AFJF

Darnold/Lawrence options  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Pick an option

• Trade Sam now, get a 2nd
    • Trade him after you know you have pick no 1
    • Showcase him next preseason to drive up value

2 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

Who admires them? Not me. I think it would be amusing if the fans dealt with 1 or 0 wins and Lawrence told the Jets to kick bricks. I'm on message boards mainly for the angst. 

So tell me Jets fan, what would be amusing? 

Unless youre not a jets fan, then who gives a F

2 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

Everyone twisting themselves in knots if Lawrence took a pass. I look at it as, "life goes on" and "the Jets could deal that pick for more picks and rebuild even better"

I dont think anyone who has thought this through thinks that Lawrence will take a pass from the NFL.

10 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

From the Jets. Force his way to another team. It's happened a couple of times. Unlikely? Yes. But it's the Jets, so never say never!
Didn't some Manning guy do this? 

happened with Elway because he had baseball as a threat to go to the Yankees, who drafted him

SD didnt have to move Eli, only did because they took Rivers in return plus picks.  Eli didn't want to go to SD, no one knows he wouldn't have gone.  

Jim Kelly actually said he wouldn't go, wouldn't report to Buffalo.  Eli didnt actually come out and say it, and Kelly reported 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gibby said:

Wentz and Darnold are the same guy aren’t they? They play almost exactly the same. Few great plays, few mediocre, few WTF is he thinking?

You are putting Darnold and Wentz in the same category?  LOL.  One was tracking to be league MVP.  The other barely holding onto his job.

SAR I

16 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You are putting Darnold and Wentz in the same category?  LOL.  One was tracking to be league MVP.  The other barely holding onto his job.

SAR I

Was being the key word

Four long years ago.  

Two talented QBs struggle though a lack of talent.  One lacking an OC and HC for bonus points

23 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

That was a long time ago. LOL. His team now sucks because he now sucks. So yeah- I am.

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Was being the key word

Four long years ago.  

Two talented QBs struggle though a lack of talent.  One lacking an OC and HC for bonus points

I don't disagree, and I don't want Wentz.  I'm merely saying that there is a very realistic scenario where a) Darnold busts, b) Lawrence refuses to come, and c) the trade down scenario will also leverage someone else's NFL starting quarterback.

We can't walk away from the draft with a busted Darnold and no Lawrence and no haul for a major trade that includes a QB1.  That's all I'm saying.  When you look at the teams we could trade with that would be looking to upgrade at QB and have a QB worth considering, it looks like:

Garroppolo
Wentz
Tannehill
Ryan
Foles
Stafford
Carr
Goff
Cousins

If Darnold busts and if Lawrence says no, we need to walk away with one of these guys.  And we can if their team's don't value them and Gase does.  Try again with Stafford or Tannehill and multiple 1s and 2s to rebuild the rest of the roster.  That is better than Darnold and a few more 6th rounders or Lawrence and no 1s and 2s.

SAR I

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hey, life isn't fair.  QB's tend to get drafted early by bad teams.  Hasn't stopped a guy like Justin Herbert from balling out right out of the gates year as a rookie.  He already has half as many 300+ yard games (2) AND just one fewer 3+ TD games (2) as Darnold has had in his entire career to date (4 and 3, respectively). 

The point is, if the absolute best we've seen out of Darnold is league average or a little below, in 3 seasons, then he isn't a franchise guy.  Sorry.  The bar for "stud" level play is quite low around here, apparently.  

He also can't stay healthy, which is an important problem to note.  How can you trust a guy who has yet to play a full season?  It's better to trade him early before he inevitably gets hurt/sick again.

I believe context matters.  I believe Gase can single handedly hold a QB back.  We saw it with Tannehill and we're seeing it now with Darnold.

I wouldn't say those performances late in his rookie season were league average.  Looked fantastic against GB and Houston late in the season despite having to work with a Bowles/Bates combo.  

I would suspect though that the Jets FO is more in line with your thinking and we'll see him play great elsewhere.

Darnold is going with or without TL.  

Sam is not JD's guy - he has already moved on from him. 

I have no idea who will be the starting QB for the Jets next year but it assuredly won't be Sam Darnold.

Trade him now or later - get the best you can. 

I suspect just before the draft you'll get the most - teams will have a choice between Darnold or whatever QB they would take in the first round.  Sam will almost certainly be a better prospect to a team with a mid-to-late first round pick that needs a QB.

19 hours ago, KINGDIRK said:

I’m so desperate for Lawrence. Even though I know we should hold Darnold in case we don’t land number 1 pick, I would roll the dice baby! Trade him now. Our chances to win a game or two falls and see what happens. 

What did Lawrence ever do to you to make you want him to come here and get crushed? 

58 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

I think the only thing that’s going to get this franchise on the right track is for us to hit on an uber prospect like Lawrence. 

I just don’t see if. This franchise is busted from the top down. Sam wasn’t as good a prospect as Trevor, but he’s just gotten worse and I’m not sure any QB prospect can succeed with this toilet brush of a NFL franchise. I think the team a blue chip prospect go’s to  is as much if not more important than the inherent talent level of said player. 

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I just don’t see if. This franchise is busted from the top down. Sam wasn’t as good a prospect as Trevor, but he’s just gotten worse and I’m not sure any QB prospect can succeed with this toilet brush of a NFL franchise. I think the team a blue chip prospect go’s to  is as much if not more important than the inherent talent level of said player. 

The Jets have 28 players on 1-year deals and 9 picks in the first three rounds in the next 2 drafts.

By the time Trevor starts his second season, you're looking at 3-4 players from this current roster carrying over, all the rest will be completely new to the team.

So Trevor could thrive here.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The Jets have 28 players on 1-year deals and 9 picks in the first three rounds in the next 2 drafts.

By the time Trevor starts his second season, you're looking at 3-4 players from this current roster carrying over, all the rest will be completely new to the team.

So Trevor could thrive here.

SAR I

At best Trevor will be in at very least   his third season here before this roster is ready to support a young FQB. That’s if everything go’s right and we know damn well barely anything  seems to go right here as of late. What year is Sam in?  Yeah that’s kinda how it go’s. 

If you draft TL believing he is a better prospect than SD, the smart move is to keep Sam and let him start the season at QB.  It is always a benefit to let a rookie sit for a few games and learn the pro football world.

The Jets will be in a strong position to upgrade their many weaknesses.  In what is likely to be a very tight cap year, Jets have money to spend.  After drafting TL, they still have a 1st, a 2nd and 2 3rds to work with.  Rather than a balanced approach to the draft, they should focus on WR and OL.  If they can significantly build the offense, it affords SD the best opportunity to prove his many critics wrong.  If so, then you can trade the 2nd QB for maximum value.

If SD flops with a stronger offense, you quickly move to TL.  And I don't think you lose that much value in a SD trade.

12 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

At best Trevor will be in at very least   his third season here before this roster is ready to support a young FQB. That’s if everything go’s right and we know damn well barely anything  seems to go right here as of late. What year is Sam in?  Yeah that’s kinda how it go’s. 

Darnold suffered from Maccagnan and Bowles.  Trevor will thrive under Douglas and Gase.  Ya gotta believe.

SAR I

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Darnold suffered from Maccagnan and Bowles.  Trevor will thrive under Douglas and Gase.  Ya gotta believe.

SAR I

Darnold actually played better under Bowie’s and has looked awful under Gase, pretty consistent with most players Adam coached. Verdict is out on Douglas but early returns seem he’s a step up from what we have but won’t have the juice to push us past the Johnson’s influence. As long as Chris and Woody hold the puppet strings this franchise will flounder. They both need full jobs that have nothing to do with the day to day running of the Jets and give a real GM the reigns. It might be Douglas but no way to tell until those two step away. 

21 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, he did not.  Even at his best Darnold put up about league average numbers or a little below average.  That's been proven in many threads on here. 

And you don't get to cherry pick and remove the bad games, anyways.  Being a franchise QB means being consistent.  Not just being good for 4-8 games a season against weak competition.  When it comes to winning division titles or playoff games, you don't get to just count the games against the weaklings.

Yeah, totally average against GB in his rookie year.

17 hours ago, thebuzzardman said:

It's gonna be great when Lawrence refuses to play for the Jets. This board will be rockin'

Lawrence has never said that he wont go to NY Jets.

I didnt want to being this up, but you guys have given me no choice. Lawrence is a fan of the orange man who is from NY. Your owner works for the orange man. Lawrence does not strike me as a beech who would back out of a deal. The team that picks # 1 typically needs a QB.

3 hours ago, Francis Sawyer 37 said:

Lawrence has never said that he wont go to NY Jets.

I didnt want to being this up, but you guys have given me no choice. Lawrence is a fan of the orange man who is from NY. Your owner works for the orange man. Lawrence does not strike me as a beech who would back out of a deal. The team that picks # 1 typically needs a QB.

Sorry, I don't care about the Cheeto Jesus