Darnold sucked today but....

I don't know what game some people we?'re watching. In the second half the bills changed they're pressure packages and the Jets o-line couldn't handle it. There were Bills all aroun Darnold to the point he had no where even to scramble. No QB can look good in that environment. Perrine whiffed a bunch on blitx pickup. The only solution this year is to maybe throw more on 1st down. Play more smash mouth football. I don't know. Clearly JD. Didn't do nearly enough to fix what has been a real problem for a while here.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

So will Lawrence, Fields, Lance, or whoever will also unless this team fixes the OL. Becton is the only one I would keep, maybe Fant. 

You do know they have an extra first rounder, an extra 3rd, a ton of cap room, plus a potential extra second rounder they get for Darnold. 

I don’t know.  Will Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, or Trey Lance hold the ball for three to four seconds while Denzel Mims in uncovered in the flat with room to run for an easy TD?

Will they miss an easy protection call that I was screaming for from my couch on a free blitzer?

Instead of throwing a ball away on a play that is dead in the water, will they heave the ball off their back foot into triple coverage or hang onto it for dear life, resulting in a sack?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, genot said:

I don't know what game some people we?'re watching. In the second half the bills changed they're pressure packages and the Jets o-line couldn't handle it. There were Bills all aroun Darnold to the point he had no where even to scramble. No QB can look good in that environment. Perrine whiffed a bunch on blitx pickup. The only solution this year is to maybe throw more on 1st down. Play more smash mouth football. I don't know. Clearly JD. Didn't do nearly enough to fix what has been a real problem for a while here.

Please stop....

Im honestly starting to get a headache from the excuses....bu...but he doesn’t have 15 seconds to throw from the pocket.....bu.....but JD didn’t sign 5 pro bowlers to fix the line....the fact that Becton looks like a monster dismisses all of that garbage....he addressed the line.....he found some band-aids for this year...it was never going to be fixed in one offseason stop it....

Its not the OL fault he holds onto the ball for ages and eats a sack.....it’s not the OL fault he can’t process and read his progression when the blitz is on....franchise QBs can diagnose the blitz and get the ball out quick.....it’s lunchtime when teams blitz Sam

He's Cooked. It’s over.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

I don’t know.  Will Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, or Trey Lance hold the ball for three to four seconds while Denzel Mims in uncovered in the flat with room to run for an easy TD?
Will they miss an easy protection call that I was screaming for from my couch on a free blitzer?
Instead of throwing a ball away on a play that is dead in the water, will they heave the ball off their back foot into triple coverage or hang onto it for dear life, resulting in a sack?

Yeah I mean average QBs make one of those mistakes a game and their team loses because of it. Not all of those and even a few more.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

We’ll find out next year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 3

1 minute ago, carlito1171 said:

Please stop....

Im honestly starting to get a headache from the excuses....bu...but he doesn’t have 15 seconds to throw from the pocket.....bu.....but JD didn’t sign 5 pro bowlers to fix the line....the fact that Becton looks like a monster dismisses all of that garbage....he addressed the line.....he found some band-aids for this year...it was never going to be fixed in one offseason stop it....

Its not the OL fault he holds onto the ball for ages and eats a sack.....it’s not the OL fault he can’t process and read his progression when the blitz is on....franchise QBs can diagnose the blitz and get the ball out quick.....it’s lunchtime when teams blitz Sam

He's Cooked. It’s over.

Quarterbacks can make good throws when they're under duress. When constantly under duress they will fold. That's what happened to Sanchez. That s whats happening to Darnold

• Upvote 1

You are watching a different game than I am. Sam isn't making anyone pay but the OL gets pushed around like checkers on a checkerboard

Its not a sit in the pocket for three second thing when they are zero blitzing you. Its a hit your back foot and hit the hot read. NFL blitzes come fast and someone has off coverage.

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

You are watching a different game than I am. Sam isn't making anyone pay but the OL gets pushed around like checkers on a checkerboard

I don’t know how many games of other teams you watch, but I have had Sunday ticket for years, and as the Jets have been dogsh*t over the past decade, I have watched more and more of other teams on Sundays in the last 5 years or so.

Darnold was the worst QB I saw today out of the 4 games that I was watching. He’s just not playing well. Gannon was constantly pointing out that Darnold wasn’t identifying the free rushers and wasn’t getting the ball out on time. This has been a consistent issue for him. He’s not good right now - the sooner you realize that, the better :)  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Yeah I mean average QBs make one of those mistakes a game and their team loses because of it. Not all of those and even a few more.

The result of this play was an incomplete pass.

He did this multiple times today, a couple of which resulted in sacks. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, Icer said:

Once the defense realizes that they can blitz him at will they break his confidence and it all falls apart

Doesnt seem to be able to get the ball out quick or see where the pressure is going to come from

Bingo.

Btw, this the mark of a bad QB. One fundamental school of thought on defense is to blitz bad QBs and play coverage against good QBs, because good QBs consistently punish you for blitzing and bad ones panic and make mistakes. 

I think we know what the Bills think of Darnold right now. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 3

1 minute ago, RSJ said:

Its not a sit in the pocket for three second thing when they are zero blitzing you. Its a hit your back foot and hit the hot read. NFL blitzes come fast and someone has off coverage.

It's not what I saw. The zero blitz brings pressure from the middle which they are leaving open. Sam was getting pressure from the sides on most plays. He had time to throw but not a lot. Not what Allen was getting and not what I am seeing Goropollo getting right now.

19 minutes ago, genot said:

When a team switches up their blitz packages, it’s on the QB to adjust and read them.  The Bills kept it simple in the first half, save a couple of plays.  Once they realized that Darnold was struggling to read the blitz, they started blitzing more in the second half.  There were multiple times that I could read the coverage myself from my television, see that a DB or LB were blitzing, currently unaccounted for, scream for a protection change, and I haven’t played a game at QB in almost 10 years.  

Sam is either awful or mentally fried.  Either way, his time here is up.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I still think Sam can be a good QB for a competent franchise.  We absolutely need another year of "building" before we can even hope to show some competency (though I do think it's possible we can turn this around a lot quicker than people might think - mostly due to the salary cap).

Again, if we pick #1 overall then take Trevor.  If we don't, though, then I'd still be fine with building around Sam. 

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I don't agree with this crap. Sam was bad today but nobody knows what the play was, who was his first, second, ot third read, If Mims was even running the correct route. Would it have been nice if Sam got him the ball, yes, of course but it was not why we lost.

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I think the game isn't slowing down for him because this team is so incredibly inept.  That plus he's probably getting the worst coaching in the NFL.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

When a team switches up their blitz packages, it’s on the QB to adjust and read them.  The Bills kept it simple in the first half, save a couple of plays.  Once they realized that Darnold was struggling to read the blitz, they started blitzing more in the second half.  There were multiple times that I could read the coverage myself from my television, see that a DB or LB were blitzing, scream for a protection change, and I haven’t played a game at QB in almost 10 years.  

Sam is either awful or mentally fried.  Either way, his time here is up.

Im very depressed. 

It's not what I saw. The zero blitz brings pressure from the middle which they are leaving open. Sam was getting pressure from the sides on most plays. He had time to throw but not a lot. Not what Allen was getting and not what I am seeing Goropollo getting right now.

Zero blitz means they brought 6 with 5 guys to guard your 5 guys. Its not where the blitz is coming from. They were relentlessly bringing 5 or 6. The slot WR cant be pressed and is usually free. Others will be free because of the coverage. Back shoulder, over the top, slant, etc. They could be playing inside or outside. Dont know but believe me someone is open and you need to hit your back foot and get it out or they will just keep sending numbers.

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't agree with this crap. Sam was bad today but nobody knows what the play was, who was his first, second, ot third read, If Mims was even running the correct route. Would it have been nice if Sam got him the ball, yes, of course but it was not why we lost.

Plus Sam was running for his life for a little bit before he even had a chance to find Mims.