Sign in to follow this  
More Cowbell

Darnold sucked today but....

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I don’t know how many games of other teams you watch, but I have had Sunday ticket for years, and as the Jets have been dogsh*t over the past decade, I have watched more and more of other teams on Sundays in the last 5 years or so.

Darnold was the worst QB I saw today out of the 4 games that I was watching. He’s just not playing well. Gannon was constantly pointing out that Darnold wasn’t identifying the free rushers and wasn’t getting the ball out on time. This has been a consistent issue for him. He’s not good right now - the sooner you realize that, the better :)  

I'm not defending him but we are not going to do well with OL play like this. You are going to see the Lawrence you saw against LSU I'm the championship

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't agree with this crap. Sam was bad today but nobody knows what the play was, who was his first, second, ot third read, If Mims was even running the correct route. Would it have been nice if Sam got him the ball, yes, of course but it was not why we lost.

You don’t agree with what?  Tangible proof that Mims was wide open?  There is absolutely no excusing this.  I don’t care if it was his 1st, 2nd, or 3rd read.  He’s an NFL QB in his 3rd year.  He should recognize a guy that open right away.

I’m sorry, but what in the world are you doing defending this bullsh*t?

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Just now, More Cowbell said:

I'm not defending him but we are not going to do well with OL play like this. You are going to see the Lawrence you saw against LSU I'm the championship

Fine, but we have plenty of picks to continue to address the OL and I am sure that Douglas will. 

The point is that Darnold looks like part of the problem, not part of the solution 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RSJ said:

Zero blitz means they brought 6 with 5 guys to guard your 5 guys. Its not where the blitz is coming from. They were relentlessly bringing 5 or 6. The slot WR cant be pressed and is usually free. Others will be free because of the coverage. Back shoulder, over the top, slant, etc. They could be playing inside or outside. Dont know but believe me someone is open and you need to hit your back foot and get it out or they will just keep sending numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

0 means no deep safety. You can bring 5 or 6 without going zero.

Bingo.

Btw, this the mark of a bad QB. One fundamental school of thought on defense is to blitz bad QBs and play coverage against good QBs, because good QBs consistently punish you for blitzing and bad ones panic and make mistakes. 
I think we know what the Bills think of Darnold right now. 

Bingo

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think the game isn't slowing down for him because this team is so incredibly inept.  That plus he's probably getting the worst coaching in the NFL.

There is absolutely zero excuse for missing that wide open of a receiver.  Zero.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

You don’t agree with what?  Tangible proof that Mims was wide open?  There is absolutely no excusing this.  I don’t care if it was his 1st, 2nd, or 3rd read.  He’s an NFL QB in his 3rd year.  He should recognize a guy that open right away.

I’m sorry, but what in the world are you doing defending this bullsh*t?

Because it is one play. Everyone screws up reads. 

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Fine, but we have plenty of picks to continue to address the OL and I am sure that Douglas will. 

The point is that Darnold looks like part of the problem, not part of the solution 

We need to move on but only for Lawrence

16 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

They both have something in common....

Two bums from USC 

2 Trojans with holes in...their games.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Because it is one play. Everyone screws up reads. 

It’s one play that cost them a TD and it shouldn’t happen to a QB in his third year.  Especially when all we hear is “it’s not his fault”.  No.  It is.  It is absolutely his fault.

Tom Brady doesn’t miss that read.  Aaron Rodgers doesn’t miss that read.  Patrick Mahomes doesn’t miss that read.  Shoot, Joe Burrow doesn’t miss that read.

Stop it.

• Like 2

There is absolutely zero excuse for missing that wide open of a receiver.  Zero.

Mims?  I'll have to watch that play again but the way I saw it, Sam was scrambling for half that play so he didn't even have a chance to look down the field for a while.  It's possible he still should've thrown it earlier than he did but I want to see it again.  

0 means no deep safety. You can bring 5 or 6 without going zero.

Yes there is no deep safety help on a zero blitz. Which usually means off coverage someplace. Either way depending on the coverage there is an open guy someplace. You just need to get it out fast.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Mims?  I'll have to watch that play again but the way I saw it, Sam was scrambling for half that play so he didn't even have a chance to look down the field for a while.  It's possible he still should've thrown it earlier than he did but I want to see it again.  

The tweet is a gif.  It shows that, not only was Darnold not scrambling for half the play, but when he did step up and roll out, he rolled to his left...where Mims was.  That means Sam not only missed him on the intial drop-back, he also missed him while rolling out because he was looking to throw across the field, across his body, on the run, with a guy wide open for a TD, right in front of his face.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

So will Lawrence, Fields, Lance, or whoever will also unless this team fixes the OL. Becton is the only one I would keep, maybe Fant. 

The OL???? How about the entire offense? Every unit within the offense is complete GARBAGE. The WR, TE, OL, RB, OC, HC..... ALL areas of the offense needs to be overhauled/repaired. There isn't a single area on this team that's actually doing their jobs satisfactorily.

23 minutes ago, Icer said:

Once the defense realizes that they can blitz him at will they break his confidence and it all falls apart

Doesnt seem to be able to get the ball out quick or see where the pressure is going to come from

It happened to David Carr too. 

The tweet is a gif.  It shows that, not only was Darnold not scrambling for half the play, but when he did step up and roll out, he rolled to his left...where Mims was.  That means Sam not only missed him on the intial drop-back, he also missed him while rolling out because he was looking to throw across the field, across his body, on the run, with a guy wide open for a TD, right in front of his face.

The tweet I saw just had circles with numbers on them.  I want to see the actual play.  The NFL isn't a video game.  

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

The tweet I saw just had circles with numbers on them.  I want to see the actual play.  The NFL isn't a video game.  

That’s fine.  The film is going to show the exact same thing.

56 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

So will Lawrence, Fields, Lance, or whoever will also unless this team fixes the OL. Becton is the only one I would keep, maybe Fant. 

Learn how to draft a subject 

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

It’s one play that cost them a TD and it shouldn’t happen to a QB in his third year.  Especially when all we hear is “it’s not his fault”.  No.  It is.  It is absolutely his fault.

Tom Brady doesn’t miss that read.  Aaron Rodgers doesn’t miss that read.  Patrick Mahomes doesn’t miss that read.  Shoot, Joe Burrow doesn’t miss that read.

Stop it.

Sam was also running for his life on that play. It's not an excuse. People her just think Sam is the problem. The fact is even at full strength, this team sucks. Yeah, Sam is not helping but he is not this only problem

The OL???? How about the entire offense? Every unit within the offense is complete GARBAGE. The WR, TE, OL, RB, OC, HC..... ALL areas of the offense needs to be overhauled/repaired. There isn't a single area on this team that's actually doing their jobs satisfactorily.

The defense played pretty well today. Definitely held them to a score that makes it a winnable game. While being on the field a whole lot. The offense we really dont know because the ball never really got out of Darnolds hands enough to tell except when he was throwing into triple coverage.

I don't see the reason why the Jets would not take a Lawrence/Fields/Lance and move on from Darnold.  Not to say that Darnold is hopeless, but more than that he has not be hopeful enough, and he will get expensive too fast.  

The Jets are not yet assured of that happening.  If we can't do that, it would be very understandable, in a Jetsy way, to give Darnold another chance next year at $6mm than sign a mediocre veteran at $12mm while the team still rebuilds.  But that being said, if a team will offer a 1st round pick for Darnold now (unlikely), the Jets should take it.  

I worked today, but in the first half I saw Darnold 8/9 and 80 yards, and Josh Allen with less yards and a lower completion percentage.  Then things flipped.

Good test for Darnold and good practice for developing players.  Good loss for the tank.  Competitive game.

Today was ok.

9 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Yes there is no deep safety help on a zero blitz. Which usually means off coverage someplace. Either way depending on the coverage there is an open guy someplace. You just need to get it out fast.

It doesn't mean someone is open, it means you are putting your DB on an island and they have to cover there man like a blanket. You don't let a receiver run uncovered no matter what the coverage is. If your WR suck like ours do, you can run that all day because these receivers don't beat anyone.

15 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

We need to move on but only for Lawrence

Tbh, I'm not sure about that. 

I leave it up to Douglas to scout the QBs available, compare them to Darnold, and make his best decision. 

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

I don't see the reason why the Jets would not take a Lawrence/Fields/Lance and move on from Darnold.  Not to say that Darnold is hopeless, but more than that he has not be hopeful enough, and he will get expensive too fast.  

The Jets are not yet assured of that happening.  If we can't do that, it would be very understandable, in a Jetsy way, to give Darnold another chance next year at $6mm than sign a mediocre veteran at $12mm while the team still rebuilds.  But that being said, if a team will offer a 1st round pick for Darnold now (unlikely), the Jets should take it.  

I worked today, but in the first half I saw Darnold 8/9 and 80 yards, and Josh Allen with less yards and a lower completion percentage.  Then things flipped.

Good test for Darnold and good practice for developing players.  Good loss for the tank.  Competitive game.

Today was ok.

Only Lawrence. Anyone else you are better off trading down and filling a bunch of holes and if Darnold sucks for another year, then draft someone else the following year

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Right. It all starts with the oline.  I think darnold doesn’t have a whole lot of confidence in his line and it leads to him making bad decisions.  But even here it’s not so much the talent level as it is this group just not playing enough together.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

The Jets look like they can win a game or two this year. Will need Giants, Falcons and Jax to find some wins. 

Not worried about the Giants or Falcons. It's Jax and Washington that are the worst teams behind us. The Giants and Falcons can get themselves in position to win games, it's only a matter of time before it goes their way at the end.

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

Maybe a better QB will be better. 

No! Can't invest in a QB until we have better skill players! And no reason to invest in them until we have a solid line! And why invest in a solid line if we don't have a QB worth protecting???

fail merry go round GIF

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Sam was also running for his life on that play. It's not an excuse. People her just think Sam is the problem. The fact is even at full strength, this team sucks. Yeah, Sam is not helping but he is not this only problem

No he wasn’t.  The GIF I posted proves that.  He is not the only problem, but he might be the biggest problem.  The guys around him played well enough to win today. There were multiple guys open and Sam missed them or threw an awful pass.  On 2 plays, he managed to cost the team 10 points, in an 8 point loss.  The pick he threw on the two minute drive gave Buffalo 3.  The missed TD is 7.  Even if you don’t give him the easy XP and call it 9, that’s enough to win.  Those two plays, which were on Sam Darnold, are the reason this game was an 18-10 loss and not a 17-15 win.  The film will probably show a lot worse of a story.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Icer said:

Would like to see a Darnold was great today thread for once in my life

Yep. 

He hasn't had a great game since . . Oakland last year? 

That's a long time ago for a supposed future franchise QB

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

No! Can't invest in a QB until we have better skill players! And no reason to invest in them until we have a solid line! And why invest in a solid line if we don't have a QB worth protecting???

fail merry go round GIF

Are you suggesting a better QB would not be better?

It doesn't mean someone is open, it means you are putting your DB on an island and they have to cover there man like a blanket. You don't let a receiver run uncovered no matter what the coverage is. If your WR suck like ours do, you can run that all day because these receivers don't beat anyone.

It does mean someone is open. Because there are routes that offset coverages. If they are playing outside, you throw a slant, if they are playing over the top you throw a back shoulder. Believe me the plays are there to be made. If your QB can make them. We arent even talking about the slot and the TE that have even more options.