College game day Oct 24th...

Beerfish

35 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yep but to defend Fields a little here, while Lawrence seems to be doing more at the LOS, he still attempts a heavy amount of balls at or behind the LOS whereas everything Fields does is down field.  Did he attempt a single pass behind or at the LOS in that half?  And he worked every part of the field at every level.  Over the middle, to the sidelines, posts, slants, seams, he hit them all on the money.  Only incompletion was a drop that Olave had if not for a violent fall.  Otherwise, he was flawless (the penalty ball wasnt a great decision but his receiver fell drawing a flag).  He also carried the ball more than usual that half.  I'd like to see Fields have more responsibility at the LOS from a wannabe scout perspective but why **** with it?  He was flawless and it looked effortless. 

Like you said, 2 great prospects. 

To put it short, it’s not on my list of concerns because I believe Fields can do it (regarding pre-snap stuff).

One thing that has impressed me, particularly on that first TD pass, is I’m finally seeing him look off a safety and go through his progressions.  He had a tendency to REALLY lock on his first read last year. However, that’s starting to look like it was more of a inexperience type of thing because I’ve seen him go through progressions and reads multiple times today.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

To put it short, it’s not on my list of concerns because I believe Fields can do it (regarding pre-snap stuff).

One thing that has impressed me, particularly on that first TD pass, is I’m finally seeing him look off a safety and go through his progressions.  He had a tendency to REALLY lock on his first read last year. However, that’s starting to look like it was more of a inexperience type of thing because I’ve seen him go through progressions and reads multiple times today.

It is very rare, the college qb that actually goes through progressions.

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

If he falls now I absolutely have no problem taking him and giving him time to heal

As long as the medicals check out and no expected long term impact, there is a chance he is available with Seattle's 1 or our early 2.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

If he falls now I absolutely have no problem taking him and giving him time to heal

Is it sad, that as soon as I saw the news, I was like "Hmmm....wonder if he drops to the second"?

Terrible news for the kid, but I would absolutely love him out of the slot. 

• Upvote 1

Watching some condensed version of Clemson/Ohio State games, and I gotta be honest.  I'm not sure I'd be all that upset if we traded down from 1 to 2 and picked up Fields.  I think Lawrence is ahead because he looks to have a better arm overall, and an ability to read the field, but Fields looks amazing as well.  Only thing that really worries me about Fields is just how wide open some of these guys are.  However, Lawrence seems to throw a ton of passes behind the LoS too.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, win4ever said:

Watching some condensed version of Clemson/Ohio State games, and I gotta be honest.  I'm not sure I'd be all that upset if we traded down from 1 to 2 and picked up Fields.  I think Lawrence is ahead because he looks to have a better arm overall, and an ability to read the field, but Fields looks amazing as well.  Only thing that really worries me about Fields is just how wide open some of these guys are.  However, Lawrence seems to throw a ton of passes behind the LoS too.  

This is what worries me about both of these guys.  They play so many games against completely overmatched defenses, clean pockets, open receivers.  How are they going to adjust to the NFL when they will be pressured regularly and throwing to much tighter windows.  I refer to it as Matt Leinart syndrome, when everything in college is just too easy, its hard to know how a guy will adjsut to less than ideal conditions of the NFL.

I am still happily taking either guy if they are on the board when wee pick, but there is no such thing as a slam dunk surefire future franchise QB when it comes to the draft.  Whoever we have at QB, we need to give him a better chance than we have given Darnold so far.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

So, this was really ruled a good 2 point covnersion.  In OT, giving IU the win over Penn State.  I am no Penn State fan, but it sure looked like the ball hit out of bounds before touching the pylon.

Looks like the ball could’ve crossed the goal line before going out of bounds tho, tough to overturn. Great game either way 

This is what worries me about both of these guys.  They play so many games against completely overmatched defenses, clean pockets, open receivers.  How are they going to adjust to the NFL when they will be pressured regularly and throwing to much tighter windows.  I refer to it as Matt Leinart syndrome, when everything in college is just too easy, its hard to know how a guy will adjsut to less than ideal conditions of the NFL.
I am still happily taking either guy if they are on the board when wee pick, but there is no such thing as a slam dunk surefire future franchise QB when it comes to the draft.  Whoever we have at QB, we need to give him a better chance than we have given Darnold so far.

Yeah I was watching OSU and there is like no one around these guys. I'm so used to seeing like two defenders run right through the blockers. It's Paramount that we invest on the interior line. I really love Wyatt Davis, but he won't make it to the Seattle pick. I'm hoping Clark can be good for us this year.

If we can go QB, G( or tackle), WR in the first three picks, I'd be happy.
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Man.  When is Nebraska ever going to be great again?  I got into CFB around the time of those old Osborne era teams.  Three yards and a cloud of steroids.  Moving to the Bjg Ten did them no favors. Well at least they looked decent for about them minutes today.

They should just move them to the AFC Central. Same thing or even lesser comp, no?

(I'm just teasing don't get mad)

55 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

They should just move them to the AFC Central. Same thing or even lesser comp, no?

(I'm just teasing don't get mad)

Never seen somebody so obsessed with taking out one part of a conversation.  You do realize my point wasn't that Herbert wouldn't have flopped given the exact situation.  But that Herbert had been through a hugely adverse situation in college.  

You're point is that the NFL experience is completely different. Okay,.  But a college qb's own prior experience can have a huge effect and help dictate their whole pro career. And given Herbert had exactly zero pre season games and a lack of prep time when he started as an NFL QB.   It shows that being exposed to such a desperate array of offensive schemes with a lot of his own input (Oregon didn't really have a QB coach) ... had a huge effect.   He had to digest LA's entire offense cold in one streamlined post COVID camp. And It's not like he's been losing under Andy Reid and Eric Bieniemy.  It's Anthony Lynn and  Shane Steichen.  

Sam's career has has stalled.  He isn't playing well.  Herbert went throgh a wife range of results in college but is excelling now.  Both situations are true.   Both have faced adversity.  My point stands.  Their individual experiences despite competitive fields led to what they are now.

8 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Never seen somebody so obsessed with taking out one part of a conversation.  You do realize my point wasn't that Herbert wouldn't have flopped given the exact situation.  But that Herbert had been through a hugely adverse situation in college.  

You're point is that the NFL experience is completely different. Okay,.  But a college qb's own prior experience can have a huge effect and help dictate their whole pro career. And given Herbert had exactly zero pre season games and a lack of prep time when he started as an NFL QB.   It shows that being exposed to such a desperate array of offensive schemes with a lot of his own input (Oregon didn't really have a QB coach) ... had a huge effect.   It's not like he's been losing under Andy Reid and Eric Bieniemy.  It's Anthony Lynn and  Shane Steichen. 

Sam's career has has stalled.  He isn't playing well.  Herbert was a wife range of results in college but is excelling now.  Both situations are true.   Both faced have adversity.  My point stands.  Their individual experiences despite competitive fields led to what they are now.

Name a first round QB that came into a worse situation to start their career. 

1 minute ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I didn't read any of what you just wrote. Sorry. It's just too long.

Then why the hell did you reply to a post about a completely unrelated thread that had absolutely no bearing on what I was talking about.  You're gloating on some random point I can't fathom.  When you want to talk football on Sunday then I'll humor you.  This sh*t is pointless.

3 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Then why the hell did you reply to a post about a completely unrelated thread that had absolutely no bearing on what I was talking about.  You're gloating on some random point I can't fathom.  When you want to talk football on Sunday then I'll humor you.  This sh*t is pointless.

No, you're right, I'm sorry, I actually knew a Junior High School QB with similar problems to Sam and he turned out fine.