#/!# Jets vs Bills - Discussion Thread #/!#

Maxman

3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I don't get how JD is being shielded from this mess by some folks.  Agree that he should be held accountable.

Because most of us actually realize it's far too early to judge JD. He walked into probably one of the worst situations a GM can walk into. If this team still looks this bad 2-3 years from, then I'll be there criticizing JD. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Because most of us actually realize it's far too early to judge JD. He walked into probably one of the worst situations a GM can walk into. If this team still looks this bad 2-3 years from, then I'll be there criticizing JD. 

Just now, Rhg1084 said:

I mean Becton, Perine, Davis and Mims all looked good today. It’s a long process 

Good posts.  I'll defer a bit from my criticism.  But I still think JD should not walk away unscathed from this disaster wrapped in dog doodie season/team.

3 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I mean Becton, Perine, Davis and Mims all looked good today. It’s a long process 

Yeah but like, who’s gonna be envious of any of those jerseys at Vinny Stanzicoli or Colin McDonoughflarrety’s poker night???

GOTTA MAKE SPLASHES IN FREE AGENCY BRO.  GET THE SUPERSTARS.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

The issue with Douglas is no one knows what his actual role is. Is he in charge? Doesnt seem like it. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

If a QB can’t play from the pocket, he won’t ever be good.  Simple.  The mobility and roll-outs are nice crutches to help someone develop while they learn to play from the pocket but if they can’t do it, they aren’t worth building around.

No motion to try to figure out zone/man, nor roll outs, very few RPO, no waggles. Can't know if Gase won't call those because he's a moron or Darnold is so fragile or dumb he cannot handle that. Looked like the TERRIBLE 4TH and 1 early may have been a RPO, but took FOREVER IN A SPOT IT HAS TO HAPPEN FAST. The OL may have issues, but this is a QB issue. If all you're gonna do is line everyone up and run a play straight every down, that's not gonna work in 2020.

26 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

If you can’t make plays when the dogs are sicked on you in this league you’re not a starting QB. Period. 

Gotta be able to side step the blitz and get the ball out. It can be done. The OL is better this year than it's been his whole tenure. At a losst why there's no motion, no rollouts, very few RPOs, no waggles. Think as bad as Gase is. Darnold can only drop back and...no, that's it. He cannot process much else. 

• Upvote 1

Delusional. He thought this could be a competitive roster. His own words. He should be held accountable like anyone else. Worst Jets team in history. Put together by Joe Douglas. 

Yes, all JDs fault. Has nothing to do with 6 straight awful drafts and a garbage roster prior to his arrival. Nothing at all.

This is what a true tear down looks like. A real shame Jets fans don’t have the stomach for it or we would have had one prior to this when it was needed.
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

JD needs to trade him before the deadline. 

At this point I don't give a damn what they get in return. 

Watching SNY and they stated it was his worst performance EVER! So strange since we were in the lead in 1st half and he made a few decent throws. But I had no idea he only threw for 120 yards. Sign Jeremy Kerley. He can do 150 with his eyes closed. 

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Fantastic analysis Kevin, he still looks better than Sam ever has, as a rookie, in an absolutely awful situation.

My point is if and I still don’t think he will, should Trevor come here and we don’t trade the pick for weapons we will still be a 2-14 team Next year 

16 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

My point is if and I still don’t think he will, should Trevor come here and we don’t trade the pick for weapons we will still be a 2-14 team Next year 

Sam Darnold sucks.  If Trevor actually goes back to college, which I highly doubt he will, Fields will be the pick.  Stop pretending that trading the pick to give Sam weapons will change that.

The jets defense did their job in this game. The Bills didn't make it into the end zone. I don't think you can ask more of a defense than that. If one checks the game scores in the league this season, it's relatively easy to see that many teams scored enough in a game to win against an 18 point opponent.

The offense, however, while at last managing to score a flag-free touchdown, continued to field a front line that, instead of an Iron Curtain, resembled a sieve. The only thing they didn't do was roll out a red carpet and set up signs which read "This way to the quarterback -->". Now, that line isn't going to change overnight. There are not enough fingers to plug the holes in that dike. There are weak links to be replaced and some serious coaching needed for the rest. That will take time. Lots of time.

For the rest of the season, there's a partial fix. First, Mr. Samuel Darnold has to be taught to get rid of the football quickly. He should have a 4 second clock running in his head. If he's still holding the ball after 5 seconds, he should take a knee. Play calling should concentrate on short, quick pass plays. Forget the middle and long yardage tosses for the time being. They'll come when the opposing defense is forced to tighten up against the short quickie.

Next week, The Kansas City coach, Mr. Andrew Reid, may decide to rest his first-stringers for the second half. This will at least keep the Jets from dealing with a really bad beating.

That's the view from here.

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Sam Darnold sucks.  If Trevor actually goes back to college, which I highly doubt he will, Fields will be the pick.  Stop pretending that trading the pick to give Sam weapons will change that.

We could get a king ransom for the 1. Rather that then a qb surrounded by a bad team. 

47 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Well if he had an offensive line worth a dang or actual wide receivers he may have a shot 

A good QB won’t hold the ball for three to four seconds while Denzel Mims in uncovered in the flat with room to run for an easy TD.

A good QB won’t miss an easy protection call that I was screaming for from my couch on a free blitzer.

A good QB won’t heave the ball off their back foot into triple coverage or hang onto it for dear life, resulting in a sack.  He’ll throw it away.

The O-Line has not been nearly as bad as some of you think it has been.  They’re winning one on one’s in pass protection but, admittedly, still struggle a bit in run blocking.  However, a lot of the sacks and negative runs we’re seeing are because the QB holds the ball too long, misses blitz pick ups, and can’t see a wide open receiver to save his life, resulting in longer plays.

As for the WR conundrum?  Sam Darnold:

- Missed a wide open Mims for a touchdown in the beginning of the game, and plenty of other times in the second half.

- Got Breshad Perriman killed.

- Missed a wide open Chris Herndon for, what would have been, a 50+ yard catch and run TD.

- Threw a number of dangerous passes into double and triple coverage, 1 of which was a clean pick, and the other was batted for a pick.

Sam has been missing guys, misreading coverages, not picking up the blitz, and not seeing wide open receivers since last year. This group, without Crowder, should have put up 14 more points than they did.  If Sam wasn’t a total moron, he also doesn’t throw the pick before half, taking away 3 points from Buffalo.  The All-22 film isn’t even out yet and we know that that Sam Darnold cost the team 17 points, by himself, in a 8 point loss.  The score should have been, as of now, without the All-22, a 24-15 Jets win. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

How he supposed to stopped doing that with no coaching? Every rook in the league throws that at some point..then a good coaching staff break it down and coach him out fo that. He has not progressed from his first year due to coaching.

You are right that is the case against darnold but I don't blame the kid for being a kid. You think he making those plays if KC drafted him? No way. Reid wouldn't allow it

That's the thing, to succeed here he was going to have to do it on his own. I am not saying it is fair. He was put in the worst possible position.

He will bring back a 2nd rounder, and I think he will have success elsewhere. I don't see how the Jets end up picking anywhere other than 1 overall.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Maxman said:

That's the thing, to succeed here he was going to have to do it on his own. I am not saying it is fair. He was put in the worst possible position.

He will bring back a 2nd rounder, and I think he will have success elsewhere. I don't see how the Jets end up picking anywhere other than 1 overall.

Ain't that the truth

• Upvote 1