Trade Sam to the Cowboys for a first round pick

Philc1

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Waddle is John Ross to me. I’m super weary of speedy guys without an elite trait to track the ball while it’s in the air.

Devonte Smith is also athletic enough imo.

Waddle is more Santana Moss than John Ross IMO. He's smooth and has great short area quickness.

Smith is like 174 pounds and runs a 4.53. Great routes, but I dunno if I'm spending a high first round pick on a guy like that.

22 hours ago, jgb said:

Is that true though? Let's put Peyton Manning aside. Tannehill performed competently under Gase and Cutler had his best year under him. That's it. Those 3 guys + Darnold are who Gase has worked with as OC or HC.

Tannehill got benched under Gase.  He’s now winning playoff games and going nuts with the titans

E68408CF-7883-49E2-81B0-BF47241B713C.thumb.jpeg.a5ca84cb1297e3a789a4c6f623557aac.jpeg

• Haha 1

The fact that Dallas isn't bringing in any QB's this week tells me they have basically no plans to go all in this season, even in the weakest division in NFL history.  They're rolling with DiNucci and Garrett Gilbert until Dalton is healthy enough to return.  

Why on earth would they want to give up a high pick for Darnold in that light?

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The fact that Dallas isn't bringing in any QB's this week tells me they have basically no plans to go all in this season, even in the weakest division in NFL history.  They're rolling with DiNucci and Garrett Gilbert until Dalton is healthy enough to return.  

Why on earth would they want to give up a high pick for Darnold in that light?

I had no idea the cowboys decided not to sign Hackenberg or Petty.  That’s clearly an indicator they are tanking for trevor

On 10/26/2020 at 10:27 AM, Greenseed4 said:

As much as I want two 2s from the Colts, they have two third round picks this year,  so we may have to settle for a 2 and a 3 (2021).

Dallas is on course to land a top-5 draft pick, not sure they’d part with that for Sam. 

If they win the division which is still very possible, they would have a later pick.  I bet they are thinking about what moves they can make to squeeze as much juice out of this season as possible. Remember, the cap is going to down next year. Lots of teams will have to be disassembled.  This is the time. 

On 10/26/2020 at 10:14 AM, Philc1 said:

1. The full on tank for Trevor is on

2. Cowboys absolutely need a qb.

3. Cowboys would essentially be getting Sam on a cheap 2 year deal.  They can see if he’s the real deal for them playing with a better OL, WRs and coaching staff until Dak is ready to return in 2 years

4. Jets get a 1st to draft a WR like Jamar Chase to pair with Trevor Lawrence or a Justin Fields 

5. Everyone wins

Not a chance.. As bad as the Division is I get they’re never out of it. But they also know they’d have zero shot at beating a legitimate playoff team. Why blow draft capital on a lost season?

On 10/26/2020 at 10:17 AM, Young Jetty said:

Lets be real, no one is trading a first round pick for Sam. There is three years worth of footage on his lack of growth with a looming contract year coming. 

I would be happy with a 2nd rounder at this point.

More than a few think Sams problem is a lack of talent on the Jets and with their coaching over Sams time with the Jets.

37 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Remember, the cap is going to down next year. Lots of teams will have to be disassembled.  This is the time. 

This is why draft picks this year will be a premium...Cap strapped teams are not going to be trading them away. Teams will want to draft and pay way less than the flood of FA's on the market next year.

And I don't think any team would give a first day pick for Darnold...he's damaged goods.

We will get their first round pick and it won’t cost us Darnold.  

Dallas will be the team that backchannels Trevor Lawrence and tells him to hold out on the Jets pre-draft.  He goes to the Cowboys and their manipulation punishment comes in the form of first rounders.  

SAR I

• Haha 1

Oh, look, my Peaches and Herb 45, 'Reunited'! I can't sing, but I'll do it anyway!

REUNITED AND IT FEELS SO GOOD! REUNITED 'CAUSE WE UNDERSTOOD! THERE'S ONE PERFECT FIT, AND SUGAR, THIS ONE IS IT! WE BOTH ARE SO EXCITED 'CAUSE WE'RE REUNITED HEY, HEEYYYYYYEeeyyy!

Oh, silly me, Fatmouth Jamal went to Seattle. :/

On 10/26/2020 at 10:50 AM, JTJet said:

Sam.

Is.

Not.

Getting. 

Traded.

Before. 

We.

Have. 

Secured.

The. 

First.

Pick.

In.

The.

Draft.

AND.

Trevor.

Lawrence. 

Declares. 

... end of story. 

just about ready to say the same thing.  much as getting a first rounder or even high second attractive, it would be pretty meaningless unless he is replaced with a better QB prospect, and that's lawrence at this point.  there's too much variability at the moment.

• Upvote 2

On 10/26/2020 at 10:17 AM, Young Jetty said:

Lets be real, no one is trading a first round pick for Sam. There is three years worth of footage on his lack of growth with a looming contract year coming. 

I would be happy with a 2nd rounder at this point.

Agree... NO ONE is going to give a first round pick for Sam.  Perhaps not even a second round ...

• Upvote 1

On 10/26/2020 at 10:23 AM, kmnj said:

sam is not worth more than a third which the jets would waste as they always do

if the cowboys were smart they would get winston

As we go down this thread Darnold’s value has gone from a 1st, to a 2nd, to a 3rd. Do I hear a 4th?

• Upvote 1

On 10/26/2020 at 10:50 AM, JTJet said:

Sam.

Is.

Not.

Getting. 

Traded.

Before. 

We.

Have. 

Secured.

The. 

First.

Pick.

In.

The.

Draft.

AND.

Trevor.

Lawrence. 

Declares. 

... end of story. 

This is as simple as it gets.  I don't understand why people can't comprehend this.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

As we go down this thread Darnold’s value has gone from a 1st, to a 2nd, to a 3rd. Do I hear a 4th?

Remeber when we were only getting a 3rd rounder for Jamal?

If we get the #1 pick and Trevor declares, I have no doubt we will get a 1st for Sam.

• Upvote 1

On 10/26/2020 at 7:50 AM, JTJet said:

Sam.

Is.

Not.

Getting. 

Traded.

Before. 

We.

Have. 

Secured.

The. 

First.

Pick.

In.

The.

Draft.

AND.

Trevor.

Lawrence. 

Declares. 

... end of story. 

10 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

This is as simple as it gets.  I don't understand why people can't comprehend this.

Maybe cause it’s 20 one word sentences spaced out by different lines?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Gibby said:

Not a chance.. As bad as the Division is I get they’re never out of it. But they also know they’d have zero shot at beating a legitimate playoff team. Why blow draft capital on a lost season?

Without Prescott they are out of it.  Dalton was horrible before the concussion 

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

Remeber when we were only getting a 3rd rounder for Jamal?

If we get the #1 pick and Trevor declares, I have no doubt we will get a 1st for Sam.

Why is Darnold comparable to Adams?  I can't stand Adams but at least he's good at something on a football field.  

No one is giving us a 1st.  You'd be basically handing the keys to Darnold, not merely adding him as competition for the job or as a project QB.  That's career suicide for a GM.

A late 2nd rounder, maybe.  The Dolphins gave up a 2 and a 5 for Rosen, but he'd only been in the league 1 season (13 starts) at the time.  There's 3 seasons of sh*tty data on Darnold.

On 10/26/2020 at 7:14 AM, Philc1 said:

1. The full on tank for Trevor is on. Doesn't mean the Jets get him.

2. Cowboys absolutely need a qb.  But the Jets may need a QB too and already have the guy you're suggesting could help the Cowboys.

3. Cowboys would essentially be getting Sam on a cheap 2 year deal.  They can see if he’s the real deal for them playing with a better OL, WRs and coaching staff until Dak is ready to return in 2 years.  Or the Jets could keep Sam, upgrade their OL and WRs so that he plays closer to his end of 2018 and end of 2019 seasons when he was a Top 10 QB.

4. Jets get a 1st to draft a WR like Jamar Chase to pair with Trevor Lawrence or a Justin Fields.  Or just trade down from #2 or #3 if that's where the Jets end up after JAX gets the #1 pick, then take Jamar Chase and Kyle Pitts in Round 1? 

5. Everyone wins.   How long have you been watching the Jets?  :P 

Come On Reaction GIF by NBA

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

Maybe cause it’s 20 one word sentences spaced out by different lines?

Well, some people are too dense to understand a paragraph. So....

Not my fault we have 200 asshats on here that live in fantasy land. 

5 hours ago, Ben Had said:

This is why draft picks this year will be a premium...Cap strapped teams are not going to be trading them away. Teams will want to draft and pay way less than the flood of FA's on the market next year.

And I don't think any team would give a first day pick for Darnold...he's damaged goods.

Thats actually a good point.  It's funny. The word was that Seattle parted with 2 1sts for Adams because the picks are devalued due to covid and the threat of college football being cancelled. Now it's seemingly the opposite. JD has done a very good job setting the Jets up to have a strong draft AND be very active in FA. 

I still think teams are going to fall back to their previous thinking in many cases though. Old habits die hard. A lot of these guys are dinosaurs and have an inability to be progressive in thought. Usually the Jets would fall right into that category. lol 

It will be interesting to see how this all rolls along. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

And then what happens when lawrence doesn't want to play for us since everyone in the media is advising him against it? What happens if we somehow suck less than another team? Can't trade darnold unless you secure Lawrence so darnold has to stay with team until atleast the draft.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobikle app

IMO if you’re drafting Lawrence it’s because you don’t believe in Darnold, not just because you think he’s cheaper for 3 of the next 4 years, or because you think he’s a slight upgrade. If you believe in Darnold, the return we could get for trading out of the #1 spot with Lawrence there would be insane. 

Just saying, you either believe in in Darnold or you don’t, and belief in Darnold should not change based on the availability of TL. Both sides should move on and, his massive hype aside, Lawrence isn’t the only QB coming out this year and if he stays in school there will be others. Look at it this way, 2012 had a can’t miss QB go #1, and when the dust settled by 2019-2020, the 3rd and 4th QBs taken are now looking better than the 1st and certainly the 2nd one taken. 

It’s not Lawrence or nobody.

On 10/26/2020 at 7:14 AM, Philc1 said:

1. The full on tank for Trevor is on

2. Cowboys absolutely need a qb.

3. Cowboys would essentially be getting Sam on a cheap 2 year deal.  They can see if he’s the real deal for them playing with a better OL, WRs and coaching staff until Dak is ready to return in 2 years

4. Jets get a 1st to draft a WR like Jamar Chase to pair with Trevor Lawrence or a Justin Fields 

5. Everyone wins

Not sure we get a first for Sam and not sure Id want to trade him away but it is what it is, I think the facts of the situation suppose we are going to be having the first pick in the draft and I can imagine us not talking Trevor.