0-7

Jetster

50 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Sam Darnold was viewed the same way as a can't miss QB in 2018. Is this really what we need to do? I'm not so sure with the worst coach in the league, the worst oline coach in the league, a sketchy oline roster in front of Sam. Lawrence would suck this year too. Not a doubt in my mind.

No he wasn't.  Lot of folks, including me, had lots of problems with his ball security, lack of accuracy on his deep ball, and decision making.

2 GM's passed on him.  That's how he got to the Jets.  

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Sam Darnold was viewed the same way as a can't miss QB in 2018. Is this really what we need to do? I'm not so sure with the worst coach in the league, the worst oline coach in the league, a sketchy oline roster in front of Sam. Lawrence would suck this year too. Not a doubt in my mind.

I've seen a lot of people write this on this board over the past week. 

Keep in mind that two GMs passed on Darnold. How many GMs are passing on Lawrence? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Icer said:

Two GM's of teams that needed a Quarterback too

Well, the Giants passed on a QB all together and tried to squeeze one last run out of Eli. 

But yea, the Browns went against consensus and went with Mayfield. 

Nobody is taking Fields or Lance over Lawrence. 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

If Adam Gase can get the team to play hard for 16 weeks, lose all 16 games, get the No. 1 pick, convince Lawrence to play here, hire a good OC, hire a new DC, and effectively recruit free agent talent in March, yes, an extension in April would be called for.

See, you people think he's being judged on W's and L's and Darnold's development.  He's not.  He's being judged on how he manages an epic rebuild of a dysfunctional culture and weak roster decimated by injuries.  He is doing a masterful job.  Today is perfect evidence of that.  You will see real improvement starting next year. This is the hard part.

SAR I. 

Thats what you said last year and this year also. Gase will not be here next year. I could see keeping him around this year because he has been an admirable tank commander leading us to being one of the worst teams in NFL history and the number 1 pick. 

2 hours ago, TNJet said:

This - the problem with drafting Lawrence is we may get the same result as the 'suck for sam'; football is a team sport and while the QB is the most important position, you can't win with just the QB. Let's say Sam is def. done and we draft Lawrence, we could easily be saying the same thing in 3 years. What if we trade Lawrence for 2 extra 1sts and 2 extra 2nds and a third and we parlay that into a solid team; then say we draft our QB the following year with the extra 1st we picked up this year. Even if this guy is not as good as Lawrence, a quality QB on a solid team is more likely to win and win it all than a crappy team with a great QB.

Now, what happens if Sam is on a good team and can be coached up. Whether or not Sam is done, the smart move may be trading Lawerence for a boatload of picks.

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

1) The coach won’t be here next year - he’s irrelevant - this extends to his entire staff, including the Oline coach. 

2) A lot of the sacks today were on Darnold. The Bills were blitzing all day and getting free rushers at Darnold. Good QBs identify this stuff at the snap and make defenses pay. Darnold was basically unaware of like half of them. He just doesn’t have the awareness of the pass rush that all good QBs have. We can certainly blame the coaching for some of that, but Darnold also takes a big hit. He’s just not a good QB right now and it remains to be seen whether he can develop into one. 

3) Tannehill was a joke under Gase. A probowler under Vrabel.

3 hours ago, TNJet said:

Except he wasn't. And he wasn't the #1 overall pick, another QB was selected over him, then a RB (even though the team who took said RB also needed a QB), only then did the Jets take Darnold. Who knows how the draft will play out but it sure as heck seems like Lawrence will go #1 overall. I actually think if the Jets get the #1 overall pick (or a chance to draft Lawrence), they will take him no matter how well Darnold plays the rest of the season. Lawrence is just not a prospect you pass up on and there's no way that Darnold can dissuade JD from taking Lawrence by suddenly balling out for 9 games while still losing them and securing the #1 pick where that will even be an option.