Adam Gase Isn’t Fooling Anyone; Uses Darnold to Suggest “Unfair” to Judge Offense

JetNation

Adam Gase

Make no mistake about it Jets fans.  Head Coach Adam Gase may have invoked Sam Darnold’s name when suggesting it would be “unfair” to judge the quarterback’s 2020 performance due to injures, but anyone who is paying attention knows exactly what Gase is saying.

Adam Gase said “it’s almost unfair to judge” Sam Darnold because he has yet to play with “the three dudes” who were supposed to start at receiver. #Jets https://t.co/YOBGyOUsbt

— Al Iannazzone (@Al_Iannazzone) October 22, 2020

What Gase really meant was “It’s unfair to judge me and my offense” because as we all know, that’s what Darnold is out there executing on Sundays.  Gase’s unimaginative, mundane 32nd ranked offense.  As Gang Green has yet to have their top three receivers (Breshad Perriman, Jamison Crowder, Denzel Mims) take the field together, Gase is asking for a reprieve.  The funny thing about it is that Gase has a point.

Fans can repeat catch phrases such as “next man up” as much as they like, but if we’re being honest, how many NFL teams wouldn’t struggle mightily if their top 3 receivers spent most of their time on the shelf?  It wouldn’t be fair to judge Gase’s offense this season or last if we take a look at the injuries the Jets suffered in 2019 as well.  But there’s one problem that Gase is forgetting (or omitting) and he would like Jets fans to do the same.  The job he has done as the head coach of the New York Jets has been abysmal in just about every imaginable way when applied to issues that have little to do with who is healthy and who is not.

Time and again we’ve seen Gase throw in the towel with over a full quarter left to go in a game.  Hurry up offense?  Almost as rare as a Jets touchdown.

Injured receivers aren’t forcing Gase to attempt field goals in the fourth quarter of a game in which his team is trailing by 24 points.

It was Gase, not the injuries to his receivers, that put an injured Mekhi Becton on the field after deciding he wasn’t healthy enough to start, leading to further injury and more missed time.

Even if your top receivers are Braxton Berrios and Josh Malone, there’s no reason to call a run play  up the gut on 2nd down and 26.

Pass catchers landing on IR isn’t a reason to run 37-year-old Frank Gore in to the ground in blowout losses while younger backs miss out on valuable game experience.

Your best players don’t take to social media to tell the world that you don’t now how to lead or that they need to be traded because of injured wide receivers.

Treating injured players like second-class citizens does not come as a result of Denzel Mims pulling a hamstring.

Lying to the media about why a player was benched during a scrimmage has nothing to do with Breshad Perriman’s knee.

After picking up the team’s longest run of the year on a 34-yard scamper last week, Ty Johnson wasn’t sent to the bench for the rest of the day because of Jamison Crowder’s groin.

And what about consistently seeing players targeted well short of the sticks on third down?  Is that due to injures as well?  Because that was a staple of Gase’s offense in Miami and one of the biggest knocks he faced when hired by the Jets.  Still doing it years later.

When you start the fourth quarter of a game down by more than 20 points and out in a run-heavy attack with no sense of urgency to get reps for your young QB, that doesn’t fall at the feet of those players who aren’t suited up for one reason or another.  All of this falls on Adam Gase and Adam Gase alone.

So now as he’s on the brink of getting some healthy weapons back, Gase is suggesting injuries should prevent fans (and ownership, of course) from drawing any conclusions as to how the team has performed under his watch, except he’s using Darnold as cover.

Will ownership or the fans fall for it?  That could be an affirmative on the former, but a negative for the latter.

The post Adam Gase Isn’t Fooling Anyone; Uses Darnold to Suggest “Unfair” to Judge Offense appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
fiiWkxM-WJQ

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Well, let's find out. Everyone with a brain knows the old adage that Olines need time to mesh & get on the same page. They had no preseason & they've already shuffled the lineup due to injury in these 1st 6 games. 

I think it's imperative that we finally get a few weeks in a row with all hands on deck to see if Gase can in fact run an offense that can score some points. Let's face up it, we know nothing about Mims or Perriman at this point, Chris Herndon has been an abject failure & can't catch a cold & V.Smith hasn't been around either. Be a shame if Crowder can't go, it's just f*cked up how we get someone back then lose another starter.

We know nothing at this point. Let's get everybody back & see how this thing progresses. I'm interested just to see who stays & who goes in 2021. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, jgb said:

3 years in a row. Still unfair to judge a guy we melted three second rounders in acquiring. Only this effing team.

Well when you put no talent around him, when he hasn't had a qualify OC around him, yeah. 

What does what they traded to move up to get him have to do with anything?  

• Upvote 2

Gase is a genuinely bad HC. But make no mistake, NO HC can win with the Jets current roster. The roster is expansion team bad. I'm not excusing Gase here. But in my honest and humble opinion, it's impossible to judge a player like Sammy when you surround him with the HACKS masquerading as players.

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Well when you put no talent around him, when he hasn't had a qualify OC around him, yeah. 

What do what they traded to move up to get him have to do with anything?  

Because it was a total waste of resources. Now we will be replacing him because we failed to evaluate him. It’s pathetic.

• Post of the Week 2

8 hours ago, jgb said:

Because it was a total waste of resources. Now we will be replacing him because we failed to evaluate him. It’s pathetic.

If he had the talent then it would be worth investing those resources to get him.   The team didnt put the talent around him to get anything of value out of him, didnt put a coaching staff that gets anything close to the most whats available from him, yes it is pathetic.  

Its not the evaluation of Sam Darnold.  There are plenty who when evaluating Sam still think he can become what was predicted for him.  Im not sure that he hasnt been ruined but he is only 23.  There was nothing wrong with the evaluation of Sam.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Ryan tannehill became one of the best QB’s in the league as soon as he got away from Gase.   The real jets curse is when the same thing happens with same on another team. 

I hear ya. Darnold could still improve—maybe even be good. But Tannehill accomplished much more before and under Gase than Darnold ever has. I saw greatness in Tannehill, I just don’t see it in Darnold. Could definitely be wrong just a shame here we are 3 years in and not knowing. Been a sad 3 years.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This ******* guy.

Excuse making and pointing fingers. I’ll never understand how guys with zero leadership qualities or ethics become people managers.

Consequence of Jets org chart and forced marriages. Politics over performance. Blame over responsibility.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

I hear ya. Darnold could still improve—maybe even be good. But Tannehill accomplished much more before and under Gase than Darnold ever has. I saw greatness in Tannehill, I just don’t see it in Darnold. Could definitely be wrong just a shame here we are 3 years in and not knowing. Been a sad 3 years.

Listen, Gase is garbage. 

But Arthur Smith needs a lot of credit for what he is doing in Tennessee. That whole offense turned as soon as he was put at coordinator. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Listen, Gase is garbage. 

But Arthur Smith needs a lot of credit for what he is doing in Tennessee. That whole offense turned as soon as he was put at coordinator. 

Definitely Smith has put guys in best position to succeed. Darnold would be better under Smith no doubt. Just not as good as Tannehill (or even close really) IMHO.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Adam Gase won't be here next year. 

Yes, he will.  2020 will be a mulligan for the New York Jets.  

It should be plainly obvious that the Jets gave up on this season after the first few weeks where a pathetic defense, deep WR injuries, and the annual QB injury took away any chance of the team fighting for a playoff berth.  Adam Gase is part of that strategy.

And with no fans in the stands this season and no ticket invoices being sent this April, it's the perfect time for Christopher Johnson to shut off his phone, turn off his TV, and shut off his car radio while he gives his hand-selected HC and GM the 2021 season to get another draft and free agent period under their belts.

Idzik/Maccagnan destroyed this roster over the course of a decade.  It doesn't get fixed in a single year.  What progress we have made is unknown because of injury.  He's smart enough to know that.

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, jgb said:

Consequence of Jets org chart and forced marriages. Politics over performance. Blame over responsibility.

While I agree these are legit consequences, we also have to consider that this behavior is in his makeup based on his Miami stint. So it’s sort of a double-whammy.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

While I agree these are legit consequences, we also have to consider that this behavior is in his makeup based on his Miami stint. So it’s sort of a double-whammy.

The Jets have 28 players on 1-year contracts so the 2021 Jets will look completely different.  They will also feature players that all get along with Adam Gase as he will have hand-selected those that remain and those that are joining the team.

So this narrative of Gase not getting along with his players won't be an issue at all.  And he will hire an offensive coordinator to handle the playcalling too.  Gase is a good head coach.  He's a good Football Man for the rebuild, the only one we have in the organization.  We are lucky to have him.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

The thing that is great about that situation is that Smith and Vrabel realized that Marriota stinks, and put him on the bench. They decided it, and didn't  need to go through the histrionics that pervades every major decision this damn sh*thole of an organization makes.

Vrabel is turning out to be a great HC.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The Jets have 28 players on 1-year contracts so the 2021 Jets will look completely different.  They will also feature players that all get along with Adam Gase as he will have hand-selected those that remain and those that are joining the team.

So this narrative of Gase not getting along with his players won't be an issue at all.  And he will hire an offensive coordinator to handle the playcalling too.  Gase is a good head coach.  He's a good Football Man for the rebuild, the only one we have in the organization.  We are lucky to have him.

SAR I

I love you, but you really need to start seeing somebody. Please, at least for your family's sake.?

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Well, let's find out. Everyone with a brain knows the old adage that Olines need time to mesh & get on the same page. They had no preseason & they've already shuffled the lineup due to injury in these 1st 6 games. 

I think it's imperative that we finally get a few weeks in a row with all hands on deck to see if Gase can in fact run an offense that can score some points. Let's face up it, we know nothing about Mims or Perriman at this point, Chris Herndon has been an abject failure & can't catch a cold & V.Smith hasn't been around either. Be a shame if Crowder can't go, it's just f*cked up how we get someone back then lose another starter.

We know nothing at this point. Let's get everybody back & see how this thing progresses. I'm interested just to see who stays & who goes in 2021. 

Plus there's probably no major benefit firing Gase mid-season (unless he's destroying Sam's confidence)  other than to satisfy Jet fans who can't stand him (though I have to say that I'm in that group).  It will be interesting to see what Gase can do if we have the main guys (Sam, Mims, Crowder, Becton) in the lineup.  As much as I dislike Gase, I have to admit he has always coached very short-handed (as SAR has repeatedly said).  I still think a legit HC would've kept us competitive (which Gase hasn't done) but I am interested to see if there's a difference.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Plus there's probably no major benefit firing Gase mid-season (unless he's destroying Sam's confidence)  other than to satisfy Jet fans who can't stand him (though I have to say that I'm in that group).  It will be interesting to see what Gase can do if we have the main guys (Sam, Mims, Crowder, Becton) in the lineup.  As much as I dislike Gase, I have to admit he has always coached very short-handed (as SAR has repeatedly said).  I still think a legit HC would've kept us competitive (which Gase hasn't done) but I am interested to see if there's a difference.

This. But unless Gase has an epiphany (not happening). He will be gone.

All that is left is the agony of defeat, and then the misery by some of reading about it on JN.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Yes, he will.  2020 will be a mulligan for the New York Jets.  

It should be plainly obvious that the Jets gave up on this season after the first few weeks where a pathetic defense, deep WR injuries, and the annual QB injury took away any chance of the team fighting for a playoff berth.  Adam Gase is part of that strategy.

And with no fans in the stands this season and no ticket invoices being sent this April, it's the perfect time for Christopher Johnson to shut off his phone, turn off his TV, and shut off his car radio while he gives his hand-selected HC and GM the 2021 season to get another draft and free agent period under their belts.

Idzik/Maccagnan destroyed this roster over the course of a decade.  It doesn't get fixed in a single year.  What progress we have made is unknown because of injury.  He's smart enough to know that.

SAR I

The bolded will be about as accurate as your 5-0 start to the season.

• Post of the Week 4

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

This ******* guy.

Excuse making and pointing fingers. I’ll never understand how guys with zero leadership qualities or ethics become people managers.

You answered your own question. Leaders lead people, and that takes accountability,  charisma, competence, and confidence. Management, in the sense of the term as used by the Military and Public Service, is controlling and directing resources and equipment. Managers need to be meticulous with record keeping and attention to detail. And yes, there are people who are capable of Leading and Managing. 

Gase is not one of them. He thinks if he gets everything perfect on paper and accounts for everything on his playsheet, he has done his job. He forgets it takes Leadership to get buy in and enthusiasm. 

That is what is lacking, and his personality and management style has created a toxic environment on top of a listless effort from the players.

That is why he fails. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

2 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Like the article says, he’s trying to make an excuse for himself. Not buying it. It’s clear that the Jets offense has lacked talent. But it’s even more clear that the Jets offense lacks purpose and creativity. No amount of talent can overcome Gase’s playcalling. Well I guess a HoF QB that calls his own plays can.

I want to see PRIDE take over tomorrow.  A full team mutiny.  Darnold calls the offensive plays and Williamson calls the defensive plays.  A gigantic middle finger to the coaches, FO, and ownership.  We can win without any of them.

Burt Reynolds' memorable movie roles.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I say Gase never gets an NFL job higher than Quality Control Assistant,  IF he ever gets another job after this year. 

SAR says Gase will be back as HC of the NYJ in 2021. 

If he is, Jet_Engine1 will take a year off from this board. ? 

I said that about Bowles,  it's an old boys network.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

I love you, but you really need to start seeing somebody. Please, at least for your family's sake.?

There are more traits of a good head coach than X's and O's.  Gase is an animal.  He's ripped through the Jets organization and is rebuilding it.  Gase is managing a bunch of Idizk/Maccagnan scrubs and overpriced lazy-asses, tons of injuries, impossible to get W's under these circumstances.

In trying times like these on the field, you look for signs of strength off the field.  Gase has shown us that.  More leadership, more decisiveness, more action, more honesty than any head coach since Parcells.  That's what has me, and most Jets fans, encouraged.  

SAR I

• Thumb Down 2

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

There are more traits of a good head coach than X's and O's.  Gase is an animal.  He's ripped through the Jets organization and is rebuilding it.  Gase is managing a bunch of Idizk/Maccagnan scrubs and overpriced lazy-asses, tons of injuries, impossible to get W's under these circumstances.

In trying times like these on the field, you look for signs of strength off the field.  Gase has shown us that.  More leadership, more decisiveness, more action, more honesty than any head coach since Parcells.  That's what has me, and most Jets fans, encouraged.  

SAR I

Sounds like the perfect guy to be our" director of football operations." But not coach. Have him move upstairs, let him and JD pick the new coach, and finally give us a normal organizational structure.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

I said that about Bowles,  it's an old boys network.

Bowles was a successful,  competent, well thought of Defensive Coordinator who was unfortunately promoted above his level of competence.  It happens.

Gase  aside from working as Mannings caddy and gofer for a bit, is a fraud who has never been successful anywhere else,  other than when he had a HOF QB, who functioned as his own OC, to be a yes man to. He was able to Bullsh*t his way into a couple of HC gigs by dazzling 2 of the newest, least informed owners in the NFL, and has been exposed as a talentless hack bereft of the qualities of a leader or the face of an organization (at any level). 

Huge difference.  Bowles is akin to a Wade Phillips.  Gase is Kotite 2.0, but more toxic. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

This is satire....right? LOL 

******* absurd. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Sounds like the perfect guy to be our" director of football operations." But not coach. Have him move upstairs, let him and JD pick the new coach, and finally give us a normal organizational structure.

That works for me.  We need a Football Man at the top, calling all the shots.  I couldn't care less what Gase's title is.  I want him making the decisions.  Johnson is a good-hearted owner, Elhai is an attorney, Douglas is a mild-mannered scout.  Very nice people, but not Football Men.  Belichick or Reid aren't coming here no matter how much money we throw at them.  So Gase is The Man.  Let's let him continue to do his job and reshape this franchise.

SAR I

• Haha 2