NBC's Cris Collingsworth's plan to save the Jets matches top head coach candidate with rookie QB

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Harbaugh & Douglas - Don't see how that would work. Harbaugh is a control freak which is why he was thrown out of SF. Plus he's a Rex type run first HC.  We need a dynamic offensive mind with a no nonsense attitude that would change the culture as well as open up this putrid offense. 

rams.gif

Someone like a Mcvey from the Rams, Kingsbury from the Cardinals, etc. would be the type to pair up with Douglas. That is what we were trying to do with Gase, but he is just not the offensive mind we were led to believe and is a bad motivator as well as bad game manager. Aside from all of that I guess he is swell. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Bieniemy has as much to do with KC’s success as Gase did with Denver’s. No thanks.

Exactly!  I mean, it's possible Bieniemy would be good but how would we ever know considering he's been given a (likely) all-time great QB to work with.  I love that these idiots like Peyton and Collinsworth are willing to pair us with guys they've decided deserve a break. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

No way

Go all out and make a move for someone like Jim Harbaugh.

Get a proven HC and culture changer. Not another goddamn coordinator that doesn’t even call the plays.

I'd be fine with Harbaugh too.  I like the idea of a fiery leader (with a track record of success in the NFL) to try to kickstart this team.  

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I want no part of Bienemy or Harbaugh. 

- Swinney (not happening)

- Riley (not happening)

- Urban Meyer, unlikely but since he's not in a contract already I like his chances more than the 2 listed above

- Greg Roman, Ravens connection for Douglas, built offenses for Tyrod Taylor, Alex Smith, Kaep, and Lamar Jackson - Lawrence seems to be cut of a similar mold. Builds his offense around the talent he has.

- Joe Brady, coached under Sean Payton, had the most prolific offense in college history with LSU, and is now making Teddy look legit. Unfortunately he is so young that I'm not sure he'd be able to put together a solid coaching staff yet.

I've got a few more names kicking around Daboll and Campbell are interesting options as well.

McVey did okay but he was smart and one of his first moves was to get wade phillips for his defense.

The dude from iowa state was being talked about a while back as a Rhule type team builder culture changer.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

No way

Go all out and make a move for someone like Jim Harbaugh.

Get a proven HC and culture changer. Not another goddamn coordinator that doesn’t even call the plays.

I don't want my head coach calling plays. I want him to concentrate on being a head coach and leader... a leader who, among other things, will hire a competent offensive coordinator (of his choosing) to call the plays.

Why is everyone so down on Bienemy? He’s worked with Reid and Mahomes and has put together an unstoppable scheme out there. He’s definitely be a guy I’d want working closely with Trevor Lawrence if we draft him. I think he’d be my first candidate choice as of now

2 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Why is everyone so down on Bienemy? He’s worked with Reid and Mahomes and has put together an unstoppable scheme out there. He’s definitely be a guy I’d want working closely with Trevor Lawrence if we draft him. I think he’d be my first candidate choice as of now

Because "Bienemy worked with Mahomes" sounds a lot like "Gase worked with Peyton" to me.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Because "Bienemy worked with Mahomes" sounds a lot like "Gase worked with Peyton" to me.

I guess, but with Gase we already saw him out in Miami so kinda knew what he was about. I’d hire him based on this video alone actually. Sounds like a guy who’s locked in and results driven. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Lawrence is a great prospect but Mahomes is unique and nobody is recreating Kansas City.

I see Lawrence in a read option heavy system in year 1.  He still doesn’t really play under center much. 

He can be thought to. Every QB have to learn at some point. 

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Bieniemy does not seem like a great head coach candidate to me. I’m not sure he’d be a great overall manager of the team. And if the main reason to get him is because of offense then I’d be concerned about how much of Kansas City‘s credit goes to him versus Andy Reid, Mahomes and the talent they have there. He does not even call the plays on offense.

There are also some fairly significant concerns about off the field behavior and issues from his past. I’m not saying he’s a bad guy or that he hasn’t changed from who he was years ago but when you are the HC and the face of the franchise you really need to be an exceptional candidate in order to take on those types of risks.

Taking an offensive coach from under Andy Reid would feel like getting one of Belickick’s defensive coaches to become your HC.

I couldn’t find anything about his “off field behavior” Or issues you speak of. What happened with him? 

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Ugh. With this bienemy stuff. We’re talking about a guy who does not even manage his own department. He’s supposed to come to this cursed franchise and weather the onslaught from our fan base and media? It’s an uphill battle. We need a battle ax who doesn’t give one$hit about that stuff and who can CEO his top tier coordinators

I’m going to look more into his resume but he’s about the scariest candidate I can think of.
Greg Roman all day or court the Clemson coach over to the NFL To go with his young QB

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Well in that case it sounds like Bienemy is a guy you should want. Bill Belichick is the only DC and Andy Reid is the only OC who are successful HCs. If you think about all the great coaches that coached in the league, none where coordinators. They were just good managers and teachers. Being a great coordinator doesn't automatically make someone a great HC. History shows that for the most part, a great coordinator is just a great coordinator...nothing more.

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

NBC’s Cris Collinsworth’s plan to save the Jets matches top head coach candidate with rookie QB

Updated 8:21 AM; Today 6:08 AM 

Things could not be worse for the New York Jets. They own the worst record in the NFL (0-7) and are run by a head coach (Adam Gase) who’s considered a dead man walking.

But brighter days could be ahead for general manager Joe Douglas and acting owner Christopher Johnson, if they follow the two-step plan laid out by NBC Sports' Cris Collinsworth, who broke down the Jets while talking to Peter King for his “Football Morning in America” column.

When asked to pick a coach most likely to turn around a struggling team, Collinsworth named Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy.

All these owners and GMs, they call you. Because we meet everybody. Bieniemy’s a dynamic personality, obviously he’s been in the room with Andy Reid, with the most creative of offenses. Is he the play caller? No, but it’s about play design. It’s about play creation. It’s about knowing the type of athlete you need to put together those kinds of creative offenses. And he’s a great guy. ...

After that, Collinsworth said his first move would be to find a new franchise quarterback.

I’m taking [Clemson QB] Trevor Lawrence with the first pick. I watched that kid play the other day. Talking about it with Richard Sherman, and he was saying, ‘You know, you got Sam Darnold, he’s been a top 5 pick. You could trade away the number one pick and you could set up your franchise for the rest of your life.’ I’m like, no way. In New York City? If they pass up the number one pick? If they don’t draft Trevor Lawrence, for the next six months, there is only one headline on the back pages of every one of those newspapers that you blew it, and that was the chance of a lifetime and you didn’t take it.

So basically, Collinsworth’s plan to save the Jets is to build a new version of the Chiefs.

I’m re-creating Kansas City everything. Trevor Lawrence is the same kind of player that Patrick Mahomes is. He can move. He’s creative. He’s been good for a long, consistent period of time. And then I’m going out and I’m finding all the (Travis) Kelces and (Clyde) Edwards-Helaires I can find. I’m just re-doing Kansas City.

It’s somewhat ironic that Collinsworth thinks the Jets should become the East Coast version of the Chiefs because on Sunday, New York visits Kansas City for a Week 8 matchup, giving running back Le’Veon Bell a chance to face the team which released him just two weeks ago.

So we are going from Peyton Manning to Chris Collinsworth in picking our next coach. Can some drop CJ's phone in a toilet before Collinsworth calls him.  

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Gase was privileged enough to get the Jets' coaching job after sucking in Denver, Chicago, and Miami where Bienemy hasn't been given an opportunity yet so no they're not a like. 

I don’t think the goal should be to get a coordinator and give him the title of HC.

I would be looking for guys that can be actual HCs. Listening to Bieniemy, I think he has HC written all over him. Who cares if he’s not calling play? Get an OC who can do that. I want a CEO type of HC who can teach, lead and motivate the guys. This is Bieniemy from what I can gather listening to his interviews.

The other guy I think can be a good HC and mesh well with JD is Greg Roman. I’d also add Matt Campbell and David Shaw to the list.

36 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I guess, but with Gase we already saw him out in Miami so kinda knew what he was about. I’d hire him based on this video alone actually. Sounds like a guy who’s locked in and results driven. 

Good example. I think people are missing the boat with Bieniemy by viewing him as a guy who’s just going to benefit the offense. I’ve listened to a few of his interviews and he comes off as a guy who can be a quality HC.

• Upvote 1

People sell Bieniemy short around here, he's a great leader who knows how to manage egos very well.  You should hear about how that Minnesota team back in the day with Chester Taylor and AP w/ Percy Harvin, Favre etc.  Brad Childress was the coach, the whole offense credits Bieniemy with keeping that team together because they were all ready to kill each other and they were a play away from the Super Bowl.

I think he has some uncanny leadership ability and he's learning from a true offensive genius.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

NBC’s Cris Collinsworth’s plan to save the Jets matches top head coach candidate with rookie QB

Updated 8:21 AM; Today 6:08 AM 

Things could not be worse for the New York Jets. They own the worst record in the NFL (0-7) and are run by a head coach (Adam Gase) who’s considered a dead man walking.

But brighter days could be ahead for general manager Joe Douglas and acting owner Christopher Johnson, if they follow the two-step plan laid out by NBC Sports' Cris Collinsworth, who broke down the Jets while talking to Peter King for his “Football Morning in America” column.

When asked to pick a coach most likely to turn around a struggling team, Collinsworth named Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy.

All these owners and GMs, they call you. Because we meet everybody. Bieniemy’s a dynamic personality, obviously he’s been in the room with Andy Reid, with the most creative of offenses. Is he the play caller? No, but it’s about play design. It’s about play creation. It’s about knowing the type of athlete you need to put together those kinds of creative offenses. And he’s a great guy. ...

After that, Collinsworth said his first move would be to find a new franchise quarterback.

I’m taking [Clemson QB] Trevor Lawrence with the first pick. I watched that kid play the other day. Talking about it with Richard Sherman, and he was saying, ‘You know, you got Sam Darnold, he’s been a top 5 pick. You could trade away the number one pick and you could set up your franchise for the rest of your life.’ I’m like, no way. In New York City? If they pass up the number one pick? If they don’t draft Trevor Lawrence, for the next six months, there is only one headline on the back pages of every one of those newspapers that you blew it, and that was the chance of a lifetime and you didn’t take it.

So basically, Collinsworth’s plan to save the Jets is to build a new version of the Chiefs.

I’m re-creating Kansas City everything. Trevor Lawrence is the same kind of player that Patrick Mahomes is. He can move. He’s creative. He’s been good for a long, consistent period of time. And then I’m going out and I’m finding all the (Travis) Kelces and (Clyde) Edwards-Helaires I can find. I’m just re-doing Kansas City.

It’s somewhat ironic that Collinsworth thinks the Jets should become the East Coast version of the Chiefs because on Sunday, New York visits Kansas City for a Week 8 matchup, giving running back Le’Veon Bell a chance to face the team which released him just two weeks ago.

cant really argue with him, i mean that is not a bad plan and much better than what we are doing now. The very first post someone says get harbaugh...well that isnt a bad idea either again very much better than what we are doing now. Look at what harbaugh did in SF he showed that he can build around and modify his offense to suit his players. Such a simple concept. SO really cant go bad either way.

Im all for them both!

2 hours ago, JTJet said:

You need to get a better understanding of what happened with Harbaugh in SF. It wasnt Harbaugh that was the control freak, it was the GM he was working with. 

Harbaugh being difficult is a complete myth. 

A GM has his role as does a head coach. If they can’t co-exist then what’s the point. Just find one person and give both jobs to that individual. I don’t know one team where one guy is in total control other than Landry and Lombardi. 

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

As I said before, he might be good.  I'm just saying that it's hard to trust the success he's had when he's been fortunate enough to work with Patrick Mahomes (and Andy Reid and that tremendous offense).  Are we going to risk making the "Gase mistake" (believing in an OC because he had success with a HOF QB) twice in a row? 

3 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Lawrence is a great prospect but Mahomes is unique and nobody is recreating Kansas City.

I see Lawrence in a read option heavy system in year 1.  He still doesn’t really play under center much. 

Neither did Mahomes.  Or Watson.  Or a slew of others, thats the college game

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

As I said before, he might be good.  I'm just saying that it's hard to trust the success he's had when he's been fortunate enough to work with Patrick Mahomes (and Andy Reid and that tremendous offense).  Are we going to risk making the "Gase mistake" (believing in an OC because he had success with a HOF QB) twice in a row? 

What are our other options? And don’t say Harbough cause he’s not coming unless he has full control of the franchise. 

• Upvote 1

Like the Greg Roman thought. Whether its Lawrence or if we get Fields as a consolation, we have to move on from Sam Darnold, I've seen enough. At least with a base RPO offense like they created for Lamar, Roman could do the same for Lawrence or Fields out of the gate. Food for thought, do you think the Buffalo Bills could EVER hold Trevor or Justin to 4 yards of offense over the course of a whole half? 

I do not. I think it’s just plain bizarre to see anyone do that. Especially after our first half. It boils down to in game adjustments. Buffalo made them and the gase/loggains combo had no answer.
It’s pee wee coaches against the pros.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He might be.  Or he may be very good.  So hard to tell.  But keep in ming, the same Andy Reid we're quick to use as the reason Bieniemy is a good candidate stated under Holmgren with Favre .

22 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I dont see how this would be similar to the "Gase mistake"-  Gase was a failure at HC in Miami and all the red flags that were a concern with him in Miami has followed him here.  He also was bad in Chicago too after he slobbered Peyton's nob in Denver. 

Further, Gase was like a Football dweeb who worked his way up from a ball boy.  I know coaches dont need to be player but when you look at Bieniemy's career - he been under the Ried coaching tree for a while - played for him, then joined Childress, went to his Alma Mater and then went back to the NFL under Ried.  Idk - a little different then someone who just jumped around from job to job trying to find a place to stick.  While I respect that about Gase, I think in comparison Bieniemy has had better mentorship an is more connected to the game.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

A GM has his role as does a head coach. If they can’t co-exist then what’s the point. Just find one person and give both jobs to that individual. I don’t know one team where one guy is in total control other than Landry and Lombardi. 

Maybe so. But the SF situation wasnt as you painted it... 

Trent Baalke had a hissy fit after Harbaugh wanted more say so with personel, and fired him - Harbaugh was 44-19.

Trent Baalke then promoted Jim Tomsula - Tomsula was 5-11. 

Trent Baalke then went and hired Chip Kelly - Kelly was 2-14. 

Trent Balke subsequently got fired.

Harbaugh was not the problem....Ever. 

It's a complete myth. The man is well respected amongst every organization he has worked with, including the 49ers, and he has been a winner at every stop of the way with his head coaching career. 

The definition of a proven and stable commodity. 

18 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

What are our other options? And don’t say Harbough cause he’s not coming unless he has full control of the franchise. 

[If we get Trevor Lawrence the options below become a lot more feasible]

I'd love for us to at least try to convince Urban Meyer to come here.  I realize the odds are very, very slim (probably even WITH Trevor) but I'd absolutely make that call.

I'd also be up for trying to throw a ridiculous amount of money at Matt Campbelll to come here.  He might even be my #1 choice right now because Urban tends to have a short shelf life with teams.  Campbell is only 40 years old and could be the kind of guy who can coach a team for 20 years.  Talk about an ideal scenario!

Jim Harbaugh would be a good hire too.  He's obviously had success in the NFL and is a complete no-nonsense type guy.  This team needs a major kick-in-the-arse.

Right now these are my top 3.  I have a few lesser candidates in mind who aren't great but they could at least stabilize the franchise:

-Jim Caldwell

-Doug Marrone (should he become available) 

-I know people will HATE this one (and I wouldn't thrilled about it either) but even a guy like Jason Garrett would be a massive improvement over Gase.  In retrospect, I bet Dallas would prefer him over Mike McCarthy.