Denzel Mims

Jetsfan80

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Haven't read through this thread but has anyone mentioned how JD kept trading down and how screwed we would've been had some other team taken Mims?  From reviewing the draft, I feel like Mims was the last good WR on the board (maybe Gandy-Golden or Peoples-Jones?) 

Mims went at #59 and the next WRs taken were by the Raider at #81 (Bryon Edwards)  and Ravens at #92 (Devin Duvernay)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_NFL_Draft

image.thumb.png.ba163dd4b2cecc5a4dd308ce101021ec.png

image.thumb.png.16d9ba6870045606adf017c4e1110862.png

lol who gives a f**k.  This is a team devoid of talent yet people are going to complain about Douglas trading down and STILL landing what will be a bonafide WR1?  GTFO.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol who gives a f**k.  This is a team devoid of talent yet people are going to complain about Douglas trading down and STILL landing what will be a bonafide WR1?  GTFO.  

Don't get me wrong.  I like JD and have been a big fan of this hire since day 1.  The only reason I bring it up is that he put our chances of getting (maybe) the last quality WR in this draft in the hands of other teams (because he traded down).  That's a pretty cavalier attitude considering how thin we are at WR without Mims (and even with him).

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Don't get me wrong.  I like JD and have been a big fan of this hire since day 1.  The only reason I bring it up is that he put our chances of getting (maybe) the last quality WR in this draft in the hands of other teams (because he traded down).  That's a pretty cavalier attitude considering how thin we are at WR without Mims (and even with him).

I don't think it was very cavalier to think that we needed to trade down no matter what.  As I mentioned, this team was devoid of talent, and Douglas knew this.  Mims clearly wasn't an absolute must for him to take at his original pick slot.  So he added more picks for a team that desperately needed to stock the shelves with talent out of that draft.

He moved down and still won in the end.  I'll take it.  For once it's nice to be the lucky team in the draft for a change.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't think it was very cavalier to think that we needed to trade down no matter what.  As I mentioned, this team was devoid of talent, and Douglas knew this.  Mims clearly wasn't an absolute must for him to take at his original pick slot.  So he added more picks for a team that desperately needed to stock the shelves with talent out of that draft.

He moved down and still won in the end.  I'll take it.  For once it's nice to be the lucky team in the draft for a change.

I'm definitely not complaining at how things worked out.  I'm just saying that, looking back, it was an incredibly risky move. I think we got an extra 3rd rounder from Seattle for moving down.  That pick turned into Ashtyn Davis.  I loved the pick in preseason but Davis hasn't done anything so far.  We'll see how it turns out.  I'm just glad we ended up getting Mims after all.

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm definitely not complaining at how things worked out.  I'm just saying that, looking back, it was an incredibly risky move. I think we got an extra 3rd rounder from Seattle for moving down.  That pick turned into Ashtyn Davis.  I loved the pick in preseason but Davis hasn't done anything so far.  We'll see how it turns out.  I'm just glad we ended up getting Mims after all.

No.  We used the Leonard Williams pick on Davis.

51 minutes ago, Paradis said:

ahhhh  no. He is not whoever you're describing. Preston beat the piss out of woman. I don't think that's a fair assessment regarding his effort - unless you understand Baylor's offense and their assignments, it's not an obvious critique. He was beast in run blocking and he made every contested/clutch catch

3rd and 8? MIMS

4th and 4? MIMS

20 seconds left on the clock, no time outs, gotta get 14 to give the kicker a chance. 

MIMS

You misunderstand me.  I am not comparing Mims to Preston.  Only the situation of having concerns that can best be clarified through means other than film.  I am saying that only interviewing Mims and his coaches could provide the answers to my questions.  

I saw him run block very well when he wanted to.   What I love best about his game is his hand fighting and the subtle push off he uses.

I also saw what looked to me like he was disinterested sometimes, running slow "lazy looking" routes.  Maybe it was that he was playing knicked up?

It also could be, as you say, not understanding his actions and movements off the ball in the context of Baylor's offense. 

Maybe you're right and I'm way off on this...

19 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Nope false, its just ridiculous theres a game thread going discussing stuff that others feel the need to start another thread about. 

Look at me I just came up with this thought. 

Well, this thread went well. 

Maybe you should come up with a thought and make a thread.   The site is based on content.  The threads are that content. If everything is kept in the game thread, how do people find that topic to add or comment on later?  Do we just keep the game thread open all week and suck everything into it?  I mean the only thing that matters is what happens on the field, right?

FWIW, Mims looked good to me.  I'm not ready to anoint him.  Jeff Smith has regressed to what I expected.  Horrible catch rate, does seem to get open at times.  Issues with his route running.  Little bit numbskull.  Potential and this is a good year to have him on the field.  Odd one to me is Vyncint Smith.  He was on the team last year and got run.  He has been back for two weeks.  I don't know why he is seeing so few snaps.  They were supposedly counting on him to take up some of the Anderson slack.  He hasn't even played 10 snaps on offense yet.  I know the team may have been optimistic, but did anybody expect him to have less catches than tackles at this point of the season? 

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

You misunderstand me.  I am not comparing Mims to Preston.  Only the situation of having concerns that can best be clarified through means other than film.  I am saying that only interviewing Mims and his coaches could provide the answers to my questions.  

I saw him run block very well when he wanted to.   What I love best about his game is his hand fighting and the subtle push off he uses.

I also saw what looked to me like he was disinterested sometimes, running slow "lazy looking" routes.  Maybe it was that he was playing knicked up?

It also could be, as you say, not understanding his actions and movements off the ball in the context of Baylor's offense. 

Maybe you're right and I'm way off on this...

I haven't seen it. I'm not going to say you're imagining things because i haven't seen what you're eluding to. And yea, depending on the play called, it may impact what he's expected to do.. I dunno. 

There's an element to his game (beyond just being a bonafide natural at the position) that really stood out to me, and stole the show from my boi Jalen Hurd - and that was his ability to make big plays when it counted the most. That's not gonna pop when you're watching cut up game film... it's the stadium vibe and the nerves of all the players on the field

He's the real deal. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

And you know that from his 4 for 42 half yesterday?

No he knows it from his borderline concerning obsession with watching film on WRs for the draft. He is the @RobR for receivers in my mind. Rob totally called the Becton pick being awesome when people were crying about his pass blocking. So that should put my view about @Paradis in perspective. 

• Sympathy 2

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Well, this thread went well. 

Maybe you should come up with a thought and make a thread.   The site is based on content.  The threads are that content. If everything is kept in the game thread, how do people find that topic to add or comment on later?  Do we just keep the game thread open all week and suck everything into it?  I mean the only thing that matters is what happens on the field, right?

Meanwhile joewilly rushed to be the first to post the Dak Prescott injury thread, even though it was "already being discussed" in the "other games" thread that week.

He's a whiner and a hypocrite.  

• Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Meanwhile joewilly rushed to be the first to post the Dak Prescott injury thread, even though it was "already being discussed" in the "other games" thread that week.

He's a whiner and a hypocrite.  

Give it a rest champ. 

Stop being an attention seeking football message board whore. 

I thought we moved on but it looks like we haven't. 

Stop making this all about you and your feelings. 

I I I me me me thats @Jetsfan80

53 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I believe so, yes.  And I'll continue to stand by that pick.  An athletic freak is exactly the kind of shot you take when you need an EDGE rusher but can't afford to take one in the 1st round.

you'll stand by that pick? Take it from the vernon gholston fan club the athletic freak hill is not the hill you want to die on

pass rush is often about saavy, hustle and motor  

BTW regarding Mims he was targeted 7 times for those 4 catches (same 7 and 4 as Berrios). A couple of those were on Sam 

Herndon is taking alot of crap around here the dude had 1 target which he caught for a first down and was brought back for holding

George Fant was an abortion at RT and Sam sux but again I'd say the worst part of the offense is the play design and calling

the Jets ran heavy in obvious 3rd and short, 4th and short situations when everyone knew it was coming 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, TheMo said:

No he knows it from his borderline concerning obsession with watching film on WRs for the draft. He is the @RobR for receivers in my mind. Rob totally called the Becton pick being awesome when people were crying about his pass blocking. So that should put my view about @Paradis in perspective. 

I also loved Mims pre draft. 

2 hours ago, TheMo said:

That may very well be the case.  But this week's game has not proven to support that thesis.  

That's all I'm saying - the OP 's claims he was a hit because of what we saw yesterday.   

We saw nothing today to say he will be and we saw nothing to say otherwise either.

Rookies need reps. That’s what it’s all about now. Get these guys healthy, get them on the field, and let them play a lot.

Less Gore, more Perine. Less McDougald, more Davis. Becton is a given. If Mims is healthy he should be playing every O snap. Cam Clark should be worked in as long as he isn’t a liability. Would really like to see Zuniga and Hall get at least a couple games before the end of the season. And, why not let Morgan play a fourth quarter in some of these games where the Jets are getting blown out?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

That may very well be the case.  But this week's game has not proven to support that thesis.  

That's all I'm saying - the OP 's claims he was a hit because of what we saw yesterday.   

We saw nothing today to say he will be and we saw nothing to say otherwise either.

tenor.gif

11 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Denzel Mims looked decent yesterday get him a franchise QB and things will only get better. 

I agree. He was a little rusty, which is to be expected but as the game wore on he started to get more comfortable.  I know he was shut out in the second half but I attribute that more to our OL imploding, and our genius HC and OC not adapting by having Sam execute more controlled roll outs to buy himself more time.   Sam was also the blame on a number of occasions where he missed wide open receivers only to throw into double or triple coverage.    Bottom line Mims got his first game under his belt and my only concern is him staying healthy the rest of the way.   He has already given a glimpse of what he can do and Sam (if he has any brains) will seek to make him his go to guy going forward.  

On 10/25/2020 at 2:40 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Looks like a hit to me. Nice work, Joe Douglas.

Our next QB will like having him around.

For most of us there was never any doubt (granted this just one game) because his talent and production was undeniable.  It was just very frustrating seeing him get injured and missing so many games, especially when he missed very few games in college because of injuries so it wasn't like he was injury prone. In fact, he actually played part of season with a broken bone in his hand so you know he can play through pain.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Rookies need reps. That’s what it’s all about now. Get these guys healthy, get them on the field, and let them play a lot.

Less Gore, more Perine. Less McDougald, more Davis. Becton is a given. If Mims is healthy he should be playing every O snap. Cam Clark should be worked in as long as he isn’t a liability. Would really like to see Zuniga and Hall get at least a couple games before the end of the season. And, why not let Morgan play a fourth quarter in some of these games where the Jets are getting blown out?

You may get your wish this week when the we visit KC.  But seriously, I know Darnold needs to play to either 1. Drive up his value so JD can get the most for him in a trade or 2. Demonstrate that he is the franchise quarterback the Jets thought they were getting.  To be honest, I think the clock is running out on the latter but it is not entirely too late.  That said, I agree that if this team is getting blown out in any games this year,  or if Sam goes down with another injury then Morgan should play.     I do think we will see both Hall and Zuniga sometime in November. 

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

We have no WRs.  Crowder and Perriman are both hurt.  No reason why Mims shouldn’t be playing 98% of snaps rest of the season 

• Upvote 1

I think the whole play the rookies thing can become overblown.  Yes, developing our young under control players should be the priority in a season where the playoffs are out of reach before halfway.  That does not mean they should be playing 100% of the snaps.  You want to work them in without overloading them.  They need to run the plays they know and be evaluated and graded on them and given more responsibility as they progress. Having them run around randomly isn't really optimal.

Mims did not even practice until the last few weeks.  Perine was hurt too.  Developing them is the team's main goal.  Rushing them shouldn't be.

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think the whole play the rookies thing can become overblown.  Yes, developing our young under control players should be the priority in a season where the playoffs are out of reach before halfway.  That does not mean they should be playing 100% of the snaps.  You want to work them in without overloading them.  They need to run the plays they know and be evaluated and graded on them and given more responsibility as they progress. Having them run around randomly isn't really optimal.

Mims did not even practice until the last few weeks.  Perine was hurt too.  Developing them is the team's main goal.  Rushing them shouldn't be.

What is there to rush?  The season was over before it even began with Gase

21 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly. "Fortune favors the prepared mind." Louis Pasteur. 

• Upvote 1