Say Goodbye to Sam Darnold

30 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Increasingly I feel this way too.

The thing about Darnold is that he doesn't really have the makeup of a game manager -- he's not smart and efficient. Even at his best he'll making jaw dropping throws against his body or scramble around and throw to a spot... On a better team he'd have better numbers but might actually be more of a liability because good teams can't afford bone headed mistakes.

He still thinks he can make the magical play every play and that leads to sacks.  And when he decides to run it’s usually too late.

sam will never become an efficient qb until he realizes that he needs to check down sooner and take 4-5 yards rather than hold onto the ball and get sacked.  There are guys running underneath routes but he’s usually hoping for the big play.  Take the yards, get first downs.  

54 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

He just can’t pull the trigger, either he doesn’t trust what he is seeing or he is too afraid of making a mistake.   Those are very tough to overcome.  

47 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

He has two bad habits that seem like they are probably going to stick :

1) He holds the ball too long (takes too long to get through his progressions)

2) He forces the ball into traffic way too often - Lots of silly interceptions

Maybe he can develop into a good QB in a better situation, maybe he can’t. But I’m pretty sure he is done here 

45 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

I held on to hope until today, but  after that, it is over for Sam here. Sucks to admit it, but he doesn't have it I am afraid. 

I can't be bothered watching Lawrence, Fields or whoever. Seems pointless when we have shown no competency to develop a QB. 

41 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Sam definitely has his flaws.  The hope is that he can improve with age.  If we get the #1 pick, though, it won't be here.

Hes broken.  Lost his confidence.  

Done as a high level prospect,  hes just another never was.

Good day, sir. Sorry Mr and Mrs Darnold, but hey, now you're Rich as ****, just like the guy that failed your son.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

He still thinks he can make the magical play every play and that leads to sacks.  And when he decides to run it’s usually too late.

sam will never become an efficient qb until he realizes that he needs to check down sooner and take 4-5 yards rather than hold onto the ball and get sacked.  There are guys running underneath routes but he’s usually hoping for the big play.  Take the yards, get first downs.  

Part of it is that we're so sh*tty that he feels like he has to go above-and-beyond to make things happen.  Keep in mind that this is the only NFL franchise he's ever known.

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Part of it is that we're so sh*tty that he feels like he has to go above-and-beyond to make things happen.  Keep in mind that this is the only NFL franchise he's ever known.

Perhaps, but at some point if you keep getting sacked and turning it over wouldn’t you try to just get first downs and get some momentum?  

43 minutes ago, RobR said:

It's because he has all of the physical talent but he's lacking between the ears. We're three years in and he still can't read a blitz and hit the hot route. 

He doesn't have it between the legs either.  Darnold has no balls.  Kid is as soft as cotton.

• Upvote 2

Tee Higgins, AJ Green & Boyd with Gio. 

WEAPONES!!!

Their OL is terrible. So bad that our OL coach was only there a year. None of those weapons were doing very much before Burrow got there. Burrow still needs to make strides. He isnt all the way there yet and it takes time for DCs to find a QBs weaknesses. But so far he looks very good.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

He doesn't have it between the legs either.  Darnold has no balls.  Kid is as soft as cotton.

I wouldn't describe him soft as cotton since he ends up taking some licks. His biggest problem is that he's not smart enough to realize what's happening around him and what to do pre snap. Maybe that is why Gase won't let him call an audible. No different than Sanchez getting the whole red light, green light BS. 

He'll end up being a QB with all of the physical tools but will never put it all together because he's lacking in the noggin department. It happens and is always the hardest part too evaluate when looking at prospects. 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, RobR said:

I wouldn't describe him soft as cotton since he ends up taking some licks. His biggest problem is that he's not smart enough to realize what's happening around him and what to do pre snap. Maybe that is why Gase won't let him call an audible. No different than Sanchez getting the whole red light, green light BS. 

He'll end up being a QB with all of the physical tools but will never put it all together because he's lacking in the noggin department. It happens and is always the hardest part too evaluate when looking at prospects. 

When I say no balls, not only referring to taking hits.

I mean competitive balls.  Can you ever see Darnold leading his team to wins from behind ala like a Matthew Stafford?  I can't.

Darnold is a backup.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

It’s absolutely relevant.  Sanchez was given plenty to work with and when he was asked to shoulder the load just a tiny bit, he sh*t his pants.  There’s no such thing as being “Sanchezed”.  Sanchez and Darnold simply suck and Burrow, who is on a team just as bad as us, is living proof that you don’t have to have hall of fame talent around you to look promising as a young QB.  Burrow is a young promising QB worthy of his 1st round selection, despite the turmoil around him.  Sam just sucks.

Stop. Just stop. 

Cincy is better coached than we are, has a real NFL running back, and some WRs that show up. 

We have none of those. 

We arent wanting to see Sam with hall of fame talent around him, but practice squad talent isnt going to cut it either. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Stop. Just stop. 

Cincy is better coached than we are, has a real NFL running back, and some WRs that show up. 

We have none of those. 

We arent wanting to see Sam with hall of fame talent around him, but practice squad talent isnt going to cut it either. 

This.

Burrows would have looked just as bad as Darnold has this season. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JTJet said:

Stop. Just stop. 

We have none of those. 

No. You stop excusing Sam like he was your first born son.

Zac Taylor may be better than Gase, but he’s not far off from Adam at all.  If you actually watch Cincinnati games, you’d know that.  I’ve been following him for a while now because I liked Zac Taylor as a potential OC.  He’s been awful.

That “real RB” didn’t play today and Burrow still put up 400 yards and 3TDs.

As for the WR conundrum?  Sam Darnold:

- Missed a wide open Mims for a touchdown in the beginning of the game, and plenty of other times in the second half.

- Got Breshad Perriman killed.

- Missed a wide open Chris Herndon for, what would have been, a 50+ yard catch and run TD.

- Threw a number of dangerous passes into double and triple coverage, 1 of which was a clean pick, and the other was batted for a pick.

He’s been missing guys, misreading coverages, and not seeing wide open receivers since week 1.  Enough with the “practice squad” nonsense.  This group, without Crowder, should have put up 14 more points than they did.  If Sam wasn’t a total moron, he also doesn’t throw the pick before half, taking away 3 points from Buffalo.  The All-22 film isn’t even out yet and we know that that Sam Darnold cost the team 17 points, by himself, in a game that was an 8 point loss.  The score should have been, as of now, without the All-22, a 24-15 Jets win. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

Burrows would look awful here..  the interior of Joe D's fabulous line makeover has been pretty down right shtty.

I don't think there's really any disputing the fact that Darnold looked like he could be a star in his 1st year and Gase destroyed him.  I also believe he'll bounce back here or somewhere else once he escapes Gases web of suck.

Still think if they don't land the 1st pick they're keeping Sam and continuing to build around him.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pac said:

Burrows would look awful here..  the interior of Joe D's fabulous line makeover has been pretty down right shtty.

I don't think there's really any disputing the fact that Darnold looked like he could be a star in his 1st year and Gase destroyed him.  I also believe he'll bounce back here or somewhere else once he escapes Gases web of suck.

Still think if they don't land the 1st pick they're keeping Sam and continuing to build around him.

You have the absolute worst takes ever when it comes to the Jets and football in general. Oh and his name is Burrow....at least get that right.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RobR said:

You have the absolute worst takes ever when it comes to the Jets and football in general. Oh and his name is Burrow....at least get that right.

Right..  so when this take is proven to be correct like most of my others we'll just forget I said it.

BobR.

• Haha 1