Sign in to follow this  
TMAC

45, 43, 39, 37, 37, 35, 33, 27, 27, 25, 23, 22, 18

These are the points scored by the winning teams in Week 7.  The Jets scored 10 and lost to an opponent that was held to six field goals.  The Jets average 12.1 per game.  In the last three games, they scored a total of 20 points.  In the second half of yesterday's loss to the Bills, they accumulated 4 total yards from scrimmage in the second half of the game.  I really don't want CJ to fire Gase until the season ends.  Keeping him around is the best chance we have of getting the number one pick.  Even if Trevor Lawrence manages to avoid becoming a Jet, we have a good shot of getting a very high quality player.  My only concern is that CJ is so incompetent and stupid that he might not fire Gase--or might not fire him soon enough. Also, anyone who believes Gase is coaching where the future of football is going should not be involved in any way in the hiring of the new HC or any other football decision for that matter.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, TMAC said:

These are the points scored by the winning teams in Week 7.  The Jets scored 10 and lost to an opponent that was held to six field goals.  The Jets average 12.1 per game.  In the last three games, they scored a total of 20 points.  In the second half of yesterday's loss to the Bills, they accumulated 4 total yards from scrimmage in the second half of the game.  I really don't want CJ to fire Gase until the season ends.  Keeping him around is the best chance we have of getting the number one pick.  Even if Trevor Lawrence manages to avoid becoming a Jet, we have a good shot of getting a very high quality player.  My only concern is that CJ is so incompetent and stupid that he might not fire Gase--or might not fire him soon enough. Also, anyone who believes Gase is coaching where the future of football is going should not be involved in any way in the hiring of the new HC or any other football decision for that matter.

I was like....are those the numbers from LOST?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Realistically, what options does Trevor have?  You either: 1) stay in school for another year at great economic risk; 2) or don't play professional football.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The longer the Jets wait to fire Gase, the more likely they are to get the overall #1 pick and, at the same time, convince those that care about Lawrence's future that he should never play for the Jets

How would making an interim HC make the Jets more or less appealing?

If they hire a proper HC, with all their pics, it can turn around.  

• Upvote 1

Thought this was a keno thread. Love me some keno.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, TMAC said:

Realistically, what options does Trevor have?  You either: 1) stay in school for another year at great economic risk; 2) or don't play professional football.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.

See: Manning, Eli

• Upvote 4

Just now, chirorob said:

How would making an interim HC make the Jets more or less appealing?

If they hire a proper HC, with all their pics, it can turn around.  

It would show that the Jets are capable of making a correct decision and are not and absolute train wreck of an organization. If it results in Darnold not getting hit as much through either better protection schemes or properly teaching Darnold how to recognize a blitz and execute a hot read (I have no idea if he can), it show the Jets as an organization care about the well-being of their QB.

It is NOT about the team. It is NOT about winning or losing. It is about the organization, which is currently viewed as the gang that can't shoot straight. They need to change that narrative. Doing something now, rather than forcing their players to play for a clearly incompetent HC, helps change the narrative. 

Your way -- waiting -- could work, BUT it would have to be a pretty special hire of a HC to change what is becoming a rock solid narrative.

13 minutes ago, TMAC said:

Realistically, what options do the Jets have if Lawrence says he will not play for the Jets? After drafting a player who outright refused to play for them they either 1) watch him sit out and be true to his statement; 2) watch him pout and complain his way through camp to shoot his way out of Dodge (see e.g. Jamal Adams); or 3) trade him for far less than you'd get for the pick because teams now know you have no other choice but to trade him. 

The Jets need to send a "plant" reporter to a Clemson press conference and have them ask Lawrence if he'd play for the Jets if they finish 0-16 and draft him.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

See: Manning, Eli

Couldn't every college player theoretically do that to the Jets this coming draft and we end up with no one? 

Aside from a couple of former players spewing crap and reporters generating clicks, what actual info do we have to suggest that Lawrence will pull a move like Eli? 

10 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Realistically, what options do the Jets have if Lawrence says he will not play for the Jets? After drafting a player who outright refused to play for them they either 1) watch him sit out and be true to his statement; 2) watch him pout and complain his way through camp to shoot his way out of Dodge (see e.g. Jamal Adams); or 3) trade him for far less than you'd get for the pick because teams now know you have no other choice but to trade him. 

The Jets need to send a "plant" reporter to a Clemson press conference and have them ask Lawrence if he'd play for the Jets if they finish 0-16 and draft him.

Why? 

We will find out after the college season when he hires an agent. On the off chance that he refuses to play for the Jets we can trade the pick for a boatload of picks to move down 1 spot and take Fields. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Couldn't every college player theoretically do that to the Jets this coming draft and we end up with no one? 

Aside from a couple of former players spewing crap and reporters generating clicks, what actual info do we have to suggest that Lawrence will pull a move like Eli? 

The difference is that the #1 pick this year would have outrageous trade value. Lawrence (or his agent) would know that the Jets are unlikely to risk walking away with nothing if there is a credible threat that Lawrence won't sign.

11 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Why? 

We will find out after the college season when he hires an agent. On the off chance that he refuses to play for the Jets we can trade the pick for a boatload of picks to move down 1 spot and take Fields. 

I guess to stop the rampant speculation. But, your way works too.

Wait 

the Jets offense is bad? 

james earl jones what GIF

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

If we're sitting at #1, TL's team literally will have input into Gase's replacement.  He'd be here...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The longer the Jets wait to fire Gase, the more likely they are to get the overall #1 pick and, at the same time, convince those that care about Lawrence's future that he should never play for the Jets

This is the big risk, if you tell me we are GUARANTEED to get the 1st pick fine but we are not.

If we keep Gase and he continues to destroy the team and players who once looked promising and we squib off a few late wins then the pain is not worth it .

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

If we're sitting at #1, TL's team literally will have input into Gase's replacement.  He'd be here...

And if I’m the #1 pick and the team is asking ME who to hire as HC, I’m running away, far away.

20 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

And if I’m the #1 pick and the team is asking ME who to hire as HC, I’m running away, far away.

So you're the Johnsons, you've just been thru a humiliating 0-16 run, you've just fired Gase and the whole staff, TL is undeclared for the draft. and you're NOT going to send out feelers to TL's camp about your HC short list?  C'mon...

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

So you're the Johnsons, you've just been thru a humiliating 0-16 run, you've just fired Gase and the whole staff, TL is undeclared for the draft. and you're NOT going to send out feelers to TL's camp about your HC short list?  C'mon...

if you have the #1 pick you don't have to send out feelers, you can just pick u the phone and call him.  lol

12 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Do we ask them who we should pick in the draft too?

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Do we ask them who we should pick in the draft too?

Dude...  If you don't think CJ's selection of the next HC of the NYJ isn't going to play into the calculus of Team Trevor's decision to stay in school or declare, then, whatever...

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

They may not necessarily come out and ask him but they will be talking to any and everybody to figure out who is most likely to have him succeed. They will base their HC search on Trevor 100% if we land #1

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

They may not necessarily come out and ask him but they will be talking to any and everybody to figure out who is most likely to have him succeed. They will base their HC search on Trevor 100% if we land #1

They need to make sure 100% he's not going to pull an Eli.  The new HC is probably the biggest factor in that. That's my only point...

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Dude...  If you don't think CJ's selection of the next HC of the NYJ isn't going to play into the calculus of Team Trevor's decision to stay in school or declare, then, whatever...

His soon to be agent, likely CAA, may request to be consulted to have a kind of veto power over the coach hire, but if you think the Agency is going to stick their necks out and say they want a certain coach (and risk it blowing up in their face), then whatever... 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

His soon to be agent, likely CAA, may request to be consulted to have a kind of veto power over the coach hire, but if you think the Agency is going to stick their necks out and say they want a certain coach (and risk it blowing up in their face), then whatever... 

We agree. 

7 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Nonsense. You keep Gase on and at the two minute warning of the 4th quarter of the last game of the year, and behind 45-6, CJ calls security and they usher Gase off the field. On the scoreboard, it reads: “Gase has just been fired immediately. GW has been named interim HC and will be fired as well after the game. A new HC search is underway immediately for our new FQB Trevor Lawrence. See you all next year.  Go Jets!!!”  

4 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Nonsense. You keep Gase on and at the two minute warning of the 4th quarter of the last game of the year, and behind 45-6, CJ calls security and they usher Gase off the field. On the scoreboard, it reads: “Gase has just been fired immediately. GW has been named interim HC and will be fired as well after the game. A new HC search is underway immediately for our new FQB Trevor Lawrence. See you all next year.  Go Jets!!!”  

New FQB? Who was the old one?

• Haha 1

Just now, Sonny Werblin said:

New FQB? Who was the old one?

I think there’s been like 25 since Namath 🤮