Michael Thomas available for trade?

JD doesn't seem like a guy looking to part with Draft picks these days, especially for a player that will cost big $$$.

A .500 type team with playoff hopes that missing a WR1 makes that kind of trade.  Not a winless team that still thinks it needs to upgrade 15 of its 22 starters between O and D.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, adb280z said:

Based on what?  He's avg 120 catches/year.  He's every bit as good as people think.  He had 91 catches for a 1st down last year, about the same as the Jets top 3 combined.

I get it, hes been stuffing the stat sheet. Not saying he wouldn’t automatically be a valuable asset to our offense. We definitely need a boost... I’m just saying his production is in part a product of his role in and out of the slot in the offense. Great hands but separation sometimes could be better. Big salary if I remember and a potential high pick. Couldn’t fault it but not sure I would pull the trigger. 

Great player HOF trajectory, he’s not coming here. Plus how many catches will he get in the Adam Gase offence, 50 a year? - Gase hates any player with a high profile, they get traded or cut. Plenty of options in 2021 when the cap falls and we are a ton of cash. Most teams will have to cut players to get under the cap. 

18 hours ago, nycdan said:

Saints are in absolute cap hell next season.  LIke $82M OVER the cap.  I think Brees retires and they go total rebuild.  Thomas carries a $23M cap charge next year but only $12.6M of salary and 4 years remaining on his contract.  I would actually throw the SEA pick at them for Thomas without blinking.  What better way to fix the WR core overnight than arguably the best WR in football.  

Thats the 2nd time.

After their Super Bowl win the Saints were in fire sale mode. Yes, Brees is done. His arm cant handle a 16 game season anymore and you can see his passes turn into wounded ducks towards the end of the year.

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

JD doesn't seem like a guy looking to part with Draft picks these days, especially for a player that will cost big $$$.

I actually feel the opposite, granted this trade in particular is going to cost quite a bit more than I believe he has planned. I think JD is going to be trading late round picks to teams looking to shed good players on bad contracts since it will be much harder to attract them via FA. 

Thomas is the perfect type of player we should be bringing in after the season. I'd trade Sam for him straight up or Sam and a 3rd, whatever gets it done. Would also be fine with Seattle's 1st but I think NO is going to be in on the Sam sweepstakes along with Pitt and Indy.

• Upvote 1

Normally I would say go for it.  I'm watching the Rays in the World series and thinking winning isn't about high priced players its about talent evaluation, development and making adjustments.  Tampa's payroll is less than 1/3 of both the Yankees and Dodgers payroll.  Different game but basically the same principle.  The Jets future isn't based on one guy, it's based on a 53 man team and how it's built by management.  

Michael Thomas doesn't make the Jets remotely good.  He could be a piece that when we're good could make us really good.  I don't think that time is now.  We may have a new HC and a new QB going into next year.  Were likely better next year but better might be 5 to 6 wins with or without Thomas.

• Upvote 2

geezus H crykes!   If Thomas is on the block and N'Orlins will take the Jamaal Adams Seattle pick --------------------------------------------------------------------> you go get him.    Thomas is top 5 WR in the NFL.  THe only one I like better is Nuke and that's it.

End of story.

• Post of the Week 1

19 hours ago, choon328 said:

Lol.  Jets fans never want to get better on offense. Theres always an excuse. Who would want the best WR in the nfl? Not Jets fans. So ridiculous

Exactly, we're paying no one right now. Hell, you trade for Thomas you could still take Trevor at #1 if you get the 1st pick, keep Darnold, build his trade value and not throw Lawrence to the wolves. You could still end up getting a boatload of picks for Darnold if he balls out & compete for a playoff berth. 

11 hours ago, David Harris said:

I’d do The Seahawks number one and our number three

Eventually...you've got to pay SOMEONE. Why not be a top 5 WR? Thomas is MONEY on 3rd down! Can you imagine if Mims turns into a beast & you had Thomas & drafted Chase, Ettiene & Pitts? 

Shwing! 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I would proceed with a lot of caution on this one. You have a guy who is in the conversation for best WR in the league on a team that is basically superbowl or bust with Brees likely on his last season and they're trading him mid-season? 

I get the cap implications and that makes is kind of reasonable from their perspective but again, this should be an "all-in" season for them. 

Something stinks here.

I have to agree. There are rumors (confirmed by Lombardi) that here is "something not right" in the Saints locker room. This certainly bears watching.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Eventually...you've got to pay SOMEONE. Why not be a top 5 WR? Thomas is MONEY on 3rd down! Can you imagine if Mims turns into a beast & you had Thomas & drafted Chase, Ettiene & Pitts? 

Shwing! 

You said the same thing about Bell... just saying 

6 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

The Jamal trade doesn't outweigh all the other nonsense.  Hope he changes my mind, but not impressed.  

The becton pick alone should at least take the clown nose off of your avatar no? lol 

We have to give this guy real time. He's doing the dirty work. 

What about the other trades? He's been excellent at gaining value for his assets imo.  This rookie class needs to get healthy, but it's packed full of potential studs. Mims, Hall, Clark and obviously Becton have honest to goodness stud muffin potential. We gotta get a real coaching regime in here to see but the talent is there. 

You just wait and see ? 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Jimmy graham was a hall of famer with drew brees throwing the ball to him and has been not so great everywhere else he has gone...I'd be cautious with this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

He won’t produce as much without Brees for sure. But his hands are what makes him great. They’re coming with him.