Deion Sanders joins the Trevor Lawrence refusing to play for the Jets bandwagon

Jetsbb

22 minutes ago, extmenace said:

I'm not projecting anything. I didn't say he would or wouldn't come here because he'd have to live in NY or because of the media attention. What I was trying to get at is that you made that a positive when its very possible that he could consider that a negative aspect of playing here. 

Now why would he have to live in NY?  The Jets practice and play in NJ.  He could find lots of really nice, upper class neighborhoods to live in NJ.  And take advantage of anything NYC has to offer a young millionaire.  If he wants to experience it or not.  

Love the idea that the surrounding areas of Florham Park is anything like NYC itself.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

The same leverage all humans have. The right to withhold their labor. Again, I think he will sign and play where drafted (#1). But all this stuff about how he’d be a coward loser to tell the Jets to stuff it is just wrong.

NFL players (and all professional sports leagues that have a a draft) DO NOT have leverage. 99.99% of them have ZERO say about where they land in their first job. 

No skin off my back, just take Fields who is the better passer.

That said, what his consolation prize?  Jacksonville, Detroit, Atlanta?  Or if he stays in school, the Jets are more than likely picking #1 overall again, so I really think this is one of the dumbest takes in sports right now.

sh*tty teams draft #1 overall.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

The same leverage all humans have. The right to withhold their labor. Again, I think he will sign and play where drafted (#1). But all this stuff about how he’d be a coward loser to tell the Jets to stuff it is just wrong.

Leverage?

LOL, by holding out, turning down millions and hoping against all hope that the team he turns down isnt the same team a year later?  

No one has ever held out as a #1 pick.  

8 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

NFL players (and all professional sports leagues that have a a draft) DO NOT have leverage. 99.99% of them have ZERO say about where they land in their first job. 

Yeah well, agree to disagree. They have the power not to sign. That is leverage. We could argue if it's a "lot" or a "little" but it is leverage nonetheless. Let's also not discount that Woody is very media-sensitive. If Lawrence is adamant, Woody very well could blink and not want to risk yet another national embarrassment for this team.

7 hours ago, jgb said:

No FAs are coming here unless 1. They are looking for one last money grab before retiring: 2. They have no other options; 3. They are total money pigs—of which there are few in NFL. Jets will destroy your next contract value. Robbie looks like best WR in the NFL and he got a prove it deal from his former college coach. 

This is why Douglas is loading up on late round picks. Teams will be looking to shed good players on bad contracts, the Jets won't be able to attract them via FA so they will send a late round pick and absorb the contract.

I'd bet my bottom dollar, that will be the plan.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

No skin off my back, just take Fields who is the better passer.

That said, what his consolation prize?  Jacksonville, Detroit, Atlanta?  Or if he stays in school, the Jets are more than likely picking #1 overall again, so I really think this is one of the dumbest takes in sports right now.

sh*tty teams draft #1 overall.  

Which of those 3 teams have a better, glowing history in the NFL?  

Why do fan fans think those teams are better landing spots?  Maybe he would prefer Ga given he played HS ball there but what says, hey, I want to play for a winner like Detroit.  Or Jax.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Leverage?

LOL, by holding out, turning down millions and hoping against all hope that the team he turns down isnt the same team a year later?  

I'm not sure the Jets select him #1 overall and risk calling his bluff. Could you imagine Trevor sitting all season and re-entering the draft next season and the Jets don't get anything to show for that #1 pick?

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Yeah well, agree to disagree. They have the power not to sign. That is leverage. We could argue if it's a "lot" or a "little" but it is leverage nonetheless. Let's also not discount that Woody is very media-sensitive. If Lawrence is adamant, Woody very well could blink and not want to risk yet another national embarrassment for this team.

Some of you have such a battered spouse syndrome that I feel sorry. Really.

Yes, he does have the power not to sign. And if the Jets want to play hardball, they can make him sit the entire year. Losing a full year off salary, and taking a year off his career. That will cost him no less than $25m in his career earnings.

And then, he may wind up in the same situation and be drafted by the Jets again. 

Why risk it? Football players play football. They all don't go to ideal situations.

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Which of those 3 teams have a better, glowing history in the NFL?  

Why do fan fans think those teams are better landing spots?  Maybe he would prefer Ga given he played HS ball there but what says, hey, I want to play for a winner like Detroit.  Or Jax.  

I just dont get what they think this guy can do?  He's not part of NFL royalty where he family can throw his weight around and get what they demand.  He's going to go to who picks him #1 overall.  Bottom line. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Some of you have such a battered spouse syndrome that I feel sorry. Really.

Yes, he does have the power not to sign. And if the Jets want to play hardball, they can make him sit the entire year. Losing a full year off salary, and taking a year off his career. That will cost him no less than $25m in his career earnings.

And then, he may wind up in the same situation and be drafted by the Jets again. 

Why risk it? Football players play football. They all don't go to ideal situations.

You don't have to get nasty, Scott. I've already said I believe he will be a Jet. We are "arguing" over you thinking it's 99.99% possible and me 90% possible.

Have a nice day, bud.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, sec101row23 said:

Trevor will play where he is drafted.  He’s not going to force anything.   He’ll welcome the challenge.  

This

And how the hell is going to a team like Jacksonville some sort of grand alternative?

People were saying this same crap last year about Burrow dodging the Bengals.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I just dont get what they think this guy can do?  He's not part of NFL royalty where he family can throw his weight around and get what they demand.  He's going to go to who picks him #1 overall.  Bottom line. 

And as we have discussed, based on early results, Justin Fields is in play for the Jets also. At this time and point, it does not seem like a horrible consolation prize. 

He could actually provide the Jets a little leverage.

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

This

And how the hell is going to a team like Jacksonville some sort of grand alternative?

People were saying this same crap last year about Burrow dodging the Bengals.

Yep, it's click bait garbage, attention seeking sh*t.  This is why I dont watch or listen to any NFL talking heads at all. I dont watch ESPN or NFLN or listen to podcast.  I hear about this sh*t here.  These blowhards are absolute morons.  They just run their jib all day long because they have to fill air time.

I will trust my eyes and opinions over them all day long. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

And as we have discussed, based on early results, Justin Fields is in play for the Jets also. At this time and point, it does not seem like a horrible consolation prize. 

He could actually provide the Jets a little leverage.

Well, you know where I stand on him which is why quite frankly, I'm not sweating it.  I think Trevor Lawrence is the most overhyped player that I can remember in a long long time.   I've said it many time, I dont see it but you know, these NFL guys always get it right! So...

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Leverage?

Because the TEAMS blinked first on the mere threat so it didn't get that far. Jim Kelly is the only example I can think of of a player who said he would refuse to play for a specific team, got drafted by them anyway, and signed.

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

In my opinion the first thing the Jets have to do, is make a signature move that demonstrates some confidence and a vision. To me that means giving Adam his walking papers, regardless how you feel about it, and announce Joe Douglas is the GM with complete control. Get rid of this division of power nonsense. For obvious reasons Adam has to go, but just as importantly Joe needs to be recognized as the sole leader. Can’t do that with Adam still here

After that Joe is going to have to make a slam dunk head-coaching hire. One that instils a ton of optimism and personality. A true program builder and head coach. Not some coordinator guru

Easier said then done  but exactly what needs to happen. You have to approve the appeal of this job to give the appearance of hope. Right now it’s death row and the governors on the front nine and his phone isn’t getting any service..

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Because the TEAMS blinked first on the mere threat so it didn't get that far. Jim Kelly is the only example I can think of of a player who said he would refuse to play for a specific team, got drafted by them anyway, and signed.

Jim Kelly had the USFL to provide leverage. Lawrence to the Canadian league?

Joe Douglas comes off as tough negotiator. You don't want to be on the Jets? Fine, we will trade you. But, he also comes off as a football lifer that can seem to relate to players well. Not a stuffed shirt front office guy. 

10 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

He’s just done stuff with the rest of the Clemson football team during the past 3 years.   He doesn’t have a specific cause or anything at this point.  

It would be a great time (as he is being drafted) to define a charity that is near and dear to him. The Johnsons can come in and create a "match" continuing donation in Lawrence's name. 

This would create buy-in on Lawrence that he is in an organization that cares, and provide immediate PR for him in the NFL world. 

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Jim Kelly had the USFL to provide leverage. Lawrence to the Canadian league?

Joe Douglas comes off as tough negotiator. You don't want to be on the Jets? Fine, we will trade you. But, he also comes off as a football lifer that can seem to relate to players well. Not a stuffed shirt front office guy. 

Was just pointing out that "there has never been a hold out at #1" isn't actually accurate. There was never an exercised hold out, but in the majority of cases, the team blinked and the player got what he wanted.

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

There’s a better chance that you get hired as the Jets next head coach than Dabo being the next coach.  Will never ever happen.  

Never say never re: the NFL.   Well, yes, Jets stuff is pretty much predictable.

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Was just pointing out that "there has never been a hold out at #1" isn't actually accurate. There was never an exercised hold out, but in the majority of cases, the team blinked and the player got what he wanted.

2 cases that I am aware of. And, as previously mentioned many times, that player (Elway)  had, number 1 extreme leverage of a different option, or in the 2nd (Manning) the name value that carried certain weight in NFL circles.

Lawrence has none of those.

Also what is different now is the slotted salaries, in which Lawrence would be giving up a large amount of money if the Jets were to pass him over to #2. Last year that was a $1.6m difference in total salary between the 2 slots.

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

2 cases that I am aware of. And, as previously mentioned many times, that player (Elway)  had, number 1 extreme leverage of a different option, or in the 2nd (Manning) the name value that carried certain weight in NFL circles.

Lawrence has none of those.

Also what is different now is the slotted salaries, in which Lawrence would be giving up a large amount of money if the Jets were to pass him over to #2. Last year that was a $1.6m difference in total salary between the 2 slots.

What a nightmare that would be if Jets pass him because they fear he won't sign without traded the pick for a haul.

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

What a nightmare that would be if Jets pass him because they fear he won't sign without traded the pick for a haul.

Of course, and that is why it won't happen.

OK counselor, you appear to be advising this client that does not want to play for the the team that drafts you overall number 1, in an employment situation where there are collectively bargained positions as to player assignment.

The overall number one has refused to sign twice. In each of those cases, the player had options to other employment.
-John Elway

-Bo Jackson

What is your play here? How do you advise your client?

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Of course, and that is why it won't happen.

OK counselor, you appear to be advising this client that does not want to play for the the team that drafts you overall number 1, in an employment situation where there are collectively bargained positions as to player assignment.

The overall number one has refused to sign twice. In each of those cases, the player had options to other employment.
-John Elway

-Bo Jackson

What is your play here? How do you advise your client?

Can't advise him until I know what he wants. NYC is a great place... for some people. I'd need to sit down with him and his fiancee and hear about their goals, etc. before I could give advice.

In general though, for the vast majority of guys in his position, I'd advise them to go where drafted.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, jgb said:

Can't advise him until I know what he wants. NYC is a great place... for some people. I'd need to sit down with him and his fiancee and hear about their goals, etc. before I could give advice.

In general though, for the vast majority of guys in his position, I'd advise them to go where drafted.

He only has 4 options:

1. Remain in school

-Lose a bundle ($25m+) of lifetime earnings he can never recover.

-Risk injury.

-Have no control over who may draft him next year.

2. Demand a trade

-Have no control over which team you are traded to.

3. Sign with the team that selects you

-Bankroll money immediately

-Know that this only a 5 year engagement, and you then control your own destiny.

-If it is beyond a 5 year engagement, that means you are playing well, and you are then among the highest paid in the league.

4. Hold out

-Lose a year of salary and play experience

-Have no control over where you go next year

32 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

He only has 4 options:

1. Remain in school

-Lose a bundle ($25m+) of lifetime earnings he can never recover.

-Risk injury.

-Have no control over who may draft him next year.

2. Demand a trade

-Have no control over which team you are traded to.

3. Sign with the team that selects you

-Bankroll money immediately

-Know that this only a 5 year engagement, and you then control your own destiny.

-If it is beyond a 5 year engagement, that means you are playing well, and you are then among the highest paid in the league.

4. Hold out

-Lose a year of salary and play experience

-Have no control over where you go next year

The one wildcard is... and it will depend heavily on who Lawrence selects as an agent... do they believe the talking heads that the Jets are a unique factory of QB ruination? If so, they can convince themselves that forcing a trade is likely to increase and not decrease his lifetime earnings, even with the unknown that he could be sent to any one of 10 QB needy teams.

Who he selects as an agent will be interesting. If it's Tom Condon, there may be something behind that.