Sign in to follow this  
More Cowbell

Darnold sucked today but....

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

No he wasn’t.  The GIF I posted proves that.  He is not the only problem, but he might be the biggest problem.  The guys around him played well enough to win today. There were multiple guys open and Sam missed them or threw an awful pass.  On 2 plays, he managed to cost the team 10 points, in an 8 point loss.  The pick he threw on the two minute drive gave Buffalo 3.  The missed TD is 7.  Even if you don’t give him the easy XP and call it 9, that’s enough to win.  Those two plays, which were on Sam Darnold, are the reason this game was an 18-10 loss and not a 17-15 win.  The film will probably show a lot worse of a story.

I saw the play. I don't need a GIF to tell me what I saw

4 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Are you suggesting a better QB would not be better?

I need to sharpen my wit if that wasn't readily identifiable as sarcasm

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, RSJ said:

It does mean someone is open. Because there are routes that offset coverages. If they are playing outside, you throw a slant, if they are playing over the top you throw a back shoulder. Believe me the plays are there to be made. If your QB can make them. We arent even talking about the slot and the TE that have even more options.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

It means you have a mismatch on the field. A LB covering a receiver or a fast RB. If someone is running uncovered that is a broken coverage. A Zero doesn't create broken coverage. 

Sam would be an OK story....if he was a 7th round pick.  But we've already had that guy, his name was  Glenn Foley.

As a top 3 pick we spent a fortune on,  kids been a ******* disaster. 

It's over. 86 him and move on.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

No he wasn’t.  The GIF I posted proves that.  He is not the only problem, but he might be the biggest problem.  The guys around him played well enough to win today. There were multiple guys open and Sam missed them or threw an awful pass.  On 2 plays, he managed cost the team 10 points today, in an 8 point loss.  The pick he threw on the two minute drive gave Buffalo 3.  The missed TD is 7.  Even if you don’t give him the easy XP and call it 9, that’s enough to win.  Sam Darnold is the reason this game was an 18-10 loss and not a 17-15 win.  The film will probably show a lot worse of a story.

Agree with you.  As for teh "its only one play" argument.  Well it seems like every game he has a few of those "only one play" moments.  The interception at the end of the half.  Only one play.  Taking a sack on the first play in the two minute drill causing us to use our last TO.  Only one play.  

On the Mims play, he was wide open.  Sam had a clean pocket and didn't pull the trigger.  Instead he escapes the pocket, runs left, where Mims is wide open, he escapres the rush and takes about ten steps before throwing the ball, allowing coverage to recover.  It was an awful play from a guy who is not seeing the field.  And there are plays like this in every game

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

28 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Sam would be an OK story....if he was a 7th round pick.  But we've already had that guy, his name was  Glenn Foley.

As a top 3 pick we spent a fortune on,  kids been a ******* disaster. 

It's over. 86 him and move on.

winner GIF by Barstool Sports

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Whoever they replace the line with will suck and whoever they replace the receivers with will suck and Lawrence will suck and the next GM and coach will suck because don't forget your booties because it's cooooooold outside it's Groundhog's Daaaaaaaayyyyyy.

Lol - all the youngsters who still have hope...yo Santa ain't real!

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

You do realize they lost a game the D didn't allow a TD in, right?

I do. 

Sam is lost. 

He doesn’t know when to pull the trigger, when to bail, when to throw away, when NOT to take a sack, when to run, etc...

• Upvote 2

Sam Darnold has sucked for the last 2 seasons. 

Enough is enough time to move on.

Haven't we suffered enough not having a QB and now we must watch this guy fail here. 

5 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

You can't expect any kind of good play from a QB when as soon as he finishes his drop, the pocket has already collapsed on him. You need a guy like Dan Fouts back there to succeed.

He sucked today. I’ve been holding out hope for him, but he curled up into a ball after that pick right before the half. What a mush. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

It wasn't a good performance from the OL but Darnold doesn't process information quickly enough. The color guy mentioned it during the broadcast--Sam has trouble figuring out where pressure is coming from. Plenty of good QBs are productive behind poor OLs (Russ, Watson, etc) but they know where the pressure is coming from, anticipate it, side-step it, and extend the play. Sam has shown the ability to do that on occasion but not nearly enough--it's a blind squirrel finding a nut more often than not.

He missed numerous open guys again today and that was without seeing All 22 tape; I'm sure there were even more when you watch the real film. The interception was a terrible one that a good 3rd year QB doesn't make. He simply doesn't see the field well and process what's happening. 

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He sucked today. I’ve been holding out hope for him, but he curled up into a ball after that pick right before the half. What a mush. 

I agree Tom. Conditions were not good for him but he seemed to not fight back. I really have been holding out hope as well but todays game has put me in the Sam needs to be traded camp. I really hate this team. This should not have happened

• Upvote 1

I still think Sam can be a good QB for a competent franchise.  We absolutely need another year of "building" before we can even hope to show some competency (though I do think it's possible we can turn this around a lot quicker than people might think - mostly due to the salary cap).
Again, if we pick #1 overall then take Trevor.  If we don't, though, then I'd still be fine with building around Sam. 

No one is building sh*t around Sam Darnold. No one. Even if we don’t have the top pick next draft, Darnold is not going to be the starting QB. Here or anywhere else.

35 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Sam is lost. 

He doesn’t know when to pull the trigger, when to bail, when to throw away, when NOT to take a sack, when to run, etc...

unfortunately this is the truth

He's regressed ... he is questioning his decisions and is not able to just react

kid has all of the physical talent and skill to be a top 10 qb

his brain has been beaten down into a confused mess by this team having handled him terribly

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I saw the play. I don't need a GIF to tell me what I saw

Apparently you do, because you obviously aren’t seeing what’s in front of you properly.

• Like 1

During the postgame show, Bart Scott said Darnold put in a “solid” performance. He also said the whole teams performance was something to “build on.” I miss Ray Lucas. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, RSJ said:

Defenses are unmercifully blitzing him because he cant hang in there and make them pay.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

His hot reads are non existent. Is that a Gase scheme thing or Darnold. I think its both. Darnold seems to have no clue where to go with the ball. Isn’t a coaching staff supposed to coach a guy up through his weakness? I’m not saying it’s not Darnold’s fault as well, but seriously he looks like a player that has not been coached at all. 

8 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

During the postgame show, Bart Scott said Darnold put in a “solid” performance. He also said the whole teams performance was something to “build on.” I miss Ray Lucas. 

He also said he was basing his evaluation against what they had done in previous games. I believe he mentioned that the previous games made him throw up in his mouth.

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Apparently you do, because you obviously aren’t seeing what’s in front of you properly.

It was a scramble play. He wasn't out there directing traffic. We have seen him throw TD's on this type of play like theb2 point conversation against the Bills.

Regardless, I am now hoping we can get Lawrence but not for that one play, I think the Jets and Sam need to move on. Sam is never going to excel here, maybe someone else does. 

9 hours ago, ljr said:

He's regressed ... he is questioning his decisions and is not able to just react

his brain has been beaten down into a confused mess by this team having handled him terribly

This is why he’s not a permanent back-up.  Go back and look at his rookie year.  He was decisive, accurate and moved really well in the pocket.

He, for sure, still made a lot of dumb throws but he was a much better than he is now.  

That’s on Adam Gase and the NY Jets organization as a whole.

I believe he can be fixed - just not here.

• Upvote 1

It was a scramble play. He wasn't out there directing traffic. We have seen him throw TD's on this type of play like theb2 point conversation against the Bills.

Regardless, I am now hoping we can get Lawrence but not for that one play, I think the Jets and Sam need to move on. Sam is never going to excel here, maybe someone else does. 

For the fourth time, it was not a scramble play.  He drops back, Mims is already open, Sam holds the ball for two full seconds, climbs up, rolls to his left, Mims is still open, Sam is looking ACROSS THE FIELD with Mims wide open in front of him, he finally looks where he should be, throws the ball late, DB who came over to cover Mims breaks up the pass.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

For the fourth time, it was not a scramble play.  He drops back, Mims is already open, Sam holds the ball for two full seconds, climbs up, rolls to his left, Mims is still open, Sam is looking ACROSS THE FIELD with Mims wide open in front of him, he finally looks where he should be, throws the ball late, DB who came over to cover Mims breaks up the pass.

This should help...I have NO idea how he missed him. Scrambled and then still proceeds to wait till the worst time to throw  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TNJet said:

I loved his holding penalty that took away our last chance at the game today.

Chuma is just as good with a higher upside. Younger too.

6 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

His hot reads are non existent. Is that a Gase scheme thing or Darnold. I think its both. Darnold seems to have no clue where to go with the ball. Isn’t a coaching staff supposed to coach a guy up through his weakness? I’m not saying it’s not Darnold’s fault as well, but seriously he looks like a player that has not been coached at all. 

Unless you have Ernie Adams telling you who to throw to its on the QB to make the reads, Sam has not done this well at all. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

This should help...I have NO idea how he missed him. Scrambled and then still proceeds to wait till the worst time to throw  

Thank you so much.  As I said yesterday, he likely missed him while rolling out because Sam still hasn’t processed the fact that throwing across the field, across your body, is a horrible idea.  He rolled to his left and looked to his right the whole way.  Absolutely horrendous miss.

@More Cowbell wanna keep telling me that you “don’t believe this crap”, that Sam was running for his life, had no time to go through his progressions, and that you don’t need a GIF to tell you what you saw??

CC: @TuscanyTile2.  Here is this the play, not the GIF.  Like I said, the film is exactly the same as my GIF. Honestly, it paints an even worse picture.

15 hours ago, ljr said:

go see his bowl game vs Ohio State...

who tf "beat him down at USC"? 

"

In easily his biggest test of the season, Darnold matched up against Ohio State’s talent-rich defense in the Cotton Bowl. With his elongated release – reminiscent of one Byron Leftwich – and onslaught of bad throws, he looked outclassed, anxious and downright shook, finishing the game with two lost fumbles and an inexcusable pick-six during the Trojans’ 24-7 defeat.

Additionally, Darnold missed on several uncontested throws, a microcosm of a sophomore season in which his accuracy suffered and completion percentage dipped over four full points. Against Ohio State, he displayed next-to-nothing pocket presence while being sacked eight times, the majority of which should have been avoided by better pre-snap reads or throwing the ball away.

29 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Thank you so much.  As I said yesterday, he likely missed him while rolling out because Sam still hasn’t processed the fact that throwing across the field, across your body, is a horrible idea.  He rolled to his left and looked to his right the whole way.  Absolutely horrendous miss.

@More Cowbell wanna keep telling me that you “don’t believe this crap”, that Sam was running for his life, had no time to go through his progressions, and that you don’t need a GIF to tell you what you saw??

CC: @TuscanyTile2.  Here is this the play, not the GIF.  Like I said, the film is exactly the same as my GIF. Honestly, it paints an even worse picture.

Agreed

Bad play by Darnold

29 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Agreed

Bad play by Darnold

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No one is building sh*t around Sam Darnold. No one. Even if we don’t have the top pick next draft, Darnold is not going to be the starting QB. Here or anywhere else.

McClown taught him everything he knows...  how to stay employed in the NFL while being a bad QB.