Alka

Why does the offensive line still stink? Except Becton

Didn't Joe Douglas spend lots of money in free agency on upgrading the offensive line?  Why, in the second half against the Bills, did Darnold not have time to throw the ball?  It seemed like he had 1 second before multiple players from the Bills defensive line were in Darnold's face.

I mean, outside of getting a top 10 draft pick on the offensive line, "Are the Jets not capable of recognizing competent players for the offensive line?"

Why hasn't Clark gotten a chance to play?  Is Van Roten that much better than Clark?  

I am lost for words.  I feel like if Darnold got more time yesterday, the Jets might actually have been able to win the game.  Darnold had no chance in the second half, and in my opinion, that was not his fault.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, Alka said:

Didn't Joe Douglas spend lots of money in free agency on upgrading the offensive line?  Why, in the second half against the Bills, did Darnold not have time to throw the ball?  It seemed like he had 1 second before multiple players from the Bills defensive line were in Darnold's face.

I mean, outside of getting a top 10 draft pick on the offensive line, "Are the Jets not capable of recognizing competent players for the offensive line?"

Why hasn't Clark gotten a chance to play?  Is Van Roten that much better than Clark?  

I am lost for words.  I feel like if Darnold got more time yesterday, the Jets might actually have been able to win the game.  Darnold had no chance in the second half, and in my opinion, that was not his fault.

Yes - no - maybe - maybe not- all of the above

35 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Aside from the players, stupid 'small athetic olienman and zone blocking'  I hate zone blocking schemes.  Oh fine for the running game, awful for pass protection.

Agreed

Next coach needs to switch to a Gap scheme like the Callahan/Rex days 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

because offensive lineman are very valuable and teams dont part with good ones JD added the best that was available in FA.  The pickins were slim. You need to draft them and you cant draft all 5 at one time.   He got the LT in the draft and that is a nice start.  blame mr coffee who ignored the offensive line each and every year

That’s not even remotely true.  He went bargain hunting and this is what you get.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Agreed

Next coach needs to switch to a Gap scheme like the Callahan/Rex days 

No, you need to sign good players.  That’s the way it works.  You need good players to win.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

No, you need to sign good players.  That’s the way it works.  You need good players to win.

Huh? 

Why can’t we do both? 

Most of them are on 1 year deals with outs provided they suck. Only McGovern was expected to stay and hes been disappointing, but maybe getting another Center in here and sliding him to Guard will see his performance increase

• Upvote 4

None of the guys the Jets signed were very good to begin with.  Then put them in a crap scheme.  This is what happens.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

Need a stud center to anchor the line. A Nick Mangold-type center changes the entire offense. 

So, Lawrence with the 1st pick and hopefully a top center with the 1st rounder we got from the Hawks.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

He spent moderately and even when Darnold has time he holds the ball too long.

Darnold does not scan the field, he locks onto his receiver, and could have easily thrown 3 picks yesterday.

The line could be better, but he's a flawed QB and is part of why the line looks bad at times.

Say it again with Tannehill inserted. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Like 1

The Jets had alot of holes to fill and less money at the beginning of FA than it appears like they had now.  

JD also is a bargain/value hunter.  

But the fact of the matter is that, in the draft, he somewhat outsmarted himself.  In the 3rd and 4th rounds, he did not need Davis, Zuniga, Morgan and Perrine, when he could have drafted a number of Gs and Cs available.  If he was serious about the OL/offense he would have spent 4 picks in the 3rd and 4th round on those players.  This would be a better team now.

But Fant is perfectly fine at RT.  McGovern has disappointed at C, but I think that is in large part because the Gs have not been good.  Lewis has never been durable and should be a reserve.  Andrews is not good and we should have kept Harrison.   Clark will be better.  We should have another at least one other C/G from the draft.  

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Gen X Jet said:

Say it again with Tannehill inserted. 

Ryan Tannehill’s worst year under Gase would be a career year for Darnold.

Stop pretending that Sam isn’t part of the problem and that getting him away from Gase will magically make him like Tannehill.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, DarnoldHomer said:

This Is a GREAT take and legitimate question.

some very good answers. Team picked up cast offs and one year deals and that was supposed to be an answer? Scheme is also interesting. The zone blocking scheme does seem to be an issue for pass protection.

1/2 of all responses are it’s Darnolds fault. 

Man. Lawrence would be BROKEN already if he started here when Darnold did. Dude isn’t touched at Clemson and has 10 better guys on offense then his opponents defense 90

percent of time. If he’s with Jets and this Cast of cast offs he’s a dead man walking. Kind of a trend with this organization 

Trevor Lawrence is already making pre-snap reads and protection checks at Clemson, something Sam can’t do after two and half years in the NFL, you absolute troll.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Need a stud center to anchor the line. A Nick Mangold-type center changes the entire offense. 

Creed Humphrey with the Seattle pick or our 1st pick of the 2nd round.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Nonsense, his points were valid.

Some of you guys seem to think we can take the next great prospect put him on the current jets and he will do well.  Utter balderdash.  Gase is a worse coach than 90% of the college coaches out there and the jets have 'The citadel ' level of talent on offense.

No they aren’t. There’s proof of Sam missing pre-snap reads.  There’s proof of Sam not picking up blitzes and checking into the right protection.  There’s proof of Sam missing wide open receivers.  There’s proof of Sam holding the ball too long.  The line, with all of these issues and injuries, is still ranked 20th in the league in pass protection.  Joe Burrow is in a situation as bad, if not worse than Sam, especially in regards to offensive line, and he’s putting up historic numbers.  Most of JDs offensive line acquisitions are currently grading out as above average starters.  The only one that isn’t is Conor McGovern, because he got off to a, admittedly, bad start.  However, he has played well as of late and is working his way up.

Stop.  Making.  Excuses.  Sam is just bad, and that has made the offensive line look worse than it is.  Nothing more.  Nothing less.  Your opinion doesn’t mean jack sh*t or make his points valid.  Especially when there is tangible proof of the opposite being true.  The endless list of excuses for Sam Darnold is the only “nonsense” being spewed.

Lastly, the next big prospect won’t be coming to the current Jets. He’ll be coming to a completely revamped team, totally rebuilt with free agents, draft picks, and an entirely new coaching staff.

• Upvote 2

Because they stink. Like others have said McGovern is the real disappointment. He was solid in Denver and has been bad. The other guys are just one year stop gap players so who cares 

6 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Because they stink. Like others have said McGovern is the real disappointment. He was solid in Denver and has been bad. The other guys are just one year stop gap players so who cares 

Becton, Lewis, Van Roten, and Fant are currently graded as above average starters.  Outside of the first 3 games, McGovern has played well, so he’s been a mixed bag.  They are ranked 20th in the league in pass protection.  The line isn’t that bad.  The guys they are tasked with protecting have made them look worse than they are.

• Upvote 3

Burrow is In as bad of a position as Darnold??? With AJ Green??  With Joe Mixon?  Tyler Boyd and Tee Higgins are better than Berrios Hogan and Perriman.  There is 2 guys 3 Xs as good as Darnolds options. I’ll dig more. I’m not a Bengals fan so don’t know Team all that well but I know those guys. 
gotta keep it real.....all of us do

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, DarnoldHomer said:

Burrow is In as bad of a position as Darnold??? With AJ Green??  With Joe Mixon?  There is 2 guys 3 Xs as good as Darnolds options. I’ll dig more. I’m not a Bengals fan so don’t know Team all that well but I know those guys. 
gotta keep it real.....all of us do

1. Learn how to use the quote function if you’re gonna stick around to troll this forum.

2. The corpse of AJ Green is not “3x as good as Darnold’s options”.  He would currently be behind Jamison Crowder in terms of statistics and Crowder has missed 3 games.  Joe Mixon is currently injured and Burrow still managed to account for 400+ yards and 4TDs yesterday.  Burrow has also been hit, pressured, and sacked more than any QB through their first 7 starts.  He’s been sacked 28 times already.  I’ve watched their games.  That is what a bad offensive line actually looks like.

Keep on “keeping it real though”. You’re completely wrong.

• Upvote 1

Hmmmm....so during Covid and 8 games In, your take is AJ Green is worse than Crowder??? Ok. Stats matter so that’s fair approach. Should we look at careers?????? Would that be keeping it real too?????

I thought Jamison Crowder, sams one and only option, until Mims suited up finally,was out last game. Does that matter???

3 hours ago, Alka said:

I’m not seeing what you’re saying. I mean, on a few plays the interior part of the OL collapses quickly but a lot of the game Darnold was just holding onto the ball for way too long. I felt like they got nice push in the run game for a while before Buffalo smothered the pass and made the run predictable.