AFJF

Darnold/Lawrence options  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Pick an option

• Trade Sam now, get a 2nd
    • Trade him after you know you have pick no 1
    • Showcase him next preseason to drive up value

Would you:

- Trade Darnold now, likely getting a 2nd round pick and securing 0-16 to draft Lawrence

or

- Trade him prior to the draft when they know if they'll have the no. 1 pick

or

- Keep him for now, draft Lawrence at no. 1, showcase Sam next preseason with new head coach and try to pump his value back to 1st round (possibly more) compensation

You forgot two options:

-  Trade him prior to the draft when they know they have the No. 1 pick and assurance that Lawrence will play in New Jersey.

-  Keep him, trade the No. 1 pick to a team for a haul of picks and their franchise quarterback, and let Darnold and Tannehill battle it out in camp next season.

SAR I

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You forgot two options:

-  Trade him prior to the draft when they know they have the No. 1 pick and assurance that Lawrence will play in New Jersey.

-  Keep him, trade the No. 1 pick to a team for a haul of picks and their franchise quarterback, and let Darnold and Tannehill battle it out in camp next season.

SAR I

Tannehill has a 4 year contract with the Titans!  WTF are you talking about?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

"Showcase" Darnold, lol.  Yeah, that'll work swell.

Trade him now, or early in the offseason.  Whenever you can get the most back that you can.

This showcase would happen with an improved head coach and supporting cast, BTW.  And while Lou Holtz and a picuture of Bear Bryant would be an upgrade over Gase and Patton Oswolt, I'm thinking Todd Monken or David Shaw.  

14 minutes ago, AFJF said:

This showcase would happen with an improved head coach and supporting cast, BTW.  And while Lou Holtz and a picuture of Bear Bryant would be an upgrade over Gase and Patton Oswolt, I'm thinking Todd Monken or David Shaw.  

Darnold sucked under Bowles/Bates, too.  No one is "showcasing" Darnold.  The league has a pretty good idea of what he is at this point.  

The longer you wait to trade him, the more his value will drop.  Period.  Waiting until preseason is silly too, since you'd be opting for 2022 picks over 2021 picks.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

Darnold sucked under Bowles/Bates, too.  No one is "showcasing" Darnold.  The league has a pretty good idea of what he is at this point.  

The longer you wait to trade him, the more his value will drop.  Period.  Waiting until preseason is silly too, since you'd be opting for 2022 picks over 2021 picks,

Plus, who cares what’s in this organization’s best interest. They should be punished for how they handled Darnold. Trade him away from this disaster ASAP and learn a lesson. No reason to put him through more and we already botched the situation as badly as possible. We need to move on ASAP.

Even if we don’t get the #1 pick and Lawrence, we still have to actually build something that resembles a team. Darnold is 100% not a part of the future from timing of contract alone. Chalk it up as a loss and take what you can get. 

• Upvote 2

The longer you wait to trade him, the more his value will drop.  Period.  Waiting until preseason is silly too, since you'd be opting for 2022 picks over 2021 picks.

Looked like  a stud down the stretch of his rookie year.  Then Gase showed up.  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Looked like  a stud down the stretch of his rookie year.  Then Gase showed up.  

No, he did not.  Even at his best Darnold put up about league average numbers or a little below average.  That's been proven in many threads on here. 

And you don't get to cherry pick and remove the bad games, anyways.  Being a franchise QB means being consistent.  Not just being good for 4-8 games a season against weak competition.  When it comes to winning division titles or playoff games, you don't get to just count the games against the weaklings.

• Thumb Down 1

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Forget that thinking of trading Darnold before you have another solid prospect in place at QB. Would any of you quit a job without having another one?. It would be the same thing and is not very smart. Keep Darnold at least until directly after the draft or after the Jets pick a QB in the draft then trade him after that. Heck round 1 is the 1st day with rounds 2 and 3 the day after, so you could draft Lawrence on day 1 and trade Darnold after that for a day 2 pick in the same 2021 draft.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Forget that thinking of trading Darnold before you have another solid prospect in place at QB. Would any of you quit a job without having another one?. It would be the same thing and is not very smart. Keep Darnold at least until directly after the draft or after the Jets pick a QB in the draft then trade him after that. Heck round 1 is the 1st day with rounds 2 and 3 the day after, so you could draft Lawrence on day 1 and trade Darnold after that for a day 2 pick in the same 2021 draft.

The Jets will be picking top 3 in a 3-QB class.  That's a good enough reason to trade Darnold ASAP.

He's not going to be on the roster in 2022 either way, so why wait?  Even in the unlikely event we don't end up with a QB out of this next draft, you just throw James Morgan or Mike White under center, or go with a veteran option.  Trading Darnold does not require having a replacement right away.  And keeping him around in 2021 just guarantees we lose him for nothing but a comp pick.

25 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, he did not.  Even at his best Darnold put up about league average numbers or a little below average.  That's been proven in many threads on here. 

And you don't get to cherry pick and remove the bad games, anyways.  Being a franchise QB means being consistent.  Not just being good for 4-8 games a season against weak competition.  When it comes to winning division titles or playoff games, you don't get to just count the games against the weaklings.

It's not fantasy football.  Can't put up numbers no matter the supporting cast.  

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Hey, life isn't fair.  QB's tend to get drafted early by bad teams.  Hasn't stopped a guy like Justin Herbert from balling out right out of the gates year as a rookie.  He already has half as many 300+ yard games (2) AND just one fewer 3+ TD games (2) as Darnold has had in his entire career to date (4 and 3, respectively). 

The point is, if the absolute best we've seen out of Darnold is league average or a little below, in 3 seasons, then he isn't a franchise guy.  Sorry.  The bar for "stud" level play is quite low around here, apparently.  

He also can't stay healthy, which is an important problem to note.  How can you trust a guy who has yet to play a full season?  It's better to trade him early before he inevitably gets hurt/sick again.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

IF Lawrence would play for the Jets, I would hold on to Sammy and put him in a straight up QB competition with Lawrence.

that's a waste of time you would be taking valuable reps from Lawrence.  trade Sam before the draft so u can add more pieces  that can help now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hey, life isn't fair.  QB's tend to get drafted early by bad teams.  Hasn't stopped a guy like Justin Herbert from balling out right out of the gates year as a rookie.  He already has half as many 300+ yard games (2) AND just one fewer 3+ TD games (2) as Darnold has had in his entire career to date (4 and 3, respectively). 

The point is, if the absolute best we've seen out of Darnold is league average or a little below, in 3 seasons, then he isn't a franchise guy.  Sorry.  The bar for "stud" level play is quite low around here, apparently.  

He also can't stay healthy, which is an important problem to note.  How can you trust a guy who has yet to play a full season?  It's better to trade him early before he inevitably gets hurt/sick again.

Herbert has WAY better skill players than Darnold has ever really had. 

But at this point, the damage is done. Darnold just needs to get the hell away from this organization and save his sanity. 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What value.

You just said the league knows what he is, and what he is is "not worth keeping".

I don't see NFL GM's lining up to give us meaningful comp for a guy not worth keeping.

He has no trade value, you keep him, and play him, till whatever time we have someone better.  He's cheap and already here.  And more entertaining than f'ing Flacco.

3 hours ago, Joejet said:

Tannehill has a 4 year contract with the Titans!  WTF are you talking about?

There is a scenario where an NFL team with an established quarterback wants to get younger and/or thinks they need an upgrade and/or falls in love with Lawrence.   So QB's like Garroppolo, Tannehill, Ryan, Foles, Wentz, etc. could all become available in a trade down for picks. 

So if Darnold busts and Lawrence doesn't want to come to New Jersey, the Jets get a bonafide starting quarterback from the team that wants the top pick.  I'd take Wentz plus a bunch of 1s and 2s instead of Lawrence and no haul.  It's the fastest way back to the playoffs, probably safer too.

SAR I

In your initial proposal you said Tannehill who is 32. Right now they are undefeated and look to be a playoff team whose #1 pick will probably be mid20s or higher. If they were to get Lawrence and he studs out like everyone assumes he will any future picks would fall into the same category. Wentz has looked very poorly off and on and has been injury prone. I’m not sure how this is the safer way. The best way would be to fire our coach, bring in as stud QB and build around him with draft picks that we already have and fill other needs with smart free agent choices.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

There is a scenario where an NFL team with an established quarterback wants to get younger and/or thinks they need an upgrade and/or falls in love with Lawrence.   So QB's like Garroppolo, Tannehill, Ryan, Foles, Wentz, etc. could all become available in a trade down for picks. 

So if Darnold busts and Lawrence doesn't want to come to New Jersey, the Jets get a bonafide starting quarterback from the team that wants the top pick.  I'd take Wentz plus a bunch of 1s and 2s instead of Lawrence and no haul.  It's the fastest way back to the playoffs, probably safer too.

SAR I

Wentz and Darnold are the same guy aren’t they? They play almost exactly the same. Few great plays, few mediocre, few WTF is he thinking?

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

Glen heard you mention this on the podcast, Intereting thought but only way to go is....if jets get first pick you pick Lawrence Then trade sam....can’t keep sam and Lawrence under any circumstance.  Sam will succeed in a place like Pitt or Indy...

when we look back in 20 yrs this team will have drafted 2 stud qbs sam and Lawrence 

31 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

It's gonna be great when Lawrence refuses to play for the Jets. This board will be rockin'

Yeah, that would be great.

Start celebrating today.  

What a fan base we have, expecting players to turn us down.  For another losing team no less

• Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, that would be great.

Start celebrating today.  

What a fan base we have, expecting players to turn us down.  For another losing team no less

What a fanbase we have, sh*tting on the head of nearly every player that plays for it. 

Combine that with years of incompetence, bad ownership, horrible coach, jury out on the GM, yeah, I'd say another losing team would look rosy

4 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

What a fanbase we have, sh*tting on the head of nearly every player that plays for it. 

Combine that with years of incompetence, bad ownership, horrible coach, jury out on the GM, yeah, I'd say another losing team would look rosy

Wake up and look around the NFL, its done the same way, everywhere.  Do the pats treat their vets well?  Pay them what they're worth?  How about the Giants, the Browns, the other teams that suck, do they treat their players well or just like every other team does?  

Incompetence can go away in a year.  Bring in a HC, draft well and use the heaps of FA money we have.  Tell me how the other losing teams you admire stack up to that.

Take KC.  They have one more SB than the Jets.  Their last was 1970, Jets 1969.  Counting the last SB, a year ago, from 1970 to now I'd bet the Jets have more playoff appearances and more playoff wins.  The Bills have 0 SB wins.  Have been to the playoffs what, 2xs since the 90s, havent won a playoff game since 98 or earlier?  The fins?  Browns?  Lions?  How many SBs have the Vikes won?  Falcons?  Stop crying it could be worse

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Wake up and look around the NFL, its done the same way, everywhere.  Do the pats treat their vets well?  Pay them what they're worth?  How about the Giants, the Browns, the other teams that suck, do they treat their players well or just like every other team does?  

Incompetence can go away in a year.  Bring in a HC, draft well and use the heaps of FA money we have.  Tell me how the other losing teams you admire stack up to that.

Who admires them? Not me. I think it would be amusing if the fans dealt with 1 or 0 wins and Lawrence told the Jets to kick bricks. I'm on message boards mainly for the angst.