Deion Sanders joins the Trevor Lawrence refusing to play for the Jets bandwagon

Jetsbb

1 hour ago, jgb said:

That which points you don't like "repeated" are based on biases and thus not worthy of compliance.

Actually the points I dont like is you harping how Lawrence could/would/should/ turn the Jets down, you know so you can laugh at everyone.  

No shlt, any first overall type could avoid a team if they want.  Every year.  

They dont.  But keep repeating it, to people who keep saying that we'll move onto Fields.  

22 hours ago, STLuLu said:

Knowing the Jets this will be the year they sweep the Pats and lose the first overall pick so I think Trevor is safe. 

I’m warning you guys.  The Jets always get meaningless late season wins and I think even Belichick knows his team stinks

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Tough talk but the NFL (and pro sports leagues in general) are already skirting the grey zone of labor practices/anti-trust laws. Imagine you graduate and get "drafted" to work at Harvey's House of Computers in Topeka when you really want to work at Google in Cali--and the interest is mutual. Then, if you you refuse to report to Harvey's, no one else in the computing industry would hire you and make you wait to see who "selects you" the following year. NFL does need to provide some pathway to earn a living even if you absolutely refuse to play for who drafts you. Making you sit a year, would already been completely illegal in any other context. What else can they do? Get together with the other GMs and agree to blackball a player who refuses to "go where we done told to go?" I'd love to know how much the NFL paid Kaepernick to drop his lawsuit. That was never about Kaepernick. The NFL was petrified to have a court ruling against coordination/collusion between the 32 individually-owned franchises in the NFL regarding a player who they just didn't like as a person.

Not sure tour analogy is valid.

TL can apply to work anywhere he wants anywhere in the world. 

but if he wants to play in the nfl, he goes and complies with draft rules and thats that.

your analogy is like a kid gets out of college and wants to work for lockheed martin. He then tells the interviewer he will only work in the largo florida location even though there are openings in ohio and kansas. I dont think any prospective employer would allow a bully no matter how talented to dictate what specific office he will be in.

youre making a simple thing very complicated. The nfl should just say that anyone Considering the draft must go where he gets picked or play out tour senior year and try again. Anyone that refuses to play for who drafted them  is not eligible to play in the nfl. Simple. Theres no collective bargaining or fair labor issueS here. Its a private business, work where you are offered work or go teach or flip burgers or change tires its a free country 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

but if he wants to play in the nfl, he goes and complies with draft rules and thats that.

your analogy is like a kid gets out of college and wants to work for lockheed martin. He then tells the interviewer he will only work in the largo florida location even though there are openings in ohio and kansas. I dont think any prospective employer would allow a bully no matter how talented to dictate what specific office he will be in.

youre making a simple thing very complicated. The nfl should just say that anyone Considering the draft must go where he gets picked or play out tour senior year and try again. Anyone that refuses to play for who drafted them  is not eligible to play in the nfl. Simple. Theres no collective bargaining or fair labor issueS here. Its a private business, work where you are offered work or go teach or flip burgers or change tires its a free country 

The difference being that Lockheed Martin is indisputably a single entity and thus cannot by definition collude with itself. NFL walks the knife's edge -- alternatively acting as 32 separate entities -- 33 including the league office -- or as one entity, as it benefits them.

19 hours ago, Maxman said:

1.  Season ends

2. Gase gets fired

3. Douglas is in good graces again because he had a good draft: Becton, Mims, Perine and the Jets have the most cap room in the NFL

4. New head coach is hired

5. Everyone says the Jets are a great place to play; new coach, all these draft picks, all this cap room

This is a non story. If the Jets get the 1st pick Trevor Lawrence is playing here.

You tell em Boss. “ Trevor you have  my most sincere apologies”

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually the points I dont like is you harping how Lawrence could/would/should/ turn the Jets down, you know so you can laugh at everyone.  

No shlt, any first overall type could avoid a team if they want.  Every year.  

They dont.  But keep repeating it, to people who keep saying that we'll move onto Fields.  

Your argument is based on the slander that I don't pass some "real fan test" to your satisfaction. Well guess what, bucko, I can say anything I want about this team. I've earned that right.

16 minutes ago, jgb said:

Your argument is based on the slander that I don't pass some "real fan test" to your satisfaction. Well guess what, bucko, I can say anything I want about this team. I've earned that right.

Its not based on slander, has nothing to dow with a "real fan test".  Actually, your comments have nothing to do with being a fan.  

Say whatever you want "bucks" but guess what, I get to tell you what I think about it.  Just as you do.

Earned the right?  Id think we all have

On 10/25/2020 at 11:42 PM, Jetsfan4life90 said:

The people on that bandwagon, are they willing to pay Trevor Lawrence the amount he'd lose if he went back to college? Easy for them to say he should refuse to play when they have no financial stake in it. 

How would he "lose" money? Because he's not making money that one year he stays in college? He's still going to make the money. If he's going to have a, for example, 15-year career, why would he make less money if he just delays the start of it one year? It doesn't mean that he plays less years overall.  The ONLY reason he would lose money would be if he were to go back to school and suffer a career-ending injury.

One could argue he'd actually make more money by not going to the Jets, because he may be able to go to a team that is good enough for him to earn a bigger second contract. If he's drafted by a team that is remotely competent, his chance to garner a mega contract is significantly higher. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Its not based on slander, has nothing to dow with a "real fan test".  Actually, your comments have nothing to do with being a fan.  

Say whatever you want "bucks" but guess what, I get to tell you what I think about it.  Just as you do.

Earned the right?  Id think we all have

Yep, keep telling other people how often then can share their opinion. Totally the same thing.

9 minutes ago, jacarter220 said:

How would he "lose" money? Because he's not making money that one year he stays in college? He's still going to make the money. If he's going to have a, for example, 15-year career, why would he make less money if he just delays the start of it one year? It doesn't mean that he plays less years overall.  The ONLY reason he would lose money would be if he were to go back to school and suffer a career-ending injury.

One could argue he'd actually make more money by not going to the Jets, because he may be able to go to a team that is good enough for him to earn a bigger second contract. If he's drafted by a team that is remotely competent, his chance to garner a mega contract is significantly higher. 

1) It's because he could suffer a career-ending injury that he'd be taking a big risk. It's simply not that easy a thing to do when you have guaranteed money staring you in the face.

2) Most teams that draft #1 overall are bad teams.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

1) It's because he could suffer a career-ending injury that he'd be taking a big risk. It's simply not that easy a thing to do when you have guaranteed money staring you in the face.

It is virtually certain Trevor will come out no matter who is drafting #1 and will play for them.

But it's also newsworthy when another high profile person says he should avoid the Jets.

The aghast, pearl-clutching reaction to this "debate" is just classic "kill the messenger" mentality.

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yep, keep telling other people how often then can share their opinion. Totally the same thing.

Actually its what youre doing. My opinion is that TL has no choice.  Yours is it would be a blast around here if he did, you'd laugh.  Good for you, your right. 

All I have said is you've made it clear and you keep repeating yourself in every TL thread.  Seems youre trying to convince people its a better than good possibility and thats ridiculous.  Also my opinion.  I've earned the right

Nowhere have I said you cant voice your opinion.  Once, twice, three times.....

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually its what youre doing. My opinion is that TL has no choice.  Yours is it would be a blast around here if he did, you'd laugh.  Good for you, your right. 

All I have said is you've made it clear and you keep repeating yourself in every TL thread.  Seems youre trying to convince people its a better than good possibility and thats ridiculous.  Also my opinion.  I've earned the right

Nowhere have I said you cant voice your opinion.  Once, twice, three times.....

Dude, you're so off base it's sad and just another way to accuse me of not being a real fan. Maybe you should focus on things don't get your spun up rather than trying to micro-manage a debate on the Internet.

2 hours ago, jgb said:

The difference being that Lockheed Martin is indisputably a single entity and thus cannot by definition collude with itself. NFL walks the knife's edge -- alternatively acting as 32 separate entities -- 33 including the league office -- or as one entity, as it benefits them.

The nfl is one entity as well. Each team works for the nfl

46 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

The nfl is one entity as well. Each team works for the nfl

26 minutes ago, jgb said:

Sometimes.

Yep.  Revenue sharing, legalized collusion through a hard salary cap, and the existential threat to the sport (concussions) ties the teams together behind the "shield".  Despotism runs wild as well, where teams are constantly recommending the same people to get hired by each other.  They all want to keep the gravy train going, and will sometimes do things to help each other out to ensure this.  

But then you have the Patriots cheating scandals (where briefly all teams were united against one), preferential treatment given to certain teams and QB's, departures in philosophy on kneeling, etc.  Demonstrating some big differences between how teams are run and the "haves" vs "have nots".

5 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Isn't that pretty much how it works?

Jets draft him, he can either play for the Jets and get paid or not play at all and not get paid - and the Jets own his rights (I don't know for how long though)

I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Now, there are two options...

1) He can stay in school which would be an insane choice

2) He can say he will NOT play for the Jets and essentially understand he'll have to sit out and not get Paid - with the hopes of the Jets trading him.

I just don't see it happening.  Jets get #1 overall, TL will be a Jet and play for the Jets.

53 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  Revenue sharing, legalized collusion through a hard salary cap, and the existential threat to the sport (concussions) ties the teams together behind the "shield".  Despotism runs wild as well, where teams are constantly recommending the same people to get hired by each other.  They all want to keep the gravy train going, and will sometimes do things to help each other out to ensure this.  

But then you have the Patriots cheating scandals (where briefly all teams were united against one), preferential treatment given to certain teams and QB's, departures in philosophy on kneeling, etc.  Demonstrating some big differences between how teams are run and the "haves" vs "have nots".

Another big one where they are suddenly individual entities is when it comes to tax treatment. The league itself stays undercapitalized on purpose. Almost all revenues are passed to teams -- and thus the tax liability is borne by them --  the league office basically only carries the budget needed for operations and salaries. The latest data I could find from a quick Google search was that the NFL itself reported only $9M in revenues for 2012, which is less than Goodell's salary alone. I guarantee the league shows an annual loss on its books and hasn't paid federal (or state, probably) taxes since 2015 when it voluntarily gave up its tax-exempt status -- what does that tell you?

• Upvote 1

On 10/26/2020 at 10:39 AM, Philc1 said:

After seeing us ruin a talented young qb like Sam who can blame him?

The Jets, NFL and Football media will get behind the Jets.  

As they make the following claims:

1) New coach - this has to be the first and biggest move.  Bring in a good coach and this all goes away.  Bring in another Gase type or keep Gase and there's a big problem.

2) Draft - Jets will have 3 picks in the top 33.  QB at 1 - and then offense with the the next two.

3) Trade Darnold - another mid-round pick - and no controversy.

4) Cap money - for which the Jets must spend big on at least one big-time WR and one big-time OL

5) You have, possibly, the best LT in football coming into his second year.

6) Hopefully Mims shows something too - to make this job appealing.

When this story is laid out to TL, his agent, his family, his GF and ESPN - everyone will be on board with him coming to NY.  

• Upvote 1

On 10/27/2020 at 12:31 PM, Jetsfan4life90 said:

This is true. But the Jets are HISTORICALLY bad. The Bengals just drafted number 1 overall, but are at least remotely competent.

26 minutes ago, jacarter220 said:

This is true. But the Jets are HISTORICALLY bad. The Bengals just drafted number 1 overall, but are at least remotely competent.

The Bengals were 0-11 last year until we gave them their first win. Most teams picking #1 are 'historically bad' at the half point of the season