Becton highlights

thshadow

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Game looks so easy for him to the point that even his mistakes look like they'll be aberrations. Just a matter of this kid staying focused and he's going to be an all-pro. To be doing this a rookie is just astonishing.

Thank you so much Gettleman for taking the human turnstile that is Andrew Thomas. 

Yes... makes it even sweeter that the Giants picked the wrong guy... not sure why, but it is :)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Becton is beautiful. So many posters on here leading up to the draft were so high on him. Rarely have I seen JN so united on a prospect.

That said, funny how all of JD’s poor personnel decisions over the last 20 months get washed away by the Big Macc memes crowd because he had the wherewithal to take the biggest can’t miss guy in the draft. I’m cautiously optimistic about him but next we’ll be seeing “Exec of the year” posts by the same crowd, not having learned their lesson from last time. 

At least JD didn’t over think it, he took the obvious guy.   I loved the Mims selection as well, I thought he did as well as he could given the trades in the second round.   The rest of the draft?  We’ll see.  

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

This is way too optimistic considering who we are talking about, but if Clark can play RG and Edoga could stay healthy and replace Fant, we could have our starting OL set for awhile. Could still draft a C if one was there, and move McGovern to the other G.

Getting a blue chip prospect at center will really solidify this line.   If you’re strong at LT and C, it’s easier to fill out the rest of the o-line IMO.  

• Upvote 4

Just now, sec101row23 said:

Getting a blue chip prospect at center will really solidify this line.   If you’re strong at LT and C, it’s easier to fill out the rest of the o-line IMO.  

Don't follow the college game as closely as you and a bunch of the other guys do, but I think Northwestern has a C who opted out who is a possible 1st rd guy, and Kentucky has a pretty highly rated one too.

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

I don't recall consensus here on Becton. There was a lot of wringing of hands.

I don’t know if there was consensus across all of the board, but there was a bunch of us who had Becton as the preferred choice at 11 since February.   The only question was whether he would be available.  Thankfully Arizona took Simmons, that really opened the door for Becton at 11.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Don't follow the college game as closely as you and a bunch of the other guys do, but I think Northwestern has a C who opted out who is a possible 1st rd guy, and Kentucky has a pretty highly rated one too.

Meyers from Ohio State is another guy worth watching as well.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Coffee Is Great said:

This is some A1 revisionist history. The biggest "can't miss" guy of the draft fell to 11th, let alone a "can't miss" LT? That's some aggressive negative spin you're putting on the situation. When there is a can't miss LT in a draft they don't make it past #3 unless it's a loaded QB draft.

Plenty of Jets fans were adamant about taking a WR. Some fans wanted Wirfs. Becton was not viewed as THE guy nor as a can't miss prospect.

Wirfs looks like a turnstile in Tampa.  Granted he’s just a rookie but still the guy didn’t even play LT in college anyone with a brain knew he was a project and Becton was the better prospect

13 hours ago, KRL said:

Its not surprising that Becton doesn't pick up holding penalties.
All he has to do is push someone with one hand and they are out
of the play

No defender wants to be near him. You want to get in front of 370 pounds of pissed off? 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Once he gets experienced and polishes his technique I expect him to be all pro

He may be pretty close already on size and strength alone. Opening day vs. the Bills they ran Bell behind him1 play, popped for 12 yards and then...yeah, they never went back to that. Total incompetence. GORE UP THE MIDDLE AGAIN. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Bugg said:

He may be pretty close already on size and strength alone. Opening day vs. the Bills they ran Bell behind him1 play, popped for 12 yards and then...yeah, they never went back to that. Total incompetence. GORE UP THE MIDDLE AGAIN. 

Gase is a clown.  It’s incredible people are still defending this guy here “oh Tannehill wasn’t that bad in Miami”

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

I’m sure he will, need to get him as many reps as possible.  That could be one less need for next season. 

Both Thuney and Scherff should be available next off-season so worst case, if we still have a need and are looking for a place to spend some of our mountains of cap, OG will have some great (if expensive) options.  But yeah, I'd love to see if we can develop Clark into a starting quality OG and use the money on something else.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Becton is beautiful. So many posters on here leading up to the draft were so high on him. Rarely have I seen JN so united on a prospect.

That said, funny how all of JD’s poor personnel decisions over the last 20 months get washed away by the Big Macc memes crowd because he had the wherewithal to take the biggest can’t miss guy in the draft. I’m cautiously optimistic about him but next we’ll be seeing “Exec of the year” posts by the same crowd, not having learned their lesson from last time. 

Please link to a single person referring to Becton as a can't miss prospect before the draft. Just one.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

A lot of people were very high on him. The person I quoted claimed he was a can't miss prospect and an easy pick. The post you quoted doesn't claim he's can't miss.

I agree, there were a lot of ?’s about him, playing weight was a big one.  

Those 2 posters stood out as big proponents from pretty early on.

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

At least JD didn’t over think it, he took the obvious guy.   I loved the Mims selection as well, I thought he did as well as he could given the trades in the second round.   The rest of the draft?  We’ll see.  

Agreed, he gets credit for the obvious pick. Thought Mims would turn out to have the best career of WRs in the draft so clearly I was very high on him and loved it too. However, other than Mann, I was down on the rest of the draft. Not too happy with a lot of the non-draft roster moves either, but have to give him credit for his JA trade. Now he just needs to nail those picks. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Coffee Is Great said:

This is some A1 revisionist history. The biggest "can't miss" guy of the draft fell to 11th, let alone a "can't miss" LT? That's some aggressive negative spin you're putting on the situation. When there is a can't miss LT in a draft they don't make it past #3 unless it's a loaded QB draft.

Plenty of Jets fans were adamant about taking a WR. Some fans wanted Wirfs. Becton was not viewed as THE guy nor as a can't miss prospect.

The mere fact that 2 OT's went before him screams that he was anything but "can't miss".  In addition, at least one other team that could have used a LT (Cardinals - pick # 8 ) passed on him to take a non-OL.  

The "can't miss" label was handed to Andrew Thomas, who already looks like he might be a bust.  Becton was a high risk, high reward guy, and many analysts, experts, and posters here thought Wirfs would have been the better pick.  It's complete revisionist history to suggest Becton was "can't miss" when he was taken. 

Rip Douglas for other moves if you'd like.  But at least give him credit for Becton.  He's already the best Jets draft pick since 2007.  

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Game looks so easy for him to the point that even his mistakes look like they'll be aberrations. Just a matter of this kid staying focused and he's going to be an all-pro. To be doing this a rookie is just astonishing.

Thank you so much Gettleman for taking the human turnstile that is Andrew Thomas. 

And the Browns for taking Wills. We are lucky Becton went to Louisville. Had he played at a premier program like Clemson, Ohio State, or Alabama, scouts and armchair GMs would have been salivating and he’d have been the unanimous top OL prospect.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, ID. said:

@Philc1 & @RobR were very high on him...

Those are the two guys I remember being very high on him. I warmed up to him in March and by April, I was digging the pick if he was the one. Really liked Andrew Thomas. Really liked CeeDee Lamb. Think my #1 guy was Lamb but I knew we were going LT and was fine with it. We needed one badly.