Deion Sanders joins the Trevor Lawrence refusing to play for the Jets bandwagon

Jetsbb

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Easier said then done  but exactly what needs to happen. You have to approve the appeal of this job to give the appearance of hope. Right now it’s death row and the governors on the front nine and his phone isn’t getting any service..

Indeed. Very challenging. 

but that’s why we’re paying a general manager seven figures. If he’s a the real deal, then this falls within his job description. There’s an managerial/interpersonal component - salesmanship if you will - that a good GM will possess. To tease the Matt Rhules of the world into taking the job.

The truth is a bad franchise is only a good GM away from turning it around. A good GM will get the ownership to stay in their booth, and a good GM will get the right staff in place and make the right pics to turn things around in a jiffy

The truth is a bad franchise is only a good GM away from turning it around. A good GM will get the ownership to stay in their booth, and a good GM will get the right staff in place and make the right picks to turn things around in a jiffy

JD has to be a pimp. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

The people on that bandwagon, are they willing to pay Trevor Lawrence the amount he'd lose if he went back to college? Easy for them to say he should refuse to play when they have no financial stake in it. 

all of the big name college players get insurance in case of injury 

the risk of staying in school is not like it used to be

Some good news....with the outcomes of the games this weekend, our SOS # dropped below .600.

Right now the Dolphins are a single tick higher and we are a lot closer to the pack then we were last week.

Dolphins .589

Jets .588

Falcons .569

Jags .565

Vikes .559

Giants .547

Just as its too soon to know if we'll have the #1 pick, its too soon for those prognosticators to discard us as a destination for the #1. If you have a new HC and the amount of cap and picks we have, why wouldn't we be a solid place to land?

The Natural response is Maccagnan - but I think Douglas wont repeat those mistakes and has enough cred in industry to avoid that lump if he can get a HC that appeals. 

Honestly - its a bigger deal we lure the right HC than anything else and the tank for the #1 is probably more for that then anything else.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, kmnj said:

all of the big name college players get insurance in case of injury 

the risk of staying in school is not like it used to be

Insurance can never replace a players ability to earn $$$  NOW and in the future.  Why on Gods green earth would TL want to start his earning clock a year later, leaving 40 million dollars on the table in the process, and also pushing back the timeline of his eventual free agency where he will earn a 100 million+ second contract?  There is not one advisor or agent alive who is going to encourage TL to stay in school.  

• Upvote 1

Why would anyone want to play in the media capital of the world.  Why would anyone want to play in the greatest city on Earth?  Why would anyone want the success enjoyed by Joe Namath and Eli Manning?  You could get that in Tennessee or Georgia or Minnesota, right?  Why wouldn't you risk tens and possibly hundreds of millions of dollars by playing an extra season in college.  No one gets hurt and, anyway, it's easy to make that kind of money as an insurance salesman or used car dealer if your football career is destroyed in one play.

59 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

They have insurance policies for that. If it was your kid, would you want him playing here?

not sure typical specifics of those policies

but for arguments sake, let's say 50k for a year guarantees him 1 million dollars

or 1 million dollar fee for a year guarantees him $25 million minimum payday

---

I would guess if not similar to those numbers it would still be significant enough to cause the college kid to fall in line.  (this is why they always do fall in line)

probably there is some ego in there as well ... the kids want to get out there and show to everyone how great they will be

---

for my kid regarding how the different organizations stand today (discounting if I'm qb and/or the team needs a qb), I'd choose

NYJ over Jacksonville

NYJ over Cincy

NYJ over Texans

NYJ over Washington Football Team

NYJ over Detroit

---

NYJ = NYG

NYJ - Vikings

---

Cowboys over NYJ

Eagles over NYJ

Atlanta over NYJ

L.A. Chargers over NYJ

---

JMO

11 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

Again, Elway had leverage because not only was he drafted into the MLB but he was drafted by the Yankees. There was a very real chance that he could have chosen to go that route. 

Eli didn't want to play for the Chargers because back then there was no rookie pay scale and picks had to negotiate with the teams to come to terms on their first contracts. The Chargers owners were notorious for not wanting to pay market rate and the Manning's felt they couldn't get the deal that Eli was worth. It had nothing to do with the play of the team or the other players, it was strictly money motivated. Their fears played out because Rivers had to hold out for more than half of camp in order to get a deal signed. That's why Brees started the season. 

So bottom line is that the BIG 2 examples that people like to recall in the last 40 years have situations that don't exist currently. Last I checked Lawrence wasn't drafted by the Yankees, and with the Rookie pay scale, Trevor doesn't have to worry about getting paid. 

There is a reason that these things haven't happened since Eli, step off the ledge people. 

Thank you! 

As miserable as the Jets can be some people enjoy the simple idea of misery

6 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm not sure the Jets select him #1 overall and risk calling his bluff. Could you imagine Trevor sitting all season and re-entering the draft next season and the Jets don't get anything to show for that #1 pick?

Yah, just can see this happening for the first time in the history of the NFL

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jgb said:

Because the TEAMS blinked first on the mere threat so it didn't get that far. Jim Kelly is the only example I can think of of a player who said he would refuse to play for a specific team, got drafted by them anyway, and signed.

Who blinked?  The Chargers got Rivers, who was a better regular season QB.  And Merriman.  And if they didnt make the trade, what was Eli going to do?  Sit out an entire season?  The only unknown was Elway, would he have gone on to play for the Yankees.  

It aint happening, not matter how many times you repeat this story, or imagine that it happened 3 times already.

56 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Who blinked?  The Chargers got Rivers, who was a better regular season QB.  And Merriman.  And if they didnt make the trade, what was Eli going to do?  Sit out an entire season?  The only unknown was Elway, would he have gone on to play for the Yankees.  

It aint happening, not matter how many times you repeat this story, or imagine that it happened 3 times already.

Huh? The chargers traded Eli before even calling his bluff. It's ridiculous to say "that wasn't a hold out." Who knows what would've happened if Chargers didn't cave. They didn't risk it. That's not a "win" for your point. It is for mine, actually.

Honestly, let's say Trevor's agent tells the Jets -- he will not sign, report, play for you if you draft him. Do you really think JD -- given where the Jets are right now -- is going to call that bluff? Or take the trade haul and move on?

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

Huh? The chargers traded Eli before even calling his bluff. It's ridiculous to say "that wasn't a hold out." Who knows what would've happened if Chargers didn't cave. They didn't risk it. That's not a "win" for your point. It is for mine, actually.

Honestly, let's say Trevor's agent tells the Jets -- he will not sign, report, play for you if you draft him. Do you really think JD -- given where the Jets are right now -- is going to call that bluff? Or take the trade haul and move on?

How does that benefit Trevor? He has no control over where he is going in that situation.

What he would actually be doing is robbing the acquiring team of a number of assets (draft picks) in order to help himself. He would actually be hurting his new club.

Jets hold the cards here.

Elway picked where he was going.

Manning picked where he was going.

Trevor does not have that leverage.

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

How does that benefit Trevor? He has no control over where he is going in that situation.

What he would actually be doing is robbing the acquiring team of a number of assets (draft picks) in order to help himself. He would actually be hurting his new club.

Jets hold the cards here.

Elway picked where he was going.

Manning picked where he was going.

Trevor does not have that leverage.

Scott -- we're not even disagreeing. Not sure why you're trying to create a debate. We agree, dude. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, jgb said:

Exactly what I said.  If the Chargers weren't happy with Rivers and picks for Eli, how the hell does anyone know what Eli would have done?  Exactly.  You actually believe that Eli would have sat out the entire year?  OK, I dont 

No one wants to be this kind of dick.  Eli caught grief but they did exchange equally rated QBs wasnt a big deal

Elway was trashed everywhere.  

Hes not going to do it, just like all the calls for players to turn down the browns went unanswered.  You have no idea who picks you a year later.  You risk millions and a public fallout without a guarantee of improving your situation.  I know, the Lions and their impressive playoff history, the Falcons, etc etc is enticing.  Who would want to play in NY, in front of sold out crowds.

Yeah, call his bluff, lets see who backs down first.  I figure, it never happening gives us the answer.  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Exactly what I said.  If the Chargers weren't happy with Rivers and picks for Eli, how the hell does anyone know what Eli would have done?  Exactly.  You actually believe that Eli would have sat out the entire year?  OK, I dont 

No one wants to be this kind of dick.  Eli caught grief but they did exchange equally rated QBs wasnt a big deal

Elway was trashed everywhere.  

Hes not going to do it, just like all the calls for players to turn down the browns went unanswered.  You have no idea who picks you a year later.  You risk millions and a public fallout without a guarantee of improving your situation.  I know, the Lions and their impressive playoff history, the Falcons, etc etc is enticing.  Who would want to play in NY, in front of sold out crowds.

Yeah, call his bluff, lets see who backs down first.  I figure, it never happening gives us the answer.  

The point is not whether he would hold out or not. Almost no GMs risk it and call that bluff. If Lawrence tries to pull an Eli (unlikely) and JD calls that bluff and wipes out, he'll never work in the league again.

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

The point is not whether he would hold out or not. Almost no GMs risk it and call that bluff. If Lawrence tries to pull an Eli (unlikely) and JD calls that bluff and wipes out, he'll never work in the league again.

I bet the house if your scenario work out that way,  no one is going to rip JD for not backing down to a spoiled rotten player trying to manipulate the system.  A system thats been in place and worked for years on end.  In fact I'll bet that JD is praised so that others dont pull the same shlt with other teams picking high, or anywhere.  Hey, I dont want to go to the Browns with the 11th pick, pick me and ill sit out.....People wanted SD and Baltimore to do just that with Elway and Eli

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

I bet the house if your scenario work out that way,  no one is going to rip JD for not backing down to a spoiled rotten player trying to manipulate the system.  A system thats been in place and worked for years on end.  In fact I'll bet that JD is praised so that others dont pull the same shlt with other teams picking high, or anywhere.  Hey, I dont want to go to the Browns with the 11th pick, pick me and ill sit out.....People wanted SD and Baltimore to do just that with Elway and Eli

Yeah, I am sure we here at JN will take a very measured approach if JD calls the bluff of a kid who doesn't want to play here and gets nothing for the first 1st overall we've had in 25 years.

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yeah, I am sure we here at JN will take a very measured approach if JD calls the bluff of a kid who doesn't want to play here and gets nothing for the first 1st overall we've had in 25 years.

WTF, how many times can you say the same things trying to convince anyone that this is a real thing?

You want to think for some unknown reason that he would rather play for another losing team, good for you.  I dont buy it for a second.  If it happens, screw him, makes him a pussy, take Fields and move on. Hes not tough enough to play here, good for him, I dont want him then, shlt happens anywhere.   Its not that complicated.  

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

WTF, how many times can you say the same things trying to convince anyone that this is a real thing?

You want to think for some unknown reason that he would rather play for another losing team, good for you.  I dont buy it for a second.  If it happens, screw him, makes him a pussy, take Fields and move on. Hes not tough enough to play here, good for him, I dont want him then, shlt happens anywhere.   Its not that complicated.  

I'll tell you what, if you can round up all the Darnold excuses makers and get them to agree to stop pounding that anvil, I'll give up on this one. Let me know how that goes.

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

I'll tell you what, if you can round up all the Darnold excuses makers and get them to agree to stop pounding that anvil, I'll give up on this one. Let me know how that goes.

Not getting what one has to do with the other.

Not at all.

Nfl needs to grow a set of balls, step in and control this situation.

if you go into the draft you play for whoever drafted You. End of story.

eli is a pos and should have never been allowed to play a snap. You just can't let these punk ass kids Undermine the whole draft order system , which happens to be fair

10 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Nfl needs to grow a set of balls, step in and control this situation.

if you go into the draft you play for whoever drafted You. End of story.

eli is a pos and should have never been allowed to play a snap. You just can't let these punk ass kids Undermine the whole draft order system , which happens to be fair

Tough talk but the NFL (and pro sports leagues in general) are already skirting the grey zone of labor practices/anti-trust laws. Imagine you graduate and get "drafted" to work at Harvey's House of Computers in Topeka when you really want to work at Google in Cali--and the interest is mutual. Then, if you you refuse to report to Harvey's, no one else in the computing industry would hire you and make you wait to see who "selects you" the following year. NFL does need to provide some pathway to earn a living even if you absolutely refuse to play for who drafts you. Making you sit a year, would already been completely illegal in any other context. What else can they do? Get together with the other GMs and agree to blackball a player who refuses to "go where we done told to go?" I'd love to know how much the NFL paid Kaepernick to drop his lawsuit. That was never about Kaepernick. The NFL was petrified to have a court ruling against coordination/collusion between the 32 individually-owned franchises in the NFL regarding a player who they just didn't like as a person.