Drafttek Mock Draft

extmenace

With the picks we got from seattle, we have 6 picks in the top 100. Since we have nothing to look forward too, here is their current mock draft. What do you guys think? I dont follow college as much as I used to but I'm hoping with those first 3 picks, if we have the number 1 pick, we go TL then go WR and OL.

https://www.drafttek.com/2021-NFL-Mock-Draft/2021-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round-1.asp

Round 1 (pick#1): Trevor Lawrence

The Jets' most-recent game was a kind of a "Tell-All" moment for the state of the franchise this year. In the run-up, the Jets couldn't find any takers for the expensive Le'Veon Bell and ended up releasing him. Bell has struggled to find any form since his arrival, but to release him was still a bit of a surprise. For the game itself, the Jets had more offensive plays, had better Time of Possession, won the turnover battle, allowed just one 3rd-down conversion all game, and still lost by 24 points, failing to register a single point themselves. Shortly after the game, Team Captain and fan favorite, Steve McClendon, was traded to the Bucs, signaling the end of the Jets' efforts for the year.

CMDTrevorLawrence1.jpg

Upon the raising of the white flag, and looking at the remaining schedule, the Jets could join the 2017 Browns and the 2008 Lions as teams with a 0-16 record. Upon examining the current Jets, and those other winless teams, one thing that sticks out is that the Jets have even less-productive outside pass rushers than either. So far this year, the Jets' OLBs have an 8.3% Pressure Rate, compared to 8.8% by the 2017 Browns and 8.9% by the 2008 Lions. They have also struggled hugely against the run, with a 4.9% Run Stop rate, compared to 6.2% by the 2017 Browns, and 5.5% by the 2008 Lions.

With the likelihood of yet another high draft pick and possibly the 1st overall, Trevor Lawrence continues to look like the best option at this point in time. If Joe Douglas decides to ride with Darnold, finding a highly-touted pass rusher is long overdue and would go a long way to making the Defense a far-better unit moving forward, but is there Bosa or Chase Young worthy of consideration with this pick?

Check out our new Team Page feature, the Jets' Team Page shows the entire roster of NYJ picks for Consensus Mock Draft #7 centralized on one page.

Rich Tinley - Drafttek Jets Analyst

Round 1 (pick #32): Jayson Oweh / Edge / Penn State

With Lawrence taken atop of the round, the Jets could go a lot of ways with this pick. Beefing up the protection is how most teams would play it, but one area of the roster that looks better than its 2019 version is the Jets' O-Line. Joe Douglas made fixing the line a priority last off-season, and with new additions of RT Fant, OC McGovern and Rookie LT Becton looking like big upgrades so far, Douglas may look to strengthen another area of the team here.

With the Jets having back-to-back picks in this CMD, I would expect them to come away with 2 players at either WR, CB, or Pass Rusher. We have yet to see current RD2 pick, WR Denzel Mims, take the field due to injury, but it looks like he will be back soon. Another new addition at WR, Perriman, has also missed time but showed some flashes upon his return in Miami. One would hope that between them, they can show enough before the end of the season to be more comfortable at WR moving forward. That would leave CB and Pass Rusher as the most likely options at Picks #32 and #33.

Round 2 (Pick #33): Asante Samuel Jr. / CB / Florida State

Round 3 (pick #65): Tylan Wallace / WR / Oklahoma St.

Round 3 (pick #95): Drake Jackson / Center / Kentucky

Round 4 (pick #96): Journey Brown / RB / Penn State

Round 5 (pick #128): Sadarius Hutherson / OG / South Carolina

Round 6 (pick #175): J.D Speilman / WR / Nebraska

3 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

That would definitely be so Jets. Draft TL then go defense back to back.

Ok. Except in THIS draft they go Offense the rest of the way, lol. 

You can't just ignore Edge and CB, two positions the Jets desperately need addressed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

It looks like if we are going by how the Drafttek mock plays out, Mukuamu is still on the board and I would take him over Samuel Jr. just b/c I really want someone who can play on the outside and I think Samuel Jr. will most likely be relegated to the slot in the NFL. Then at 33 I would take big Trey Smith, assuming his health issues are behind him, instead of Oweh. I like Oweh and the Jets DO need an Edge but the value is not there IMO. They may as well take a more developmental pass rusher later on like Rumph or Shaka Toney- both chosen in Rd. 3 of this mock.  

My mock would look something like this in the first 3 rounds:

-Lawrence

-T.Smith

-Mukuamu

-T.Wallace

-S.Toney

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Actually, the goal should be to surround Lawrence with as many high skill players on offense and give him a chance to succeed. Building a well rounded team is a distant second. 

I would rather watch Lawrence put up 5k yards passing and go 0-16 again then watch Lawrence struggle but win 4-5 games because our defense is now marginal. 
Once Lawrence is established you can go all defense in the 2022 or 2023 for all I care. 

That's fine and I def agree but you can do it in a number of ways. I don't want a bunch of rookies and second year guys protecting Trevor and out there trying to get open. He should have some vets as well. He should have some semblance of a well rounded team starting to take shape, not a crap team that keeps losing because they can't stop the pass game and/or have invested a ton of cash in a CB who is over the hill, which happens so often. Thats my concern. 

This can be a pretty quick 'rebuild' if the Jets do it right and if TL is indeed 'the guy'. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Actually, the goal should be to surround Lawrence with as many high skill players on offense and give him a chance to succeed. Building a well rounded team is a distant second. 

I would rather watch Lawrence put up 5k yards passing and go 0-16 again then watch Lawrence struggle but win 4-5 games because our defense is now marginal. 
Once Lawrence is established you can go all defense in the 2022 or 2023 for all I care. 

Well there's that and the fact that defense is dead.  Even Nick Saban realizes the days of having a great defense, doesnt matter.  Scoring does.  

The Jets with the worst talent on D in the entire NFL just forced Buffalo to 5 FG's and kept them out of the endzone.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Well there's that and the fact that defense is dead.  Even Nick Saban realizes the days of having a great defense, doesnt matter.  Scoring does.  

The Jets with the worst talent on D in the entire NFL just forced Buffalo to 5 FG's and kept them out of the endzone.

More than half the teams playing yesterday score 28 or more points.  Nine of those scored 33 or more.   You NEED to be able to score 30 points in any given game to survive in the NFL.   

Throw the bank at Chris Godwin and Joe Thuney in FA, trade Darnold for a 2nd to some team like New Orleans, Pittsburgh or Indy, then...

1st round: QB Trevor Lawrence

1st round: C Creed Humphrey 

2nd round: RB Najee Harris

2nd round: TE Pat Freiermuth

3rd round: EDGE Ronnie Perkins 

3rd round: CB T.J. Carter

2021 Starting offense

QB Trevor Lawrence

RB Najee Harris

WR Chris Godwin

WR Denzel Mims

WR Jamison Crowder

TE Pat Freiermuth

LT Mekhi Becton

LG Joe Thuney

C Creed Humphrey 

RG Connor McGovern

RT George Fant/Chuma Edoga

That’s how you set up your young franchise QB to succeed.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

I want OL ,2 WRs with the next 3 picks after TL preferably. I settle for 1 WR id Etienne or one of the TE fall to us. 

I also want JD to fill every hole on the team over one summer! ? So all of that plus an edge. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Don't forget that the Bills were without John Brown, a key figure for them, and their top two tight ends. That is a large part of their offense and enabled the Jets to double Diggs.

This is going to be a long rebuild. They need numerous OLs, one of which has to be a capable center. They need another WR to compliment Mims (who, to be fair, is still an unknown) and to replace Perriman. On defense, they still need a pass rusher and a couple of LBs, and that is assuming the Austin and Bryce Hall will be decent. All of this is just to obtain decent starters, we're not even talking about any depth. This is not going to be solved in one or two drafts.

I haven't addressed QB yet. I am done defending Darnold. I think he could still be a good QB, but not with the Jets. I agree that Lawrence looks good, but he has been on teams with superior talent his entire football career. None of us have any idea how he will perform on a team of substandard talent.  And there is no guarantee that he will not go back to school.

I would prefer to trade the top picks for a boatload of picks to shore up the rest of the team first. here is always another franchise QB  coming. Kyler Murray, Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Mayfield, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson and Mahomes have all been drafted in the last 3 years. There is no reason  to believe that trend will not continue.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Throw the bank at Chris Godwin and Joe Thuney in FA, trade Darnold for a 2nd to some team like New Orleans, Pittsburgh or Indy, then...

1st round: QB Trevor Lawrence

1st round: C Creed Humphrey 

2nd round: RB Najee Harris

2nd round: TE Pat Freiermuth

3rd round: EDGE Ronnie Perkins 

3rd round: CB T.J. Carter

2021 Starting offense

QB Trevor Lawrence

RB Najee Harris

WR Chris Godwin

WR Denzel Mims

WR Jamison Crowder

TE Pat Freiermuth

LT Mekhi Becton

LG Joe Thuney

C Creed Humphrey 

RG Connor McGovern

RT George Fant/Chuma Edoga

That’s how you set up your young franchise QB to succeed.

Definitely some good moves here. They need to beef up the OL.  Thuney is a major upgrade over Lewis and getting a center allows McGovern to slide to G which is his better position. Instantly you have improved the OL in 3 areas.  Godwin or JuJu or Robinson at WR are a must for a rookie QB.  Mims looked really raw out there in his first game.  And a bull RB like Najee would be awesome. We haven't had a runner like that since Riggins and you can see what the Titans have in Henry. They are very similar rb's and both come from Alabama.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jets4Life1979 said:

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl/mock_draft

tankathon has us taking Lawrence, Olave and Etienne OMG that would be amazing

Rather have a C with that 2nd 1st rounder. Two rookie wr’s wouldn’t be wise with a rookie QB. Get an established, polished top line WR (JuJu, Robinson, Godwin) for Trevor to go along with Mims. It takes pressure off of Mims and TL and improves the OL which needs to be upgraded. Just one move like this vastly improves the offense. 

4 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I was just thinking this earlier today.  Keep drafting offense and I can live with us losing 40-42.  When was the last time we scored 40?

1 - Trevor Lawrence - QB - Clemson

1 - Creed Humphrey - C - SU

2 - Travis Etienne - RB - Clemson

3 - Paulson Adebo - CB - Stanford

3 - Charlie Kolar - TE - Iowa State

4 - Amari Rogers - WR -Clemson

This team would be soooooo much better off if Douglas had drafted a 2nd Wr last year as this crop is not nearly as deep it seems to me.

25 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

1 - Trevor Lawrence - QB - Clemson

1 - Creed Humphrey - C - SU

2 - Travis Etienne - RB - Clemson

3 - Paulson Adebo - CB - Stanford

3 - Charlie Kolar - TE - Iowa State

4 - Amari Rogers - WR -Clemson

This team would be soooooo much better off if Douglas had drafted a 2nd Wr last year as this crop is not nearly as deep it seems to me.

Better off as not being in the running for the #1 pick?

5 hours ago, PepPep said:

Ok. Except in THIS draft they go Offense the rest of the way, lol. 

You can't just ignore Edge and CB, two positions the Jets desperately need addressed. 

When you draft a QB first overall, you ignore everything else until he is protected by a great O line and has playmakers.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JiF said:

100%.

The Jets current defense has no playmakers. It's filled with JAGs and nobodies. And yet, if the offense had a pulse they're good enough to win games.