Is it Darnold or the OLine or poor play design?

Nixhead

The Jets should have plays designed to combat what Buffalo was doing on defense - but they dont or those play weren't called? Maybe the Jets didn't prepare for what Buffalo was doing which looked like a lot of blitzing and that's on our coaches. Maybe our O line is just horrible. Maybe Darnold can't make quick decisions and holds the ball too long. Maybe our receivers can't get open. Jets should have many plays designed with quick drops and quick releases no matter what but I dont think they do. Maybe Darnold just sucks but I didn't see Flacco doing any better and Flacco has tons of experience. So what is the problem?

• Sympathy 1

I thought they were ok in the first half but I think Buffalo started to blitz a lot more and the had no answers. 

I don’t know if it is Darnold not getting them into the right protection and getting the extra guy picked up or the coaches not getting plays where it is get the ball and throw, or the Oline just not holding up. Probably a combo of all three.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

The Jets should have plays designed to combat what Buffalo was doing on defense - but they dont or those play weren't called? Maybe the Jets didn't prepare for what Buffalo was doing which looked like a lot of blitzing and that's on our coaches. Maybe our O line is just horrible. Maybe Darnold can't make quick decisions and holds the ball too long. Maybe our receivers can't get open. Jets should have many plays designed with quick drops and quick releases no matter what but I dont think they do. Maybe Darnold just sucks but I didn't see Flacco doing any better and Flacco has tons of experience. So what is the problem?

One of the knocks on Gase is that his plays take too long to develop.

Combine that with a below average OL plus a QB who can't process information quickly, and here we are.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Darnold and Gaze sucks.

It’s

1) Darnold

2) Coaching

3) OL

Every year Darnold is terrible against the blitz. Every year his performance against the blitz is one of the worst in the league. It’s on him. Then it’s on the coaching staff for not figuring out something super creative to bail him out. Then it’s the OL because they don’t call blitz protections and 1v1 they seem fine.

2 minutes ago, CTM said:

Sacks/ pressures are more of a QB stat than people want to acknowledge 

Darnold always looks for the big play and doesn’t take shorter throws, and that leads to more pressures and sacks.  He still has this hero mentality, but in the nfl you need first downs.  Tom Brady is the king of dinks, use the rbs, use the TEs, short throws, clock management, higher percentage throws, and get the damn ball out.  Get it out.  He has no internal clock, get it out after 3 secs at most.  While i believe this could be coached out of him to an extent, I would rather this be done on another team.  At this point it’s hard to see the jets not being in position to take a qb in the top 2.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

IMO, it still starts with the oline. Darnold doesn’t have much confidence in it and that leads to any of his bad decisions.  The jets have good plays just like every other team. The execution starts from the line.  And two nice plays, pass to Herndon and a run by darnold, we’re called back because of penalty.

• Upvote 1

The OL is terrible and has gotten Darnold into bad habits over the last 2-1/2 years.  Playing from behind most of the time doesn't help either, but regardless of that, at some point the QB has to make plays, and Darnold just can't seem to do this consistently. The QB, OL, WR, all have a hand in the crappiness of this team.

I've been a big Darnold supporter but I'm losing faith and feel that the Jets / Darnold marriage is just not going to work out, regardless of who or what is ultimately to blame.

33 minutes ago, jamesr said:

On 27 pass attempts, Darnold was sacked 5 times, hit 6 more times and hurried 11 times.

So 5 times he threw WITHOUT pressure. What a mess.

In the second half it seemed like he was barely getting his foot down out of his drop when he was feeling contact. Jerry Hughes absolutely dominated the inside of our line. 

I don't understand why we didn't start throwing screens all over with how aggressive they were. That's what I'd hold Sam responsible for not adjusting to - I heard Gannon saying he should have thrown in away in a few occasions where I thought if he'd tried he puts himself at risk of fumbling.  But we shouldn't have been running those plays to begin with.

And when he did...Barrios had one painful drop and Becton a flag negate the rare Herndon appearance. 

1 hour ago, Nixhead said:

I hate to give up on the guy we were all so hopeful for especially since he is only 23 but I'm starting to face the facts.  When someone is good they show it right away, despite weapons or systems or coaching.  Bechton is a keeper and you could tell as soon as he took the field, even with no preseason games and an offensive line that has mostly 5 complete strangers on it.  Joe Burrows is doing well right away just like Deshaun Watson, Lamar Jackson, and Patrick Mahomes.  Darnold will never get to that level. He is like Sanchez, and Geno Smith, 2 QBs with great potential coming out of college but never realizing that potential at the next level.   Sure he might get better with better coaching and weapons but he just doesn't pass the eye test of a franchise QB anymore.  Another team may get more out of him with a better coach and roster but I don't see a super bowl in his future.  It is time to be all in tanking for Trevor and praying that Joe Douglas can get Chris Johnson to pick a coach who won't screw him up.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, jamesr said:

On 27 pass attempts, Darnold was sacked 5 times, hit 6 more times and hurried 11 times.

So 5 times he threw WITHOUT pressure. What a mess.

Put Brady back there and he gets rid of the ball way before 5 sacks 6 hits or 11 hurries.  He doesn't see the field well enough to pull the trigger fast enough.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

This is a team literally on pace to be the worst offense of all time.

It's all of the above - and a bunch of other bad stuff too.

Probably should've forgone all defense and just drafted offense the last couple years the way the NFL is going.

• Post of the Week 1