Is it Darnold or the OLine or poor play design?

Nixhead

1 hour ago, Nixhead said:

The Jets should have plays designed to combat what Buffalo was doing on defense - but they dont or those play weren't called? Maybe the Jets didn't prepare for what Buffalo was doing which looked like a lot of blitzing and that's on our coaches. Maybe our O line is just horrible. Maybe Darnold can't make quick decisions and holds the ball too long. Maybe our receivers can't get open. Jets should have many plays designed with quick drops and quick releases no matter what but I dont think they do. Maybe Darnold just sucks but I didn't see Flacco doing any better and Flacco has tons of experience. So what is the problem?

Yes

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, HawaiisOnlyJetsFan said:

Sorry, but the oline is NOT horrible. Darnold is horrible at recognizing where the blitz is and where the potential free runner is coming from. He is oblivious. That is where the issue is and that is why teams send overloads because he cannot figure out where the free runner is coming from. Period.

There was a lot of that, but Jerry Hughes ate our line all second half too - it wasn't just the blitz's, they got healthy pressure when rushing four. We had pressure constantly in the second half and never adjusted our play calls or adjusted protection to compensate - which is certainly on Darnold and prob also a bit on Loggains calling his first game.

• Sympathy 1

The Jets lost today because of Adjustments or lack there of.

Sam looked competent in the first half. He had a high completion percentage and even checked  down to Perrine a few times as well. I’m not blind, he’s got his flaws but you cannot deny that the offensive play calling doesn’t emphasize his strengths. It’s like watching someone try to stick a square beg in a round hole.

By the way,In the first half, they should have Scored at least three more points if it wasn’t for that dumb 4th and 1 in the shot gun playcall. ( Hello QB sneak?)

Look in the end, The opposition adjusted in the second half by blitzing more. Our side never adjusted. Sam was pressured play in play out and the pass routes looked too long to develope. ( Gotta look at the tape, I know)

Typical Gase. What’s his excuse this time? It’s not like he was too busy making the offensive play calls. 

I wish he’d be fired but I see the writing on the wall, he ain’t going no where unfortunately.

So, who here feels confident that Gase won’t do to Lawrence what Gase has done to Sam? Will Gase actually scheme an offence for Lawrence that will emphasize his strengths or the other way around?

The Johnsons are crazy if they hand over the Lawrence keys to this guy.

I’m glad I went golfing instead watching this slop live.

• Upvote 1

The plays that were called in the second half almost leads me to believe that the Jets were not trying to win the game. If this coaching staff wasn’t so bad I might really believe that. It’s really hard to believe that any team wouldn’t have plays to counter what the defense was doing but the Jets didn’t. It’s hard to believe they would keep running plays that had no chance of success but they did. Also hard to believe they would keep putting Darnold in bad situations but they did. I don’t know what to think any more. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Sam isn’t the player we hoped he be. Sorry but he isn’t. Backup QBs on other teams play and do better than him. The Johnsons went out and got a loser coach because they can control him and JD filled the middle of the line with budget players. Actually the line is worst than what it was last season. So much for that promise JD made to Sam’s parents. 

An offensive team, to win, must be built around the strong and weak points of the QB. Play calling, to win, must be designed around the strengths and weaknesses of the offensive team.

Mr. Samuel Darnold is not good at making pass plays which take a long time to set up. Far too often the result's an incomplete pass, a flag, a pick-off or a sack. The front line is not good at protecting Mr. Darnold for a long time.

'Nuf said. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Is it Darnold? Yes.

Is it coaching? Yes.

Is it the OL? Yes.

Darnold still has potential, but potential and $3.75 can buy you a gallon of 2% milk. He is still young and could possibly come of age on a new team while playing behind another seasoned QB. It's not happening now, or on this team.

Coaching - Gase

Is it the OL? ABSOLUTELY. Any QB playing behind a musical chairs swiss cheese line is going to struggle. Could a better QB adapt? Sure, Darnold is not that QB.

7 hours ago, jgb said:

You put a competent QB and a non-psychotic HC on this team and you’ll be amazed how suddenly the OL and weirponz dont look like dog sheet.

Except they didn't look any better with Flacco under center.  Blitz was getting home against him as well. Was Flacco allowed to audible?  Why didn't Flacco make adjustments at the line to save himself?

I really really don't understand what is wrong with this OL and its protection scheming.  Sorry but it ain't talent,  This group is below average perhaps but not  hapless.    

4 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Except they didn't look any better with Flacco under center.  Blitz was getting home against him as well. Was Flacco allowed to audible?  Why didn't Flacco make adjustments at the line to save himself?

I really really don't understand what is wrong with this OL and its protection scheming.  Sorry but it ain't talent,  This group is below average perhaps but not  hapless.    

Flacco is 47 years old, c’mon man. And kindly note that I said “competent QB and HC.”

I like Joe. His biggest mistake thus far was letting Robby walk. His second biggest mistake was going cheap on the interior o-line. 

There wasn't a ton of options out there (Glasgow was one), maybe he expected Thuney to shake free but we need to focus on upgrading at the guard position moving forward, regardless of QB. 

Just now, K_O_Brien said:

I like Joe. His biggest mistake thus far was letting Robby walk. His second biggest mistake was going cheap on the interior o-line. 

There wasn't a ton of options out there (Glasgow was one), maybe he expected Thuney to shake free but we need to focus on upgrading at the guard position moving forward, regardless of QB. 

How many years (decades?) now have we been talking about upgrading the O line?  This, if anything, shows what a bunch of inept GMs we have had.  Build the goddam O line.  Hey JD: Focus on this goal and get it done already.