NY Jets Trade Deadline Predictions

JetNation

You have a real talent for this stuff. Great spot. I started a thread this week saying how Jenkins would be a guy teams might want. Reception on the board wasn’t great, but I still think it could happen. I really like Franklin Meyers, and think he has shown enough that he should be kept. 

35 minutes ago, Bronx said:

The Boys on a win now mode.

Here is what would happen, We would see Sam go to a team with the coach we wanted, with the #1 WR in Lamb that many wanted behind a tremendous offensive line.  Point being everything that Jets fans wanted to support Sam

Nice video. I think some of your trades seem unrealistic in terms of what we can get back. But we will see.

I hope we don’t trade Quinnen, Poole, Crowder, and Franklin-Myers. Those guys are either good are developing. We need players.

The only good players I don’t mind trading are Maye and Williamson. Partly because they are on the last year of their contract and also because we have guys behind them.

• Post of the Week 1

This is what ALL fans should be thinking is a great idea.  Amass as MANY picks as you can over the next couple of seasons, and then you can move up here and there to get a specific player, and move down to always have a great amount of picks.

We as Jets fans want our GM to hit 100 percent of the time on draft picks.  If they miss one, we want them fired.

The reality is, the BEST GM's in the league are hitting at maybe 50 percent.  Is it better to hit 3 picks a year (starters and depth) when you have 7 picks, or is it better to hit 50 percent when you have about 10 picks every year?  

MAYBE that is why Douglas went with so many 1 year contracts...the idea being he will sell-off the good ones and take the picks next year. 

As of right now, we have the following picks in 2021:

2 1st round picks

1 2nd

2 3rds

1 4th

1 5th 

2 6ths 

We also have 2 1sts in 2022, and multiple other picks that year.  IF Douglas pulls off more trades, we could be looking at 12 odd picks in 2021, and over 9 picks in 2022.  

He hits 50 percent of those, this franchise is turned around, with a rookie QB contract for five years.

MAYBE....just MAYBE this guy knows what he is doing.  But we have to see how he drafts.  If Mims plays well the rest of this year, things might be looking up.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, section314 said:

You have a real talent for this stuff. Great spot. I started a thread this week saying how Jenkins would be a guy teams might want. Reception on the board wasn’t great, but I still think it could happen. I really like Franklin Meyers, and think he has shown enough that he should be kept. 

I don't disagree. The issue I see is that he is only playing 33% of the snaps. When guys like that increase the workload they often times start to wane.  He's good in spot duty and could be really attractive to a playoff team who is thin on the DL heading into the second half of the season.  His production could be replicated quite easily in the offseason imo.  The value comes from it being midseason. Teams are looking for players and there just aren't any available outside of trades. 

If we could squeeze a 4th out of Franklin-Myers, I'd take it. 

Thanks for the compliment. It's sincerely appreciated. :) 

I think any new HC that comes in here would want to keep Sammy? What's the rush in trading him? Put him in a straight up QB competition with another young buck. I think the idea of having TWO blue chipper QB prospects is very attractive for any HC candidate. Who could possibly think they know enough about a prospect to say, "Yeah, Sammy is dead weight on the roster"? In a QB driven league you MUST have a good one. Keeping Sammy and drafting someone else is the best possible scenario for a rebuilding team. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Getting Dallas's 1 for Sam would be great move by the Jets right now.

I still have a lot of faith in Sam and think he would thrive in Dallas - but it's clear the Jets have moved on and getting a 1 would be a nice move.

But...It's not happening.  Dallas isn't trading for Sam Darnold.

And the Jets shouldn't be trading Darnold until they know they have the right replacement secured.

• Upvote 2

..just an fyi -

The NFL's trade deadline looms in more than a week, and the league has already seen its share of big moves. Just this week, Yannick Ngakouewas traded again, this time to the Ravens, the Cardinals traded to bring Markus Golden back, and Steve McLendon was traded to the Bucs.

More is on the horizon for Nov. 3. Here is a snapshot look at what to expect and what not to expect.

~ ~  The Jets have been open for business over the past few weeks, but don't expect that to include QB Sam Darnold. At least, not this year. The organization may face a decision on Darnold this offseason depending on where it drafts, but a source says he won't be traded during the season. And though more than a few teams have called inquiring about DT Quinnen Williams, source said it will take much more than the rumored second-round pick for Gang Green to part with him. GM Joe Douglas will consider anything, but for a player as highly regarded as Williams, it's more of a question of, "How many second rounders?"

rest of above article

>  https://www.nfl.com/news/trade-deadline-quinnen-williams-carlos-dunlap-golden-tate

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Darnold is NOT the future of the franchise.  The GM has made that abundantly clear by his actions.  There is zero reason to keep him around.

Who said he was? Darnold's value is at an all-time low. Makes no sense to trade him now as you aren't getting anything in return, and then have nothing but Flacco and Morgan left.

You draft Lawrence if you can, or hopefully worst case, you land Fields. Either way, I don't have any silly thoughts that either one can or should step on the field as the starter Week 1, 2021. Especially not with only one valid offensive lineman on the roster at this point in Becton. I'm not interested in giving a another young kid a case of happy feet or stunting his development in any way by lining him up behind this mess. I don't know how many years of failure it's going to take for people to realize that you don't develop a QB by throwing him into a bad situation. You need a supporting cast that will aid his growth, not one that forces him to develop bad habits and lose confidence. Only when a decent line and some weapons are in place do you let the kid loose. He can sit on the sidelines and learn the playbook for at least half a season.

The Jets aren't going to contend in 2021 either, so you might as well let Darnold be the body that takes the beating next season, with an outside hope that under a new coach, maybe he can build himself into a decent backup or a tradeable piece for 2022.

You don't trade away guys simply because they aren't the "future". You allocate your resources in the smartest way possible and move guys into roles they are bested suited for. You don't make emotional roster decisions. Darnold doesn't need to leave because fans mad. If he goes now, what's your plan for next year? Sign another vet to be the backup to Trevor, and then start him when George Fant gets Lawrence's knee blown up in Week 2?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JetPotato said:

You don't trade away guys simply because they aren't the "future". You allocate your resources in the smartest way possible and move guys into roles they are bested suited for. You don't make emotional roster decisions. Darnold doesn't need to leave because fans mad. If he goes now, what's your plan for next year? Sign another vet to be the backup to Trevor, and then start him when George Fant gets Lawrence's knee blown up in Week 2?

Either way Darnold needs to be traded prior to the 2021 season, preferably prior to/during the draft so we can get 2021 pick(s).  Letting him walk as a FA for nothing after 2021 would not be smart allocation of resources, as you describe above.  

Whether we draft a QB or not, Darnold is not going to be the 2021 starter, so there is zero reason to keep him around.  If a bridge QB is necessary for the season, so be it.  Bring back Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Or role with Morgan/Mike White/other. 

Sitting on potential draft capital would not be smart.  We need to get 2021 pick(s) out of him.  I'd be fine with making that trade at any time Douglas sees fit.

On 10/27/2020 at 10:31 AM, CanadaSteve said:

They win the division easily with Stafford QB'ing that offense.

I dunno, they had the #1 rated offense in the league when dak was playing and they still were losing.  their defense is historically bad right now.  I do think Stafford is really good though and they would score a lot of points.

On 10/25/2020 at 10:47 AM, CanadaSteve said:

MAYBE that is why Douglas went with so many 1 year contracts...the idea being he will sell-off the good ones and take the picks next year. 

I think most GMs do this with the intent of getting comp picks.  It is also why you will see certain guys dangle for some time before being brought back.  The Jets did it a few times with guys like Powell, Ijalana and this year with Jenkins.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I dunno, they had the #1 rated offense in the league when dak was playing and they still were losing.  their defense is historically bad right now.  I do think Stafford is really good though and they would score a lot of points.

Stafford's a better QB than Prescott.  Imagine the number's HE could put up!

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Either way Darnold needs to be traded prior to the 2021 season, preferably prior to/during the draft so we can get 2021 pick(s).  Letting him walk as a FA for nothing after 2021 would not be smart allocation of resources, as you describe above.  

Whether we draft a QB or not, Darnold is not going to be the 2021 starter, so there is zero reason to keep him around.  If a bridge QB is necessary for the season, so be it.  Bring back Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Or role with Morgan/Mike White/other. 

Sitting on potential draft capital would not be smart.  We need to get 2021 pick(s) out of him.  I'd be fine with making that trade at any time Douglas sees fit.

Frankly, you're not going to get much more for Darnold now in a trade than you would in compensatory draft pick. Why would anyone give up significant draft capital for this guy? 

31 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Frankly, you're not going to get much more for Darnold now in a trade than you would in compensatory draft pick. Why would anyone give up significant draft capital for this guy? 

Since we're going to be buyers in free agency the next couple years, I don't expect any comp pick will be coming for Darnold.  Douglas will HAVE to trade him to get anything back at all.  Get 2021 pick(s) rather than waiting for a 2023 comp pick that may never arrive.  

I don't see anything happening that will increase his trade value between now and draft day.  I just think you're likely to get more the earlier you trade him.  The closer you get to the draft, the more GM's value the picks they have.  Thus I would not be against trying to move him at the trade deadline.  

50 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Since we're going to be buyers in free agency the next couple years, I don't expect any comp pick will be coming for Darnold.  Douglas will HAVE to trade him to get anything back at all.  Get 2021 pick(s) rather than waiting for a 2023 comp pick that may never arrive.  

I don't see anything happening that will increase his trade value between now and draft day.  I just think you're likely to get more the earlier you trade him.  The closer you get to the draft, the more GM's value the picks they have.  Thus I would not be against trying to move him at the trade deadline.  

BUYERS?

Come on, man. How many years of NFL do we need to go through to all realize free agency is a garbage way to build? Players that hit the market do so for a reason. 

I don't really believe Sam will do much to build his value up much, either. But again, right now, his value is almost nothing. You also have to factor in the other roster decisions. It's worth a shot. Maybe when he's Gaseless, he'll show someone something that makes them want him. Have to try at least.