaching change that leads to more chaos.

Of course, all those reasons might not be enough to prevent an in-season coaching change if, one morning, Johnson wakes up screaming “Enough!” But if he didn’t do that after the loss to the winless Broncos three weeks ago, or after the Jets' 24-0 shellacking in Miami last Sunday, maybe he won’t. The Jets already have lost five of six games by 10 points or more (and the other one by nine), their average loss this season is 31-13 and they have one of the worst offenses in the NFL – again.

Yes, things could always get worse and there’s no guarantee the Jets are at rock bottom. But for the moment, the pain tolerance of Gase’s bosses appears to be high enough to buy him some time.

This seems silly, G Williams literally took over the brown and turned things around over night. The mid season firings this season ahve worked out incredibly well for those teams, because they starting winning. The argument not to change is stupid, it just is. 

Now the more likely scenario where leadership wants the first pick, albeit a very stupid position to have obviously, but never the less I think is realistic. Very Jets ownership type of move to throw the season away because of potential promise of a potential rookie qb, but it is what it is.

But please dont try to sell me on getting rid of gase as anything other than the best thing the Jets should be right now. Like seriously what kind of idiot believes this trash, you have to have 0 football knowledge.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Here's my concern.  I think there's STILL a chance they keep him beyond this year.  Don't know if it's a 10% chance, 30% or even 60%, but a few potential reasons...

1. I think Gase is in on the tank.  I think he's the willing co-pilot to JD on this thing and there's a very good chance that Douglas has told him, "Hey, sit tight...it's going to be ugly.  Do the best you can but I'm going to be pulling good players off this team every week and sending them away for whatever I can get.  It won't be held against you in the W-L columns, but keep the ship afloat and try to compete.  We need draft picks, Cap space and other assets to rebuild here and you'll benefit when I start bringing those players onboard next year."  Gase has been fairly quiet about the roster and doesn't seem to be coaching like a guy who thinks he's going anywhere.

2. CJ's full-throated endorsement of Gase earlier this season, continuing to call him a genius, and giving no indication of having high expectations for this year.

3. The Johnsons don't like to pay guys who are no longer here.  They were already doing it with Macc and Bowles I believe.  They're certainly doing it with Le'Veon Bell.  I don't think they want to get rid of Gase after just two seasons and continue to pay him.

If I had to ballpark it I'd say there's a 40% chance Gase comes back if the Jets win 1 game, maybe 25% if they go winless.

Hue Jackson was kept on the Browns through their epic winless spell including all of their 0-16 season.

Could be.  It all depends what CJ was told in the off-season.  If CJ was told that Darnold was the real deal, and they would be in the play off this year, Gase is gone.

If CJ was told that there was a reason both the Browns, and the Giants passed on Darnold.  He's not a good NFL QB, and Mac really left the roster in total shambles.

They need 2 more years, with very high draft picks, and a new QB to get the ship afloat.  Pretty good chance Gase is back.

I think it's the latter.  IMO Douglas made it clear when the Jets were courting him that he thought the team sucked, and if he was going to sign with them it was going to cost them serious money, and a 6 year guaranteed contract. Otherwise he couldn't re-build this horrible team in 2-3 years.

If that's the case, Gase will be back.  If the Jets get Lawerence in this draft, the stadium will be packed opening day

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

No surprise but the logic is still flawed.

This coach is doing tangible damage to the team and players.  There is evidence all over the place that players play poorly under gase and flourish after he is gone.

The jets have plenty have of interim candidates that could take over for the rest of the year.

Tangible damage? What’s that? This is the NFL. Grow a pair if you can’t stand losing. How much damage did Ryan Tannehill absorb?

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And its pretty much the plan of every NFL team that is going to change HCs.  Its been that way as long as I've watched football, this isnt a new plan exclusive to me.  Read Vaccianos piece.  The response didnt need sarcasm 

While ignoring the point that the offensive schemes will be the same, the plays will be basically the same.  You need an offseason to implement changes, this isnt baseball.  Add in the fact that the shltty talent level will be the same.  

If you think your a decent to good team and he HC is holding you back, a rarity you can make a change.  But the change just because, is pointless.  

The response didnt need sarcasm 

um ... false?

any team firing hte HC changes off strategy and game plans every week, just like every othe rHC in the league. Every game it is different and the package of plays change, what are you talking about? you literally see this with every single HS replacement. It is because you are replacing he HC who determines the game plan, very simple concept.

Agian not same scheme...and by definition not the same plays, but more importantly in our case not he same play calling...sure we will still have a run up the gut it just wont be the only play called nor called 20 times a game in the least opportune times to run it. 

You do not need an off season to change anything? THIS IS CRAZY THINKING!! Actually NFL quality coaching adapt players strengths nd weakness of the game, literally every week - and get this you can do it no matter who is on your roster - you are allowed too. See herbert, See Mayfield, See Mahomes, See Ryan, See Tennesee, See name every team this year. I'm am trying now to be belligerent but your comments amaze me, you think that well we suck with gase so we just have to remain in the suck. NO YOU DO NOT! We can have another person be the HC tomorrow and that person can call good plays.

This last point might just be your worst, hard to say since the whole thng is ridiculous, but lets just say this last one was you rworst, so if youre a decent, no if you think you are a decent to good team (see houston) it is pointless to fire your head coach because making that chagne by your logic is pointless? Really? You beleive that honestly???

They fired Bill Obrien and then won the very next week and starting actually scoring more points that before!!! SHOCKING!!! lol

Im sorry man i hope this doesn't come out at mean or trying dis you I just am in disbelief of your post. You saw them put 36 on the titans right? I mean you literally see a team do exactly what you say we shouldn't do because it wouldn't make a diff and they literally did exactly what you said not too.. I mean damn thats Nuts

Just imagine another coach comes in and we get good play calling and game plans, all of a sudden our struggling qb looks alot better, the team starts wining being competitive..

Its like the Jets have beaten you down, way down to where you have given up on Hope.

13 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

Tangible damage? What’s that? This is the NFL. Grow a pair if you can’t stand losing. How much damage did Ryan Tannehill absorb?

The guy is a disgustingly bad coach players getting sent away due to this coach.  Playing players who are injured.  Playing Gore and Flacco on a team that is already out of it.

You breed non accountability (see the bowles era)

He is the worst head coach in the league and the worst offensive coach in the league.

If the logic behind keeping him we want to go 0-16 so we can get  the next qb to add to a talentless bad team then that for me is not a good reason

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Here's my concern.  I think there's STILL a chance they keep him beyond this year.  Don't know if it's a 10% chance, 30% or even 60%, but a few potential reasons...

1. I think Gase is in on the tank.  I think he's the willing co-pilot to JD on this thing and there's a very good chance that Douglas has told him, "Hey, sit tight...it's going to be ugly.  Do the best you can but I'm going to be pulling good players off this team every week and sending them away for whatever I can get.  It won't be held against you in the W-L columns, but keep the ship afloat and try to compete.  We need draft picks, Cap space and other assets to rebuild here and you'll benefit when I start bringing those players onboard next year."  Gase has been fairly quiet about the roster and doesn't seem to be coaching like a guy who thinks he's going anywhere.

2. CJ's full-throated endorsement of Gase earlier this season, continuing to call him a genius, and giving no indication of having high expectations for this year.

3. The Johnsons don't like to pay guys who are no longer here.  They were already doing it with Macc and Bowles I believe.  They're certainly doing it with Le'Veon Bell.  I don't think they want to get rid of Gase after just two seasons and continue to pay him.

If I had to ballpark it I'd say there's a 40% chance Gase comes back if the Jets win 1 game, maybe 25% if they go winless.

Hue Jackson was kept on the Browns through their epic winless spell including all of their 0-16 season.

You might be right.  From what I understand, the Jets Fan Advisory Board still likes him.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Could be.  It all depends what CJ was told in the off-season.  If CJ was told that Darnold was the real deal, and they would be in the play off this year, Gase is gone.

If CJ was told that there was a reason both the Browns, and the Giants passed on Darnold.  He's not a good NFL QB, and Mac really left the roster in total shambles.

They need 2 more years, with very high draft picks, and a new QB to get the ship afloat.  Pretty good chance Gase is back.

I think it's the latter.  IMO Douglas made it clear when the Jets were courting him that he thought the team sucked, and if he was going to sign with them it was going to cost them serious money, and a 6 year guaranteed contract. Otherwise he couldn't re-build this horrible team in 2-3 years.

If that's the case, Gase will be back.  If the Jets get Lawerence in this draft, the stadium will be packed opening day

IMHO, this is exactly what happened.  Everything JD this off-season wreaked of tanking and that he had already moved on from Sam.

It was also pretty clear that Gase was part of that plan.  I doubt they thought they would be this bad, but they had every intention of starting over with a new QB.

I suspect Gase will be back.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

No surprise but the logic is still flawed.

This coach is doing tangible damage to the team and players.  There is evidence all over the place that players play poorly under gase and flourish after he is gone.

The jets have plenty have of interim candidates that could take over for the rest of the year.

Wait a second. You ( and I don’t mean beerfish necessarily) cant say the team has no talent and then say the players will flourish when gase is replaced.  This implies there is some talent that isn’t being realized. I go along with this. Yes the jets don’t have an abundance of talent but give them maybe 6 play makers and they’d right about where most teams are.

I’m not sure where Douglas deserves taking a whole lot of heat for his draft. One player, Becton, is highly rated, Mann has done well as a Pinter, and Perine has shown some ability. True the rest of the draft has done next to nothing but that’s because they’ve been injured. Only Davis has gotten in.  At least let’s see what Mims, Zuniga, and Clark can do before writing off this draft.

and then there’s the comment about williams’ and his defense.  They don’t look much better than the offense no matter what Williams says about having to defend short fields because of the offense. I find it hard to believe he has the full attention of the players at this point.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

IMHO, this is exactly what happened.  Everything JD this off-season wreaked of tanking and that he had already moved on from Sam.

It was also pretty clear that Gase was part of that plan.  I doubt they thought they would be this bad, but they had every intention of starting over with a new QB.

I suspect Gase will be back.  

Gase won't be back.   Apathy has set in with the fan base.   The Johnson's can't afford not to fire him.  They would lose more money from fans checking out, than from firing Gase and eating what's left of his salary and the other coaches salaries.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Wait a second. You ( and I don’t mean beerfish necessarily) cant say the team has no talent and then say the players will flourish when gase is replaced.  This implies there is some talent that isn’t being realized. I go along with this. Yes the jets don’t have an abundance of talent but give them maybe 6 play makers and they’d right about where most teams are.

The team has no talent and the coach stinks.  How is that?

20 minutes ago, Beaver said:

Gase won't be back.   Apathy has set in with the fan base.   The Johnson's can't afford not to fire him.  They would lose more money from fans checking out, than from firing Gase and eating what's left of his salary and the other coaches salaries.

If this guys under center, there will be a waiting list for tickets.

trevor-lawrence-getty-ftr-072420jpg_10ed

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Beaver said:

I think you're on the money here. The Jets ie., the Johnsons,  have struck me as sensitive to the public perception of the Jets organization. If Gase is back for next year fans will check out. Mind you if the draft Lawrence, football addicts (like some of us here on JN) will continue to rubber neck at everything Jets related.

3 hours ago, afjetsfan said:

I think it is all about the 2021 draft at this point.  Let Gase get us a top 5 pick if not the #1 overall and then fire him.  We can either trade the pick and get more to rebuild with or get Lawrence.  Hopefully we can attract a winning, veteran coach that can turn this team around.  If we get another "up-and-coming" coordinator, we're fvcked for the foreseeable future.  This team can't afford another bust at Head Coach, we've already had  6 losers in a row.  Every coach since 2001 had less than a .500 winning record, and every successive coach got worse.  Talk about a team in need of a winning coach.  Geez.....but wait it gets worse.  The only coach we've ever had (that coached more than 1 season, so I'm not counting Groh) with a greater than .500 winning record was Bill Parcells.  That's 18 head coaches since 1960 with overall losing records (I also didn't count Bill Belichick's 0-0 all time record...as impressive as that is ?) .  No wonder this franchise is the NFL's laughing stock.

16 Al Groh* 2000* 16 9 7 0 .563   [19]
17 Herman Edwards 20012005 80 39 41 0 .488 5 2 3   [20]
18 Eric Mangini 20062008 48 23 25 0 .479 1 0 1   [21]
19 Rex Ryan 20092014 96 46 50 0 .479 6 4 2   [22]
20 Todd Bowles 20152018 64 24 40 0 .375   [23]
21 Adam Gase 2019–present 22 7 15 0 .318

List is interesting though reading between some lines. Edwards and Rex had us on the brink. The year 2002 with Chad for Edwards was likely a year we get to the SB if not for the Raiders exposing Chad's weaknesses. And of course Rex had us on the brink with 2 AFC title games both of which we had a good chance in the 2nd half to win and reach the SB. Mangini and Bowles got us 10-6 records in their 1st years and the teams were pretty good. The commonalities with all these cases were that the teams starting going downhill more due to the GMs drafting and FA signings that were well below average causing the coaches to not have enough talent to keep the teams moving up as opposed to moving down. If this team gets good decisions from the GM then the coaches will do much better, so lets hope JD can do that for whatever coach we have next year. Heck last year Gase had the Jets at 7-9 with no Oline and average at best skill position players and a pretty good D. Had Mac just build a better Oline and had maybe a true number 1 WR, then last year even with Sam's Mono we likely get 9-10 wins. Main reason why Gase has to go is this penchant for players overall not wanting to play for him and many of the good players you have forcing their way out due to Gase. That in itself is worse even then the Offensive ineptitude of a game plan or lack there of he brings every week we have to watch. It gives new meaning to the term painting a goal line across a coach/players doorstep to keep them from entering the house. His players also all being hurt all the time is another major issue with him. Don't tell me about depth when you are down to your 4th string players that should be working at UPS.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

I think you're on the money here. The Jets ie., the Johnsons,  have struck me as sensitive to the public perception of the Jets organization. If Gase is back for next year fans will check out. Mind you if the draft Lawrence, football addicts (like some of us here on JN) will continue to rubber neck at everything Jets related.

Woody Johnson was very much like that - CJ has shown to be overly loyal, regardless of public opinion.  We will see who's in charge next year...

But...Public Perception will be all on our new "Generational" QB and the three other picks we'll have in the top 33.  

They'll be plenty to be excited about.

Moreover, I can promise you - this board will be 70% in favor of Gase as Homers are Homers - TL will come out with a statement about how excited he is to work with Gase.  The Jets will come out about how bad the roster was and how he was stifled with injuries..blah, blah and people will be on board.  

To be honest it doesn’t really make sense to fire him.  Yeah, we’ll all get our pound of flesh here but what else does it accomplish?  I don’t want that clown Williams being the coach of this team - if anything he should be canned before Gase.  Fire AG mid season we risk the “rush” like the Falcons and Texans did and will actually win a game.

The damage to Sam is already done. If the first pick lands with the Jets, they’re taking Lawrence.  Sam wasn’t JDs pick, he’ll move on.  

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Yup.

He was part of the rebuild plan - helped architect it.  

They knew they were throwing out garbage this year.  Gase has them convinced none of this is his fault.  Just a few months ago the owners called him a genius. 

IMHO there's still a good chance he's back next year.

No Fing way. Not even the idiot Johnsons are this stupid. 

2 hours ago, Beaver said:

This.

Even if Gase was at one point "in on the tank" he's absolutely going to be the fall guy for this season. He's toxic. Zero chance they can walk into 2021 with him in charge.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

since it’s not clear just how high Johnson’s pain threshold will be if this season continues to devolve.

Pain threshold? 

lol there is none...they know they want to tank and they don’t have to worry about angry fans in the stands or planes flying in the sky....

6 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Gase is a lightning rod, and there are some outside the organization who think this is a big factor. All the heat right now is on him, which takes the pressure off what increasingly looks like a poor offseason and shaky first draft by Douglas. It also distracts from the sticky situation Johnson created by essentially letting his coach have a hand in choosing the GM.

Underrated reason why Gase lasts the season......We all know The Johnson’s and even JD has some explaining to do....as long as Gase is here in his prime form, they don’t have to face any of it.....Gase will continue to take the brunt of the heat from the hyenas aka NY media until he gets put out his misery in January. Gase doesn’t care too much because he’s “Rich as f**k” and will be blowing the Johnsons $$$ on his couch for a couple years ??‍♂️