Jetsfan80

Justin Herbert

N is really low to be making any extrapolation on Herbert.

This many games in Sanchez looked like Steve Young Jr. and had already beaten the Patriots at home. 

I hope Herbert keeps it up cause the league needs players like him, but it's early...

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This many games in and Sanchez had failed to reach 200+ yards in 3 of his first 4 starts, completed just 57 % of his throws, and had a 4 TD / 5 INT ratio.

He never looked like Steve f**king Young.  

You know what I meant. Those came right after a run of games looking great just like Herbert. We had to live through I don't know how many threads about how Daniel Jones and Baker passed the eye test early. 

This is the way of Jet fan boards.

36 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Oof.

Cynical. You cut that a week earlier and Sanchez was 3-0, with 4 TDs/2INTs and Jets fans and media were in love with him and Rex's Jets. He threw for only 170 yards against the Patriots week 2 but picked up a ton of 3rd downs and that was a huge win. The wheels absolutely came off from there and he was wearing a wristband with instructions like a month later.

Herbert is clearly very talented, and I hope he holds up (he's very fun to watch), but patience is a virtue when it comes to evaluating rookies early.

24 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

This guy is redefining the standard of success for a rookie QB.

It's unreal. He's literally walked into the league, and played at an elite level from day 1. This is NOT normal. At all.

And this guy took all his snaps in college out of the shotgun. Never called a play, never ran a pro-style offense. Nobody, in their right mind, would have predicted this. 

I don't know to say. I'm speechless. Scouts know nothing about these players, its like their ability to make informed decisions hasn't improved at all. Dart throws. 

Maybe he was held back by never being under center or having limited control at Oregon. Either way, good for him.

16 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Burrow is getting his line blown up on every other play. He's making plays under duress, he doesn't flinch. 

The stats won't always be there, but if they get him some protection, he'll be really good. 

Herbert is a different class though. He's playing at an MVP level, although nobody will care to admit it because they're too shell-shocked by it. 

If i were a coach gameplanning to face Herbert (cough cough), I'd go back and look at the tape that made PFF think he would fail at this level and try to create the scenarios where he struggled (there must be some for him to have gone relatively under the radar like this). 

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Remind me again when Sanchez threw 5 TDS his rookie year? 

Does it matter? He didn't even do that and the press had labeled him the Sanchize and everyone was super excited after the first few weeks. 

Remarkable that it needs to be said that I am not comparing them as players. I could have used Baker or Dimes as the examples - the point is that the league hasn't adjusted yet to Herbert - I hope when they do he continues to perform like this - but a lot of QBs flatter to deceive. (Note: I wrote my original response to this thread before that 70 yard bomb yesterday!).

2 hours ago, predator_05 said:

CBS did an interesting article on this.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chargers-unleash-justin-herbert-heres-why-rookie-qb-has-looked-better-in-the-nfl-than-he-did-at-oregon/

To summarize, the Chargers trust him to make big plays and throw it downfield, especially on early downs. He's had good protection, clean pockets. He was limited by Oregon's play calling his senior year, they used him more as a game-manager. 

Cool! Thanks for sharing that.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company