Rooting for Sam and a win!

kevinc855

Things I want to see:

1- Darnold play like an NFL QB, run the offense, get the ball out of his hand quickly & accurately, throw the ball way if necessary instead of taking a sack & getting hurt or running out of bounds before the sticks like that idiot Geno Smith.

2- Oline & Becton to play well. Create some lanes for the RBs (more Perine & Ty), plus protect Sam.

3- Mims. Just make 1 play, quick strike snag the ball out of the air, straight arm a CB, ANYTHING to show he can be a playa.

4- I don't give a crap about the defense, they're terrible. Just make enough stops to let the offense get some rhythm. 

• Upvote 2

As much as I have “embraced the tank” I would still like to not go 0-16. So I’ll be rooting for the one win teams to win another game or two or three in the hopes that our jets winning one or two won’t hurt them in pursuit of the number one pick.

its just brutal watching these games, I’d like to cheer for something at some point. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, 82nd Airborne said:

5. Watch a retired kicker and out of the league for 6 years, making 6 field goals. 

If I was a head coach & was 0-6, I'd be going for everytime on 4th & 5 or less everytime I'm over the 50 yard line. But these coaches in the NFL have literally zero balls! If your really TRYING to win, your not kicking FGs down 20 in the 4th quarter. Bizzaro world. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

If I was a head coach & was 0-6, I'd be going for everytime on 4th & 5 or less everytime I'm over the 50 yard line. But these coaches in the NFL have literally zero balls! If your really TRYING to win, your not kicking FGs down 20 in the 4th quarter. Bizzaro world. 

I never understood this. The few times (or frequent for the Jets) that you are a horrible team with nothing to play for, use that opportunity to gamble and take many chances. It’s the perfect time to practice live situational football and sharpen these skills so when you are actually competitive the next year, you are much more comfortable in these situations and even have an edge over the other team.

Gase, Bowles and many other coaches, are giant pussies. It’s comical that they coach in the NFL which despite its neutering is still a sport that is dominated by tough guys.  

• Upvote 4

What would four wins do for us? 
What would 0 wins do for us? Allow us to draft a QB who is "the best since andrew luck?" They have said that about alot of kids coming out of college now...in fact I believe they even said it about darnold. Gase gets fired at the end of the season pretty much no matter what at this point so that argument will be null also.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Haha 1

My hope for the Jets as they face a Bills team that has 'something to prove' is that Mr. Samuel Darnold does not re-injure his shoulder. Next, I would like to again see the Jets play with fewer flags. I rather doubt that the offensive front line has miraculously become less porous, but it would be nice to see fewer sacks as they open the gates for the Bills defensive team.

Perhaps, just perhaps, mind you, the offensive coach has taken time to review the tapes of Super Bowl III's first half. It's a lovely lesson in the use of the quick-release 'buttonhook' pass. It proved to be the weapon which destroyed the opposition -- up until then considered as an impenetrable defense.

And maybe, just maybe, there is a Santa Claus. I'd need odds considerably better than 100-1 before I'd risk more than a potato chip.

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

I want Darnold to shine and our team to gain respect. The whole Lawrence thing is out of wack, hence he threw interceptions in back to back games.

I hope that we can win 4-6 games this year and put this ugly start behind the rear view mirror.

How did 2019 work out for us?

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Could care less about 1 pick or 4th pick. Rooting that sam plays well, Mimms plays well, bechton gets out there and I at least see the skeletons of a future!

Light it up Sam. Prove the haters wrong.

Plus bills mafia Losing to us make for some funny videos

200.gif

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Could care less about 1 pick or 4th pick. Rooting that sam plays well, Mimms plays well, bechton gets out there and I at least see the skeletons of a future!

Light it up Sam. Prove the haters wrong.

Plus bills mafia Losing to us make for some funny videos

In a weird way, I'm with you. I know some will come on here an say, they've seen enough from Sam that even if he comes out and plays well in this game and the rest of the year, he is not 'the guy' and our best bet is to start over with Lawrence if we have a chance to take him. But sometimes you just need the right set of circumstances and if we see him shine with everyone healthy, assuming they axe Gase and JD makes some solid draft picks there could, indeed be a future. 

But the reality is that Lawrence does look like the better athlete and talent. Regardless of how well Sam plays, if the Jets end up with the #1 overall pick they won't pass on Lawrence and objectively you cant blame them.

So I would still not be rooting for wins. I just want the offence to start playing well. I still want Gase fired for the atrocious job he's done all of last season and so far this season. And I want a high draft pick. If we don't end up with #1, I want #2 and the flexibility we would have to draft the 2nd overall talent (Sewell) or trade down with a QB needy team who really liked Fields or Lance. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I would like the number 1 pick but it also would be acceptable for Darold to become a franchise QB.

Is there a universe in which it is possible for both of these things to happen?

Say if the tools around Sam were purposefully terrible but he is provided with just enough protection and play calling to not get killed?  Then sprinkle all of that in with a game or two here or there missed through injuries and then erring on the side of caution before he is brought back?  This would certainly be a recipe to lose a lot of games while still not getting Sam killed,

Maybe.

And in other news lottery tickets while being an absurd long shot and a really, really bad investment, they do still produce winners here and there.  Go figure.

39 minutes ago, Nick Blitz said:

I’ll be rooting for Sam to do well, the unlikely but ideal scenario is that Sam plays like a man possessed the rest of the season making the TL debate moot and landing us with a nice trade down haul or Chase.

I think at this point if the Jets land the #1 overall pick they are not passing on TL no matter how well Sam plays the rest of the season. If Sam plays lights out it makes a very difficult decision for them on what to do if a trade scenario comes up on draft day, but otherwise they will keep both QBs  and play it by ear, eventually trading one or the other for a haul. Probably Darnold will get traded (assuming TL looks legit). 

But you never know. If Trevor isn't looking exactly as advertised and suddenly Darnold is comfortable in the offense under a new coach, winning games and putting up big numbers, there's no way you give away a 24yr old QB like that.  

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Things I want to see:

1- Darnold play like an NFL QB, run the offense, get the ball out of his hand quickly & accurately, throw the ball way if necessary instead of taking a sack & getting hurt or running out of bounds before the sticks like that idiot Geno Smith.

2- Oline & Becton to play well. Create some lanes for the RBs (more Perine & Ty), plus protect Sam.

3- Mims. Just make 1 play, quick strike snag the ball out of the air, straight arm a CB, ANYTHING to show he can be a playa.

4- I don't give a crap about the defense, they're terrible. Just make enough stops to let the offense get some rhythm. 

I would like to see all of this plus an L.  

1 gets better trade value for Darnold.  

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Things I want to see:

For the foreseeable future we will have to build a team that can score more to win. Believe it or not that might be easier than fixing this D for a while with weaker CBs and no pass rush, unless Zuniga comes in soon and is a pass rushing demon and Hall comes in and is a lockdown CB.

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I’m rooting for Sam and a close loss.    Darnold could not be in a worse situation.    I feel for the kid.   

This. I’m going to enjoy watching him as a Colt next year, the Ape household will be able to root for both Sam and Trevor.

This year is all about grading Sam's week to week performance

The hoped for improvement would have been starting at C level performance and escalating throughout the year

I'll still accept escalating ratings throughout the rest of the season ... albeit at a little sharper incline now

without actually looking it up I believe reasonable grades were

week 1 F

week 2 D-

week 3 F

week 4 F

---

Give me a C today Sam ... or dare i ask, a C+